• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony cut's it PS5 forecast drastically from 14.8 million PS5's to 11.5 million by March 2022

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
How far will ps5 be behind PS4 by The end of March with these new numbers? 6 to 7 million?

this could be the make or break year for ps5 console sales. If by the end of the year they are like 10 million behind PS4 that would suck so bad and really affect their numbers.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Dumb take. Aren’t the sales for Xbox split between S and X? And have we reached pick delusion to think that because you see the S in stores it’s not selling? They’re able to produce them and replace them in stores. Like much of the tech that sells!

Selling doesn’t mean selling out, let’s try and keep a baseline for discussion otherwise it’s just gibberish.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Yet they’ve sold millions and Xbox continues to see growth year on year compared to the other manufacturers.

series S is selling and is getting re supplied thanks to the ability to manufacture it. It’s not just sitting on shelves like you would dream to believe.
They are growing from a complete stand still with Xbox One. Not exactly a bragging point

Again if it was such a major factor why are they behind in sales?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
They are growing from a complete stand still with Xbox One. Not exactly a bragging point

Again if it was such a major factor why are they behind in sales?
A complete stand still? It still sold like 50 million units. That’s not absolutely horrendous For an Xbox console that was so tarnished by its power and stupid online DRM fiasco.

if they end up at 70 to 80 million this life cycle they will be onto a serious winner with turning the Xbox brand around.

sony are coming off the huge success of the PS4 and they need to keep that momentum running but they are literally being knee capped thanks to production issues.

Three

A complete stand still? It still sold like 50 million units. That’s not absolutely horrendous For an Xbox console that was so tarnished by its power and stupid online DRM fiasco.
The xbox one wasn't really tarnished by its power. The Xbox Series S is magnitudes weaker than the PS5 yet that's what the majority of Xbox sales are.

xbox one was tarnished by its high price and drm fiasco. Even then I have my doubts because they were corrected fairly early. Most of the difference was more likely the fact that the Kinect audience that bought a 360 and pumped those numbers at the end of its life didn't go on to buy an xbox one. Xbox did xbox numbers in the end and xbox one outsold 360 initially. It just didn't get that kinect boost.

Last edited:

reksveks

How far will ps5 be behind PS4 by The end of March with these new numbers? 6 to 7 million?

this could be the make or break year for ps5 console sales. If by the end of the year they are like 10 million behind PS4 that would suck so bad and really affect their numbers.
I can't find it right now (might have a look later) but I am going to assume that's its closer to a 1m for the relevant q's so think it would be 3-4m (think the current gap is 3m, right?)

Orbital2060

The xbox one wasn't really tarnished by its power. The Xbox Series S is magnitudes weaker than the PS5 yet that's what the majority of Xbox sales are.

xbox one was tarnished by its high price and drm fiasco. Even then I have my doubts because they were corrected fairly early. Most of the difference was more likely the fact that the Kinect audience that bought a 360 and pumped those numbers at the end of its life didn't go on to buy an xbox one. Xbox did xbox numbers in the end and xbox one outsold 360 initially. It just didn't get that kinect boost.
The Series S is not "magnitudes" weaker than the PS5. The differences are purely in terms of resolution and fidelity.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I dont understand how the chip shortage is taking so long? Covid stopped workers for like a month or 2?

The whole industry put all its chips on just on time supply chain, and that went to shit with Covid. Paradoxically people staying at home + new generation of nerds gave the videogame industry a massive boost, and so everyone is fighting for scraps and governments are coming up with incentives for new plants (European Union is big on it now for example). It's bottlenecked, and even cars these days are like fucking cellphones...

New gen consoles are built on 7nm, which all cutting edge products jumped on, so one way it will ease up for consoles is once other tech moves to 5nm and 4nm at the end of the year. You can expect 22 Christmas to be a lot better than 21, and then 23 will start to normalize things into 24.

On the flip side it has pushed a company like Sony to become much more aggressive on their multiplatform strategy, so ironically enough this will end up being good for SIE.

But for console fans who want to buy a PS5 or a SX? Trash. PC gamers who want to buy a new GPU? Trash.

This generation will be the longest one ever.

The Series S is not "magnitudes" weaker than the PS5. The differences are purely in terms of resolution and fidelity.
"Magnitudes" means at least two, which means the Series S is at least 100 times weaker than the PS5.

The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

Last edited:

Three

You can't be serious. What do you think weaker implies then? It's missing raytracing in games, sometimes half the framerate, always much lower resolution. That's what weaker is referring to.

The point is that the differences in power between xbox one and PS4 were much smaller than Series S and PS5. So the reason that people didn't buy the Xbox One probably isn't power related because now they are buying the Xbox Series S which is "magnitudes" weaker than the PS5.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Xbox one was absolutely tarnished by its power and public image of how much better and more powerful the ps4 is for a cheaper price and it let you lend games etc and wasn't trying to be obsessed with TV, TV, TV lol.

By the time got to the xbox one and started rolling out the improvements it was far too buggered.

This gen we literally have a complete different opinion on resolutions etc and the Series s delivering 1080p is fine for the average person who wants to play fifa, madden and cod.

The series s is selling because its a great cheaper alternative to the big boys and its available. It's not trying to compete with the series x or ps5. It's clearly been advertised as a cheaper less powerful box and it's doing it well.

It's a completely different story this gen and one that can not even be compared to any other time in gaming due to the sheer fuck up and uncertainty that covid has brought to the landscape.

Kerotan

Well I know what I'll be doing again this year! I'll be buying another ps5 in the summer and come the holiday season I'll sell my old one with the controllers and headset and just buy new controllers and headset for the same price while unboxing my new ps5 lmao.

Free warranty extension effectively, brand new console and headset / controller's. I wonder for how many years can I pull this shit off.

Three

"Magnitudes" means at least two, which means the Series S is at least 100 times weaker than the PS5.

The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

I don't know what definition of 'magnitude' they are using. I typically use the good 'order of magnitude' definition aka 10x.
Maybe look up the definition of magnitude if you want to be pedantic. Hint: it's not the same as "order of magnitude".

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
Sony will fab the fuck out of the new factory with TSMC when it's ready, and I expect them expanding to that field in the future to rely on themselves.

The graph reveals that Apple is the main source of revenue for the semiconductor manufacturing company, accounting for over 25% of the revenue. No other company even comes close.

tsmc-top-10-customers-list.png

So... it seems Sony will still have to wait a lot for those new PS5 chipsets, as well as Microsoft.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Well I know what I'll be doing again this year! I'll be buying another ps5 in the summer and come the holiday season I'll sell my old one with the controllers and headset and just buy new controllers and headset for the same price while unboxing my new ps5 lmao.

Free warranty extension effectively, brand new console and headset / controller's. I wonder for how many years can I pull this shit off.
Apart from the OG 360 I’ve never had a console die on me, and I use them heavily. Is it really worth the agro of doing this?

kingfey

Banned
Selling doesn’t mean selling out, let’s try and keep a baseline for discussion otherwise it’s just gibberish.
Selling out doesn't mean more stocks.

You sell out of items with low stock. Items with more stock are harder to sell out.

Its simple economic term. Both ps5, and XSX are having stock issues, while the XSS is easier to produce.

if you keep replenishing a product, it means there is demand for it. Or else, MS would focused on XSX.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Many yes, but many as well were "first batch has issues, I'll wait for the second batch", "The games I care about aren't out yet", or "I won't go through the hassle, will buy it when it's on the shelves".
I know what you mean. I swore to myself that I was going to wait because I always have issues with launch hardware. But when it looked like the shortage wasn't going to let up I decided to buy. I haven't bought many of the 2021 games but I'm glad I am able to play them when I'm ready.

Orbital2060

You can't be serious. What do you think weaker implies then? It's missing raytracing in games, sometimes half the framerate, always much lower resolution. That's what weaker is referring to.

The point is that the differences in power between xbox one and PS4 were much smaller than Series S and PS5. So the reason that people didn't buy the Xbox One probably isn't power related because now they are buying the Xbox Series S which is "magnitudes" weaker than the PS5.
Again, its not "magnitudes" weaker than the PS5.

You dont know what that word means, then.

reksveks

Maybe look up the definition of magnitude if you want to be pedantic. Hint: it's not the same as "order of magnitude
I am okay with the other definition of magnitude and you using it but its inherently subjective so I tend to use order of magnitude as magnitude cause it gives me a baseline of difference.

Pagusas

Elden Member
would the chip shortage have still happened if Covid hadn’t happened?

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
No, you don't. you're mixing it up with order of magnitude that you were taught when you were 10.

An order of magnitude is an approximation of the logarithm of a value relative to some contextually understood reference value, usually 10, interpreted as the base of the logarithm and the representative of values of magnitude one.

If you say the Xbox Series S is "orders of magnitude" weaker than the PS5, then you're incorrect, because that would mean it's at least 10 times weaker, which is not.

How does GAF measure console graphics power? using TFLOPS. In that regard, PS5 runs at 9 Teraflops, while the Series S runs at 4 Teraflops. 9>4, but NOT in "orders of magnitude". If anything, it has half the graphical power, while having the same compute power (same CPU).

Orbital2060

No, you don't. you're mixing it up with order of magnitude that you were taught when you were 10.
The Series S has basically the same CPU and SSD as the PS5, and in no way is the word "magnitude" applicable to describe the difference between the two consoles.

The only difference, as in the comparison with the Series X, is the GPU power - which can be seen in terms of resolution and fidelity.

kingfey

Banned

If it can play next gen games, then its not magnitude weaker.
The only way for that to happen, would SSD vs HD.
Storage, not really. Depends on how many games do you play.
Raytracing, that tech is in early form. Just like how 4k was for old gen.
XSS has more 120fps support currently compared to ps5.
Resolution, depends on the user desire.

Unless there is new tech that impacts XSS, it would still hold its ground against XSX and Ps5.

Three

I am okay with the other definition of magnitude and you using it but its inherently subjective so I tend to use order of magnitude as magnitude cause it gives me a baseline of difference.
People are just being pedantic because they felt somebody offended their plastic box so they would rather do that than address the actual point.

"Order of magnitude" is a completely different thing. People interpreting magnitude to mean order of magnitude isn't about subjectivity. It's a wrong interpretation which they can ask to clarify. Not double down on their wrong interpretation by suggesting magnitude only means order of magnitude.

Three

If you say the Xbox Series S is "orders of magnitude" weaker than the PS5, then you're incorrect, because that would mean it's at least 10 times weaker, which is not.

How does GAF measure console graphics power? using TFLOPS. In that regard, PS5 runs at 9 Teraflops, while the Series S runs at 4 Teraflops. 9>4, but NOT in "orders of magnitude". If anything, it has half the graphical power, while having the same compute power (same CPU).
Except NOBODY said "order of magnitude". That's what everybody else who's offended I insulted their plastic box is mixing it up with. magnitude was used in the sense to refer to size and extent. Like the magnitude of a vector. If a magnitude of a vector is 2 it doesn mean in the 100s and a magnitude of one is in the 10s.

Again magnitude /= order of magnitude

There are different definitions

Last edited:

CeeJay

Although somewhat subjective an "order of magnitude" typically means 10X and "orders of magnitude" would typically be 100X, 1000X etc.

No one is arguing that the Series S is weaker, just that your use of the "orders of magnitude" phrasing is total hyperbole. You could say that consoles these days are orders of magnitude more powerful than those from 30 years ago which would be a more accurate use of the term but not the difference between PS5 and Series S. Magnitude is a commonly used term to describe how powerful an earthquake is e.g An earthquake with a magnitude of 9 on the Richter scale. The term is used is this sense because the scale it is measured on is logarithmic. A magnitude 8 earthquake moves 60 billion kg of mass whereas a magnitude 9 earthquake moves 20 trillion kg of mass. So, a 9 is orders of magnitude larger than an 8.

Three

You used "magnitudes", which only makes sense if you mean orders of magnitude, since only those are countable.
No you're wrong again. What is the magnitude of a vector. There are countable measures of magnitude that are not order of magnitude. Stop being a pedantic prick for your plastic box.

reksveks

People are just being pedantic because they felt somebody offended their plastic box so they would rather do that than address the actual point.
I don't care about the box, it's my secondary machine. On the point on whether the X1 was tarnished by the power, I suspect it's more to do with the price and then the network effect of the games at the time. For this gen, If more games enable crossplay then that network effect weaken. the main factor is going to be the games library and whether people are happy to 'basically' lose access to it. I don't know if people do care if they can't play Fifa/Madden 19.

"Order of magnitude" is a completely different thing.
I know that and didn't say it was the same.

People interpreting magnitude to mean order of magnitude isn't about subjectivity. It's a wrong interpretation which they can ask to clarify.
My point is the magnitude as in 'great size of difference' is subjective and so I use the typical 10x from order of magnitude. You are perfectly fine to use 3x as a bit enough difference to say magnitude.

Not double down on their wrong interpretation by suggesting magnitude only means order of magnitude.
It's a good thing that I didn't say that there was only one definition of magnitude

Top Bottom