• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony to acquire Kojima Productions

Banned
remedy would be a better buy than this

kojima studio is just a one man show, with only one IP salvageable.. if kojima ever leave then it's all end

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Kojima finally got his freedom only to give it back so quickly. Did Death Stranding not sell well enough?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Kojima finally got his freedom only to give it back so quickly. Did Death Stranding not sell well enough?
Or maybe he likes working with Sony, they kept their promises and are guaranteeing him quite a long leash/independence like they have for their other studios and they need to replace Quantic Dreams and KojiPro fits the bill well.
Do remember how closely they work with Guerrilla and how many Guerrilla devs actually worked on Death Stranding already and they share the same code base... then think of who is the boss at SCE WWS and can influence mergers and acquisitions ;).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
remedy would be a better buy than this

kojima studio is just a one man show, with only one IP salvageable.. if kojima ever leave then it's all end

They worked with him onDS already, Guerrilla was working alongside them and sharing the same codebase (learning from each other) for quite a while. If they acquire it is because they know full well how they work and the value that studio culture can bring.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Or maybe he likes working with Sony, they kept their promises and are guaranteeing him quite a long leash/independence like they have for their other studios and they need to replace Quantic Dreams and KojiPro fits the bill well.
Do remember how closely they work with Guerrilla and how many Guerrilla devs actually worked on Death Stranding already and they share the same code base... then think of who is the boss at SCE WWS and can influence mergers and acquisitions ;).
I suppose it's possible. I just hope Sony takes the same approach that Microsoft is with their newly acquired Devs. Just let Kojima make whatever he wants.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I suppose it's possible. I just hope Sony takes the same approach that Microsoft is with their newly acquired Devs. Just let Kojima make whatever he wants.
Looking at the past you could have been worried about MS acquisitions, what is the evidence of SIE Studios not being given freedom? Look at MM, look at ND, look at SP, etc...

GHG

Gold Member

What approach is that?

We haven't seen anything from their new acquisitions yet to be able to say anything about that yet.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
What approach is that?

We haven't seen anything from their new acquisitions yet to be able to say anything about that yet.
I'm at work, would you mind looking this up? Microsoft's approach is to let the new devs have full creative freedom. I'm not sure about 343, the coalition and turn 10...but playground games, ninja theory, the initiative and the leadership (Phil) have already said this is the way they are going. I'll get sources later if somehow you can't take my word for it.

EDIT:
Had a second...

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I'm at work, would you mind looking this up? Microsoft's approach is to let the new devs have full creative freedom. I'm not sure about 343, the coalition and turn 10...but playground games, ninja theory, the initiative and the leadership (Phil) have already said this is the way they are going. I'll get sources later if somehow you can't take my word for it.

EDIT:
Had a second...

The reality is that it remains to be seen whether this is just lip service or will actually result in any interesting and/or experimental games. There are plenty more real and concrete reasons to be sceptical regarding this, it's a "believe it when I see it" scenario.

Which is why I found it strange for you to even bring that up when Sony have a track record of giving a lot of their devs creative freedom, and more importantly, time and money to create. Games like Dreams, Concrete Genie, Tearaway, Gravity Rush and even Death Stranding.

The example to use in this case is Sony, not Microsoft.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Never played Death Stranding, don't know if they are worth the money.
Kojima is. Yes. This makes a bunch of sense if I'm being honest. I don't know about purchasing Silent Hill from Konami though. I ain't with that.

Last edited:
I mean let's be honest the only reason kojima games ended up on any other machine besides sonys is because of konami.

This is a perfect match and makes to much sense.

The game has its ups and downs, and that character definitely had the downs.

But it isn't even just that character, even the Metal Gear Solid games had these corny ass characters with ridiculous dialogue that seemed to be trying so hard to be cool and smart but came off so cringe inducing. Unless I'm missing the point and that is what he is going for? I don't even know anymore.

Vawn

Banned
This is exactly what I expect. Big AAA developers are going with PlayStation where people pay full price for premium experiences.

Microsoft take a bunch of little guys or AA teams to pad GamePass and the subscription services.

Do you want to pay theater ticket and snack prices to see the summer blockbuster when it releases or just stay at home in your pajamas to watch made-for-TV movies with microwave popcorn? That's the new PS5 vs Xbox.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I think we'd be better off.

Ah yes, that old adage that we would be better off if a piece of media didn't exist just because you happened to not like it.

Because screw the people who do like it right?

If you don't like it simply move on and spend time on things you do like.

PaintTinJr

I'll go ahead and say what a lot of you know is true:

Death Stranding is the most over-rated, over-produced, piece of shit game that has come out in recent memory.

Sony bout to get ripped off.
I loved the game and it is my favourite game of the generation. I think for anyone that has struggled and abandoned the game before getting their bike back. That type of harsh criticism will seem justified IMO – as the opening 20hrs misrepresent the gameplay, and are so heavy in cut-scenes and resource management spreadsheeting, slow fearful trudging, that the great fun, intellectual and action gameplay experience it becomes can’t be seen at all through the prologue.

I tried to showcase Death Stranding to my seasoned gaming friends - that don’t have time to tolerate the start of a game - and had to give up after 20minutes of skipping cut-scenes and trying to show them some representative gameplay without success.

The game needs a MGS1-esq training mode to prep the less forgiving, less patience and less high-brow gamer for what is to come and to show them quickly how they will express themselves in the game by how they play – using simple mechanics and layering them.

I would also ditch the first 20 hours if doing a demo, so a gamer can be in and playing within 30 seconds after doing the training mode.

If Sony does buy the studio, I’d hope support from Playstation would help him avoid the high demand he puts on a gamer to get into his games.

Kenpachii

Hows this company even worth money lol, if there leader leaves thats pretty much the entire company.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member

Death Stranding is the most over-rated, over-produced, piece of shit game that has come out in recent memory.

llANY46.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Would be Kojima's dream.

As soon as he wraps up making the current game, he'll slide his way into their movie studios.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The reality is that it remains to be seen whether this is just lip service or will actually result in any interesting and/or experimental games. There are plenty more real and concrete reasons to be sceptical regarding this, it's a "believe it when I see it" scenario.

Which is why I found it strange for you to even bring that up when Sony have a track record of giving a lot of their devs creative freedom, and more importantly, time and money to create. Games like Dreams, Concrete Genie, Tearaway, Gravity Rush and even Death Stranding.

The example to use in this case is Sony, not Microsoft.
I wasn't aware of how Sony treats its devs. Admittedly, every time I hear somebody talk about their relationships it usually about how they closed some studio. If what you're saying is accurate, which I assume it is, because why lie...then good for KP. I only mention Microsoft acquisitions and proposed relationships because it's the latest anybody has spoken about it. A couple of studios even made video dev blogs talking regarding this. My point is that it's simply been more visible, more recently from Microsoft.

As we know, Sony has been silent for way too long...and they generally don't parade this like it's an accomplishment, although I think they should. EA has been notorious for taking studios and cancelling their projects and shutting down the studio due to creative differences.

EDIT:
How long before sony shuts it down now.? I have 6 years or 2 games.

See...told ya.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member

So what if the next game isn't Death Stranding...it's still Kojima at the helm brah.

He'll probably make a Silent Hill game. Sadly I'm too chicken for horror games, so I wouldn't buy it, but still.

Mass Shift

For me Kojimas games and sony have always been tied together, so dew it sony.

Nahh, stay independent. Remain the flavor of the month, continue to be quirky and whimsical.

If the regime at Sony Interactive ever undergoes a significant change, the odd passion that Kojima has may not be something that is always appreciated by them.

It’s just like from one of my animes.

Hope Kojima is willing to keep making the games he wants to make under this arrangement and secures his own financial future.

Top Bottom