• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony 2017 CES Press Conference - 1/4/2017 5PM PST

dracula_x

Any new headphones announced?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/04/sony-extra-bass-speakers-headphones/
https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-ex...ul-enhanced-bass-provides-music-you-can-feel/

MDR-XB950N1 and MDR-XB950B1 EXTRA BASS Wireless Headphones

MDR-XB950N1_G_cw-Large.jpg

C1XsB0KXUAEwgPs.jpg:large

+ MDR-XB550AP EXTRA BASS Wired On-Ear Headphones
+ MDR-XB510AS EXTRA BASS In-Ear Sports Headphones

MrMephistoX

Not getting my hopes up but if they're trying to make a splash CES is the perfect venue for VR announcements probably even more so than any other event.

BigEmil

anddo0

Really sad they didn't announce a new tablet.

Keeping an eye on the X940E pricing.. The OLED price is going to be insane most likely.

Is it a safe bet that Sony will have a native Playstatuon Vue app built-in?

Keeping an eye on the X940E pricing.. The OLED price is going to be insane most likely.

I believe vue is on all of the bravia series tvs now.

Elios83

That TV looks really amazing, hopefully with the new OLED panels they have fixed a few issues current OLEDs have with input lag. Also the burn in for games is a threat, a lot of smartphones have their OLED screens badly burned in after just a couple of years of usage.
Costs still remain really high. 55 inches will go at least for 2500$ and will definetly be more expensive than LG TVs given that LG will provide the panels so they will make an extra profit selling them to a third party.
Still it's nice that more companies are moving to OLED, I wonder what Samsung is going to do with their QLED TVs.

Hawk269

With Sony now releasing a UHD Player, what was the excuse again that they did not include one in the PS4 Pro?

anddo0

I believe vue is on all of the bravia series tvs now.

This video confirms it's in.. Pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F70eDckBna8&t=2s

I'm leaning towards Sony, but I'll do my homework.. Latency is king, I know all three big manufacturers will look good.

They're probably waiting for Google's new Andromeda OS the future for tablets and such
http://www.techradar.com/news/softw...andromeda-everything-you-need-to-know-1329834

Interesting...
We'll see come MWC.. It's not out of the question they could announce it there; maybe the Sony smartwatch 4? that's if they haven't totally given up on wearable's.

With Sony now releasing a UHD Player, what was the excuse again that they did not include one in the PS4 Pro?

to keep the cost down?

Hawk269

This video confirms it's in.. Pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F70eDckBna8&t=2s

I'm leaning towards Sony, but I'll do my homework.. Latency is king, I know all three big manufacturers will look good.

Interesting...
We'll see come MWC.. It's not out of the question they could announce it there; maybe the Sony smartwatch 4? that's if they haven't totally given up on wearable's.

to keep the cost down?

Was being a Smartass...especially to all the Sony Pro defenders that were saying Sony does not care about a physical player since it s all about streaming and it was smart move and shit like that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So how about that smaller ultra short throw 4K projector going up to 120". Is there any chance of this thing being under 10K?

farisr

That's actually the excuse. That they have UHD players in the works and didn't want to be eating into their own sales with the much less profitable (when compared to these standalone players) ps4 pro.

Brandson

That's actually the excuse. That they have UHD players in the works and didn't want to be eating into their own sales with the much less profitable (when compared to these standalone players) ps4 pro.

It's also possible that Sony wanted to launch PS4 Pro before Christmas but their UHD Bluray hardware wasn't ready in time for that. I was initially irritated about that, but I have since realized that 4K Blurays won't be really taking off for at least another 1-2 years anyway. They could add support to future PS4 revisions in that time frame.

RedAssedApe

Banned
It's also possible that Sony wanted to launch PS4 Pro before Christmas but their UHD Bluray hardware wasn't ready in time for that. I was initially irritated about that, but I have since realized that 4K Blurays won't be really taking off for at least another 1-2 years anyway. They could add support to future PS4 revisions in that time frame.

Release an add on for like $50.

Will likely buy their UHD blu-ray player.

Those wireless earbuds are pretty cool too.

So how about that smaller ultra short throw 4K projector going up to 120". Is there any chance of this thing being under 10K?

I think one site listed it at $25000, which is actually pretty good (lol) in that it's about half the price of that previous one that was furniture sized.

Maybe some day they'll get closer to the budget range...sigh, lol.

Edit: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2017/01/sony-vpl-vz1000es-projector/
Edit 2: http://blog.sony.com/press/sony-ele...ra-short-throw-4k-hdr-home-theater-projector/

Mokubba

Does Sony even still care about tablets.
I've been waiting to replace my Xperia Z Tablet for ages now but I think that ship has sailed. I would love a 4K tablet.

Was being a Smartass...especially to all the Sony Pro defenders that were saying Sony does not care about a physical player since it s all about streaming and it was smart move and shit like that.

Didn't they say the data the received from their consoles show that streaming is the way most people view content on consoles. If that is true then it makes sense for the pro to keep costs down but it doesn't mean they shouldn't make a UHD player still to cover all bases.

anddo0

Does Sony even still care about tablets.
I've been waiting to replace my Xperia Z Tablet for ages now but I think that ship has sailed. I would love a 4K tablet.

The Xperia Z4 tablet was just released last year. I purchased it, no complaints. The Z4 is great tablet, with a very usable keyboard.

I'm hoping they continue the line.. If we don't get anything by MWC, Sony could still announce something around the summer.

Where can I rewatch the conference? What did they announce? Did they announce TVs supporting HDMI 2.1 and dynamic HDR?

Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O46v8sYTz5c

Mokubba

The Xperia Z4 tablet was just released last year. I purchased it, no complaints. The Z4 is great tablet, with a very usable keyboard.

I'm hoping they continue the line.. If we don't get anything by MWC, Sony could still announce something around the summer.

Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O46v8sYTz5c

It came out mid 2015 so it's been a year and a half.

I've been on the look out but most places are out of stock and the price has actually gone up in other places. Sony has released 3 flagship phones since then so I'm slowly losing hope.

Hopefully the wave off 4K panels injects some life into tablets.

vivftp

It came out mid 2015 so it's been a year and a half.

I've been on the look out but most places are out of stock and the price has actually gone up in other places. Sony has released 3 flagship phones since then so I'm slowly losing hope.

Hopefully the wave off 4K panels injects some life into tablets.

Well it was announced at MWC 2015, so it's likely if there is another one we'll hear about it next month at MWC.

Very excited to see what phones are announced as I'll be replacing my Xperia Z Ultra. It's been good to me these 3+ years, but it's time for a change. Was tempted by the XA Ultra last year, but I'm glad I held out just a little longer to see what comes this year.

That OLED TV looks amazing. As long as the input lag is good, I'm there.

I'm imagining that speakerless screen sound tech in a future Xperia phone.

Mokubba

Well it was announced at MWC 2015, so it's likely if there is another one we'll hear about it next month at MWC.

Very excited to see what phones are announced as I'll be replacing my Xperia Z Ultra. It's been good to me these 3+ years, but it's time for a change. Was tempted by the XA Ultra last year, but I'm glad I held out just a little longer to see what comes this year.

I'm also hoping for a Z5 premium replacement for my Z2 which has served me well.
A tablet would be icing on the cake.

That OLED TV looks amazing. As long as the input lag is good, I'm there.

I'm imagining that speakerless screen sound tech in a future Xperia phone.

That would be amazing.

Elandyll

Banned
Beyond tbat, also that Sony CE didn't have.tneir hown mass product UHDBR xrive ready to be implemented yet, to provide in house component for the PS4Slim/ Pro.

With this releasing in 2017, I imagine that if the Playstation division felt the pressure to implement that feature, we could see an "Ultra 4K" refresh towards the end of the year (PS4 Slim Ultra/ PS4 Pro Ultra).

Top Bottom