• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorsese to produce Joker Origin Movie, WB Exploring "Elseworlds" Movies

tomtom94

Also between this and Flashpoint Warner have clearly decided the DCEU brand is so toxic they have to torch it and run

Wow

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Getting the main movies on track should be priority #1 over mining the graphic novel stack for Elseworlds material.

kevin1025

Banned
Now I'm interested.

See sometimes I think you make up stuff.

:| I want it now. Though Killers should tide me over.

Yeah, I'm sad it's being pushed back so much. But if we're lucky, we might end up with two Scorsese movies super close to each other at the end of 2018/early 2019.

Boke1879

I'm cool with non-canon stuff. You can tell and adapt some pretty cool stories without having it be part of anything.

Slayven

Now I'm interested.

See sometimes I think you make up stuff.

:| I want it now. Though Killers should tide me over.

I never joke about comic fuckery
latest

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This sounds absolutely terrible.

WatTsu

A separate, non-canonical "label" seems like the absolute surest way to destroy the brand after Wonder Woman became the highest-grossing film of the summer.

Penguin

Also between this and Flashpoint Warner have clearly decided the DCEU brand is so toxic they have to torch it and run

Wow
Hmm I'd disagree on both points

This is them seeing there is money in the brand and a quick way to get a bunch of products in the pipeline without worrying about an actor's schedule

And Flashpoint seems to be them wanting to refresh the universe

A Joker origin movie is a terrible idea. Todd Phillips directing it is even worse.
Scorsese being involved... I don't even know what to think, lol. If it's like Spielberg with Transformers, no thanks. But I'm intrigued, I'll admit.

Elseworlds are a goldmine. They should absolutely go there. And the advantage with characters like Batman and Superman is that you don't need to explain shit, everybody will get it: it's Superman in Russia, it's Batman vs Jack the Ripper, etc. It could be so fucking good.

Gotham by Gaslight, the vampire trilogy, the Lovecraft one, there's so much potential. And these films can stand alone, no shared universe bullshit.

Kusagari

Part of the reason the MCU works so well is BECAUSE everything is connected.

Now you're going to have a cinematic universe but then have other movies not connected coming out at the same time? You're going to have this Joker and Leto Joker exist in the same theater space?

Shit is just going to overly confuse audiences.

Part of the reason the MCU works so well is BECAUSE everything is connected.

Now you're going to have a cinematic universe but then have other movies not connected coming out at the same time? You're going to have this Joker and Leto Joker exist in the same theater space?

Shit is just going to overly confuse audiences.
MCU has the entire TV universe they refuse to acknowledge.

Raptor

The only thing that could make this thread more suspect is a giant-sized looping gif of JonTron's neckbearded racist melon-fucking-head lodging in the center of the page like an unpassed kidne—

—oh. Well there we go then.

You were expecting a giant-sized looping gif of JonTron's neckbearded racist melon-fucking-head lodging in the center of the page to make the thread weird?

Kusagari

MCU has the entire TV universe they refuse to acknowledge.

That's entirely different. Those characters aren't also appearing in movies with different actors.

This would be like if Daredevil showed up in Infinity War played by Shia LaBeouf as a completely different character and then Cox is still playing him in the Netflix show.

C-Drive

I've said it like a billion times, drop the DCEU and just focus on tons of Elseworlds films.

You can recast for every film (or series) and it will always feel fresh.

I'm all in for DC cinematic endeavors to brand out and extend out of the "comic book" cliches, the universe is much more fitting to that than Marvel's. That being said, Joker origins is something that I think that makes no sense for the character, Specially not an entire movie dedicated to that.

If we're going that way I want to see a movie with an elderly, experienced and overdone Batman and his relationship with Joker at that time, both finished in their own way. Get Nicholson to reprise his role as Joker and Mickey Rourke to play Batman. Find someone to play Nightwing or Robin

Boem

I can't imagine Scorcese having time for this shit, especially at this point in his career. Even in 'just' a producer role.

Top Bottom