• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony cut's it PS5 forecast drastically from 14.8 million PS5's to 11.5 million by March 2022

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
It's insane that the most in demand console at this time is truly a victim of circumstance with the ongoing chip shortages that may last a very long time and potentially set it behind the competition until the shortages end. This generation is going to look completely different that it would have otherwise and publisher's will have to extend cross gen indefinitely.

MS and Nintendo are truly fortunate that the Series S and Switch are less resource hungry at the supply lines, but the Series X will also going to be a victim of a similar set of circumstances even though the Series S is helping it break Xbox sales records. What a bizarre timeline!

Last edited:

Elios83

Things will get better eventually.
Sony is already building new fabs with TSMC for example.
Also once Apple, Samsung, AMD and the other big companies shift all their production to 4-5nm there will be more allocation available in the 7nm lines or if they shrink their chips to 5nm as well with the same wafer allocation they're going to get more chips.
The decision to use a smaller chip with 36CUs is actually helping.
Sony might decide to sell both 5nm and 7nm models instead of shifting all production to 5nm.

Also Sony yesterday stated that they're not changing their goal to ship 22.6m units in the year from April 2022 to March 2023 which would be their record.
So even if they won't be able to reach that lofty target the trend will be much more consoles compared to last year.

Last edited:
a01fa31f-0e31-4f99-9d3d-56fa10b6c847_text.gif
6012137a-6542-4f2c-bd69-8bf4220b69c1_text.gif

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This whole generation is in a bad place imo. Series S is going to fly and we are basically going to be set back an entire generation of gaming output. I had hoped it would mean we would at least go back to 60fps performance being the big deal but we will see.

this ain’t gonna let up for years.

tommib

The biggest competition to the PS5 is chip shortage and lack of stock. This will probably dictate next-gen’s race to the top. Contrary to what people think around here, people will buy the console that they can find. Customers will give up.

Elios83

Is this true? I read here yesterday that they cut drastically their goals for the next fiscal year

Chief Financial Officer Hiroki Totoki said the weaker-than-expected PS5 sales were driven by short-term factors and won’t have an impact on the company’s long-term plan during Sony’s post-earnings call. Sony maintained its target for next fiscal year, though the CFO said it expects the supply and logistics crunch to persist in 2022.

“The ongoing chip shortages and logistics confusion will keep affecting PlayStation 5 production, and especially the second half of next fiscal year is hard to foresee,” Totoki said. “But I want to keep the previously-held goal of selling 22.6 million units next year unchanged as cutting it now would lower the motivation of the team.”

T-Cake

Maybe Sony should make a PS5 lite/S that's easier to manufacture.

I partly agree but mostly not - I love that the PS5 versions are all the same inside. Being an S owner, I feel like I'm missing out on XBox by not having all the features - 4K resolution, bigger SSD, etc.

Rudius

This whole generation is in a bad place imo. Series S is going to fly and we are basically going to be set back an entire generation of gaming output. I had hoped it would mean we would at least go back to 60fps performance being the big deal but we will see.

To me the only possible good thing about the weaker Series S is possibly more VR modes on PS5. 60fps games are far easier to port to VR than 30.

Cyberpunkd

Cars, consoles, monitors, TV's, fucking dish washers coffee machines(!), almost everything with electrical components seems to be affected by this chip shortage and I am just so over it.
Boggles my mind how nobody saw this one coming, Covid or not. You cannot ramp up chip production as quickly as demand is growing, it takes years. This would have happened sooner or later.

Hopefully this will actually lead to rethinking some designs for the future.

Roxkis_ii

It's crazy, because Ps5's seem a lot more available this year. A couple friends and I got one for retail this year. Even the second hand ps5 are going for 600ish on some second hand markets like Facebook market place.

SkylineRKR

I partly agree but mostly not - I love that the PS5 versions are all the same inside. Being an S owner, I feel like I'm missing out on XBox by not having all the features - 4K resolution, bigger SSD, etc.

I have a PS5 DE and I use it less than my Series S right now. Do I want an X? Yes, since I returned to MS ecosystem with S and I want to stay. But its not like i'm waiting in line for it. The S gameplay experience is the same. When I'm playing Hitman 3 (I also have on PS5), Rainbow Six or Forza 5 its not like I want the X straight away, they're identical unless you're going to directly compare them instead of actual playing.

The difference so far is mostly resolution, and sometimes no 120hz or RT mode on XSS. But those features don't do it for me on PS5 either. SSD, yeah its pathetic but I have a spare 500gb external and it at least plays all legacy content and even some X|S enhanced games like MCC, Mass Effect and Sea of Thieves. Those 2 things aren't reason enough for me to fork over 500 bucks yet. The IQ of most games on XSS is fine, imo.

Yoboman

Series S is currently collecting dust on a lot of retail shelves. The demand for next gen consoles clearly isn't shifting to it

Elios83

And you imagine that those cloud games run on no hardware? It only means less consoles for the consumers.

Sony will fab the fuck out of the new factory with TSMC when it's ready, and I expect them expanding to that field in the future to rely on themselves.

Making new fabs is the ideal long term goal, but it's going to take 2024 and beyond.
Short term I expect a different approach.

Pre-covid strategy would have been:
Shrink the APU to 5nm, cut manufacturing costs all around with a Slim model, cut the price by 100$ to spur mass market adoption once the core gamers audience has dried.

Post-covid strategy:
Take advantage of huge companies like Apple, nVidia, AMD shifting to 5nm leaving 7nm behind, continue to manufacture 7nm PS5 with a bigger allocation since other companies have moved on from the now outdated proccess.
At the same time shrink to 5nm as well, get an allocation of 5nm production similar to current 7nm.
No Slim model but two PS5 models on the market with different internals one 7nm and the other 5nm. No price cuts because demand is already huge as it is now.

SkylineRKR

And you imagine that those cloud games run on no hardware? It only means less consoles for the consumers.

Sony will fab the fuck out of the new factory with TSMC when it's ready, and I expect them expanding to that field in the future to rely on themselves.

End user doesn't need to go out and buy a 500 bucks device. Which I figure is a roadblock to many. Gaming is huge, but I think there is still lots of untapped market potential they haven't reached yet.

I prefer hardware, but if its such a chore to get, Xcloud works fine right now. There is a way to play if you can't find a new console.

Kerotan

Getting PS5 day-one was the smartest move. Let those "first batch has issues" enjoy their last gen and outdated PC's.
Bro I'm with you there. Any of my friends who took that approach are absolutely devastated now. This gen is going to be a very slow burner and we might not get a ps5 Pro until 2026/7 which by then will be quite a big leap. And that will extend the gen by another 3 to 5 years. You can be guaranteed these console makers don't want the hassle of another console launch anytime soon.

Yoboman

They’re not collecting dust they’re able to replenish the consoles continually with less chips that are a lot easier the manufacture right now.

People see an S on the shelves and think it’s been there since launch fmd 😂
Its a turn of phrase

Obviously they are selling, but they are not selling out. If the demand for Series X and PS5 were resulting in Series S purchases instead we'd be seeing far greater sales for Series S. It would be out there knocking on the door of Switch

Bo_Hazem

Banned
End user doesn't need to go out and buy a 500 bucks device. Which I figure is a roadblock to many. Gaming is huge, but I think there is still lots of untapped market potential they haven't reached yet.

I prefer hardware, but if its such a chore to get, Xcloud works fine right now. There is a way to play if you can't find a new console.

Mate, if you all are playing Starfield, if it's any good, expect to see an outrage here about waiting in queue to be able to play it. No, they just need to release more consoles and to hell with this cloud gaming that only helps certain markets with so much caveats.

Last edited:
It's crazy, because Ps5's seem a lot more available this year. A couple friends and I got one for retail this year. Even the second hand ps5 are going for 600ish on some second hand markets like Facebook market place.
According to StockX price history, the demand has dropped for both PS5 and XSX. They're at €560 or so (UK version).

tommib

Series S isn’t selling out, and at the end of the day this hurts Series X even more than it does PS5. So for the dumb ones, this is hurting growth of both console userbase.
Dumb take. Aren’t the sales for Xbox split between S and X? And have we reached pick delusion to think that because you see the S in stores it’s not selling? They’re able to produce them and replace them in stores. Like much of the tech that sells!

Papacheeks

Banned
Just a heads up for other people, I am pretty sure that the main fab that people are referring to is a larger node size (22nm and 28nm) so very unlikely to have any impact on consoles in the short term.

No but intel has a fab gearing up by end of 2024 using TSMC 2019 7nm node, which is the same one as launch PS5/XBox series. Bu that wont be producing anything until end of 2024 going into 2025.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Series S is currently collecting dust on a lot of retail shelves. The demand for next gen consoles clearly isn't shifting to it
Yet they’ve sold millions and Xbox continues to see growth year on year compared to the other manufacturers.

series S is selling and is getting re supplied thanks to the ability to manufacture it. It’s not just sitting on shelves like you would dream to believe.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Sucks, but expected considering it’s not looking like things will improve any time soon..

reksveks

No but intel has a fab gearing up by end of 2024 using TSMC 2019 7nm node, which is the same one as launch PS5/XBox series. Bu that wont be producing anything until end of 2024 going into 2025.
yeah, that might have an impact in 2025 but too many other q's around it.

Top Bottom