• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Sandra Bullock to Lead All-Female ‘Ocean’s Eleven’ Reboot; Gary Ross director

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

It feels way too soon. The only noticeable difference in the era would be vouchers instead of coin slots.

Would rather see a 14, but it's impossible without Bernie Mac :(

Not particularly enamored with the premise of rebooting a known franchise and just swapping genders, but I'll hold off my final opinion until we get trailers and previews.

I'd rather they make something new (even if it would have a similar premise) so they can write new characters that may fit the actors/actresses better.

Not particularly enamored with the premise of rebooting a known franchise and just swapping genders, but I'll hold off my final opinion until we get trailers and previews.

I'd rather they make something new (even if it would have a similar premise) so they can write new characters that may fit the actors/actresses better.

I mean generally, it's not really just a gender swap. People tried to make this argument with Ghostbusters, but ultimately, the connections were super weak - they had a smart one and they had a black one, and they deduced that Ghostbusters were the first to have a smart white person and a black person. Looking at the situation as genderswapping is frustrating because it creates these kinds of perceptions and prevents a work from being distinguishable, because people aren't looking to distinguish it from the original.

This will be awful, if they cannot be creative enough to not rip off and reboot an existing series then then they arent gonna be creative anywhere else.

I mean generally, it's not really just a gender swap. People tried to make this argument with Ghostbusters, but ultimately, the connections were super weak - they had a smart one and they had a black one, and they deduced that Ghostbusters were the first to have a smart white person and a black person. Looking at the situation as genderswapping is frustrating because it creates these kinds of perceptions and prevents a work from being distinguishable, because people aren't looking to distinguish it from the original.

That's why I said I'd hold off any final opinions until I can see what they do with it, because I'm hoping it won't just be a gender swap.

chris121580

Wont even come close to upping the swag by Pitt and Clooney.

Doomed to fail.

"Saul makes 10. 10 oughta do it, don't you think? You think we need one more? You think we need one more. Alright, we'll get one more."

The delivery of lines by both of them is flawless and you're right..it'll be hard to top the swagger by either of them. I also hope we get another cameo of young celebs playing poker. That part was so great. "All.....red"

Isn't this the 'He-She' trope Anita Sarkisyan talks about?

Anyway I don't think this is doomed to fail.

It's actually quite an genius way to make people care about the same old movie formats. Hollywood has fully taken advantage of symbolic irony, the half-serious-but-basically-the-same thing (Guardians of the Galaxy etc), and now they're masking the same movies with the guise of social progressiveness.

Abounder

Banned
As long as Clooney and co. have cameos it'll do okay, much like the upcoming Ghostbusters movie. Gotta cash in on that fan service

Joni

Sandra Bullock with a good cast of mainly well-known older women (like an Expendables) and a Clooney/Pitt cameo to tie it to the trilogy, I would watch. Get Sigourney Weaver as the villain.

Empty

haha what a fantastic new outlet for hollywood to pump out unoriginal films easily. just take a bunch of old ideas except now have them be all women. wow such inspiring feminism. buzzfeed: here's thirty of the most outraged sexist responses to the new ocean's eleven. omg how awful. interview: you are all so brave and modern for making this film and standing against prejudice, how can u be so brave? omg must see.

how about you hire way way way more women directors and let their original voices be heard

tim.mbp

What a bitch. Ditches Clooney in space and steals his franchise!?

Qvmb5rP.gif

I'm a huge fan of the Ocean's Eleven remake, but I'm still really curious to see what they do with this. It is a shame that it's easier to rehash older films instead of creating new stories for women, but I'll take it anyway. As people have said, Soderbergh gave the film such a distinctive style, and Holmes' score was almost a character into itself. The new reboot would have such a different feel, casting aside. Speaking of which, I can't wait to see who they get!

...depressingly, it's always so exciting/rare to have two women talking together in an action film. Now there's going to be eleven women in a room at once, in an action/heist film...?

I'll probably have heart palpitations.

marrec

Banned
I think Bullock is the perfect person to play Ocean (Danielle Ocean? lol) she's got the type of quick, wry delivery necessary.

Apt101

Sounds fun. Have Emma Roberts play one of the sassy young side kicks who traffic in deception. Who could play the Brad Pitt role? Oh and the Don Cheadle British role. Sounds like a cool film to cast.

Apt101

He died!!!!?
What the fuck.... I didn't knew...

Something an old boss of mine told me: "We look good even when we're old, but when we get sick we go quick". At first I thought, damn, what a bleak outlook. And I grew up McCatholic. But it does seem to pan out that way.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Wait a second, roadhouse is getting a reboot with Rhonda Roussey? People realize she can't act right?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Emily Blunt
Natalie Portman
Jessica Chastain
Noomi Rapace
Zoe Saldana
Rosario Dawson
Rashida Jones
Rooney Mara
Cate Blanchett
Saoirse Ronan

Pick some or all, whatever, make it happen Hollywood.

Ronin Ray

I am down i hope they can get Charlize Theron Angelina Jolie are Halle Berry to play sandra's counterpart. Get Anna Kendrick to play the matt damon role. Also Regina king would have to be in this. Her and Sandra's chemistry was great in Miss Congeniality 2.

lazygecko

I'm liking this overall new trend. Maybe Hollywood can finally learn that you can actually make movies aimed at a female demographic that aren't romantic comedies or dramas.

I dont mind the idea, just think its too soon.
They should have to wait as long as it took to reboot it the first time.

Or make it a sequel, like julia roberts comes back as the new Danny or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom