• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorsese to produce Joker Origin Movie, WB Exploring "Elseworlds" Movies

This is one of the worst ideas I have heard in a long time. I almost have a hard time believing this is real. After all the backlash against BVS, they are now going to make a grim and gritty Joker movie? A Scorsese-esque Joker movie sounds atrocious anyway.

Ross61

This is one of the worst ideas I have heard in a long time. I almost have a hard time believing this is real. After all the backlash against BVS, they are now going to make a grim and gritty Joker movie? A Scorsese-esque Joker movie sounds atrocious anyway.
I'd expect a movie centering Joker to be grim and gritty.

Are they doing this before the Flashpoint movie? Because if the reaction is positive towards this Joker, I imagine that they are definitely going to use Flashpoint to replace Leto in the DCEU

a916

Are they doing this before the Flashpoint movie? Because if the reaction is positive towards this Joker, I imagine that they are definitely going to use Flashpoint to replace Leto in the DCEU

I would say no... but they haven't planted any dates to most of these movies.

However, we did see a Flashpoint logo at Comic Con and no Joker logo... which leads me to believe no. Also the article states this is completely independent of the DCEU.

Penguin

We don't have any dates for anything beyond Aquaman so I wouldn't piece together anything yet.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Also, of all the things to do with the Joker, why the fuck would you do his origin

This.

Plus, is he really lead character material? The mystery is the best part. He's not a character that can have a satisfying arc either. I guess they can go Ishmael with it, like the Azzarello story...

The only way I can see this being pulled off with any real success is to have a fucked up mash-up of Lost Highway, Rashomon and the first episode of Legion where the audience has no idea what's true and what's not... and that ain't happening; not with a Hollywood budget, and not with Todd Phillips at the helm.

Schlorgan

Jake Gyllenhaal please

Jake-Gyllenhaal-shaking-head.gif

Did you two plan this?

Should be an anthology movie... with like 4 or 5 different origins in different genres.

Picture it, a bunch of low level thugs sitting in the bar shooting the shit. And they each talk about the time they worked for the Joker. Each tale written, and directed by a different person(s)

That's the plot of a Detective Comics story

The Pale Man, Saved, The First Laugh, and The Last Smile

In the back-ups of Batman #35-39, a story is played out in which Dr. Mahreen Zaheer of Arkham Asylum is kidnapped by five psychotic patients who each claim to know the true origins of the Joker. One says he's the devil; another, a secret robot. Every one of them has their own story that the Joker told them individually, each relating to the psychosis and fears of the patient. They drag Dr. Zaheer underneath the streets of Gotham where she comes face to face with her old co-worker, Dr. Erik Border, and it's revealed that he was actually the Joker in disguise all along.

The final story to be told of the Joker's origins is actually Zaheer's, as it turns out she was working on a book with the help of Dr. Border concerning who the Joker was before he became Gotham's most feared criminal. As the angry inmates try to break into the room where the two are having their conversation, the Joker then gives her a gun with five bullets, and tells her to shoot everyone who had the wrong story - she gets to choose the one she believes is right. When she asks the obvious and says "none of them are real, are they?" the Joker flips her a sixth bullet.

As a story concerning the Joker's backstory, it's only fitting that a reference is made before the issue ends to the infamous line from the Killing Joke in which the Joker says that he prefers his past to be "multiple choice." This time around, however, he says "I prefer not to think of it as multiple choice...it's more choose-your-own adventure."

https://www.outerplaces.com/science-fiction/item/9620-6-awesome-joker-stories-you-may-not-know-about

Ogodei

Elseworlds is just more flailing from Warner Bros. Marvel could probably get away with Elseworlds (or What If or an Ultimate story or something) now that they're getting towards retiring their first run of superheroes. You have to have a World before you have an Elseworld.

I'd expect a movie centering Joker to be grim and gritty.

Why? 89 Batman wasn't Grim and Gritty. Tons of great cartoons, TAS, Justice League, have featured Joker and not been gritty. There are lots of amazing comics featuring Joker and not been gritty.

It's a preposterous idea. And I am sure it will not happen, ultimately, and Scorsese is producing like he produces the TV shows he is attached to, meaning not really.

Ross61

Why? 89 Batman wasn't Grim and Gritty. Tons of great cartoons, TAS, Justice League, have featured Joker and not been gritty. There are lots of amazing comics featuring Joker and not been gritty.

It's a preposterous idea. And I am sure it will not happen, ultimately, and Scorsese is producing like he produces the TV shows he is attached to, meaning not really.
Keyword: "featured."

Keyword: "featured."

A Joker movie would only be good if it has tons of other DC characters and is unrealistic and over the top. It should be fun and big.

If this comes to pass it will be legendary how bad it will be. Jokers origin story is he was kid with a permanent smile so he was constantly bullied, and that is what they are going to show? That sounds like fanfiction written by a kid who plays call of duty.

Its a disgrace. I don't think Scorsese is going to be really involved. Treating Superhero material in such a regard? It's insanity. All the people involved in this movie should be thrown in the loony bin.

A Joker movie would only be good if it has tons of other DC characters and is unrealistic and over the top. It should be fun and big.
What about Azzarello's Joker? That could work as a dark twisted psychological crime thriller, Joker through the lens of why someone would follow and work for him

From the description, I wonder if the movie is going to be closer to The Usual Suspects than a full on Joker origin movie. Entire movie being Joker recounting stuff to an Arkham Asylum psychiatrist, and the entire thing being a ruse and it ending with him breaking out.

edit: Will probably end up being a retelling of The Killing Joke backstory.

What about Azzarello's Joker? That could work as a dark twisted psychological crime thriller, Joker through the lens of why someone would follow and work for him

Well I haven't read it. But on the synopsis of goodreads it has this

The Joker can deliver it, as he brutally takes back his stolen assets from The Penguin, The Riddler, Two-Face, Killer Croc and others.

And thats what I mean. It should be big, and unrealistic, and have all the other characters.

Not this nitty gritty origin story bullshit. Sounds like Azzarellos isn't a pathetic and misguided take like this movie. Joker a kid who had a permanent smile? Which piece of shit 10th grader gave his asshole executive father that idea?

I mean, honestly, the idea of a Joker movie isn't a great one. I doubt this was a passiona project for Azzarello.

Well I haven't read it. But on the synopsis of goodreads it has this

And thats what I mean. It should be big, and unrealistic, and have all the other characters.

Not this nitty gritty origin story bullshit. Sounds like Azzarellos isn't a pathetic and misguided take like this movie. Joker a kid who had a permanent smile?
It’s a gritty realistic version of those characters

Croc, Penguin, and Joker

2120872-muscle.jpg

It's a gritty realistic version of those characters

Croc, Penguin, and Joker

2120872-muscle.jpg

It's possible to do a more realistic take on those characters. But it seems like that is juxtaposed with a fast plot where all the action happens in one night. So, the plot isn't realistic. It sounds breezy and action packed. Not a realistic crime story.

And its not some bullshit origin story of the Joker being bullied as a child because he has a permanent smile. And that's the comics. A realistic take on the characters it in the comics is fresh, and different. I might even read that. The medium of comics is obsessed with these characters for its entire existence pretty much.

In the form of the movie it would seem pathetic, like it is so ashamed of coming from a comic book that it has to make it realistic. And this is Todd Philips we're talking about.

A realistic, crime movie version origin movie from Joker is guaranteed to be atrocious.

Malyse

Honestly, considering how much of a trainwreck the DCEU is versus the enduring iconic appeal of DC characters, this seems like a fantastic approach. The thing I think DC comics does better than Marvel is handle their continuity. Marvel seems almost obsessive with a "this happened then this happened but between those two this happened and this happened as well", while DC can have something happening in one book and it completely not impact the others. Like, Harley Quinn is simultaneously the protector of Coney Island and in Belle Reve prison as part of the Suicide Squad. Batwoman is jetsetting all over the world and on a team with Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown, and Clayface. Batman is constantly having a million adventures all at once as is Superman. And then there's the crossovers with TMNT, Power Rangers, Hanna Barbera, and Looney Tunes. All that to say, I think that the DCEU would have been better off as a series of loosely connected films with recurring characters than an avengers-esque build to the big tentpole event.

Top Bottom