• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorsese to produce Joker Origin Movie, WB Exploring "Elseworlds" Movies

Slayven

Joker Wars.
Rmember The one true Starro?
starrocomics1.jpg

Same year they recon all the Brainacs into just being "probes" sent by the one true Brainac
Think about DC what you want but at least they try some weird shit while Marvel its always the same safe movie.

For better or for worse.
This dude said Krugarr is safe....i can't even

Still don't know why of all the people solidly attached to this thing, the headline refers to the one guy who isn't.

Todd Phillips is going to direct and help write a Joker Origin movie. He wants it to feel like four completely different Scorsese films. He's probably asking WB if they can get Scorsese to sign on to the project in as minimal a producer position as possible to lend (purchase) his endeavor the legitimacy it otherwise wouldn't have in a million fuckin years.

That's the story of this movie so far.

As I said in the community thread, I'm calling the Reeves' Batman films being connected to this film.

Couple things mentioned by outlets over the past couple months seem to point in this direction. You've got Steve Weintraub at Collider specifically using "What if Reeves wants to do a younger Batman film set in the 70s?" as an example of nobody knowing what he has planned for his films. You've got similar language being used to describe this Joker film and what Reeves has envisioned for his Batman films. It explains the mess behind Affleck's role moving forward.

Similarly discussed earlier, a decade ago WB planned something not unlike this. Nolan had his Batman trilogy with Bale while Armie Hammer was to be Batman in Miller's Justice League.

What that could mean is Affleck stays on as Batman in the DCEU, but he won't get a solo Batman film. He'll be kept for JL, Batgirl, Suicide Squad, Nightwing, etc. sort of like Hulk in the MCU. All while another actor plays a younger Batman in Reeves' series. Who knows.

Ross61

I think it would depend on the bigger. The Batman probably gonna be big budget and in the main universe. Something like the Joker will be lower budget and a Elsewords film.

Slayven

Should be an anthology movie... with like 4 or 5 different origins in different genres.

Picture it, a bunch of low level thugs sitting in the bar shooting the shit. And they each talk about the time they worked for the Joker. Each tale written, and directed by a different person(s)

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Picture it, a bunch of low level thugs sitting in the bar shooting the shit. And they each talk about the time they worked for the Joker. Each tale written, and directed by a different person(s)
Now THAT is a movie I would want to see. Each story has a different actor playing Joker as well.

latest

This could work really well.

There's many stories out there on the Joker's origin story.

A movie with several characters in various roles like an ACE Chemicals scientist, failed stand up comic, a small time thief (original Red Hood), circus clown, etc. played by various characters that all seem like obvious shoe-ins played by relatively unknown actors in a maze of fuckery in which we never really find out which ones is the Joker could really work.

Compbros

The comics haven't even fleshed out his origins. What hope would WB have? Regardless of who is at the helm.

Failed comedian from a broken home turns to organized crime to make ends meet as part of the red hood gang when he's cornered by Batman and falls into a vat of chemicals. First third of the movie.

Second act is his rise in Gotham, him carrying out a bunch of plans that work but ultimately bored by the lack of challenge in the underworld. Starts doing more brazen crimes for attention like sending playing cards and announcing his plans. Ultimately finds the most fun in his conflict with Batman. He's goes after the people close to Batman like Gordon and his Family, threatens all of Gotham, etc.

Finale is the kidnapping and torture of Todd as the last big act against Batman. Leaves a Ha ha Ha stained Robin costume as a clue for Bats as well as other breadcrumbs. Batman arrives at the location as it explodes. Batman, shocked and upset, hears Joker's laugh and heads towards it. Movie ends with Joker in Arkham meeting harley.

An origin story with the little bit we know about Joker that sets up red hood and ties into Suicide Squad/BvS/Batman....oh wait, elseworlds tale. Forget all of that then and just make him a literal clown that, I dunno, gets shot with an alien make-humans-crazy beam or something.

Busty

Banned
I am Busty's complete sense of bafflement.

This was Warners plan for DC years and years ago under Robinov, not bothering with a cineverse but instead having different brands releasing films under different labels.

But if the studio is already actively pushing for four DC films a year then where would all these Elsewhere films fit into the picture?

And is this going to be the same label as the Vertigo film projects that they are developing?

#baffled

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
It wouldn't matter if Spielberg, Scorsese, Nolan or even Villeneuve directed this movie, some characters (like the Joker) don't need an origin story or I don't need and want to know how this character got to be like this. Sure there are probably comics that delve into Jokers origin, but I wouldn't want to know it.
This is a hard pass for me.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I think they should focus on making sure their cinematic universe stays on the right track before deciding to throw out Elseworlds films.

(Also, a Joker origin movie is a terrible idea.)

Temp_User

IMO, the Joker works better as a force of nature. Just show glimpse of his past actions. Please dont ground him down with a full-pledged origin story.

Top Bottom