• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart |OT| Next-gen just got riveting....

Some gripes I have so far:
  • Custom control layout sux, Remapping say L1 and R1 will also remap menu navigation making it super awkward, and button prompts when riding the snail still displays R1 hard coded but is no longer the true boost button since it was remapped, weirdly enough, the slow down when prompting you to press R1 only goes away when pressing R1 but again you still need to hold the true reassigned button to boost. This is quite the screw up here, I did set up a Custom layout that I really liked until I found this problem. I'm so disappointed, Returnal did an amazing job with this however, talk about tripping in front of the goal line.
  • You can't assign shortcuts to weapons on diagonals, so you have max 4 weapon shortcuts, it could have been 8. This is a missed opportunity, but I'll survive.
  • Photo mode, L2 and R2 has no analogue input, so you can't move around and admire the environment as smoothly as in some other games with better camera controls. This is nitpicking but could have been improved upon form Spiderman.
  • You can't turn off the camera reset/follow, I love games that let my camera stay in place, now I need to constantly readjust the camera manually to keep it in an elevated place or view direction when moving about.

Some other musings:
  • Game looks great in screen shots, but it almost feels like a lie, the game does not feel good to play at 30fps, the real game to me at least is the 60fps RT mode. So while the games design and world looks great, the 30fps mode images posted on social media is like a marketing gimmick, that doesn't represent the true experience you get in the end, unless you don't minde slide shows. So as I sit pretty close to my 75" TV, the 1440p resolution is quite noticeable low compared to Fidelity mode and I really whish I could eat and keep the cake here, like how I can with my RTX 3090 in many games, there I can keep all the bells and whistles on at 4K60fps, LOL. Yeah I know, it's not a fair comparison but I kind of whish they designed the game for 4K60fps from the start, they way Demons Souls were, that game looks soooo good it's not even funny. To me it feels like the PS5 was launched just a tad too early as AMD raytracing HW wasn't strong enough and it's the main culprit why games have to drop down to 1440p to maintain 60fps with RT on. With all that said, I'm still glad the game is even offering the option and hope all PS5 games keep these 60fps options up going forward. I just whish.... cake...

EDIT: OMG I've been playing the game at 1080p in RT mode due to the new PS5 120hz setting. My display can't do 4K 120hz but it can do 1080p 120hz so PS5 decided to out put the game at that resolution, no wonders I thought it looked so low res. So head up folks, if your display doesn't support 4K 120hz turn of PS5 120h Automatic setting.
The camera reset/follow can be turned off so you can manually control the camera. It was bugging me too, but it's in the options - Controls & Shortcuts - Camera Follow.

Last edited:
Ok this is actually insane.

I'm not a techie, so I'm asking this out of curiosity... I've heard lots about how R&C 'shows off the power of the PS5', and features things that are only possible on the PS5. So, theoretically - from a tech point of view - would it not be possible to run something like what R&C is doing on the Xbox Series X?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Real gamers can adapt to any framerate.

so funny life of the party GIF by HULU

Well played some more and some good and some bad.

The good. There is no way you could do the mine level on last gen or maybe anything else but a PC with a load of RAM. Very impressive and did add a lot to the level.

The bad. More bugs and now a black screen crash and my PS5 is stuck on the closing this game or app screen. Saw some people reporting it on Reddit so not just me.

Kholinar

Banned
I'm not a techie, so I'm asking this out of curiosity... I've heard lots about how R&C 'shows off the power of the PS5', and features things that are only possible on the PS5. So, theoretically - from a tech point of view - would it not be possible to run something like what R&C is doing on the Xbox Series X?
Unless we know the data throughput of all the rift sequences, no one could tell you with absolute certainty but the developers themselves. For all we know, a Series X would be able to run the sequences just as good.

Dommel

Is the 3D headset worth it if you already have 5.1 surround sound? Keep hearing everyone talk about 3d audio and tempest and all that but I already have a dedicated surround sound setup.

Any stereo headset will do.

I have a pretty good 5.1.2 system which sounds amazing but with the headset you just get that little bit more detail when something is happening outside the screen basically.

MaKTaiL

Regarding 30fps - me and a buddy of mine have been meaning to try Dying Light. Not because we'd be so into zombies, or the whole parkour thing. Just that we both know you can dropkick zombies in the game, and that's so stupid it sounds like it could be really fun together. As it is currently on sale on PSN, we decided why not.

I'm assuming (playing on a PS5) I get as close to the target frame rate as possible, that being 30fps, and it feels terrible. I had to turn down the right stick sensitivity, which will give me an disadvantage, but I just couldn't take it otherwise. Panning the camera is still very choppy despite that. Production values and budget aside, there are four words that separate that game and this running at 30fps: "Per-Object Motion Blur" (and a good implementation, naturally). It really does make that much of a difference, whether you agree with it being used or not.

Now that 60fps + RT is an option, sure I'll go for it. But something like Spider-Man or the previous R&C on a PS4/Pro (why not compare to other Insomniac titles given the thread), they were fine. I didn't feel I had to adjust the settings because the screen refreshing gave me a headache. So yeah, all hail motion blur, when done right.
Dying Light has too much motion blur and film grain effect. You can disable it but it is also horrible because a 30fps game needs a bit of motion blur to feel nice (which Insomniac games do wonderfully).

ManaByte

Gold Member
Dying Light has too much motion blur and film grain effect. You can disable it but it is also horrible because a 30fps game needs a bit of motion blur to feel nice (which Insomniac games do wonderfully).
I've been playing Dying Light at 60fps.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I played sotc at 15-20 fps. One of the greatest games of all time.

Mgs3 had several sections where the fps dipped to 20. Greatest game of all time.

I don't like botw but it won gotg here just a few months ago. Another game that dips below 30 all the time.

Every single goty winner in the last 10 years is a 30 fps game on consoles. Gamers dont give a shit.

If the 60 fps option wasnt available, no one would be complaining.

SlimySnake

Performance is stable in all three modes. That's something you can't say in games like The Medium and Cyberpunk for example. Of course I'm talking about the versions those games that do have FPS issues. It's nice when you get solid peformance in a game.

Isn't that right?
Yep. It's not just stable, its literally locked. It never ever drops a frame. Especially in 30 fps mode and yet people were seeing framedrops.

30 fps always looks like a slideshow if you have a toggle that lets you see 60 fps. I wonder how many people here had a ps4 pro because i went through the same thing with gow and sotc remake. I learned back then you never switch.

I have no fucking idea why insomniac is downgrading the visuals so much to run the game at double the framerate with the same frame budget. 1440p 60 fps is actually less than the frame budget of native 4k 30 fps. So what's going on here? Is it an engine limitation? Is it memory bandwidth? Is rt more expensive at 60 fps? Is the ps5 variable clock causing an issue here?

I really dislike how no one asked insmoniac about this when Spiderman miles came out because now they have ended up shipping a downgraded option that most gamers will choose after doing any comparisons. This fascination with a locked 60 fps is also silly. Some drops to mid 50s are things even pc gamers have to contend with.

The 120 hz fiasco is also dumb. 99% of the tv's can't do native 4k 120 fps so the resolution gets dropped to 1080p 120 fps for this 1440p rt mode. That's why some people might be seeing a blurry image.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Some people aren't framerate sensitive babies.

Real gamers can adapt to any framerate.
It's not that hard lol.

EDIT: Here comes the babies 🍼🍼🍼
I played sotc at 15-20 fps. One of the greatest games of all time.

Mgs3 had several sections where the fps dipped to 20. Greatest game of all time.

I don't like botw but it won gotg here just a few months ago. Another game that dips below 30 all the time.

Every single goty winner in the last 10 years is a 30 fps game on consoles. Gamers dont give a shit.

If the 60 fps option wasnt available, no one would be complaining.

ETRu_D3U8AAzaLh.jpg

Everyone who lived through PS1 and PS2 gens remembers the struggle. We accepted frame dips into the 10s and 15s whenever explosions happened or when more than three enemies appeared on screen at once in a 3d game. Games back then also had bad checkpointing, save data issues, and brutal difficulty with zero tutorial if you didn't have a manual when you bought it. We just adapted and dealt with it all instead of whining like children.

Also PC gamers don't pretend like it was a breeze running quake and doom at 60fps on your mom and dad's old busted up windows PC that took forever to load the OS and open word.

And now some of you are saying you can't handle a smooth 30fps? It's either hypocrisy, ignorance, or youth.

Yep. It's not just stable, its literally locked. It never ever drops a frame. Especially in 30 fps mode and yet people were seeing framedrops.

30 fps always looks like a slideshow if you have a toggle that lets you see 60 fps. I wonder how many people here had a ps4 pro because i went through the same thing with gow and sotc remake. I learned back then you never switch.

I have no fucking idea why insomniac is downgrading the visuals so much to run the game at double the framerate with the same frame budget. 1440p 60 fps is actually less than the frame budget of native 4k 30 fps. So what's going on here? Is it an engine limitation? Is it memory bandwidth? Is rt more expensive at 60 fps? Is the ps5 variable clock causing an issue here?

I really dislike how no one asked insmoniac about this when Spiderman miles came out because now they have ended up shipping a downgraded option that most gamers will choose after doing any comparisons. This fascination with a locked 60 fps is also silly. Some drops to mid 50s are things even pc gamers have to contend with.

The 120 hz fiasco is also dumb. 99% of the tv's can't do native 4k 120 fps so the resolution gets dropped to 1080p 120 fps for this 1440p rt mode. That's why some people might be seeing a blurry image.

John has a 45 minute interview with the tech director of Insomniac but I haven't finished watching it yet. Hopefully some of your questions get answered there.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Fuuuu I've bought the damn disc. I couldn't hold off the tech hype. I did not like 2016 game but I am willing to try this one. Installing... And I need some nice games to adore the new lg oled. Finally something to use hgig.
I have 48" tv on my desk so I will probably go with 4k mode. Rt performance is 1080p?

Last edited:
Just beat it…probably about 7 hours in total….game may be short but it was fun….don’t think I’ll be going back to do side quests or getting the guns I didn’t unlock

game was definitely a showpiece as to why we need to rip the bandaid off last gen

Played a solid 4ish hours last night. Can’t wait to play more today!

Says I am at 20% completion. Once again never trust those YouTube speed runs to assume a game’s length. Add in all the fun with photo mode and you have even more time with the game.

Also the option in audio to actually have an audio profile for the 3D Pulse headset is fantastic. Flipping between the different ones there was a noticeable difference.

An amazing next gen experience! Also the accessibility options and the fact the easiest mode means you can’t die has been great for my 5 year old son who is loving the game as well.

Insomniac is on fire with the PS5.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Just beat it…probably about 7 hours in total….game may be short but it was fun….don’t think I’ll be going back to do side quests or getting the guns I didn’t unlock

game was definitely a showpiece as to why we need to rip the bandaid off last gen

7 hours rushed... game is not short at all. All the side stuff is just so much fun. You are missing out on a lot of cool stuff

SlimySnake

Fuuuu I've bought the damn disc. I couldn't hold off the tech hype. I did not like 2016 game but I am willing to try this one. Installing... And I need some nice games to adore the new lg oled. Finally something to use hgig.
I have 48" tv on my desk so I will probably go with 4k mode. Rt performance is 1080p?
1440p drs but mostly stays at 1440p.

Remember to redo the hdr calibration on the ps5 after enabling hgig.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Nah, gaming's flat earthers are the dudes who analyze Aloy's face for any and all imperfections so that they can look for an industry-wide agenda. They'd do it to Rivet too if she was a humanoid.

Oh I'm sure there's already a HateTube video about Rivet. We have haven't seen the hot take parroted here...yet.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Just beat. Exactly 50% on the trophy front, mostly focused on story at default difficulty. Good times. Really cool credits. Looking forward to any DLC, especially if it's set after the events of this game.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Just beat. Exactly 50% on the trophy front, mostly focused on story at default difficulty. Good times. Really cool credits. Looking forward to any DLC, especially if it's set after the events of this game.

Have they ever done Ratchet DLC?

Ogbert

Just finished it.

Really enjoyable. Looks incredible. Fun combat. Reviews are about right. The actual game is quite small and the gameplay doesn’t develop in any meaningful way. Still, lots of fun and I’m sure I’ll go back to get the platinum.

Got to be honest though, that £70 entry price still stings, but that’s a different discussion.

Just reaching the end of my second playthrough and just got the platinum trophy!

What an incredible experience. I’m delighted with the length too, I find it hard to finish games upwards of 25 hours unless I’m really invested these days, they just take so long to finish and the most part, half of it is filler. I loved every moment of this game from start to finish, little to no filler content, beautiful environments the whole way through.

Last edited:

Gargauth

ETRu_D3U8AAzaLh.jpg

Everyone who lived through PS1 and PS2 gens remembers the struggle. We accepted frame dips into the 10s and 15s whenever explosions happened or when more than three enemies appeared on screen at once in a 3d game. Games back then also had bad checkpointing, save data issues, and brutal difficulty with zero tutorial if you didn't have a manual when you bought it. We just adapted and dealt with it all instead of whining like children.

Also PC gamers don't pretend like it was a breeze running quake and doom at 60fps on your mom and dad's old busted up windows PC that took forever to load the OS and open word.

And now some of you are saying you can't handle a smooth 30fps? It's either hypocrisy, ignorance, or youth.
What you are advocating for is stagnation.
All aspects of games should evolve...graphics, animations, gameplay, physics, AI, simulation and smoothness. But for some obscure reason there are those that prefer graphics over anything else. But games should evolve in all those areas, not just one, otherwise they start to feel old no matter how amazingly photorealistic they make them.

Besides I would also like to point out that lower framerate in less complex scenes were not an issue. Nowadays these scenes are complex with lot of visual clutter and effects that make them difficult to absorb all visual information at such a low framerates (30fps)/

SlimySnake

All aspects of games should evolve...graphics, animations, gameplay, physics, AI, simulation and smoothness. But for some obscure reason there are those that prefer graphics over anything else. But games should evolve in all those areas, not just one, otherwise they start to feel old no matter how amazingly photorealistic they make them.

Besides I would also like to point out that lower framerate in less complex scenes were not an issue. Nowadays these scenes are complex with lot of visual clutter and effects that make them difficult to absorb all visual information at such a low framerates (30fps)/
But he's not doing that?

You do realize graphics, animations, physics, AI simulation and even some gameplay mechanics are reason why devs choose to target 30 fps instead of 60 fps right? We WANT those things over just double the framerate or double the resolution. That's why we are willing to settle for 30 fps. So we can get genre defining games again.

The last thing I want is GPU and CPU power going towards rendering 60 fps at the expense of physics and AI simulation.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ok I've just beaten the game, collected all meaningful items except 7/9 CraiggerBears which I won't look for as I'm not a trophy hunter. So finishing all side missions/challenges at around ~24 hours total at highest difficulty. Enjoyed every second in this game!

Easy 10/10, best platformer ever made.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

You misunderstand. I'm not saying 'yes, keep making games 30fps and below for graphical sakes', I'm saying 'Don't forget your roots'.
Too many people are acting like they've never seen fps below 60 or they're suddenly too good for it. Cut it out.

SlimySnake

I wanted to make this post yesterday but figured I'd sleep on it and see if my disappointment would subside, but nope.

This game retroactively makes me dislike the Horizon demo. It's not just the dimension switching tech, it's overall screen density and level of detail that is so far ahead of Horizon, it makes Horizon feel dated even if it doesn't look dated. Literally every scene has dozens of NPCs, hundreds of space ships flying over your head all with their own sound sources and lighting that just looks a generation ahead of anything else out there. I hate to use this comparison, but even during gameplay it looks like a pixar movie. During cutscenes it looks better than pixar movies.

I watched the Horizon trailer again last night. It looks great, but the game with its tiny skirmishes and sparse wildlife made it feel so lifeless. It felt like a game. A very pretty game, but still just a game. Ratchet's visuals transport you into the world. Maybe it's the 3d audio and Horizon will feel next gen when you start hearing the birds chirping and wind simulations around you, but the lack of NPCs (human, robot or wildlife) really really hurts.

Even GoW devs manage to make the PS5 version look photorealistic, they will just not be able to insert that level of NPC population in the PS5 version without having two different teams make two different versions.

Lastly, the ssd loading is the real deal. It looked like a gimmick in the first trailer, and maybe it still is, but actually playing through that level was mind boggling. The speed at which ratchet was traveling and just the visual quality of those levels loading in and out of memory in a flash were hard to fathom. It's the first true holy shit moment I have had, but I was mostly just left stunned even though i've seen that trailer like 10 times already.

Last edited:
Top Bottom