• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorsese to produce Joker Origin Movie, WB Exploring "Elseworlds" Movies

But there current movie joker sucks. I would peefer a deadshot origin movie

It would be its own thing, outside of the DCEU continuity. Without Leto and set in the 80s apparently.

I don't know, it's kind of intriguing but I just don't think that particular story should ever be told. The Joker works better as a mystery.

Big Blue

I don't like this. Part of Joker's character is that no one knows his true origin or his motives. I think Nolan handled that perfectly when he had the Joker telling everyone a different story.

Slayven

Maybe DC is going for pure numbers, if they keep announcing shit maybe some of it will be good(Wonder Woman) instead of not( BVS, Suicide Squad, Man of Steel).

Some of it is bound to get made.

Boem

Multiple jokers is going to confuse people.

Multiple actors portraying the same character has never bothered people in the past. People understand how recastings work, and how different movies in the same franchise don't have to be actual direct prequels/sequels to one another.

Hell, we never had the same actor portray Joker in multiple films before, and people understood that just fine.

Thought this was a joke when I heard the title. I'm not really sure The Joker is a character who actually work in a solo film of his own, even with Scorsese producing (they got on him board, really?), and Todd Phillips directing.

Marvel has "What If?" stories which most of them are just bad.

Same can be said of Elseworlds. Main difference between the two is that DC's are much more "high concept" and either re-imagine origins or start in a fairly generic version of the DCU (which makes them much more suitable for film adaptation), while Marvel's are much more focused on taking the actual events that happened in the comics and seeing what would happen if they changed what happened.

I think it would be better to make some tv adaptions of eldeworlds stories or of some more gritty violent stories with a high budget. There are a lot of DC movies which are more necessary for WB, for example the Flash movie and the Green Lantern movie. WB should make the right moves for DCEU (Wonder Woman was a start) and when the audience sees it in a positive light, like it does MCU, then DC should make some elseworld movies or even better, some tv adaptions (they could make a elseworlds tv series).

Todd Phillips doing a Joker origin movie ain't exactly intriguing but the idea of doing elseworld stories absolutely is. Technically Fox is already dipping into that territory.

Same can be said of Elseworlds. Main difference between the two is that DC's are much more "high concept" and either re-imagine origins or start in a fairly generic version of the DCU (which makes them much more suitable for film adaptation), while Marvel's are much more focused on taking the actual events that happened in the comics and seeing what would happen if they changed what happened.
DC typically gets better writers to come up with their own unique DC universe while Marvel gets someone below average to change one small thing in an event that didn't happen and cause a chain reaction of random stuff from there.

Boem

I also don't think 'Elseworld' means much more than 'This cinematic universe isn't working as well as we were hoping so far and we're very close to losing our Batman so fuck what do we do oh shit oh shit'. This is just a way to throw some new actors/interpretations of characters into the mix and see what sticks. If the new Joker works better for audiences than the Suicide Squad one, you can bet your ass any future movies are going to use 'Elseworld' Joker instead of wannabe Joker.

Putting a term that's familiar to comic fans on it will just make it more digestible to the comic fans, who do a lot of the heavy lifting when it comes to early hype.

Hell they can retroactively make Suicide Squad an Elseworld movie/franchise.

Don't forget, back in the day pretty much every movie in every long running series was a standalone 'Elseworld' movie. It's nothing new. The only reason to start putting titles on it now is because studios are figuring out that building these cinematic universes isn't as easy as Marvel made it seem. Early fuckups can ruin everything. A bunch of fuckups in a row and the suits are getting twitchy. Especially, as is the case with Batman now, your lead actors start to talk about possibly getting out of that mess.

And it's all fine in my book. Continuity and especially canon are incredibly overrated. Just give me good stories.

shira

My theory is that the tattoo starts out as

"mage"

as Joe Carr grows up as a Hogwart's hopeful.
And we see his transformation from kind piano loving boy into brooding piano key aerial shot lauging psychopath and the inevitable

"damaged"

See that WB - I brought DCEU into the HPEU.
PM me that cheque

a916

Todd Philips... I'm getting Due Date and Hangover flash backs... this is the dude they want? Really?

Scorcese is there... I guess... I would rather him direct.

And not connected to the DCEU just muddles the picture. I would rather they tie it all together and it make it one nice cohesive world.

Especially if it's an origin story, why can't you work it in? Not like this Joker is so set in stone that you can't do anything to him.

Boem

Todd Philips... I'm getting Due Date and Hangover flash backs... this is the dude they want? Really?

Scorcese is there... I guess... I would rather him direct.

And not connected to the DCEU just muddles the picture. I would rather they tie it all together and it make it one nice cohesive world.

Especially if it's an origin story, why can't you work it in? Not like this Joker is so set in stone that you can't do anything to him.

As for the first one: he isn't there, someone just got excited writing an article.

As for the second one, you'd still be stuck with Jared Leto and you'd still be working towards a shitty wannabe gangster with a tattoo on his face and a Hot Topic outfit. Ignoring all that nonsense is the only good part about this news.

Joker Origins? Nah do something else we don't need origin stories every damn time. That said I like the idea of elseworlds flicks. Logan was sorta like that.
Again: the general audience is way less easily confused than superhero fans tend to give them credit for.

Watching superhero movies isn't hard.
Exactly. And to piggyback on this, the audience would get along fine without being spoonfed origin stories. Like just have Joker be already doing Joker stuff. People get it and you don't have to explain everything.

a916

As for the first one: he isn't there, someone just got excited writing an article.

As for the second one, you'd still be stuck with Jared Leto and you'd still be working towards a shitty wannabe gangster with a tattoo on his face and a Hot Topic outfit. Ignoring all that nonsense is the only good part about this news.

They can ret con anything in comics... they can ret con this for all I care lol. I mean Thor went from shakespeare to straight up 90 minute comedy.

It'd be interesting if it's a serial killer-esque film where detectives are flummoxed by a new villain that's appeared in the city leaving calling cards. Focusing on people hunting him instead of his 'origin' which is dumb.

tumblr_louw72NB8w1qg8i80o1_1280.jpg

Slayven

They can ret con anything in comics... they can ret con this for all I care lol. I mean Thor went from shakespeare to straight up 90 minute comedy.

Jared Leto was a poser, the one true joker comes back and reclaims the throne

done a million times, why not a million and 1?

Farsi

i really wonder how this is going to work..Are they going in with Joker as the sympathtic hero and batman as the villain? I'm interested

Aslong as Jared isn't involved I'm happy as can be

Think about DC what you want but at least they try some weird shit while Marvel its always the same safe movie.

For better or for worse.

Ash735

We already got a bloody Joker origin story on one of DC's own TV shows Gotham..

tumblr_nvgbcaL7gM1uw1vkxo1_400.gif

f4fee9b9e3a4a516801691230aa1132a9a77c9fc76c48f2d1e3999fba58e3fc9.jpg

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f53756c464f796141527977716c413d3d2d3234342e313462313633363939633333393739633836303634373136343538362e676966

Which is just crazy and psychotic enough to work, it's been built up over the years so anything tackled in movie form just won't seem as good.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Before I read the thread, am I the first person to recommend Zach Galifiankis? He had the perfect PERFECT voice for Lego Batman and was completely underrated.

Lifeline

Elseworlds? Different Actors?

I'm in.

Hopefully this ends the cinematic universe BS and we get some great standalone stories instead.

Joker origin story? No thank you.

Elseworlds movies? Yes please. I wish Marvel Studios would do one-off stuff set apart from the MCU (or maybe in the MCU but basically having nothing to add). Like, a lower budget Hawkeye movie would be ace.

As I said in the community thread, I'm calling the Reeves' Batman films being connected to this film.

Couple things mentioned by outlets over the past couple months seem to point in this direction. You've got Steve Weintraub at Collider specifically using "What if Reeves wants to do a younger Batman film set in the 70s?" as an example of nobody knowing what he has planned for his films. You've got similar language being used to describe this Joker film and what Reeves has envisioned for his Batman films. It explains the mess behind Affleck's role moving forward.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
As I said in the community thread, I'm calling the Reeves' Batman films being connected to this film.

Couple things mentioned by outlets over the past couple months seem to point in this direction. You've got Steve Weintraub at Collider specifically using "What if Reeves wants to do a younger Batman film set in the 70s?" as an example of nobody knowing what he has planned for his films. You've got similar language being used to describe this Joker film and what Reeves has envisioned for his Batman films. It explains the mess behind Affleck's role moving forward.

That...that actually makes a lot of sense. Reeves would be able to do basically whatever he wants creatively under this new studio banner. Cast new actors and not worry about DCEU continuity.

I'm not saying I think it's a wise choice, but now that you mention it I wouldn't be shocked. Especially since they're starting a whole new banner for these films. And we already know they were headhunting for a Red Son movie.

gFymW4BHast-_BzhkfwNO7PVu1M=.gif

Top Bottom