• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, all Bloodborne players who haven't played Souls before, how's it going?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I love Bloodborne and it kind of makes me want to play Dark Souls and Demon's Souls... But those games look so bland in comparison. It feels like they have no style. I even played Demon's Souls for an hour or so and it looks like PS2 game. Am I missing something? My favorite part of Bloodborne is crazy sense of discovery. I can think of 5 optional areas that look very distinctive. Is there something like that in Souls games?

?????

Granted, the souls games are more about the art style than graphical grunt, but still,...

Demon's Souls looks and plays nothing like a PS2 game. Especially after the "i only played for an hour" comment, i'm not even sure what your talking about.

I love Bloodborne and it kind of makes me want to play Dark Souls and Demon's Souls... But those games look so bland in comparison. It feels like they have no style. I even played Demon's Souls for an hour or so and it looks like PS2 game. Am I missing something? My favorite part of Bloodborne is crazy sense of discovery. I can think of 5 optional areas that look very distinctive. Is there something like that in Souls games?
Demons' and Dark have very bland starting levels, but there's a lot of more nuanced art design. It's not the generic fantasy it first appears to be, but it's not as in your face with it's darker elements as BB.

There are a lot of later areas in the games that are very, very distinctive. Bloodborne itself is inspired from the atmosphere from one world from Demons'.

?????

Granted, the souls games are more about the art style than graphical grunt, but still,...

Demon's Souls looks and plays nothing like a PS2 game. Especially after the "i only played for an hour" comment, i'm not even sure what your talking about.

It was not necessarily a criticism. I was talking about first impression. I did play great, but environments looked very bland. I'm sure I will enjoy it. For me it's a question if it's worth the investment of my time considering that my favorite part about Bloodborne was its style. Is there anything like that in Souls games? All screenshots look very similar...

Demons' and Dark have very bland starting levels, but there's a lot of more nuanced art design. It's not the generic fantasy it first appears to be, but it's not as in your face with it's darker elements as BB.

There are a lot of later areas in the games that are very, very distinctive. Bloodborne itself is inspired from the atmosphere from one world from Demons'.

I kind of wish those games were on Vita or something... Would be easier to play in small chunks. I got through Bloodborne in a week or so and it definitely feels like it's taking up too much of my time. And what sucks is that I prefer to play it over doing about anything else. I think my wife will divorce me if I get into other games as much as I got into Bloodborne. :)

KingGondo

Banned
I kind of wish those games were on Vita or something... Would be easier to play in small chunks. I got through Bloodborne in a week or so and it definitely feels like it's taking up too much of my time. And what sucks is that I prefer to play it over doing about anything else. I think my wife will divorce me if I get into other games as much as I got into Bloodborne. :)
There's always the remote play option...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It was not necessarily a criticism. I was talking about first impression. I did play great, but environments looked very bland. I'm sure I will enjoy it. For me it's a question if it's worth the investment of my time considering that my favorite part about Bloodborne was its style. Is there anything like that in Souls games? All screenshots look very similar...

Don't play games by screenshots. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are two of the best games of all time. This wishy washy thing is uncalled for. Try them out not halfheartedly to see for yourself.

MSI

Banned
I haven't played a ton yet. But I'm still on the 2nd boss . . .

I'm at the point where if I can't beat him then I go back to farming the two wolves on the bridge.

SeanR1221

I haven't played a ton yet. But I'm still on the 2nd boss . . .

I'm at the point where if I can't beat him then I go back to farming the two wolves on the bridge.

Wouldn't it be better to farm the pig, troll and dudes on the bridge and those two lanky wolves right before the second boss? Gets you about 1500 echoes quickly

Fuck Dark
beast Paarl
. Took me at least 50 tries to take it down. My hands are trembling as I type this.

The key I found to this fight was
be relentless. Go full kamikaze on his head and keep attacking it until he stuns and loses his charge, rinse and repeat. A lot of his attack patterns aren't meant to be dodged through - they're meant to punish you for holding back and playing cautiously.

I've noticed a lot of bosses have patterns like this, especially when they have a
weak point
. Bloodborne doesn't want you sitting back and planning your next move, it wants you stuck in.

The witch must be one of the easiest bosses ever in generally hard games

Pinwheel 2.0

Don't play games by screenshots. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are two of the best games of all time. This wishy washy thing is uncalled for. Try them out not halfheartedly to see for yourself.

Playing those games is a huge time commitment. I would definitely play them if not for that. I already have both of those games through PS+ and Games for Gold, so it's not an issue of cost or anything. It's not the type of game I can play few hour per week.

I was wondering if there's much reward in terms of exploration. I already know what to expect in terms of grinding and difficulty. According to most people Souls games are better from gameplay perspective, but I want to know about other elements that I really liked in Bloodborne.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I had one of my favorite moments last night in the Forbidden woods. I got to the
cannon
for the first time, saw it and freaked out rolling backwards. A pitchfork asshole (hate those guys) chased after me and ran right into it's path and got obliterated. :D

So I lucked out by not dying at a new threat the first time and having a funny enemy suicide. :D

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The witch must be one of the easiest bosses ever in generally hard games
Heh, she's like the Fool's Idol/Pinwheel type of boss, I guess. Though probably not as pitifully easy.

I was amazed, when I opened a short cut from the sewers to the giant banging on the door.

There weren't really such short cuts in Soul Reaver
Wrong Souls game? ;)

Fuck Dark
beast Paarl
. Took me at least 50 tries to take it down. My hands are trembling as I type this.
Are you serious? I... don't quite understand how that can happen. I just got up to its face, wailed like crazy with the whip, dodged a few really telegraphed attacks, and he went down almost instantly. Easiest boss for me, I barely even had to heal.
How was he difficult for you? I know everyone struggles on different bosses or whatever, but I'm starting to think my version of this one had a glitched AI because that's just too much. xD

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I was wondering if there's much reward in terms of exploration. I already know what to expect in terms of grinding and difficulty. According to most people Souls games are better from gameplay perspective, but I want to know about other elements that I really liked in Bloodborne.
Exploration is hugely satisfying and rewarding in all those games. Do play them as soon as you can.

Heh, she's like the Fool's Idol/Pinwheel type of boss, I guess. Though probably not as pitifully easy.

Wrong Souls game? ;)

Are you serious? I... don't quite understand how that can happen. I just got up to its face, wailed like crazy with the whip, dodged a few really telegraphed attacks, and he went down almost instantly. Easiest boss for me, I barely even had to heal.
How was he difficult for you? I know everyone struggles on different bosses or whatever, but I'm starting to think my version of this one had a glitched AI because that's just too much. xD

your lvl and weapon lvl and choice of weapon could probably make a big difference on the difficulty of that boss. :)

Slixshot

Banned
Playing those games is a huge time commitment. I would definitely play them if not for that. I already have both of those games through PS+ and Games for Gold, so it's not an issue of cost or anything. It's not the type of game I can play few hour per week.

Bro... I HEAR you. 35 hours for me in a week is unheard of. But I did it, I loved it, and I'm afraid to play the other three.

MSI

Banned
Wouldn't it be better to farm the pig, troll and dudes on the bridge and those two lanky wolves right before the second boss? Gets you about 1500 echoes quickly

Thats about as many echos I get at the bridge, cause its 3 crows, troll, 4 guys in the house, wheelchair guy gives you the bullets back that you use on the troll, and then the two wolves. And you can run back to the lantern to do it all over again quick.

No offense but you're not really dominating anything if you get killed by that pig mob. Give the game a chance until you beat Father G because the game only really starts then. Lots of new content and stuff opens up. Also use molotovs because he takes lots of fire damage.

I never actually tried to face the pig mob. I might now. I just thought it was beyond my level because I once entered the tunnel in spite of multiple warnings, so it charged at me, and realized I had left beyond the crows and the weird crawling sewer bodies which would limit my fighting space and open me to back attacks, so i started climbing the ladder instead. It struck me through the wall and killed me in one shot. I am generally not super into cleaning the sewer first (the crawling bodies are easy but tedious), so i just go around it and kill it by strong attack+visceral. (I then proceeded to jump down the hole and die in spite of multiple warnings).

Getting past your kind of childish 'git gud', I obviously don't mean I dominate the game - I mean, I get wrecked by the second boss after like 20 tries (I will try again tonight). I meant dominate the _area_ by 'there is very little left in the main area which leaves a challenge and so repetition has become boring'. It's more memorization (exact parry timing for troll, location of every enemy, how to bait enemies away from bonfire, yadda yadda) than actual skill at this point. Either way, I can easily clean up the mobs, but it's not fun anymore. I might summon if i can't do it, but somehow doubt i'll get past the other bosses if I am that stuck on G.

MSI

Banned
I never actually tried to face the pig mob. I might now. I just thought it was beyond my level because I once entered the tunnel in spite of multiple warnings, so it charged at me, and realized I had left beyond the crows and the weird crawling sewer bodies which would limit my fighting space and open me to back attacks, so i started climbing the ladder instead. It struck me through the wall and killed me in one shot. I am generally not super into cleaning the sewer first (the crawling bodies are easy but tedious), so i just go around it and kill it by strong attack+visceral. (I then proceeded to jump down the hole and die in spite of multiple warnings).

Getting past your kind of childish 'git gud', I obviously don't mean I dominate the game - I mean, I get wrecked by the second boss after like 20 tries (I will try again tonight). I meant dominate the _area_ by 'there is very little left in the main area which leaves a challenge and so repetition has become boring'. It's more memorization (exact parry timing for troll, location of every enemy, how to bait enemies away from bonfire, yadda yadda) than actual skill at this point. Either way, I can easily clean up the mobs, but it's not fun anymore. I might summon if i can't do it, but somehow doubt i'll get past the other bosses if I am that stuck on G.

I can get his health about half way. I hear molotovs work well once you get him into beast mode. I haven't made it that far yet. I bought some more weapons and leveled up some. Did you try that? Get the kirkhammer?

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
So the thing that's pissing me off the most is that the equipment doesn't seem to vary much in terms of stats. Some defense variance but mostly it's "this is good against fire, this is good against poison".

For me, I'd like something that feels like an actual better piece of equipment than the first set I bought.
Funny thing is, this is one of the things from the other Souls games that BB streamlined. Previously you had many, many different varieties of armor. The stats were balanced by equip burden, so you don't always want the "strongest" armor. One nice thing about the Souls games is that you can pick up some equipment in the early game and reasonably expect it to hold up throughout the entire game if you want it to. Early game zombie grass skirts may only have 1/10th the defense as a lategame suit of black knight armor, but maybe you can only equip 1 unit of weight left, so that early game armor has a place.

By removing equip burden, you flatten the balance of armor so that the stats are most important. So in order to keep that philosophy of viable equipment no matter when you find it, you'll find that most armors just deviate from the base amounts by different varieties, but generally stay about the same average quality.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Pfft about armour stats and weight, if you aren't playing Fashion Souls you're doing it wrong. ;)

No, I was referring to Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. ;)
Oh gotcha, sorry, I misread your post.

I honestly think Bloodborne is the next best thing to a new Legacy of Kain and Eternal Darkness game (possibly even better, and I say this as a huge LoK fan). Yharnam would really belong in Nosgoth (a bit more technologically advanced but that's it) with its architecture and gothic atmosphere, and the game is chock full of Lovecraftian nightmares:
Nightmare Frontier in particular; those slimy white things remind me of shoggoths, the rock hurlers remind me of Lovecraft's brutish white apes, the insanity, pardon, frenzy inducing Cthulhu-headed singing monstrosities, the warped dreamlike geometry, and all those cosmic horrors like Ebrietas... yep.

your lvl and weapon lvl and choice of weapon could probably make a big difference on the difficulty of that boss. :)
Yeah maybe. I don't remember exactly, but I must have been using the cane at around +6 or so, maybe?

sora87

I'm totally bored with the
Unseen Village
area. Just pissing me off now, getting thrown around by
portals made by those big fuckers, enemies just spawning under your feet, like 7 of them waiting on the stairs
. I just wanna get past this piece of shit but I end up dying either way trying to rush through. I stop playing games when they stop being fun but I really wanna see the rest of this game :(

I've played for maybe 3 hrs now and died probably about 30 times and I can't even get past the Ax wielder. I suck at games. Keeping at it though. I am getting closer.

Koh

I've played for maybe 3 hrs now and died probably about 30 times and I can't even get past the Ax wielder. I suck at games. Keeping at it though. I am getting closer.

It took me 6+ hours to get through the first two bosses. The second one i died to at least 30 times. Then it clicked and death was an abnormality. Beat the final boss in two tries, with several bosses going down on the first attempt.

Those notes that say don't give up are right. The game rewards experience, especially for those who haven't played a souls game previously like myself.

joecanada

is there a limit to how much you should level a weapon? for instance I am using kirkhammer but don't know if I like it more than sawblade, but I have about 50 bloodshards so does it matter that much?

also how do you summon a specific friend, and I have the small bell to call but don't see the other one in my inventory to go out and help?

Melchiah

Oh gotcha, sorry, I misread your post.

I honestly think Bloodborne is the next best thing to a new Legacy of Kain and Eternal Darkness game (possibly even better, and I say this as a huge LoK fan). Yharnam would really belong in Nosgoth (a bit more technologically advanced but that's it) with its architecture and gothic atmosphere, and the game is chock full of Lovecraftian nightmares:

Yeah, I agree. The first Soul Reaver is among my all-time favorites, as my username might tell, and I love Bloodborne's world because it has a similar feeling to it. It's also the first game I've played since the LOK series, that manages to entice me to the same extent. The mind begins to wander about the events, that lead to the current state of Yarnaham/Nosgoth and its inhabitants.

Godcannon

At what point does insight start having on effect on the game?
I mean, enemies becoming more difficult and stuff like that.

From what I've heard, Sh*% hits the fan at 20. I'm at 19!!

Just beat the 5th boss and this is the greatest thing I've played since Devil May Cry.

breakfuss

From what I've heard, Sh*% hits the fan at 20. I'm at 19!!

Just beat the 5th boss and this is the greatest thing I've played since Devil May Cry.

Yeah, I heard it's around 15-20. I know someone who is still convinced it doesn't have any effect though.

Godcannon

Yeah, I heard it's around 15-20. I know someone who is still convinced it doesn't have any effect though.

In Hemwick Chanel for example, I heard at least 10 insight will spawn soot monsters, but if you're under it won't. ( I had Soot monsters at 10+)

Supposedly, after 20 is the next stage where more enemies and harder enemies start occuring,

Do you know abou the giant invisible demon? This is how I first heard about insight changing things..
So, if you go to Cathedral Ward, go to the first door to your left, and go straight back (a little to the right) there are some graves and a tree. If you get close to this tree, an orb spawns, and my curiousity got the best of me and I stepped into it. Well, all the sudden a giant invisible demon (you can BARELY see it) picks me up and squishes me into Jamba juice. Now I heard that if you have 20 insight, you can see him clearly. I'm 1 insight away from testing this.....

Edit: @Tetsuo- Word, well there you have it.....

i'm 30+ hours in. i just beat
Rom and those damn 3 hunters in the unseen village. the nightmare frontier has been open and available to me for quite some time, but i felt like it was similar situation as the area where you get kidnapped, and it's not the logical next place to traverse. when i first got to gaol or whatever the fuck it's called i assumed that was the next area to explore and i died against DBP a few times because i was vastly underpowered/underleveled

eitherway i'm loving this game. i found the learning curve to be quite steep at first (it took my 7+ hours to beat the first boss), but after c
eric beast
i thought the difficultly leveled off quite a bit, the next 5 or so bosses i beat in 1-2 tries. but where i'm at now it feels like the difficultly is spiking up a little bit again (
rom and those 3 hunters took me 4-5 tries each
).

instant classic for me. the first big, big flag in the sand for gen 8

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
In Hemwick Chanel for example, I heard at least 10 insight will spawn soot monsters, but if you're under it won't. ( I had Soot monsters at 10+)

Supposedly, after 20 is the next stage where more enemies and harder enemies start occuring,

Do you know abou the giant invisible demon? This is how I first heard about insight changing things..
So, if you go to Cathedral Ward, go to the first door to your left, and go straight back (a little to the right) there are some graves and a tree. If you get close to this tree, an orb spawns, and my curiousity got the best of me and I stepped into it. Well, all the sudden a giant invisible demon (you can BARELY see it) picks me up and squishes me into Jamba juice. Now I heard that if you have 20 insight, you can see him clearly. I'm 1 insight away from testing this.....

You need 40

So I found the
abandoned old workshop
, then decided to see if I could push on past that, dropped down where you face the
wolf thing that throws fire
, then made it outside. After a few easy enemies I come across this hulking guy
with a bag
, I died after two hits and when I wake up, I have been
kidnapped and I awake in the Hypogean Gaol, which takes me out to the Unseen Village
. Well I was put firmly in my place. I am most certainly not ready for that just yet.

Adaren

My biggest complaint about Bloodborne thus far is that it doesn't reward exploration as much as Dark Souls did.

BossLackey

Gold Member

Seriously?

If anything, Bloodborne has the most similar areas of all the Souls games. You want a sense of discovery? Well the earlier games you are so quick to write off have that in spades.

JustSquid

What enemies in particular are you having problems with? The
insectoids or the hunter inside the building? As for Rom, bolt paper is your friend. Maybe equip the arcane rune that you get from outside the building to soften the blow of Rom's spells.

Edit: In the end I won the Rom by largely ignoring it's small spider minions and just went for Rom's side or back until it teleported away. Rinse repeat. In it's second phase you gotta be careful of it's AoE explosion that comes from Rom itself. I think you can interrupt it by attacking it enough so keep wailing on his side. The small spiders are not easy to totally ignore so be vigilant and do evade them if you see them attacking or jumping at you, but I would advise prioritizing offensive measures against the head honcho

Yeah the hunter's are annoying but their attacks become predictable. The insects are annoying because they seem to attack regardless if I'm wailing on them and their "auto target" jump follows me. I'm mostly complaining but the Rom tid-bit was helpful, thanks!

Seriously?

If anything, Bloodborne has the most similar areas of all the Souls games. You want a sense of discovery? Well the earlier games you are so quick to write off have that in spades.

My copy of Dark Souls arrived today it will be the next thing I play after Bloodborne and I can't wait.

Top Bottom