• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart |OT| Next-gen just got riveting....

makaveli60

Finished the first level, first impressions:

Guys, this is it. Nextgen has arrived.
I cannot believe what I’m seeing/playing. This lovely feeling when you play the first nextgen game. The same feeling I had with Infamous Second Son on PS4 or Oblivion on Xbox 360. Unbelievable. Playable Pixar movie indeed. I hope so much that this crossgen period ends sooner rather than later as if this is what a game can do designed around a nextgen console so early in the gen then we are in for a treat again and I cannot even imagine what insane experiences developers will provide after leaving lastgen behind.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned

I cannot believe what I’m seeing/playing. This lovely feeling when you play the first nextgen game. The same feeling I had with Infamous Second Son on PS4 or Oblivion on Xbox 360. Unbelievable. Playable Pixar movie indeed. I hope so much that this crossgen period ends sooner rather than later as if this is what a game can do designed around a nextgen console so early in the gen then we are in for a treat again and I cannot even imagine what insane experiences developers will provide after leaving lastgen behind.

Raonak

Banned
5 hours in ...
This game is amazing on all levels.

The visuals are the best I've ever seen! It's one of those "graphics cannot look better" moments. The sound is top notch, the dualsense is used well, the gameplay is fantastic, a definite improvement over 2016. And the story is very interesting.

Pixar was NOT hyperbole. Look at how high quality every part of the game is. There is nothing lacking.

Insomniac has outdone themselves.

Last edited:

Garani

Stop lying.
Is this the right profile? I may be wrong, who knows...

nKGaD4g.jpg

Markio128

Gold Member
Just spent my first few hours with the game and I have to say it is absolutely staggering. Honestly, I’m in my 40’s and I have never experienced any game that plays so well, with such visual splendour. Walking straight into those other dimensions is pure magic. It’s difficult to take it all in at times. Seriously, Insomniac have raised the visual bar and I wish every other developer the best of luck beating this one.

Esca

Think I hit a bug that is stopping my progression. Not that far in and on Corson V, when I follow the phantom after the night club he just gets to the bolt i can't unscrew and sits there. If I run away and comeback he's gone. I'm stuck. Am I missing something or is this a bug?

Edit:

Was able to manually load a save and the ham me keeps back up saves so I loaded one that was before the area and it worked, probably lost 15 minutes from where I was previously

Last edited:

Interfectum

I don't think the official PlayStation profiles page supports PS5 games yet. I usually use PSN Profiles for everything.

Garani

nKGaD4g.jpg

Dude wtf do you just play a tiny bit of a few games so you can go on forums and troll? E for life? Game Pass is going to save you financially. Holy hell.

WTF. Is this true? I have never seen anything like this.

Cool down, every one. He said his ID tag is "Riky", but he didn't link it, so I may have found the wrong profile.

I don't think the official PlayStation profiles page supports PS5 games yet. I usually use PSN Profiles for everything.

Actually it may be an issue with the Playstation Profile. This is mine:

Zn5usLr.jpg

There are no mentions of PS5 games. I believe that an apology to Riky Riky is due. He actually may very well have a PS5 and be playing R&C.

Last edited:
Think I hit a bug that is stopping my progression. Not that far in and on Corson V, when I follow the phantom after the night club he just gets to the bolt i can't unscrew and sits there. If I run away and comeback he's gone. I'm stuck. Am I missing something or is this a bug?
I founf a bug yesterday against my 1st fight with Dr Nefarious , at a certain point in the fight he would unleash the frogs then he would go in the background and stayed there , i had to reload the game then everything was fine

GameSeeker

Fully agree. This morning I played some R&C (2016) before starting R&C: Rift Apart. The leap between the two games is amazing.

R&C: Rift Apart is a true next gen game on all levels:
1) Gameplay - Most of it is standard R&C fare, but the pocket zones and portals bring a new gameplay mechanic that can't be done on any last-gen platform. I love seeing gameplay innovation, even more than improved graphics/sound.
2) Graphics - 4K raytraced graphics (optional 60 fps 1440p raytraced) with a world density that is amazing. The high quality of the models, materials and textures shows in every nook and cranny. Play on the best 4K HDR display you can. Nothing else you have seen will compare.
3) Sound - Play the game with headphones and the 3D sound will blow you away.
4) Control - DualSense haptics are just fabulous and really adds to the immersion of every bit of gameplay activity.

My prediction: No game in 2021 will top R&C: Rift Apart in next-gen gameplay, graphics, sound and control. Not from Sony or any other publisher.

I even suspect that R&C: Rift Apart won't get topped till late 2022, give how many cross-gen games are still coming from Sony and other publishers. No cross-gen game is going to touch R&C:Rift Apart.

Esca

I founf a bug yesterday against my 1st fight with Dr Nefarious , at a certain point in the fight he would unleash the frogs then he would go in the background and stayed there , i had to reload the game then everything was fine
Tried reloading. Think I'll going to delete it and re-download it and hope that fixes it. So angry I'm a huge r&c so this is so frustrating

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
N35BzyC.jpeg

The game is graphically stunning. Performance RT is the way to play.
This looks like those nvidia rt demos.

gavriil-klimov-thumb.jpg

I think the armors on Demon Souls would benefitted from some ray traced reflections. Thats why I was onboard with Alex's suggestion to go with full RT in Halo Infinite. Craig and other Elites wouldve looked much better with ray traced reflective armor.

SCB3

Just played through the first few levels/areas and my god this game is gorgeous! It honestly feels like playing through a cartoon

And thats not even to mention the gameplay, which is always fun in R&C tbf, Rivet seems pretty cool as well and I've having a great time on hard, where it feels fair most of the time.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I fucking hate the patch\copy system in the ps5, 1 hour and it still find stuff to download or copy, i swear he downloaded like 3 patches and now is making the second or third copy...just fucking download and copy everything at the same time and one time only ffs, and the console wasn't even in rest mode, just let me fucking play :ROFLMAO:

And this shit is what console only players call "plug and play", jesus fuck:lollipop_squinting:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I am on planet 6. From what I read there are 9 planets. I have around 3 hours total playtime. I can see this game lasting around 6ish hours to beat if it holds pace. All the reviews made it seem longer. I've read some other people saying it can be beat pretty quickly.

Gameplay wise it is just a pretty basic third person shooter. It hasn't changed much from the previous games. It's ok I guess, but never really all that thrilling.

There are a decent amount of cutscenes. The story is garbage (what I expected). They could have thrown some more decent humor into it to liven things up a bit. None of the dialogue is interesting or funny.

Graphics are probably the best I have seen. The art style and way the rifts work is really impressive.

Not sure I understand all the super high review scores. Take away the fancy tech and the game itself is incredibly average in every other way. It's the type of game you beat in a weekend and forget about completely by Monday.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Would love to be playing right now, but Best Buy shipped what was supposed to be a release day delivery late.

rofif

Banned
Are there still these terrible clank levels like in 2016 game?
Does weapon slots still autochange by itself like in 2016 game?
I will probably get this tomorrow... or returnal

few thoughts about my time with the game so far. Tried all 3 modes but fidelity mode looks the best (obviously). The soft image of the performance RT mode just didn’t sit well with me. I can easily tell it’s lower resolution, especially with detail in the distance.

Other thing is, some of the RT reflections have a really grainy look to them and they seem to lag behind the rest of the game by a few frames and has a bit of a motion blur to it. Probably due to their denoiser or something. It can be quite distracting at some points. Spider-Man didn’t do it this badly.

MaKTaiL

Just a heads up guys: if your TV does not have 120hz support (HDMI 2.1) and you plan on playing on Performance RT/Performance Modes make sure you set 120hz Output from Automatic to Disabled on the PS5 video settings otherwise the game will switch to 1080p signal when playing on these modes. Pretty weird.

I am on planet 6. From what I read there are 9 planets. I have around 3 hours total playtime. I can see this game lasting around 6ish hours to beat if it holds pace. All the reviews made it seem longer. I've read some other people saying it can be beat pretty quickly.

Gameplay wise it is just a pretty basic third person shooter. It hasn't changed much from the previous games. It's ok I guess, but never really all that thrilling.

There are a decent amount of cutscenes. The story is garbage (what I expected). They could have thrown some more decent humor into it to liven things up a bit. None of the dialogue is interesting or funny.

Graphics are probably the best I have seen. The art style and way the rifts work is really impressive.

Not sure I understand all the super high review scores. Take away the fancy tech and the game itself is incredibly average in every other way. It's the type of game you beat in a weekend and forget about completely by Monday.
How the heck are you on planet 6 after 3 hours? Are you literally speedrunning, skipping every cutscene, not collecting anything and playing on the easiest difficulty?

ManaByte

Gold Member

nKGaD4g.jpg

The profile section of the PlayStation website won't show PS5 trophies yet.

To view them you have to be on the system or mobile app.

MaKTaiL

I have 5h and I'm still on Planet 2. You are probably not exploring at all.

Silvawuff

Just spent 3 hours playing around the first areas. This game is stunning! My brain is still spinning from just how good it looks and plays.

Insomniac really outdid themselves in every respect. Like, holy shit guys.

This is a game that I will be enjoying for a while, and it makes me excited for what's to come.

Edit: I was trying to touch on the feeling I was getting while playing this game for the first time, and looking back, that was the same feeling of absolute awe I got when Mario 64 came out.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This game sure is eye candy.

I was battling to pick up either this or Scarlet Nexus. I went with the former. Hopefully no regrets.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
What's the best 4K gameplay video to watch out there? Any good videos of people playing a significant portion of the game?

Top Bottom