• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorsese to produce Joker Origin Movie, WB Exploring "Elseworlds" Movies

Penguin

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/joker-movie-works-hangover-filmmaker-1031828

his is no laughing matter: Warners has tapped The Hangover filmmaker Todd Phillips to co-write and possibly direct an origin movie of classic Batman villain The Joker.

Phillips will co-write the script with Scott Silver, the writer of the Eminem movie 8 Mile as well as The Fighter, THR has confirmed.

Phillips, known for writing and directing the Hangover franchise, most recently wrote directed and produced War Dogs starring Miles Teller and Jonah Hill and Due Date starring Ed Helms. Along with producing most of his own work, he also produced Bradley Cooper's upcoming film A Star Is Born. He's repped by CAA.

https://t.co/NLKjucan9v

An intriguing part is the setting. The intention is to make a gritty and grounded hard-boiled crime film set in early-'80s Gotham City that isn't meant to feel like a DC movie as much as one of Scorsese's films from that era, like Taxi Driver, Raging Bull or The King Of Comedy. I'm told that Phillips and Silver are writing already, but there is nothing firm on where this will fit into the DC schedule.

This will be the first film under a new banner that has yet to be named in which WB can expand the canon of DC properties and create unique storylines with different actors playing the iconic characters.

Phillips will direct the movie, and Martin Scorsese will produce it with Phillips.

Schlorgan

tumblr_ntw999eSlt1r5rk9to1_500.gif

Where are you getting that Scorsese has anything to do with this?

Thread title should be "Hangover Director to make Joker Origin Story."

Anung

Un Rama
Elseworlds style movies is something they should have done from the start instead of hounding Marvel.

Penguin

Where are you getting that Scorsese has anything to do with this?

Thread title should be "Hangover Director to make Joker Origin Story."

Confused two links

Deadline has it and the Joker/Elseworld stuff

This will be the first film under a new banner that has yet to be named in which WB can expand the canon of DC properties and create unique storylines with different actors playing the iconic characters.

Phillips will direct the movie, and Martin Scorsese will produce it with Phillips.

This is gonna be one of those things that never gets off the ground but gets bandied around for years as a "they were gonna do what?!?" story like the Tim Burton Superman film starring Nic Cage.

Goodstyle

I love the concept, I hate that it's being handed off to these people. The Joker deserves a proven director with a good track record, not this schmuck.

I saw War Dogs aaaand it sucked. Just aggressively mediocre throughout.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I am intensely uninterested in a Joker origin movie. Like the man said, "if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice".

kevin1025

Banned
I mean... that sounds incredible.

But if he becomes Leto's Joker, it'll be a rough time trying to stick the landing of the film. And Todd Phillips involved makes me a tiny bit weary, especially as co-writer/director.

Wait, or is Leto not involved?

Martin Scorsese involved with a Joker film is a unique choice, but like with Sony and Spider-Man, I think that making non-universe DC movies is a confusing, muddling mistake.

(EDIT: Don't click the hotlink it randomly added to my post)

One of my favorite parts about The Joker is that he has no origin, besides some of that cheesy falling in acid stuff that sometimes pops up. Especially with the Nolan films, giving the Joker no background went a long way towards making him this alien, omniscient force, and furthered what made him so terrifying. This just seems like a shitty unnecessary idea.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
This is awesome. I want WB to keep getting great filmmakers to do their take on classic DC superheroes.

I actually was telling my friend a couple weeks ago that I wanted a Scorcese movie about the Penguin origin story, cuz that would be a perfect match between filmmaker and villain I think.

I'll gladly take Joker though.

Goodstyle

Also, of all the things to do with the Joker, why the fuck would you do his origin

I am intensely uninterested in a Joker origin movie. Like the man said, "if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice".

How I would handle it is have the Joker recount his past, but have it be full of contradictions and ambiguities. The central tragedy to his character is that he knows that his life was ruined, but he remembers it differently each time. Just a random bullshit thing that happened that destroyed his life. This movie could be just one of his recollections of it.

For example, the Joker is already part of the Suicide Squad movie franchise and is played by Jared Leto. The Joker movie in development, under the plan, would feature another actor and be made under another budget category.

This is the only thing they could have ever done that would have had me even slightly interested in this project, so, so far so good!

snap

Banned
One of my favorite parts about The Joker is that he has no origin, besides some of that cheesy falling in acid stuff that sometimes pops up. Especially with the Nolan films, giving the Joker no background went a long way towards making him this alien, omniscient force, and furthered what made him so terrifying. This just seems like a shitty unnecessary idea.

the only way this should work is if they lean heavily into some weird COMICS shit like snyder did in endgame (Joker being this 1000 year old creature who predated the settlers arriving in America) but then at the end go "jk that was all bullshit"

How I would handle it is have the Joker recount his past, but have it be full of contradictions and ambiguities. The central tragedy to his character is that he knows that his life was ruined, but he remembers it differently each time. Just a random bullshit thing that happened that destroyed his life. This movie could be just one of his recollections of it.

this, basically, but without even the thread of "joker knows that his life was ruined," make it even more ambiguous than that

kevin1025

Banned
Scorsese is producing this but not doing Devil in the White City?

My total guess is they picked up Killers of the Flower Moon because it is maybe the easier film to make, especially since they've already set it up for the spring. I imagine they'll do Devil in the White City still, but it may not be until 2020, 2021 when we see it.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
Scorsese? Cool.

Philips? Nah.

Would love a Fincher/Scorsese collaboration with DiCaprio as Joker bc why not

The intention is to make a gritty and grounded hard-boiled crime film set in early-'80s Gotham City that isn't meant to feel like a DC movie as much as one of Scorsese's films from that era, like Taxi Driver, Raging Bull or The King Of Comedy.

Listing those three titles doesn't help me picture the setting instead it confuses me. Seems like someone read from imdb instead of watching those movies.

The only thing that could make this thread more suspect is a giant-sized looping gif of JonTron's neckbearded racist melon-fucking-head lodging in the center of the page like an unpassed kidne—

—oh. Well there we go then.

Toa TAK

Banned
He's combining the two projects. Its now Devil in Gotham City
Now I'm interested.
Do the else worlds where superman gets every woman on earth pregnant.
See sometimes I think you make up stuff.
My total guess is they picked up Killers of the Flower Moon because it is maybe the easier film to make, especially since they've already set it up for the spring. I imagine they'll do Devil in the White City still, but it may not be until 2020, 2021 when we see it.

:| I want it now. Though Killers should tide me over.

Top Bottom