• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to acquire Kojima Productions

MiguelItUp

It’s a bad game, and no they’re not worth it.
giphy.gif

Far from it. But besides, that's your opinion, which is completely subjective.

Also, unsure why people would think this is so impossible. I mean, Kojima has done a lot with Sony over the years. It's a relationship that has existed for a long time and honestly they've done quite a bit for one another.

This is just a rumor, so take it with a grain of salt. But IMO it doesn't seem like an impossible one. People just love to hate on him and Death Stranding.

ExpandKong

Banned
giphy.gif

Far from it. But besides, that's your opinion, which is completely subjective.

Also, unsure why people would think this is so impossible. I mean, Kojima has done a lot with Sony over the years. It's a relationship that has existed for a long time and honestly they've done quite a bit for one another.

This is just a rumor, so take it with a grain of salt. But IMO it doesn't seem like an impossible one. People just love to hate on him and Death Stranding.

Opinions being subjective by nature doesn’t mean you can just handwave them away when you don’t agree with them.

People keep bringing up Kojima’s Great Relationship with Sony but the fact is the only two games he’s made that have stayed exclusive to Sony’s ecosystem are MGS4 and MGS VR Missions, and I’m not even sure about that last one. Yeah I get that there’s more to a relationship than that, but we as the consumers aren’t really privy to that stuff are we?

However you feel about Death Stranding, you can’t argue that it wasn’t divisive. It’s the first Kojima game in a long time - maybe ever - where the Kojimaness got fully cranked up to 11, and people are realizing that’s maybe not exactly what they want from him.

I'm at work, would you mind looking this up? Microsoft's approach is to let the new devs have full creative freedom. I'm not sure about 343, the coalition and turn 10...but playground games, ninja theory, the initiative and the leadership (Phil) have already said this is the way they are going. I'll get sources later if somehow you can't take my word for it.

EDIT:
Had a second...

microsoft approach is forza halo forza halo

most devs prefer sony and has been because of freedom, name one game in xbox history that is as creative as littlebigplanet?
is almost your been under rock for the last 15 years of gaming, claimin freedom from microsoft lolllllllllllllllll what load of fuckery i read on this forums, sometimes i stop lurking and only comment to backwards like you.

Panaphonics

Banned
microsoft approach was forza halo forza halo

FTFY. It’s not like that anymore.
They acquired tons of studios for all sorts of different games.
What you are describing is the old Microsoft. There is no Don anymore, no Kinect, etc. Can we please stop with this narrative?
We are also not saying PSN Hack, arrogant Sony, „get-a-second Job“- Sony is back

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: LMJ

Woodchipper

Media Molecule is a very special case. Look at Evolution. Look at Studio Liverpool. Look at Studio Manchester. Look at Guerilla Cambridge. Media Molecule is the exception from the rule, not the standard.
Fair point, but I still think Sony gives their studios a lot of freedom, not to mention a lot of time to develop their games. For example, they allowed Guerilla to take their time and make an RPG all of a sudden, and Polyphony released only one GT title this gen, compared to how Microsoft pumps out Forza games more or less every year.

FTFY. It’s not like that anymore.
They acquired tons of studios for all sorts of different games.
What you are describing is the old Microsoft. There is no Don anymore, no Kinect, etc. Can we please stop with this narrative?
We are also not saying PSN Hack, arrogant Sony, „get-a-second Job“- Sony is back

you have not seen anything from the " new microsoft" dont be sorry be better- kratos

Business

Opinions being subjective by nature doesn’t mean you can just handwave them away when you don’t agree with them.

People keep bringing up Kojima’s Great Relationship with Sony but the fact is the only two games he’s made that have stayed exclusive to Sony’s ecosystem are MGS4 and MGS VR Missions, and I’m not even sure about that last one. Yeah I get that there’s more to a relationship than that, but we as the consumers aren’t really privy to that stuff are we?

However you feel about Death Stranding, you can’t argue that it wasn’t divisive. It’s the first Kojima game in a long time - maybe ever - where the Kojimaness got fully cranked up to 11, and people are realizing that’s maybe not exactly what they want from him.

MGS is eminently a PlayStation franchise. Yes the majority of entries have been released years later on other platforms but MGS 1 2 3 and PW were developed and released exclusively on PS consoles, the only one that was released straight away multiplatform is V. DS was also developed and released exclusively on PS, getting a somewhat early multiplatform release on PC almost a year later. So yeah I think people are right to bring up Kojima’s special relationship with Sony, if you don’t see it is because you want to look away.

ExpandKong

Banned
MGS is eminently a PlayStation franchise. Yes the majority of entries have been released years later on other platforms but MGS 1 2 3 and PW were developed and released exclusively on PS consoles, the only one that was released straight away multiplatform is V. DS was also developed and released exclusively on PS, getting a somewhat early multiplatform release on PC almost a year later. So yeah I think people are right to bring up Kojima’s special relationship with Sony, if you don’t see it is because you want to look away.

Why would I want to look away? I’ve got no beef in console wars and I personally think Kojima is past his prime. If it gives you warm fuzzies to count the number of months between MGS2’s initial release and its XBox release then power to you, but that was a long ass time ago.

Ah yes, that old adage that we would be better off if a piece of media didn't exist just because you happened to not like it.

Because screw the people who do like it right?

If you don't like it simply move on and spend time on things you do like.
Yes, let's not criticize things, because the world is better off without so much negativity! Even though I was being rather humorous, and the fact that I'm not the only one who doesn't like Death Stranding or Kojima games, go figure. We also shouldn't blindly praise a game just because it's made by somebody you do like.

I'm usually the one who isn't an Xbox conspiracy theorist, but I genuinely wonder what would have happened if it were Microsoft and not Sony, would people still be praising this glorified Fed Ex walking simulator?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Fair point, but I still think Sony gives their studios a lot of freedom, not to mention a lot of time to develop their games. For example, they allowed Guerilla to take their time and make an RPG all of a sudden, and Polyphony released only one GT title this gen, compared to how Microsoft pumps out Forza games more or less every year.
But they shift. There hasn't been a new Forza Motorsport in two and a half years and the next went into production last summer. It's been 5 years since Halo 5. I agree that Sony gives their teams much more time, but I think Microsoft is now adapting that strategy. It's why they bought so many studios, so they can give each their time. Note how Booty expects a first party game every three months. With 15 studios and at least 20 teams (that we know of) in those studios, we are looking at an average development time of 5 years per game (4 games a year).

GHG

Gold Member
Yes, let's not criticize things, because the world is better off without so much negativity! Even though I was being rather humorous, and the fact that I'm not the only one who doesn't like Death Stranding or Kojima games, go figure. We also shouldn't blindly praise a game just because it's made by somebody you do like.

I'm usually the one who isn't an Xbox conspiracy theorist, but I genuinely wonder what would have happened if it were Microsoft and not Sony, would people still be praising this glorified Fed Ex walking simulator?

You can criticise all you want. There's a huge difference between criticising something and saying "it shouldn't exist because I don't like it".

Last edited:

bRacing

Banned

most devs prefer sony and has been because of freedom, name one game in xbox history that is as creative as littlebigplanet?
is almost your been under rock for the last 15 years of gaming, claimin freedom from microsoft lolllllllllllllllll what load of fuckery i read on this forums, sometimes i stop lurking and only comment to backwards like you.
You can spot the smart ones by their inability to use caps.

Business

Why would I want to look away? I’ve got no beef in console wars and I personally think Kojima is past his prime. If it gives you warm fuzzies to count the number of months between MGS2’s initial release and its XBox release then power to you, but that was a long ass time ago.

My point was solely relating to Kojima having a special relationship with Sony, which I think it's an easy enough fact to see and it seemed to me you were trying to downplay by claiming just two games of the MGS franchise stayed exclusive to PS. Why would you try to do that it's not a question for me but for yourself. The console wars and warm fuzzies part of your post is totally out of place, maybe you yourself are into this stuff more than you like to admit.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Haha, I was curious to see if I would get a response like that. Kudos. Also, of course! But really, all the toxicity towards people that enjoyed the game for months was beyond annoying. Folks that didn't like it were generally incredibly negative to those that did. Got old incredibly fast.

Very true! But I feel with their initial launch being on the Sony platforms has some form of merit, y'know? I could be horribly wrong, but we'll see I suppose.

Most certainly! Death Stranding was one of the most divisive games that I can remember. I know Kojima even said he expected that, but it was his personal goal to get it out there. I honestly think that Kojima can do more that is widely appreciated if he has someone there to guide him, haha. Without that, it's apparent he goes off the rails and that's when he starts creating a divided group. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

LMJ

Actually the argument is Halo, Gears, Forza rinse repeat lol.

Mind you that argument ignores, Recore, Quantam Break, Sea of Thieves, the zombie game I can never remember the name of, that weird exclusive Squirrel game, Sunset Overdrive, the Rare collection, Ori, Cuphead, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct etc etc...

The REAL argument to be made is MS hasn't been able to build a franchise fav like Halo, Gears and Forza, but to their credit they're trying and have been most of this gen (really kicking into high gear last few years)

Chill with the animosity friend, MS has stepped up thier game in courting devs this gen and it sounds like they're allowinga great deal of freedom to boot, and it shouldn't be discounted

I also would argue that Cuphead (I am aware is also on Switch, P.C) is an exclusive that's pretty darn creative right up there with LBP (some would say using a "creation" came in a creativity battle is cheating) :p

This post ignores reality.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

giphy.gif

LordKasual

Banned
IF i've learned nothing from the last few years of Kojima-handled games.....Kojima's influence is something that has very steep diminishing returns. The deeper his needs and wants reach into a game, the worse off they become.

Maybe i'm being revisionist, but i'm starting to believe that the real heroes of Metal Gear Solid and Kojima's legacy are actually the designers and programmers that he's had the pleasure of working with all these years.

MGS5 was nothing if not a glorified tech demo (certainly wasn't an MGS game) and Death Stranding looks more like the perfection of something from the early PS3/Xbone era of story games, when game studios were desperately trying to have "deep" and "realistic" story experiences.....and we all know how much Kojima loves to be cinema.

Last edited:
Never played Death Stranding, don't know if they are worth the money.
It's an amazing game. And my GOTY 2019.
Even if you hate the game it's undeniable that Kojima is a creative powerhouse.

Ubisoft should've hired him. Their games are completely devoid of any personality. Ubisoft needs someone with creativity and vision like Kojima.

Last edited:
Sony will buy a studio with a man who peaked years ago, who only ended up with some of his best work after internal conflicts at his original company managed to work around him. A man after he was fired, formed a poorly managed studios, which released a game that sold like rotten eggs?

Cato

Banned
Good.
Now sony just need to buy the rights to Metal Gear and Silent Hill from Konami.
Make it a deal where Konami retains a world wide exclusive right to use these IP in Pachinko Machines.

It is a win win for everyone. Konami can continue building pachinko machines (which is the only thing they really care about) and Kojima can make new silent hill and metal gear games.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
Good.
Now sony just need to buy the rights to Metal Gear and Silent Hill from Konami.
Make it a deal where Konami retains a world wide exclusive right to use these IP in Pachinko Machines.

It is a win win for everyone. Konami can continue building pachinko machines (which is the only thing they really care about) and Kojima can make new silent hill and metal gear games.

Does anyone think Kojima wants to make new Metal Gear games though?

Top Bottom