• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart PC features revealed

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

PC features​

• Blast your way through an interdimensional adventure as Ratchet and Clank make their way to PC for the very first time!
  • Wrap your eyes around delightful, diverse dimensions, with ultra-wide support for 21:9, 32:9, and 48:9 (triple monitor support) resolutions!*
  • See the omniverse brought to life with the option of unlocked frame rates! You can also enjoy ray-traced reflections, as well as newly added, ray-traced shadows for exteriors.**
  • Witness the latest upscaling technologies, including NVIDIA DLSS 3, AMD FSR 2, Intel XeSS and Insomniac Games’ Temporal Injection. NVIDIA Reflex and image quality-enhancing NVIDIA DLAA are also supported. Tailor a variety of graphics quality options to a range of devices, from high-end PCs to portable PC gaming devices.
  • Play with the DualSense™ controller to experience haptic feedback and dynamic trigger effects.*** Or choose mouse and keyboard – with a wide range of control customization options.
  • Includes support for achievements and cloud saves on PC game launchers.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

GreatnessRD

I am happy to see this coming to PC for those who will partake! With that said...

FUCK THIS SHIT, SONY! WHERE THE FUCK IS GHOST OF TSUISHIMA? DON'T MAKE ME GET TOO FUCKIN' LOUD, JIM-MAY!

Bojji

What does storage speed even have to do with resolution?

Nothing.

But for sure this game will run like shit on HDD. I switched to SSD years ago and even them some games on HDD were stuttering (and this was before shader cache issues!).

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Nothing.

But for sure this game will run like shit on HDD. I switched to SSD years ago and even them some games on HDD were stuttering (and this was before shader cache issues!).
Were they using DirectStorage 1.2 with GPU decompression?

PeteBull

Few more days, guys and im sure we will get proper deep video about pc requirements/how game looks/runs from DF, just be bit more patient ;D

it's crazy how tech illiterate many people on this site are. and yes you indeed outed yourself as having no clue :)
Pretty sad you can't have an intellectual honest conversation so again tell me with the hardware minimum recommendations Insomniac provided what will Ratchet run @

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Replaying in ultrawide at 240 fps

hot alyssa milano GIF

Banned
Pretty sad you can't have an intellectual honest conversation so again tell me with the hardware minimum recommendations Insomniac provided what will Ratchet run @

tell me how the speed of your storage has anything to do with the framerate and render resolution of your game :)

hlm666

it's crazy how tech illiterate many people on this site are. and yes you indeed outed yourself as having no clue :)
The HDD thing must be like a sun, people see it and are blinded and can't even see the gtx970/rx480 gpu reqs. I'm sure an ssd will get that 970 and it's 3.5gb vram rockin at native 4k.

Banned
The HDD thing must be like a sun, people see it and are blinded and can't even see the gtx970/rx480 gpu reqs. I'm sure an ssd will get that 970 and it's 3.5gb vram rockin at native 4k.
we all know without the SSD, PS5 games would look like N64 🤣

tell me how the speed of your storage has anything to do with the framerate and render resolution of your game :)
Wait what? You're confusing me with someone else I've only pointed out what resolution and framerate one would get if they opted for minimum recommendations and that included using a HDD and only 8 GB ram along with a gtx 960 or rx 470

Banned
Wait what? You're confusing me with someone else I've only pointed out what resolution and framerate one would get if they opted for minimum recommendations and that included using a HDD and only 8 GB ram along with a gtx 960 or rx 470

you quoted someone who said that the game would need to run at 720p if played on an HDD... and added "don't forget 30fps"

you quoted someone who said that the game would need to run at 720p if played on an HDD... and added "don't forget 30fps"
Exactly the only place HDD shows up is on "minimum" if someone can brute force it with a HDD more power to them I can't wait to see what that looks like but with the pre release information Nixxes recommends an SSD literally everywhere else and all I see on this site is HDD. I'm moving on have a good one just didn't appreciate you coming at me I'm not here for that I'm all chill

Banned
Exactly the only place HDD shows up is on "minimum" if someone can brute force it with a HDD more power to them I can't wait to see what that looks like but with the pre release information Nixxes recommends an SSD literally everywhere else and all I see on this site is HDD. I'm moving on have a good one just didn't appreciate you coming at me I'm not here for that I'm all chill

...but the fact is that the resolution and framerate is completely independent from your storage... who the fuck cares what the minimum specs are? that's 100% irrelevant in this discussion about it being playable on an HDD

JaksGhost

...but the fact is that the resolution and framerate is completely independent from your storage... who the fuck cares what the minimum specs are? that's 100% irrelevant in this discussion about it being playable on an HDD
You're just going to hop your ass into every thread on this game yelling about an HDD huh?

damidu

oh man this pathetic ps5 ssd-bash stuff will never end right?
cerny sure made a number on these morons.
i bet they are still trying to figure out how 10.3 can be equal to 12 as well.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
“It would be impossible without SSD!”

Game that literally runs straight from a spinning disc on PlayStation 3:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Some not only drank the Cerny's kool-aid, they also made it their diet.

Can't believe one have to explain that an storage unit doesn't give any processing power, that it also servers to remove bottlenecks in I/O if the data stream is heavy in real time, but that can also be alleviated by pre-loading the data.

BTW, there are a shitton of features in this port, I hope the polishing is also good... That's my most wanted PS5 exclusive to date.

Edit: Someone tell SDD worshippers that they can't download RAM from internet, just in case

Edit 2: To be fair with Cerny, he's an incredibly respetable engineer so I retire the "kool-aid" reference I made, people makes their own kool-aid and drink it using Cerny's words should be a better way to say it

Last edited:

Holammer

It mentions Insomniac's own 'Temporal Injection' in the upscaling technologies. It's been around since the Ratchet & Clank 2016 reboot on the PS4 and I guess it's an improved checkerboard variant using the previous frame. Spiderman on Playstation used it too, but this will be the first PC title.
I'm sure Digital Foundry will do a thorough test of all the technologies.

Also, could you assholes stop flinging shit in every Rift Apart thread for five minutes? FIVE MINUTES!

Screenshot_2018-09-03_Are_we_there_yet_-_Shrek_2_-_YouTube.png

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
https://blog.playstation.com/2023/07/18/ratchet-clank-rift-apart-pc-specs-and-new-features-revealed/

Next week, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart is launching on PC! Many of you have asked for details about the technologies used and system requirements. Today we are answering those questions, and on top of that, we have some exciting new feature announcements.

To ensure a smooth dimension-hopping experience, our team implemented DirectStorage 1.2 in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC, including GPU decompression.

Richard van der Laan, Senior Lead Programmer at Nixxes Software, explains: “To enable quick loading and instant transition between dimensions, the game needs to be able to load assets quickly. DirectStorage ensures quick loading times, and GPU decompression is used at high graphics settings to stream assets in the background while playing. Traditionally, this decompression is handled by the CPU, but at a certain point, there is an advantage to letting the GPU handle this, as this enables a higher bandwidth for streaming assets from storage to the graphics card. We use this to quickly load high-quality textures and environments with a high level of detail.”

Principal Programmer Alex Bartholomeus: “For Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC, we added adaptive streaming based on live measurement of the available hardware bandwidth. This allows us to tailor the texture streaming strategy for the best possible texture streaming on any configuration. With DirectStorage, the use of a fast NVMe SSD and GPU decompression, this results in very responsive texture streaming even at the highest settings.”

DirectStorage is developed to fully utilize the speed of fast PCIe NVMe SSDs, but the technology is also compatible with SATA SSDs and even traditional hard disk drives. This means Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC can use the same technology for loading data, regardless of the storage device in your system.

Ray-Traced Ambient Occlusion and XeGTAO​

In our initial announcement, we shared that Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart on PC will feature ray-traced reflections and newly added ray-traced shadows for natural outdoor light. Today we can reveal the addition of another option that will further enhance the realism of light in the game: Ray-Traced Ambient Occlusion, with various quality levels to choose from.

Graphics Programmer Menno Bil explains: “Ambient occlusion is a technique used in games to simulate how ambient lighting affects a scene. Ambient lighting is a form of indirect lighting: the light reflected from other surfaces. This effect mostly appears at creases, cracks, and corners where surfaces are close to each other. Commonly used AO techniques are SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion) and HBAO+ (Horizon-Based Ambient Occlusion). These are not very demanding on the hardware, but they do not provide physically accurate results. RTAO utilizes ray tracing further to enhance the realism of ambient occlusion in the game. We have implemented RTAO as an addition for those with high-end systems with ray-tracing compatible hardware and processing power to spare.”

Menno and the team also implemented XeGTAO, Intel’s implementation of Ground-Truth Ambient Occlusion. Like SSAO and HBAO+, this solution is based on screen space. Therefore, this technique does not enable the level of realism that RTAO does, but the performance cost is much lower and comparable to that of the HBAO+ implementation. XeGTAO is selectable as an option in the game and works with graphics cards from all vendors.

“XeGTAO generates a very high-resolution ambient occlusion that shows even the smallest details in geometry,” says Bil. “Overall, the output quality of XeGTAO is very high and results in a pleasant look.”

System Requirements​

Now that we have detailed all the features of Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart for PC, it is time to tell you more about the system requirements. When making a PC version of a game, we put a lot of work into scalability. Additions like ray-traced shadows, ray-traced ambient occlusion, and triple-screen support are aimed at those with the latest and greatest hardware so they can push their systems. With highly customizable graphics and features, we make the game scale to less powerful systems to make it accessible for as many gamers as possible. Below is an overview of the recommended specifications for a variety of graphical presets.

While Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart can be enjoyed using an HDD and the minimum system requirements, we encourage players to use an SSD in combination with the recommended system requirements or higher, to experience the game’s signature dimension-hopping gameplay as originally intended.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Just curious, as someone that hasn't purchased a Playstation Studios game on PC yet: If I'm using an Xbox controller to play, do the button prompts change? Or do they always show DualSense prompts?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It mentions Insomniac's own 'Temporal Injection' in the upscaling technologies. It's been around since the Ratchet & Clank 2016 reboot on the PS4 and I guess it's an improved checkerboard variant using the previous frame. Spiderman on Playstation used it too, but this will be the first PC title.
I'm sure Digital Foundry will do a thorough test of all the technologies.

Also, could you assholes stop flinging shit in every Rift Apart thread for five minutes? FIVE MINUTES!
Spidey on PC uses IGTI which is Insomniac's solution. Nobody uses though because it's worse than DLSS, FSR or XeSS.

Y’all really need to learn how to debate with getting all riled up over hardware components. It was annoying to read because the other person wasn’t even defending themselves that aggressively.

Top Bottom