• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, all Bloodborne players who haven't played Souls before, how's it going?

Vitor711

The Unseen Village is the worst thing I've ever seen in this game.
It's gotten to the point where its just frustratingly hard.

You can run past almost everything there. And the main shortcut that opens up lets you dodge every enemy.

It's a hassle, but you're not missing out on much if you just barrel through. It's not like there's any cool armour/weapons lying around the area. I think there's one decent rune.

Noobcraft

You can run past almost everything there. And the main shortcut that opens up lets you dodge every enemy.

It's a hassle, but you're not missing out on much if you just barrel through. It's not like there's any cool armour/weapons lying around the area. I think there's one decent rune.
There is the
Tonitrus
which is super useful against a certain boss later and overall an amazing weapon.

Hyperean Gaol isn't that bad at all if you've got the Holy Blade. In fact, it's actually very easy. Anything that doesn't stagger tho? Good luck.

Oh and there's the yargul gear and the Tonitrus, and it's also an excellent place to farm twin shards and echoes

Kalnos

Banned

There's a
key
that you probably don't want to miss.

Noobcraft

Yea I picked that up and some armor.
I think ill run through everything now. The enemies here are the biggest pains period.
The whole area was really easy with
Ludwig's Holy Blade
which knocks people around.

I used
Tonitrus
to viceral attack a giant once which was awesome.

Moonkeis

BSB...finally.

I had BSB with 5% health left on my first try, and died to the damn poision. My next 3 attempts did not go so well so decided to summon Alfred which was a big help.

IKizzLE

The whole area was really easy with
Ludwig's Holy Blade
which knocks people around.

I used
Tonitrus
to viceral attack a giant once which was awesome.

Yea, my ludwig blade and kirkhammer are both +7 and I'm level 55. Not sure if thats too low or average.

phen0m24

A couple friends from Destiny-GAF popped on tonight and we rambled about Old Yharnam. Beat the BSB, then got the goodies from the Cathedral area. Died at the bottom of the circular room to the fire guy. Must...buy...molotovs...

Yea, my ludwig blade and kirkhammer are both +7 and I'm level 55. Not sure if thats too low or average.

I went through that area at level 35 and it was honestly a piece of cake since all of the enemies (aside from the dogs) are slow as hell. Just tackle them one at a time, R2 to charge the holy blade for a thrust and then follow up with some slashes and you're just brutalizing bagmen. The giant boars are super easy to fight since they just charge and flop around. The old hags with the razors, you just roll in front of the doorway so they can't snatch you and slit your throat. I dunno, exercise caution and everything there is super easy to take out (except for the dogs which can really mess you up if you aren't careful)

Skynet87

Neo Member
I have a question hopefully someone can answer. After the VA boss fight. Come out of the church and make a right, if you follow it down there's a wooded alcove, not the forbidden woods main area. In here is dudes with dogs, a TON of guys with rifles and some respawning guys with glowy eyes and a sickle for a weapon, has anyone found anything useful here, because they guys with guns are friggin tough when 7 are shooting you at once.

From what I remember....no. I cleared out all the guys and the witches that spawn there (only after you beat the fifth boss) and all that's dropped are bullets and viles. It opens up the path to the fifth boss but nothing really useful in the woods.

so this thread has changed from first time impressions on Souls -games to just being a copy of the OT with normal playthrough commentary and questions? :(

Yaqoub

I've only dabbled with the older Souls games for a very small number of hours each but none of them got me hooked like Bloodborne. I think it's the mix of aesthetics and faster paced gameplay that got me hooked this time around.

The simplification of some of the systems without really losing much of the complexity which I always thought Souls games had was nailed pretty damn well and making it more approachable for me.

I just wish the loading times weren't this bad, hell, I'm trying to make sure I fuck up less just to avoid waiting between deaths, lol.

Amazing game and I hope they do well in sales because they sure as hell made something special.

Feeling good! I'm near the end. I've spent around 40 hours so far. Searching everywhere, looking for secret areas, getting frustrated at some places and bosses, but it never struck me as "impossible, I'll delete the whole game". I've always been vert adaptive player: if my PC gives me 10FPS at WoW raids, I can still do that as main tank on hard modes, if some game wants me to learn new tricks, I'll learn them.

Only thing what sucks is how I kind of missed the games timeframes as I didn't go back as much as I should have. I missed all the NPC action. Well, NG+ with a walkthrough coming up.

I guess playing Souls games is a mindset. Either you adapt to new thing or fail miserably because you pound your head to a brick wall over and over again.

And let me get this out there: Bloodborne is probably my Game of the Generation already.

Kronik

Banned
so this thread has changed from first time impressions on Souls -games to just being a copy of the OT with normal playthrough commentary and questions? :(

Seems like most people here progress around the same pace, as someone pointed out earlier. Its very helpful to check in here and see useful information all the time.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Holy shit the... uh, let's call them eldtritch abominations, in C
ainhurst Castle
hit like trucks. Maybe I should leave and go elsewhere right now...

Gsnap

In a way it has for me, because people are better about spoiler tagging later game stuff here, than in the OT.

Yeah, this is still the best thread for new people since it doesn't move as fast and people are better about spoilers and people are willing to help.

RiverKwai

FINALLY beat Father Gascoigne. Yussssss!

Also, I found a blood gem. Not sure if I can use it or not. Doesn't look like I can install it on anything at the workbench? It's that where I'm supposed to be doing it?

FINALLY beat Father Gascoigne. Yussssss!

Also, I found a blood gem. Not sure if I can use it or not. Doesn't look like I can install it on anything at the workbench? It's that where I'm supposed to be doing it?

Have you fortified your weapon? I think fortifying unlocks sockets.

I think the thing that's frustrating me the most with this game is the fact that its long, labyrinthine levels are impressive and well-designed, but the fact that I have to trek through them so many Goddamn times makes things kind of obnoxious. It sucks when I've been exploring the world for a good fifteen minutes to try and figure out where I'm supposed to be going next, only to get killed by those fucking wolfmen with spears - only to respawn at the lamp knowing what I'm doing, and then take another fifteen minutes trekking through that spot and going through the same routine on the way, to have another go at it and then just die again.

I'll admit I'm a cheater according to the thread topic - I played Dark Souls 1 for about an hour or two. I got past the Taurus Demon at the least. I very much remember checkpoints being way closer together than this. Am I wrong? What am I doing wrong? How do I fix it? How do I git gud?

My technique for Gascoyne was once he
goes into beast mode
I run up the stairs and drop onto the house, then wait for him to follow me. I get a couple of cheap shots in and then jump off and run back up the stairs again. Rinse and repeat.

Also, surely I'm not the only one who has saved a video of every single boss fight they've won? :)

I forgot to do it on Cleric Beast but I definitely did for Father G. I haven't had much time to play since i downed him though so I only have those two under my belt.

I think the thing that's frustrating me the most with this game is the fact that its long, labyrinthine levels are impressive and well-designed, but the fact that I have to trek through them so many Goddamn times makes things kind of obnoxious. It sucks when I've been exploring the world for a good fifteen minutes to try and figure out where I'm supposed to be going next, only to get killed by those fucking wolfmen with spears - only to respawn at the lamp knowing what I'm doing, and then take another fifteen minutes trekking through that spot and going through the same routine on the way, to have another go at it and then just die again.

I'll admit I'm a cheater according to the thread topic - I played Dark Souls 1 for about an hour or two. I got past the Taurus Demon at the least. I very much remember checkpoints being way closer together than this. Am I wrong? What am I doing wrong? How do I fix it? How do I git gud?

The key for me was finding and opening short cuts. Once you do that the back tracking becomes much less frustrating.

danowat

Banned
Had my first meetings with FG this morning, first attempt got him down to a literal pixed of health before he killed him, subsequent attempts weren't so good.

His first two forms are a piece of cake, I can do them with no damage, his beast form is another matter, I normally end up getting stuck between him and the environment, with no way to dodge or get out the way, it almost feels a little cheap that I am getting defeated by the constraints of the environment rather than by my lack of skill, or the enemy.

I might call it a day, I love everything about the game bar the bosses, life is too short for this kind of teeth nashing frustration!!

Last night I got to the
Blood Starved Beast
. I went in with only 2 blood vials, as I was just about to head to bed and wanted to get an idea of his attack patterns ready for the next time I try. I got him down to just a quarter of health before I died. I am pretty convinced I can kill him in a couple of tries this evening.
Pungent blood cocktails and visceral attacks seems to be the way forward.

My technique for Gascoyne was once he
goes into beast mode
I run up the stairs and drop onto the house, then wait for him to follow me. I get a couple of cheap shots in and then jump off and run back up the stairs again. Rinse and repeat.

I did this a couple of times too.

I'm getting my ass kicked by those big guys after Fa
ther G
I need to learn they're movements I guess.

They're pretty slow. Just dodge them quickly.

I got up the hunter with the Gatling gun last night. Killed his friend downstairs and made some decent progress overall.

Maximus.

I feel the same way. Love the gameplay, environment and all that jazz, but having to repeat the same shit over and over when something kills me or surprises me kind of sucks. Right now there are no faster short cuts I have seen, it's just a matter of persevering. More check points would have been nice I guess we have been spoiled all these years, haha.

Had my first meetings with FG this morning, first attempt got him down to a literal pixed of health before he killed him, subsequent attempts weren't so good.

His first two forms are a piece of cake, I can do them with no damage, his beast form is another matter, I normally end up getting stuck between him and the environment, with no way to dodge or get out the way, it almost feels a little cheap that I am getting defeated by the constraints of the environment rather than by my lack of skill, or the enemy.

I might call it a day, I love everything about the game bar the bosses, life is too short for this kind of teeth nashing frustration!!

Keep trying! I must have had about 8-10 goes as it as well but I just about managed to beat him in the end.

danowat

Banned
Keep trying! I must have had about 8-10 goes as it as well but I just about managed to beat him in the end.

I just get no space when he's in his beast form, no space to breath, no space to heal, annoying.

Also, I used an insight to summon a player, no one turned up, and I lost the insight, that's a bad design, you should lose insight until someone connects, it was a waste of an insight.

I just get no space when he's in his beast form, no space to breath, no space to heal, annoying.

Also, I used an insight to summon a player, no one turned up, and I lost the insight, that's a bad design, you should lose insight until someone connects, it was a waste of an insight.

That's why I did my rooftop thing, I couldn't get any space.

nib95

Banned
Very good, though slightly overwhelming and scary. It's not so much that it's crazy hard, but more so that you can do so quickly if you slip up even a little, and it can be a bit overwhelming with regards to what and how to do things. There's very little hand holding, and not much of a tutorial. Had to keep referring back to the little control pamphlet that came with my retail copy of the game, to remember some of the buttons lol.

Overall though, I'm very much enjoying it. Atmosphere and sense of tension is intense.

Cleric Beast was kicking my ass and took me about 10 tries because the shotgun was useless to set up the riposte so I had to time my Molotov Cocktails perfectly. Plus I had to fight the camera too....

Father Gascoigne was a joke in comparison. Music box and shotgun parry/riposte took him down in a little over a minute. He was easier to stun than normal enemies. Took 3 tries.

Overall I'm loving this game. It definitely lives up to the hype.

Top Bottom