• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to acquire Kojima Productions

So most likely no future releases from Kojima on PC. Can't say I'm too happy about it. I will get PS5 day one regardless but much rather prefer playing on more powerful hardware.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
it seemed about to happen anyway after Death Stranding. It's a good purchase from Sony.

I just hope the rumor about Silent Hill made by Kojima Productions is fake then, just because i don't want it system exclusive.

Last edited by a moderator:

CAB_Life

I'd usually agree with this but, name me another publisher that would have funded Death Stranding...

C’mon man, I’m sure “demon-baby carrying delivery/ stealth sim” is exactly the kind of pitch EA would’ve gobbled up with their thirst for unique games with unproven themes and mechanics.

ExpandKong

Banned
Well either this one’s not true or the one about KP making Silent Hills isn’t true. Silent Hill games haven’t been tied to one platform since the very first one, I don’t see Konami licensing out the name to only release a game on one system.

Then again what do I know.

This shit exists because they did not had money
If they didn't had the money, they didn't needed the money. A lot of people would accept be in the game for free because of Kojima.
But that wasn't the case, and that woman is a known actress in Japan.
About the dialogue, ok, but the acting? Is not that it is "bad", is just that she doesn't talk english. If you tried to talk with that actress in english she would talk like that. It's normal you know? That people have difficulty talking in a language they don't know.

DonF

It would be a great move by Sony. Kojima is a great creator, who develops auteur games, game you will hardly find anywhere else.
He is the kind of talent you want for exclusives. If you want CoD, you can get it everywhere, we know that, even activision knows that, they have like 5 cod studios. But if you want Kojima, you can only get that kinda game from the man himself.

I was hoping Death Stranding would eventually come to Xbone 😨

At least you will be able to play it on pc.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
BOMBA!

It's a common fact that DS didn't sold that great, but if this is true, that means Kojima managed to make just a single title as an independent developer, which is kind of sad giving the cult surrounding him...

But on the other hand, it was absolutely expected that his studio will eventually belong to Sony's 1st party lineup, at at very least work as a 2nd party dev making exclusives for them, given their tens years of relationship, and especially after how they took care of him after Konami departure.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It makes sense for Kojima to sell-up. Running a business is one hell of a lot of additional responsibility when your main gig is directing and producing AAA games.

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens. I would hope Sony would start to invest in PC as well. Microsoft has gained a lot of good will by supporting PC. Considering Death Stranding is already on the way to PC I would hope that trend would continue.

octiny

Banned
Why keep linking that shitty site? 2nd thread using it. It's based off a rumor from over a month ago, hell, even talks about the "early PS5 Feb. reveal"

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Never played Death Stranding, don't know if they are worth the money.
Even if it was never announced that this was a Kojima game, all of the quirky elements are there. It feels like a Kojima game. Definitely different than most other games that have been released in the last 10 years, but in my opinion, a must-have if you like his Metal Gear games.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Never played Death Stranding, don't know if they are worth the money.

I think that the game is a commercial flop. It had relatively good sales (but still much worse than for example MGS5) in some territories like Japan when it was released but under performed in a lot of countries.

It wasnt event that long in some Top 10 sales lists.

Famitsu reported that they sold just 185,909 in November.

I prefer Witcher 3. Death Stranding is just not for everyone.

Last edited:

magnumpy

this is weird but whatever. It's Sonys money they can buy whatever they want to :lollipop_alien:

so this will be a first party studio now? I suppose MS has been buying studios too so it's nothing new 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Would be good for someone I suppose.

He already makes games exclusive for playstation using a playstation owned engine lol

MiguelItUp

If true, it certainly wouldn't be a bad move, I'd be happy for them. The negativity is just a bunch of haters. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Absolutely loved Death Stranding.

mortal

Gold Member
Would be a bit surprised tbh. I figure after so many years of working under another company, Kojima would value his studio's independence.

Although they do have strong rapport with Sony, so it's not out of the realm of possibilities. I can still see Sony releasing Koji Pro titles on PC even if they become a 1st party studio.

Dodkrake

Banned
I think that the game is a commercial flop. It had relatively good sales (but still much worse than for example MGS5) in some territories like Japan when it was released but under performed in a lot of countries.

It wasnt event that long in some Top 10 sales lists.

Famitsu reported that they sold just 185,909 in November.

I prefer Witcher 3. Death Stranding is just not for everyone.

Totally agree. It is a walking simulator, and what hooked me up was the story and the helping others mentality. Graphically it's beautiful, the gameplay is innovative, but at the end of the day, most people will (rightfully, IMO) find it boring. I completed it in about 1 week, with roughly 80h on the clock, and will likely replay it at some point.

As for the Witcher, does this explain why I find the Witcher bad? To be fair, I don't like RPG's, I can consume Action RPG's in minute doses (or Horizon Zero Dawn <3 )

yurinka

Hip Hop Gamer? I like the guy but I don't think his rumors are very credible.

But wouldn't surprise me if it happens, it would make sense. Kojima seems to be happy working with Sony, and Sony seems to want to buy someone and they always prefer to buy people who have a long tradition of working on 'exclusive' games for them.

Great stuff, this is the kind of developer that makes no sense without proper funding and Sony is more appropriate than Microsoft here.

Woodchipper

BOMBA!

It's a common fact that DS didn't sold that great, but if this is true, that means Kojima managed to make just a single title as an independent developer, which is kind of sad giving the cult surrounding him...
Well, Sony pretty much lets developers go on as if they’re independent anyway. Just look at Media Molecule.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
That would make some sense given prior history and relationship.
It's one less independent studio though.

well he wont be staying long independent if you dont create games that bring in the money you spent on marketing, actors and other stuff.

He will have to close or join Sony. ;)

Top Bottom