• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, all Bloodborne players who haven't played Souls before, how's it going?

BajiBoxer

Banned
Have you explored the rest of Central Yarnham already? There's some armor in one of the sewers which can help a lot. Otherwise, trial and error. Don't get carried away with your attacks, which was my biggest problem.
Lol, right after I posted I finally found the path that gets me to the sewers and got my first insight point. Don't know why I never noticed, lol.

Vamp

I am sorry if this is not right thread but I have a problem with bloodborne disk.

After I insert disk it starts installing. After 30 seconds I am given option to start the game. I start it and after the first booting screen (with bloodborne logo on it) I receive message saying that disk is damaged, data is corrupted and can not continue with installation.

I returned the disk for new one, I got the same error message.

I don't have internet so I can not download the day 1 patch, I don't know if it makes any difference.

I tried 2 other games (on disk) to see if my drive is busted but they are working fine. My ps4 firmware is 2.5 (installed from USB).

Dynasty8

I am sorry if this is not right thread but I have a problem with bloodborne disk.

After I insert disk it starts installing. After 30 seconds I am given option to start the game. I start it and after the first booting screen (with bloodborne logo on it) I receive message saying that disk is damaged, data is corrupted and can not continue with installation.

I returned the disk for new one, I got the same error message.

I don't have internet so I can not download the day 1 patch, I don't know if it makes any difference.

I tried 2 other games (on disk) to see if my drive is busted but they are working fine. My ps4 firmware is 2.5 (installed from USB).

I had a similar problem with Infamous...just deleted it and reinstalled it and it worked.

Also, sometimes it usually does that when there's a fingerprint on the disc.

Vamp

I had a similar problem with Infamous...just deleted it and reinstalled it and it worked.

Also, sometimes it usually does that when there's a fingerprint on the disc.

I tried deleting and installing the game 3-4 times. No luck.

Dynasty8

I tried deleting and installing the game 3-4 times. No luck.

Damn...my other guess would be to delete the cache or do a hard reset (hold the power button on the console for about 10 seconds).

If that doesn't work, I'd call Sony...they would have a better solution.

I just got BSB then died from poison. I ran out of antidotes (only had 2) so I just went all out and killed him in the final stretch. Probably not the best strat but if it works.

noob here. Should I bother upgrading my starting axe at all or wait for a better weapon?

I started with the Saw Cleaver and I upgraded it to +6 before switching to another weapon. Imo you can get pretty for in the game with your starting weapon. I beat
Vicar Amelia
with it on my 2nd try.

GeNoMe

no point. Have you beaten VA yet? If so you
need to head from the grand cathedral all the way down the road to the circular square with the 2 giants wielding axes. Go right there, then left into a building, down the stairs and through a password-gate to enter the next area.

Call me hard headed, but I went ahead and got rid of gatling guy anyway :)
I'm still not sure what you mean by
heading down the road from the grand cathedral, I didn't see any giants wieling axes.
I was just running around in circles cleaning house.

Styles

After breezing through BSB yesterday, V
icar Amelia
is destroying me. ugh. I really need a new weapon, this Cane isn't doing it for me anymore.

After breezing through BSB yesterday, V
icar Amelia
is destroying me. ugh. I really need a new weapon, this Cane isn't doing it for me anymore.

Ironically it was the whip cane that did it for me after trying to use the rifle spear on her like I did with BSB.

The whip path is perfect for taking out her arms.

Jisgsaw

Ironically it was the whip cane that did it for me after trying to use the rifle spear on her like I did with BSB.

The whip path is perfect for taking out her arms.

And her head, which is her weak point.
I have some trouble letting go of the cane. I have the blades of mercy, but they're quite different to use; not one or two shoting the mobs is hard to get used to.

Mendax

Call me hard headed, but I went ahead and got rid of gatling guy anyway :)
I'm still not sure what you mean by
heading down the road from the grand cathedral, I didn't see any giants wieling axes.
I was just running around in circles cleaning house.

if you warp to the grand cathedral and walk outside through the entrance you just go straight ahead until you find the square with the two giants in white mantles wielding giat bloody axes :p if you take a right turn there and go left into a building it will lead to a new area.

marcincz

Christ. 8 attempts with Father G. He is still breathing. Just few times and this fight kill me. Last time he had maybe 20% of life, 2nd form and I died. Must try harder.

Gskyace

I don't play any Dark Souls or Demon Souls.
Get the Platinum trophy in 80 hours, and without calling anybody for help to fight.
It's great to be challenged. Really enjoy the game.

Elixist

noob here. Should I bother upgrading my starting axe at all or wait for a better weapon?

beat the game with just 2h axe and almost no bullets. so ya its a good weapon. L2 for crowd control or sidestepping hunters and R2 for broken tier hiding behind pillars or watnot.

Noaloha

Can confirm that GASS-koyn is the correct pronunciation. The surname is fairly common in parts of the UK/Éire. Plus there's a well-known (at least among people of a certain age) footballer with the surname.

Once you've got past the awkward nice-to-meet-you phase, once you're mates, feel free to call the NPC 'Gazza'.

Skynet87

Neo Member
This game is getting very interesting to me. I'm lvl 61 with 37 insight and having that much insight really changes the game and the look of it. I know killing bosses also have an effect on the world (I've taken out 8 bosses so far) but after consuming more insight, I'm beginning to see enemies and things that weren't there before. There's no more survivors. Last time I knocked on people's doors, they were just screaming and moaning and now, no one answers. Everyone is gone. It's beginning to look and feel like a different game to me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Father Gascoigne was annoying. I eventually got past his first phase by standing behind some gravestones so he couldn't get directly to me, and using the extended axe to hit him. Keep the gravestones between you by circling round if he does. When he transformed to beast mode I just backed off and used molotovs which he is weak to.

But if you aren't enjoying that fight, later hunter fights will drive you crazy..

It might be odd but I love souls games, but never really liked fighting the bosses.

Mendax

I don't play any Dark Souls or Demon Souls.
Get the Platinum trophy in 80 hours, and without calling anybody for help to fight.
It's great to be challenged. Really enjoy the game.

nice, gratz! be sure to try to get the scholar of the first sin plat as well; great fun.

Maximus.

Finally got a chance to really dive in and was able to level my hunter to level 21. I focused on vitality and endurance. At first I tried the Cleric Beast a couple times and got it to half health, but my stamina would just not keep up. While levelling I found the sewers and took on the huge pig, which I realized Molotov's made easy work. I found the Saw hunter badge and it allowed me to get some of the other starter weapons, which was cool. I think I will attempt the Cleric Beast boss again soon, any tips on what to do other than attack it from behind?

Gsnap

Finally got a chance to really dive in and was able to level my hunter to level 21. I focused on vitality and endurance. At first I tried the Cleric Beast a couple times and got it to half health, but my stamina would just not keep up. While levelling I found the sewers and took on the huge pig, which I realized Molotov's made easy work. I found the Saw hunter badge and it allowed me to get some of the other starter weapons, which was cool. I think I will attempt the Cleric Beast boss again soon, any tips on what to do other than attack it from behind?

If you've only leveled vitality and endurance, you need to level strength or skill too (whichever one scales best with your weapon)

Maximus.

If you've only leveled vitality and endurance, you need to level strength or skill too (whichever one scales best with your weapon)

Now that I have got those two stats boosted, I definitely will focus my attention to whichever area will boost my attack.

xrnzaaas

I played until the cathedral boss. After I died there at least a dozen times (and couldn't immediately repeat after a failure) I finally decided that it's not a game for me and sold it. :)

Cairnsay

Banned
Took the plunge and ordered this from Amazon last night. Played about 7 hours of Dark Souls, but didn't have the free time to fully commit to it, though I was enjoying it. I'll probably be in here (crying) a lot over the weekend!

Encountered A
melia
for the first time yesterday and she kicked my arse about four or five times. Fire paper seemed to be really effective - problem is I've ran out of it now. I got her down to about 40% once but I haven't really been close to killing her yet. Maybe I need to update my cleaver a bit as well.

You can pull them separately though,
before the lot of them there is carriage and some stairs behind that allows you to approach them differently. When you do that they start spreading out.

Run up the elevated path to the right of the fire - only a few will follow you. Then run across the back and down the gap, across to the other side, past the hound and leg it up the steps. You're away.

Thanks guys, I'll try this today. I take the
big guy with the meat cleaver
that awaits me, if I follow the path back to the elevated path around town but take a left before the gate, is off-limits until I get somewhat stronger?

Christ. 8 attempts with Father G. He is still breathing. Just few times and this fight kill me. Last time he had maybe 20% of life, 2nd form and I died. Must try harder.

Father Gascoigne was annoying. I eventually got past his first phase by standing behind some gravestones so he couldn't get directly to me, and using the extended axe to hit him. Keep the gravestones between you by circling round if he does. When he transformed to beast mode I just backed off and used molotovs which he is weak to.

But if you aren't enjoying that fight, later hunter fights will drive you crazy..

It might be odd but I love souls games, but never really liked fighting the bosses.

Took me a whole bunch of tries. I ended up farming a lot for blood vials before I went in. What I found worked best for me was to keep circling the graves/trees then to roll past when he attacks.
Get two quick slashes and then run the fuck away. Also remember to use the music box. It works three times before beast mode and once after.

Also, if you can roughly gauge when he goes into beast mode you can wait next to him and deliver a R2 power attack (double axe spin for me). After that run the fuck away. I found the mausoleum near the top left (from where you enter) was the best place to avoid him by constantly running around it. Every once in a while you'll gain enough distance that you can wait for him and chuck a molotov. This method meant that power attack and 2 molotovs was enough kill him for me.

marcincz

Took me a whole bunch of tries. I ended up farming a lot for blood vials before I went in. What I found worked best for me was to keep circling the graves/trees then to roll past when he attacks.
Get two quick slashes and then run the fuck away. Also remember to use the music box. It works three times before beast mode and once after.

Also, if you can roughly gauge when he goes into beast mode you can wait next to him and deliver a R2 power attack (double axe spin for me). After that run the fuck away. I found the mausoleum near the top left (from where you enter) was the best place to avoid him by constantly running around it. Every once in a while you'll gain enough distance that you can wait for him and chuck a molotov. This method meant that power attack and 2 molotovs was enough kill him for me.

When Father G is in 1st form I try to shoot when he attack (stun him) and later R1 2-3 times. It's rather good to me. During 2nd form I tried only music box and R1/R2 once, but last time I was too greed, because press R2 twice and it was my mistake. However molotovs should be very helpful and I must check it.

Lakitu

st5fu
I got it today. I am nervous to tell you the truth. I know I'm going to get utterly destroyed and it's my first From Software game. I'm currently going through the beginners guide in the OT.

is there armour in this game?

I seem to get fucked up so easily, after clearing a whole street of dudes and that quasimodo giant, one small misstep gets my hit by three hunters and their dog and it's goodnight vienna

danowat

Banned
WTF happened there?

I finally killed FG, and was exploring when I searched a body
this big hand came out of nowhere, frenzy, then killed me WTF?

Mendax

is there armour in this game?

I seem to get fucked up so easily, after clearing a whole street of dudes and that quasimodo giant, one small misstep gets my hit by three hunters and their dog and it's goodnight vienna

yes there is but not until quite late in the game

WTF happened there?

in a chapel at a gate past a basin? you'll see what happens there later on in the game

When Father G is in 1st form I try to shoot when he attack (stun him) and later R1 2-3 times. It's rather good to me. During 2nd form I tried only music box and R1/R2 once, but last time I was too greed, because press R2 twice and it was my mistake. However molotovs should be very helpful and I must check it.

Whatever works for you man. I'm still not great with the parry mechanic... But the molotovs are amazing and must have for this fight.

WTF happened there?

Yeap, I barely survived that Frenzy shit when it happened to me, probably because my HP was full and kinda of lvled up :p

apparently you can get Frenzy and lose a bunch of HP if you have a lot of Insight and close to certain enemies....

that's about all I managed to figure out so far :p

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
How should the weapon stats effect your character? I'm using the saw blade so should I be putting points into anything in particular? Am I screwed if I eventually change weapons?

I will never understand how that is possible lol. By far the hardest for me, out of the first 5 bosses or so.

I'm in Old Yharnam now, is there a shortcut to unlock before this boss?

AGoodODST

Warped back to the Cathedral Ward after a wee treck through the woods and nearly jumped a mile after exiting the door.

Insight sure is something.

Top Bottom