• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, all Bloodborne players who haven't played Souls before, how's it going?

I often thought that games could have so many different types of enemies, always thought that would be awesome that games have tons of them but realized that It couldn't be done... what a lie, this game(s) put everything else to shame in that regard.

Shredderi

Oh my god the hunter at the
Cathedral. It was part of Eileen's questline. Boy did that fucker suck. I mean, one shotting with a pistol? I lured him to the stairs and only attacked when he was in his two-hand mode. No way I was doing anything with him having his pistol in hand. Also the only time so far that I used the wooden shield. It was a fricking life saviour in absorbing the pistol damage. The last phase where he didn't wield the katana with two hands was nerve wrecking as I only did one slash here and there and played it ultra super safe while almost taking pistol rounds to the face.

Out of curiosity how do you start unlocking more weapons?

I've killed CB and FG and I'm at the part where the massive dude is with an Axe.

I've been to the sewers and got the armour from there, also got another weapon which I've not used yet.

Is there anything I should be looking to picking up before progressing further?

Auctopus

Maybe im just a good playet but at the end of the game i had about 16 vials left

NG+ and ive beaten

Cleric Beast
Father Gascoigne
Vicar Amelia
& Shadows of Yarnham

And i have the full set of 24 vials on me as well as 99 in storage. The game is telling me i cant pick up more its kind of funny cause so many people are saying how annoying farming is and here i am chillin with 99 vials. This is why you drop some of them echoes into blood vials in the dream instead of exclusively using them for levelling.

Uh, okay? Sort of off topic.

Mendax

Out of curiosity how do you start unlocking more weapons?

I've killed CB and FG and I'm at the part where the massive dude is with an Axe.

I've been to the sewers and got the armour from there, also got another weapon which I've not used yet.

Is there anything I should be looking to picking up before progressing further?

you need badges you can pick up or loot/get from npcs to unlock more purchase options at the store in the hunter's dream. Gotta catch 'em all.

SomTervo

Wuht, he didn't even transform? That's some weird glitch you've found. xD

Looks like the guy basically cornered and cheesed Father G, constantly restarting his transformation animation... Amazing idea

Do you have to kill the sewer pig to get to father G?

No, and others aren't giving good answers here. From the Central Yharnam lantern, if you've unlocked the gate immediately to your left, you can use an elevator to get to the bridge within about 20 seconds of spawn. Then bait the boulder to kill the mob, run past all the enemies, and you're at FG within a minute or so.

Paasei

Glad to hear, I ended my play session last night standing on her doorstep.

Easy if you know what to, and what NOT to do =)

I had no clue what happened 2 days ago.
I died from a NPC with a giant sack and ended up spawning in another zone.
Anyway, found a boss there.

Fucking finally beat Father G! Been trying to do so since Sunday. Once I got the hammer, and learned his parry spots while in human form, all I ended up having to do was dodge his jumps in wolf form and he leaves himself wide open to heavy hammer attacks.

I can't remember a game where I felt such relief from beating a boss. I think I may give Demons Souls another shot after playing this, and finally get around to Dark Souls.

IKizzLE

I agree, got it on my first try. I had to coop BSB and Shadows of Yarnham though. :(

Had 2 other people help me with Shadows of Yarnham. Fuck those reapers.
Ive killed 9 bosses, level 60 and 22 hours played. How much left to go? This game is honestly draining my life.

Melchiah

On a side note, I LOVE the level design of this game... small touches like the elevator shortcuts becoming available after each boss... it really makes you appreciate the layout/feel of the whole thing.

Are all Souls games like this? Wondrous level design with amazing and challenging gameplay? BioWare may have competition with From Software as my fave dev soon.. yikes!

I was amazed, when I opened a short cut from the sewers to the giant banging on the door.

There weren't really such short cuts in Soul Reaver, but Bloodborne's branching and gradually opening game world, which spreads like tentacles from the center, reminds me of it. And that's one of the things I love about the game, along with the atmosphere and similarly profound lore. Moving through the lanterns/gates is also something they have in common.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I love how I was literally 1 hit from beating Gascoigne the very first time I ran into him (even before Cleric Beast)... and now I've just died 8 times trying to kill the fucker.

Gonna sleep it off, strategise tomorrow and think of devilish ways I will kill this man-beast (maybe fire.. hmm, yes.. fire).

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The woods have given me a bit of trouble so my progress slowed a bit. I found two shortcuts and I'm guessing I'm close to a boss with the second one I unlocked before having to call it a night.

KingGondo

Banned
I love how I was literally 1 hit from beating Gascoigne the very first time I ran into him (even before Cleric Beast)... and now I've just died 8 times trying to kill the fucker.

Gonna sleep it off, strategise tomorrow and think of devilish ways I will kill this man-beast (maybe fire.. hmm, yes.. fire).
Learning to dodge effectively is the key to beating tough enemies in my experience. Dodge toward Father G, then dodge to the side when he swings.

RiverKwai

I am losing patience and not having fun anymore with this game. :(
I am now bored as I dominate the entire area I can roam (everything until father gascoigne). Trolls are systematically eviscerated. No enemy really poses major trouble, except the werewolves, and even those I can take care of fairly easily. Well, except that giant pig that I always engage from behind, but seems too strong for frontal assault for now. I enjoy fighting those tall, skinny, spear-carrying weirdoes.

But I. cannot. kill. this motherfucker. I can't. I think at this point it's trauma, because I used to be able to get to beast form pretty easily (back when I didn't realize he had two 'human' forms, but now I have problem getting past the second form (I can not figure out for the life of me the timing for parrying his longaxe attacks. I just try to parry pathetically, and get axed in the face). Sometimes I get the parry but i got axed anyway, so I can't even get the attack in. Often I'll get parries, and the visceral attack won't connect. Either I am too far, or by the time i get close and release the left stick it's too late. I got to the beast form a couple of times, got two visceral attacks in, but at my level/strenght, it gets him to a sliver of health away from dying, but then I die (and only my wife's look of disapproval prevented me from throwing the ps4 out of the window)
I went from a stockpile of tons of bullets and health vials, to 0 vials, 0 bullets (and while in theory i could beat father G without vials, doing it without bullets sounds like madness), and 0 echoes. And it's getting more pathetic as I try to rush and engage it with two vials and 5 bullets obtained from blood sacrifice, b/c I can't be bothered with roaming the stupid fucking city for a few bullets (I know 4 of them can easily be obtained from the wheelchair dude)
Given the gun does pathetic damage and is essentially the parry, I really wish they'd replenish the bullets when you resurrect.
I think I'll just stop. This stopped being interesting to me hours ago.
None of what I can read on this thread or online seems to help. The beast seems somewhat ok to parry, but is very unforgiving for mistakes. I run into motherfucking tombstones all the time.
Back to hotline miami 2 in hard mode, which somehow frustrates me much less. I'd do the boat level fifty times in a row rather than face that fucking asshole.

Don't give up man! Gascoigne took me like 30 tries. I ended up using the tombstones to shield me through his first two stages, and as soon as he transformed, I ran for the stairs and did the loop where you hit him a few times up on the upper level, haul ass to the far side of the platform, jump down to the roof, jump down to the cemetary, then run back to the stairs. Gives you plenty of space, he can't catch you right away, it nullifies his jumping attack, and if you have molotovs, you can just pelt him with them as he's slowly coming up the steps. Makes things easier.

I kept trying the stay close and dodge method, but every time he transformed into beastyG, it would knock me back and stun me. This equals insta-death . Finally figured out the spacing, but kept getting caught on tombstones, so... I took the fight to where there are less tombstones.

benjammin

Dodge and parry until he turns, then haul ass up the stairs as he's transforming and lob a couple molotovs at him while he climbing the staircase. If he gets too close then drop down off the far edge, rinse and repeat.

Moonkeis

Gatling dude in
Old Yarhnam
... no luck trying to take this guy down after 5 trips up there.
I know people have had him just jump to his death but mine wants to live...

Beat BSB last night as well. Took me a few goes. It was weird though as in the final stage he didn't seem to be trying to attack me at all. He'd just stand on hind legs and fire that gas stuff everywhere. Seemed to drain my stamina but I was still able to finish him off.

I love Bloodborne and it kind of makes me want to play Dark Souls and Demon's Souls... But those games look so bland in comparison. It feels like they have no style. I even played Demon's Souls for an hour or so and it looks like PS2 game. Am I missing something? My favorite part of Bloodborne is crazy sense of discovery. I can think of 5 optional areas that look very distinctive. Is there something like that in Souls games?

Shredderi

Day 7:
Rom the Fuckuous Spider or: How I Learned To Stop Dying And Love The Tonitrus. After many times of methodically disposing of it's minions and then going to attack, I just ran to it's side, giving no fucks about the loser minions and just pummeled with Tonitrus. The battle was over very quickly.

Shredderi

Tips on dealing with enemies in
Byrgenwerth and Rom? Required level? Especially for Ax users.

What enemies in particular are you having problems with? The
insectoids or the hunter inside the building? As for Rom, bolt paper is your friend. Maybe equip the arcane rune that you get from outside the building to soften the blow of Rom's spells.

Edit: In the end I won the Rom by largely ignoring it's small spider minions and just went for Rom's side or back until it teleported away. Rinse repeat. In it's second phase you gotta be careful of it's AoE explosion that comes from Rom itself. I think you can interrupt it by attacking it enough so keep wailing on his side. The small spiders are not easy to totally ignore so be vigilant and do evade them if you see them attacking or jumping at you, but I would advise prioritizing offensive measures against the head honcho

Jisgsaw

why would you run around with that many? by the way I have lost my share too, what do most people spend them on ? just levelling mostly?

As that just happened to me: because that's more or less what you get when you first explore a new region and kill everything.
Just happened to me in the forbidden forest. The most annoying thing being I was killed by a very weak enemy that was alone...

Shredderi

Well the base mechanics are the same. And i watched a friend playing near the end and it was still the same moves over and over. Dodge, attack, parry here and there. So slow.

Well... What do you think one should be doing in this game? I mean, you have your bayonettas and devil may cry games and they are fantastic but I'm glad that there are more methodical, if slower, action games like bloodborne so we have greater variety overall.

SeanR1221

Man. I'm hooked. So glad I decided to buy this game. Once it clicks it clicks.

I just
knocked the guy with the mini gun off the roof
and stopped after that.

AwShucks

So the thing that's pissing me off the most is that the equipment doesn't seem to vary much in terms of stats. Some defense variance but mostly it's "this is good against fire, this is good against poison".

For me, I'd like something that feels like an actual better piece of equipment than the first set I bought.

Shredderi

So the thing that's pissing me off the most is that the equipment doesn't seem to vary much in terms of stats. Some defense variance but mostly it's "this is good against fire, this is good against poison".

For me, I'd like something that feels like an actual better piece of equipment than the first set I bought.

Same here.

Top Bottom