• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SILENT HILL MOVIE update

Porridge

Source: Roger Avary, writer of the film (also co-wrote Pulp Fiction)

2115bb.jpg

Roger Avary said:
2005/06/18
Silent Hill set visit. I'm here in Toronto visiting the set of Silent Hill. The soundstages are filled with the amazing work of Carol Spier -- giant, vaulted, three-story interiors as well as numerous winding corridors that are representations straight out of the game. I can't show you any pictures, because photography is harshly restricted -- but I can tell you with no hesitation that they are simply HUGE. Seeing the nine-foot-tall Red Pyramid wander around alongside the four-foot gray children somehow makes the mood on the set oddly joyful. The funniest part was during lunch, watching the colorless, drab-looking Silent Hill inhabitants (costumed to a apocalyptic perfection by Wendy Partridge) mulling about with their trays of food. Later, editor Sebastien Prangere shows me and my daughter some cut footage -- and it's striking, even though it hasn't yet been treated with the many layers of effects and filters that will give it the Silent Hill feel. The most difficult part for me is that I constantly have the urge to walk up and start giving direction -- but I'm just a writer on this set, and there's only room for one captain of the ship. One thing is for certain as I watch Christophe set up a multi-camera sequence with dueling Technocranes: the shots are pure Gans. His eye is evident in every setup, and in every choice of lens (anamorphic 24mm seems to be a favorite). This is, without question, a Christophe Gans film.

Sure Konami fucked the series all up, but I'm a Christophe Gans mark and will see this in the hopes that it's at least as enjoyable as the first game.

Just stay away from the ultra pop Silent Hill 2 and after soundtack plz!

jett

D-Member
Hmm...maybe this is the video game movie that will finally topple Mortal Kombat.

Now that I think about it, that's pretty sad.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Los Pacte De Lupes was really, really good.

Anyone see Brotherhood of the Wolf?

Gans is talented, there is a good overall team doing the movie.

Whose staring in it again?

Master Z

They were filming this a few weeks ago in my hometown of Hamilton and I wandered on the set for a while. They set up a maze of rusty fences in a small parking lot. In the middle of the maze was a rusty, torn-up wheelchair....it looked so creepy, just like the game.

The last 15 years of history tells me not to get excited but I really want to :)

On a light side note: Is Mortal Kombat: Devastation still in production or did it die?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Now that I think about it, that's pretty sad.
Well in my eyes that honor already belongs to Pirates of The Carribean. But yeah, there's the naysayers that refuse to admit it's inspired by a ~14years old game :D

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
They should have used the real silent hill 2 town.. however.. since there has already been several people against SH2, i'll... drop it

John Harker said:
Los Pacte De Lupes was really, really good.

Anyone see Brotherhood of the Wolf?

Gans is talented, there is a good overall team doing the movie.

Whose staring in it again?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384537

Not exactly an A-list cast, but that seems to be a good thing, as it looks like they are going for quality character actors, rather than MTV pinups.

I didn't expect that there would be characters directly from the game though. My memories slightly off but they all seem to be from the first one.

G-Fex

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You can't have pyramid head! He's in James Sunderland's mind! If you wanted to put him in there you should've used SILENT HILL 2's STORYLINE!!! ARGH.

And SH2's soundtrack is just as good as SH1's.

FightyF

Banned
Master Z said:
They were filming this a few weeks ago in my hometown of Hamilton and I wandered on the set for a while. They set up a maze of rusty fences in a small parking lot. In the middle of the maze was a rusty, torn-up wheelchair....it looked so creepy, just like the game.

That sounds sweet!

I'm so hyped for this movie.

Which is a bad thing. Getting hyped over a videogame movie only means being let down.

Die Squirrel Die said:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0384537

Not exactly an A-list cast, but that seems to be a good thing, as it looks like they are going for quality character actors, rather than MTV pinups.

I didn't expect that there would be characters directly from the game though. My memories slightly off but they all seem to be from the first one.

Cybil, Dahlia, and Alessa are all from it. Officer Gucci is mentioned in a memo.

teiresias

Wow, I didn't realize Sean Bean was in this movie! Maybe the Christopher character he plays is analogous to James Sunderland and Pyramid Head is a part of his mind.

Woah, and Dahlia's in it too? I hope it doesn't get too hookey with the cult stuff - that's one thing I liked about Silent Hill 2 leaving the rather silly cult plot behind.

Dahlia.jpg

"Haha, you will birth God!!!"

Thric3

Sounds and looks like they're really going to capture SH's feel and adapt it nicely into a movie. I hope to god they don't screw it up. Looking forward to this movie.

they better have a damn good fucking reason for PH being in this film, instead of just "whoa, he was, like, cool in that one game... lets make him be in this and have a KILLER ROCK-METAL THEME THAT PLAYS WHENEVER HE'S ON SCREEN!"

GODSMACK 4 EVER!

.... why couldn't Avery make an original SH story instead of just aping SH1 and tossing in SH2 locations and elements? -_________-

Pyramid Head isn't in James' mind. The town calls to the guilty (for some reason) and the executioners punish them.

Remember that dude who got ganked by the TV? A Pyrmid standing real close by? He was guilty of sumpin.
The Pyramid's also appear in some carvings in the prison, and the painting. They were real once, in the prison camp; now they are... something else.

Dunno why Eddie and Angela didn't get killed by a Pryamid though, they all had graves dug. Just they way they wrote it Ig uess.

Anyway, I interpret the canon as the Pyramids being part of Silent Hill, not just James. There's more wrong with the town than a drug peddling cult y'know.

Belfast

ArcadeStickMonk said:
Pyramid Head isn't in James' mind. The town calls to the guilty (for some reason) and the executioners punish them.

Remember that dude who got ganked by the TV? A Pyrmid standing real close by? He was guilty of sumpin.
The Pyramid's also appear in some carvings in the prison, and the painting. They were real once, in the prison camp; now they are... something else.

Dunno why Eddie and Angela didn't get killed by a Pryamid though, they all had graves dug. Just they way they wrote it Ig uess.

Anyway, I interpret the canon as the Pyramids being part of Silent Hill, not just James. There's more wrong with the town than a drug peddling cult y'know.

Yeah, while most of the monsters are interpretations of what the characters see and their sins, I think Pyramid Head is an "agent" of Silent Hill that appears to everybody. Sort of like a grim reaper or something. Hell, it makes sense with the gigantic hood obscuring his face and the gigantic knife (read: scythe) that he employs. The two aren't far off from eachother in function or appearance.

G-Fex

I'd rather it not be a original story, i'm tired of original stories and just want something to stick to the source story. Thankfully this....well..sorta will sort of.

Silent Hill 2 is the king of the SH games, IMO. It was just creepier all around. Don't get me wrong, SH1 was AWESOME. It was unrivaled when it came out. I think it was only really topped by the sequel and then the horror games of the next gen systems.

I think a SH movie could be one of the best horror flicks of all time if done correctly. Just model it after the games and it will be legendary. Don't try to make it like other horror flicks. SH is a better horror story than most movies out there so it'll be hard to fuck that up.

ArcadeStickMonk said:

What you had with them were 3 murderers but each went down a different path after they did it. Eddie was the only one that actually enjoyed what he did. So instead of just killing 1 person he's been going around killing multiple people. He sees it as the right thing to do when people pick on him. So he's endlessly haunted by people picking on him and it drives him crazy and eventually leads to him being killed.

Angela after killing her dad she becomes depressed. She's now left alone with no family or anything. She feels guilt for killing him even though he was shit. So she's haunted by her dad and in a way by James. She doesn't have it in her to trust men because of her dad. Eventually the guilt gets to her and she kills herself because she can never be ok with what she did.

Now with James, I think the reason the Pyramid Heads haunted him and not Eddie and Angela is because they both knew what they did and weren't trying to hide it. James though killed his own wife and convinced himself that it was ok. The Pyramid Heads are there to show him that what he did was kill his wife. No matter what justification he makes up in his own head, he killed her.

Senretsu

sounds like it might be a game based movie that might actually be good. I'm actually sort of looking forward to it now after reading a little about it. But i won't set my sights too high until I see more of it.

All this talk of SH2 makes me want to play it again :)

Ceb

Belfast said:
Yeah, while most of the monsters are interpretations of what the characters see and their sins, I think Pyramid Head is an "agent" of Silent Hill that appears to everybody. Sort of like a grim reaper or something. Hell, it makes sense with the gigantic hood obscuring his face and the gigantic knife (read: scythe) that he employs. The two aren't far off from eachother in function or appearance.

The official line is that he appears as one of the old executioners of SH due to James' partial desire for punishment.

Waychel

Banned
As much as I enjoyed the first Silent Hill, I would much rather like to see a Silent Hill 2 storyline for the movie. The psychology in Silent Hill 2 just made the storyline and characters all the more creepy to me (if not deeper and more three dimensional). I just enjoyed the focus being more on the characters, their pasts, fears and how the town preyed on them over the whole occult history of the town.

I don't want to get my hopes up over the movie, but I do have a pretty good feeling about it with what has been released about the story and characters so far. Hopefully if it does do well, we'll see a sequel on par with Silent Hill 2. Depending on how the movie turns out though, that could be either a good or bad thing. :lol

Ceb said:
The official line is that he appears as one of the old executioners of SH due to James' partial desire for punishment.
Official line from where?

Seems pretty convenient that spirits of old executioners appear as executioners in a town that once held executioners... but only because some guy who knew very little about the town showed up looking for punishment.

Are we blaming TV guy on Eddie? We know that Eddie killed kitchen guy, but a Pyramid standing so close to a fresh corpse seems pretty obvious to me.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
This is one movie I have really high hopes for, because it doesn't seem like another Hollywood cash-in. I think there's a decent chance it will turn out to be the first really good videogame-to-movie adaption. I just hope they don't go out of their way to show people that it's a Silent Hill movie, I mean forcing recognizable aspects of the game into the movie and making the script and story suffer in the process.

That doesn't feel right to me.

All three guilty characters have dangers themed on their guilt. James has female manequins and hospital related apparitions, Eddie has ugly people who make fun of him, and Angela thinks that different things are her father as well as the constant fire.

Laura, of course, saw nothing because she was innocent.

The Pyramid Heads, being drawn from the history of the town and not that of a character, should be a whole seperate thing. Evidence that supports this are the graves dug for the guilty (the three are all in the same situation) and the infamous "rape" scene (the Pyramids do not work with the monsters).

What does not agree with my theory is the fact that we never see the other two characters bothered by a Pyramid, and of course, this official line.

I think this is a situation where my interpretation is truer to the overall spirit of the material than what was once stated by the team.

Neither of them were in denial about what they did though. Eddie knows he's killed before, Angela knows she killed her dad. But James is in denial over killing his wife. That's why PH stalks him, to constantly show him again and again what he did and finally make him accept that he did it.

They were all haunted by what bothered them most. Eddie haunted by being teased, Angela haunted by images of her dad, and James haunted by being faced with the reality that he's a murderer.

Ceb

Exactly.

Btw, I don't know how you can claim that your take is more "true to the spirit" than an official creation that came out after SH3 (which would surely have given them some time to reflect and further clarify their thoughts and ideas for SH2).

Top Bottom