• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall – “Welcome to Redfall” Official Trailer

Zathalus

I'm not really sure how anyone gets the impression of L4D clone from this trailer.

Unless they have never played L4D, because that game doesn't have skill trees, RPG loot drops, open-world design, or the ability to play the game properly solo.

It's far more Borderlands than it is L4D.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I was just playing bl3 and it's excellent once you mute the dialog.

And redfall looks even better with better dialog too! I'm day one, no question!!

Yeah, the game play and structure weren't the games problems.

The terrible cringe humor and dialogue was. The game play in BL3 is solid.

splattered

Imo bl3 was largely ruined by their main villain choice... So lame. Though I've only played through to the Jacobs swamp area. Haven't beaten it yet.

clarky

Gold Member
This from the creative director of Prey & Moon crash and Harvey Smith. Can't see this being shit, like at all. These guys have made some of the best games of all time.

An FPS + RPG in an open world, Single player which can be played co-op. With loot. What am i missing ? Sounds great.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I remember watching e3 conferences with a bunch of guys I used to play with. Every reveal: this'll be crap. Ugh, lol at the animation there. This is just [other game] with new graphics.

I can't help but wish that video games fans weren't so desperate to tell everyone what they're not interested in. It's so boring, it's so toxic, it's a waste of everyone's time.

Wildebeest

I'll just say that if you stay in a bubble of people who make their living from games and often get your games for free, then you can have all the positivity and support you want. Warm hugs all round, no matter what you do.

clarky

Gold Member
I'll just say that if you stay in a bubble of people who make their living from games and often get your games for free, then you can have all the positivity and support you want. Warm hugs all round, no matter what you do.
I've got no idea what this means.

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

This game is not forced co-op.

This game is also nothing like back 4 blood or left 4 dead.

This is some of the laziest attempt at trolls, you don't even know what the game is in the first place.
No one does as it hasn’t been released. Trailer shows 4 players with scripted dialogue. Based my opinion on the information available. These games come and go and I doubt this will be any different. Player population will likely fall off a cliff after the 1st month

Daytonabot

Banned
According to some of you, most game studios will collapse in 20 years when their creative leads eventually retire 😂
Most of them already have...

When I was young, I thought publishers mattered. I eventually came to realize that it was the developers. However, it really is a very small handful of talented individuals, and many of them are retired or soon will be.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So was Destiny. I hope the game does well but wish devs would make single player focused games. Cut the extra shit cause those resources could be used to improve other areas.

So was Borderlands. And Borderlands was as fun solo as with a friend / group of friends.

clarky

Gold Member
No one does as it hasn’t been released. Trailer shows 4 players with scripted dialogue. Based my opinion on the information available. These games come and go and I doubt this will be any different. Player population will likely fall off a cliff after the 1st month
What is it about this population obsession these days? Play game, enjoy, move on.

At this point, it's unclear how this game will play. Could be great, could be poop. So surprising to see so many already "knowing" how it will turn out.
So far my biggest issue is the cringe dialogue, but everything else sounds interesting.

If it plays smoothly, I think it will be a potential blast.

SteadyEvo

So was Borderlands. And Borderlands was as fun solo as with a friend / group of friends.
Borderlands was generic and boring
Game looks very generic, the gunplay and enemies look kind of weightless and boring and last but not least, the dialogue, holy shit I hate that crap so much. The same copy pasted annoying "quirky" dialogue from the usual wannabe AAA studios, I literally can't tell the difference between these annoying as fuck characters and the hundreds other generic ones from other games doing the same lame, inoffensive, bland jokes throughout the game as if this shit is entertaining or smart. They might as well make them mute, at least it would be far less annoying.
Someone with good test appears

SteadyEvo

What is it about this population obsession these days? Play game, enjoy, move on.
It’s a metric to gauge quality. My prediction is the game will suck so I listed population as a way to prove my point.

Why comment here if that’s how I feel? Because the concept and look of the game are intriguing but will likely be held back by making it coop. Obviously the game can be played solo but when is the last time AI was dependable?

clarky

Gold Member
It’s a metric to gauge quality. My prediction is the game will suck so I listed population as a way to prove my point.

Why comment here if that’s how I feel? Because the concept and look of the game are intriguing but will likely be held back by making it coop. Obviously the game can be played solo but when is the last time AI was dependable?
There is no AI in this game.

Its a metric to gauge popularity of multiplayer games mainly, not quality you lunatic. By that thinking Fortnite is the best game ever made (its not). If this get 10's across the board sell's 15 million copies but 3 months later drops out of the steam charts your saying its wont have been a success? I suppose It takes two fucking sucked as well because that game had about as much of a "population" as Deathloop.
Its almost as useless as Metacritic.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Most of them already have...

When I was young, I thought publishers mattered. I eventually came to realize that it was the developers. However, it really is a very small handful of talented individuals, and many of them are retired or soon will be.

The vast majority of their collapses have come from poor financial decisions, making the wrong type of game or making games that don’t hit sales success.

For example, people cite the likes of Prey and Dishonored as Arkane at their best. But those games sold very poorly. If they didn’t have Bethesda backing, they could have been in deep shit. Same way Obsidian - with all their talent - were struggling. Ditto for Platinum.

Sometimes you make the wrong bet or your bets don’t pay off. That’s the bigger threat to studios.

If the studio culture is well entrenched and you don’t have mass departures, there’s usually succession planning in place to bring up new talent.

Shmunter

MS buys Bathesda to strengthen portfolio diversity. Bathesda studios proceed to make teen fad games that all blend into one, in the hopes to strike it rich.

It would be amusing if it weren’t so sad to lose one of the remaining immersive sim masters to such bankrupt pursuits.

Let’s hope the pendulum swings back once 9/10 of these are proven to fail.

Last edited:

reksveks

When you play solo, there isn't a ai companion. It's just your character.

Sorry, just saw Clarky beat me to it.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
MS buys Bathesda to strengthen portfolio diversity. Bathesda studios proceed to make teen fad games that all blend into one, in the hopes to strike it rich.

It would be amusing if it weren’t so sad to lose one of the remaining immersive sim masters to such bankrupt pursuits.

Pretty much all of Arkanes games have done fuck all at retail, so your hoping for more failures so that they can fail some more?

Thank fuck your not in charge.

Edit :What other "teen fad games" do you speak of?

This game was in development long before MS bought them, this is on Arkane. And i dont think they bought bethesda to straighten "portfolio diversity" youve pulled that straight out of your ass. They hardly had a portfolio at all lol.

Last edited:

When was last time Bethesda games impressed in trailors?

They all were ridiculed before release, be it Deathloop, Prey, Doom etc.

But they all turned out to be masterpiece. This game has potential to follow same lines. In fact i would be surprised if it didn't turned out groundbreaking.

Ozriel

M$FT

Redfall development started in 2017. Years before Microsoft bought Bethesda.

Could have sworn you pledged to stop trolling in threads about xbox console exclusives?

rHmhTXb.jpg

Shmunter

Redfall development started in 2017. Years before Microsoft bought Bethesda.

Could have sworn you pledged to stop trolling in threads about xbox console exclusives?

rHmhTXb.jpg
Sorry, you have me confused. I don’t subscribe to the construct of trolling based on hurt fanboy fee fees, so there could never have been a pledge.

Neither did I state this game started development under MS.

I don’t care this is an Xbox game, I care this is an Arkane game. But I suspect I know why you would be defending it like your life depended on it.

Look for someone else.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Neither did I state this game started development under MS.

Look for someone else.

You should really string your words properly, then. Because your post insinuates that Bethesda proceeded to make Redfall post-purchase. Meanwhile, the existence of the game would have been disclosed to Microsoft.

I don’t subscribe to the construct of trolling based on hurt fanboy fee fees, so there could never have been a pledge.

So if you’re not trolling because your fanboy feelings are hurt, is in an affordability issue? A health issue? A cry for relevance/engagement?

Shmunter

You should really string your words properly, then. Because your post insinuates that Bethesda proceeded to make Redfall post-purchase. Meanwhile, the existence of the game would have been disclosed to Microsoft.

So if you’re not trolling because your fanboy feelings are hurt, is in an affordability issue? A health issue? A cry for relevance/engagement?
Isn’t it obvious, it’s a YOU issue

Ozriel

M$FT
What elements in an endlessly replayable co op game in 2022 are not GaaS elements? Please define what this game is if you know for certain.

There are specific definitions for ‘Games as a Service’. Replayability is not one of them. Might as well call Elden Ring a GaaS game 😂

When you’re on an enthusiast gaming forum, Less time trolling and more time learning should help you understand these definitions better.

Shmunter

There are specific definitions for ‘Games as a Service’. Replayability is not one of them. Might as well call Elden Ring a GaaS game 😂

When you’re on an enthusiast gaming forum, Less time trolling and more time learning should help you understand these definitions better.
Are you an enthusiast?

clarky

Gold Member
Isn’t it obvious, it’s a YOU issue
On a side note, ive been meaning to say this for a while, and in the best possible way. I have no idea why but your avatar really triggers me, such an anyoying smile. If thats actually you then i apologize in advance.

Shmunter

On a side note, ive been meaning to say this for a while, and in the best possible way. I have no idea why but your avatar really triggers me, such an anyoying smile. If thats actually you then i apologize in advance.
No need to apologise, your opinion is hardly relevant in the matter

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Can we please stop comparing this unfavourably to Left 4 Dead and instead move on to comparing this unfavourably to Dead Island, thanks.

It will send all the "but skill trees" guys into a real twist trying to explain why you can't compare them.

What elements in an endlessly replayable co op game in 2022 are not GaaS elements? Please define what this game is if you know for certain.

This is looter shooter. Could be one and done. Or it could be GAAS we don't know yet. Borderlands 3 was fully featured at launch yet got a ton of post launch content.

GAAS could mean it will release with fewer features that will get added over time.

Like Sea of Thieves or Halo Infinite.

Post launch content or support can only mean a good thing as far as I am concerned. Back 4 Blood is in such a good shape now due to regular support and rebalancing.

clarky

Gold Member
Can we please stop comparing this unfavourably to Left 4 Dead and instead move on to comparing this unfavourably to Dead Island, thanks.

It will send all the "but skill trees" guys into a real twist trying to explain why you can't compare them.
Dead islands probably a good shout actually.

Shmunter

This is looter shooter. Could be one and done. Or it could be GAAS we don't know yet. Borderlands 3 was fully featured at launch yet got a ton of post launch content.

GAAS could mean it will release with fewer features that will get added over time.

Post launch content or support can only mean a good thing as far as I am concerned. Back 4 Blood is in such a good shape now due to regular support and rebalancing.
Could be an Outriders model

clarky

Gold Member

I wanted to like B4B but something was missing on that title for me personally, worth revisiting?

GymWolf

I'm going to play solo only since I'm an anti-social gamer :messenger_beaming: but I also think it will review well.

I didn't like this game the first time I saw it, but with each subsequent trailer the game looks more and more appealing. I now think I might actually like this game, especially with the emphasis on story and solo play in this latest trailer.
Are you really alone when you have 125 cats?

It was a PvP game not co-op. But it was the sort of PvP game most people played offline because the main selling point that the developers balanced the game around was a tedious feature that few wanted.
I can’t speak for anybody else but I never used the online. The single player was the selling point for me, as with all arkane games

The game is growing on me. The humor looks pretty lame but fine for this type of thing to me. Don’t love the graphics but it looks kinda similar to deathloop art style. Honestly the only thing that really concerns me is the online co op stuff. I don’t play games with people online and like talk to them and shit I don’t want to do that. Maybe they added that for marketing purposes I don’t know but if it doesn’t get in the way of the single player experience then all good

Last edited:

Shmunter

Not really.

And you think thats a "rage" lol just calling out your post for the nonsense it is.
Calling out like a screeching 13yo teen is raging. Then proceeding to call out my avatar….to discredit me? Because I don’t like what you like…. 😂

Adults don’t behave like this, so I can only assume you are not one and can only wish you the best in life.

Last edited:
Top Bottom