• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT2| Sorry About The Mess...

sol_bad

This video popped up on my recommendations and I have to say I agree with everything that is said.

He seems like a small time YouTube because most of his videos have low view counts. But this video seems to have been pushed hard some how due to algorithms because it has a high view count.

*EDIT*
It's 40 minutes long but he has time stamps if anyone wants to watch it in chunks.

Last edited:

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
This video popped up on my recommendations and I have to say I agree with everything that is said.

He seems like a small time YouTube because most of his videos have low view counts. But this video seems to have been pushed hard some how due to algorithms because it has a high view count.

*EDIT*
It's 40 minutes long but he has time stamps if anyone wants to watch it in chunks.

this video was terrible, his points aren’t strong enough to save the turds that are the new movies. This is low effort stuff imo.

sol_bad

this video was terrible, his points aren’t strong enough to save the turds that are the new movies. This is low effort stuff imo.

You disagree, fine. I doubt that any video will change anyone's mind about the sequel trilogy
But low effort? Editing and putting a 40 minute video together is low effort?

Dev1lXYZ

Idk on one hand why would you make fun of a fan for being excited for your product. Thats just bad business.

On the other star wars theory is acting like a bitch. You cried, cool, many grown men cried, but its only natural some people will make fun of you.

Pablo Hildago shouldn’t have publicly made fun of him or anyone. He has a history of it.

ManaByte

EqX4_-vW8AYLrcO

Jethalal

Banned

*EDIT*

I am rewatching the prequels and subsequently the entire series with clone wars and rebels in chronological order.
Prequels, though messy are not all that bad atleast as the 1st time. Saw phantom menace today and realized that these are quite political. Instantly disregarded the argument against TLJ that it is too complex and star wars is meant to be dumb fun.

Hopefully sequels get better on rewatch too though I only dislike TROS tbh. Currently meh about TFA and like TLJ.

Icymanipulator

Gold Member
You disagree, fine. I doubt that any video will change anyone's mind about the sequel trilogy
But low effort? Editing and putting a 40 minute video together is low effort?

just because a video is long does not make it good. The arguments the creator put forward and very weak, poorly thought out, and don’t combat the movies main critiques.

some real meaty criticism, with well thought out points can be found here:

Maulers channel is great and his work on the recent Star Wars movies has been spot on. Strong arguments, well presented.

other good Youtube breakdowns of Star Wars can be found via Jay Exci, Robot Head, & Just Write. So many excellent video essays.

Strong arguments is the most important factor. Not length.

sol_bad

just because a video is long does not make it good. The arguments the creator put forward and very weak, poorly thought out, and don’t combat the movies main critiques.

some real meaty criticism, with well thought out points can be found here:

Maulers channel is great and his work on the recent Star Wars movies has been spot on. Strong arguments, well presented.

other good Youtube breakdowns of Star Wars can be found via Jay Exci, Robot Head, & Just Write. So many excellent video essays.

Strong arguments is the most important factor. Not length.

I've watched Maulers video about TLJ before, at least the first video. It's a lot of nit picking over small things. Something that can easily be done for any film.

Taking over 4 hours to critique a single film is not critiquing, it's nit picking.

Just listen to him whinge about Black Panther, the first 2 minutes alone are insufferable because he is complaining about the Wakandans being a hidden civilisation.

Does Mauler think the original Star Wars trilogy are perfect films? Because they sure aren't. Stormtroopers being defeated by teddy bears is creatively embarrassing on it's own.

I am rewatching the prequels and subsequently the entire series with clone wars and rebels in chronological order.
Prequels, though messy are not all that bad atleast as the 1st time. Saw phantom menace today and realized that these are quite political. Instantly disregarded the argument against TLJ that it is too complex and star wars is meant to be dumb fun.

Hopefully sequels get better on rewatch too though I only dislike TROS tbh. Currently meh about TFA and like TLJ.

I'm going to start a chronological reading/watching of Star Wars soon too. But I'll include the canon books and comics as well.
:)

ManaByte

The Prequels are great if you can watch them and block out the Internet hate that's poisoned the discourse about them since 1999.

Jethalal

Banned
Completed the prequels. I'll give them 7/10 as a whole. I really loved all the themes and directions they took. Lucas did a great job at conceptualizing everything but I wish someone else executed them. On a technical scale, especially the first 2, these are bad in terms of acting, dialogue, overuse of CGI, etc.
But there are much better movies within all the shoddiness. I feel they could have been better than the OT if capable cooks were stirring the pot.
Really liked the Obi wan and Anakin dynamic and friendship,so very excited about the show. Hope hayden acts well in that.
Didn't like Padme at all, she played a huge role in Anakin's transition to dark side. She could have stopped him multiple times.
The turn to dark side should have been shown from the 2nd movie's end, it all felt too quick in the 3rd one.
Hope Mace windu had a bigger role.

Really made me appreciate TLJ more too. Rian was taking it into the right direction. The Sith and Jedi must go to bring balance to the force. With both gone and more focus on the middle inbetween light and dark sides like episode 8, the saga would have ended on a perfect note with power tussle between both sides ended.
The only reason I believe it got such bad reception was that it wasn't the Star Wars, OT might have led you to believe. It was different than what people expected and it diversified the Star wars world a lot.

Looking forward to the OT rewatch.

Dazrael

Completed the prequels. I'll give them 7/10 as a whole. I really loved all the themes and directions they took. Lucas did a great job at conceptualizing everything but I wish someone else executed them. On a technical scale, especially the first 2, these are bad in terms of acting, dialogue, overuse of CGI, etc.
But there are much better movies within all the shoddiness. I feel they could have been better than the OT if capable cooks were stirring the pot.
Really liked the Obi wan and Anakin dynamic and friendship,so very excited about the show. Hope hayden acts well in that.
Didn't like Padme at all, she played a huge role in Anakin's transition to dark side. She could have stopped him multiple times.
The turn to dark side should have been shown from the 2nd movie's end, it all felt too quick in the 3rd one.
Hope Mace windu had a bigger role.

Really made me appreciate TLJ more too. Rian was taking it into the right direction. The Sith and Jedi must go to bring balance to the force. With both gone and more focus on the middle inbetween light and dark sides like episode 8, the saga would have ended on a perfect note with power tussle between both sides ended.
The only reason I believe it got such bad reception was that it wasn't the Star Wars, OT might have led you to believe. It was different than what people expected and it diversified the Star wars world a lot.

Looking forward to the OT rewatch.
Nah TLJ was just poorly executed.

I too thought that TLJ was heading in an interesting direction with the decline of the Jedi and the Sith and the rise of something new. but then Johnson went and reneged right at the last minute. Kylo Ren went back to being a pantomime villain and Rey was as virtuous as ever.

It just proved that Johnson didn’t really have the balls to fully subvert and in the end just made a disappointing fart of a story. It was his fault that TROS turned out as catastrophic as it did.

Last edited:

Jethalal

Banned
Nah TLJ was just poorly executed.

I too thought that TLJ was heading in an interesting direction with the decline of the Jedi and the Sith and the rise of something new. but then Johnson went and reneged right at the last minute. Kylo Ren went back to being a pantomime villain and Rey was as virtuous as ever.

It just proved that Johnson didn’t really have the balls to fully subvert and in the end just made a disappointing fart of a story. It was his fault that TROS turned out as catastrophic as it did.
I don't think he had the total liberty to end the movie with such a solid revelation that Sith and Jedi are over. Then JJ wouldn't have freedom to do what he wanted in 3rd movie.He had set it up though and it was upto JJ to follow through in the last movie. The real fault I believe is of the creative committee making these movies, ideally either Rian or JJ should have made these or atleast there should have been a single plan for these.

ManaByte

there should have been a single plan for these.

Everyone says that, but there has never been a plan for any of the Star Wars trilogies. With the Prequels all George really knew is he had to get Anakin and Obi-Wan to duel over a molten pit. Hell, they had to add the shot of Obi-Wan picking up Anakin's saber because Lucas forgot about Obi-Wan giving it to Luke in ANH.

Jethalal

Banned
Everyone says that, but there has never been a plan for any of the Star Wars trilogies. With the Prequels all George really knew is he had to get Anakin and Obi-Wan to duel over a molten pit. Hell, they had to add the shot of Obi-Wan picking up Anakin's saber because Lucas forgot about Obi-Wan giving it to Luke in ANH.
Yeah but at least it was vision of one man. Not two or more colliding. He has said in interviews that he had outlines and concepts for the movies way back in 80s which ofcourse would have changed but it's not like after TPM someone else say Spielberg came in and tried to improve it but then for the 3rd Lucas comes back and undoes everything Spielberg did .

ManaByte

Yeah but at least it was vision of one man. Not two or more colliding. He has said in interviews that he had outlines and concepts for the movies way back in 80s which ofcourse would have changed but it's not like after TPM someone else say Spielberg came in and tried to improve it but then for the 3rd Lucas comes back and undoes everything Spielberg did .

The Rinzler books proved his interviews saying he had outlines were just marketing lies. There were no outlines. The OT was made up as they went along. Read those books, they’re in the OP.

Jethalal

Banned
The Rinzler books proved his interviews saying he had outlines were just marketing lies. There were no outlines. The OT was made up as they went along. Read those books, they’re in the OP.
Agreed. I'll check them out but my main point was about colliding views. For OT and PT, Lucas was the main creative force and what we got on screen was at least what he wanted and was true to his ideas and consistent even if he changed his mind and added scenes and removed stuff after release.

In ST my problem is that we didn't get a coherent story. It's not just about plan making, if they had made plans prior to ST and 7 had failed, then for 8 they would have tweaked those plans for sure but what we got was 2 different trilogies in one. Rian and Jj, even though they may not admit, had different ideas which showed in their movies. I am sure JJ had more 'basic' stuff planned for Snoke like a mastermind puppeteering Kylo Ren but TLJ threw that out of the window which I personally prefer as I feel JJ would have remade the OT if left to him.

PT feels coherent even if Lucas changed his mind a lot but ST doesn't. If they would have somehow stuck the landing, then I wouldn't be writing all this. I don't care if they didn't have readied up plans if they would have nailed them but they didn't and so I feel it could have helped them.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Agreed. I'll check them out but my main point was about colliding views. For OT and PT, Lucas was the main creative force and what we got on screen was at least what he wanted and was true to his ideas and consistent even if he changed his mind and added scenes and removed stuff after release.

In ST my problem is that we didn't get a coherent story. It's not just about plan making, if they had made plans prior to ST and 7 had failed, then for 8 they would have tweaked those plans for sure but what we got was 2 different trilogies in one. Rian and Jj, even though they may not admit, had different ideas which showed in their movies. I am sure JJ had more 'basic' stuff planned for Snoke like a mastermind puppeteering Kylo Ren but TLJ threw that out of the window which I personally prefer as I feel JJ would have remade the OT if left to him.

PT feels coherent even if Lucas changed his mind a lot but ST doesn't. If they would have somehow stuck the landing, then I wouldn't be writing all this. I don't care if they didn't have readied up plans if they would have nailed them but they didn't and so I feel it could have helped them.

They had a plan for the ST that Lucas came up with. It began with the TLJ version of Luke in VII, him dying in VIII, and then Palpatine back in IX. JJ Abrams threw out those outlines to remake ANH.

Jethalal

Banned
They had a plan for the ST that Lucas came up with. It began with the TLJ version of Luke in VII, him dying in VIII, and then Palpatine back in IX. JJ Abrams threw out those outlines to remake ANH.
I think that could've worked but alas JJ did the laundry.

Even if they fully remade OT, few fans may have been happy but at the moment no one is due to the disjointed Frankenstein we have.

Dazrael

I don't think he had the total liberty to end the movie with such a solid revelation that Sith and Jedi are over. Then JJ wouldn't have freedom to do what he wanted in 3rd movie.He had set it up though and it was upto JJ to follow through in the last movie. The real fault I believe is of the creative committee making these movies, ideally either Rian or JJ should have made these or atleast there should have been a single plan for these.
He was given creative freedom from what I could see, that’s what the problem with the film was. He promised upheaval but in the end delivered memberberries, with a story that went down a dead end. It’s a shame too as it was going down an interesting path.

After watching the finale to The Mandalorian it stands out that the high points of Star Wars fandom always calls back to the OT. No doubt it was amazing to see a Luke in his prime but it says a lot creatively when, after all this time, we still haven’t got over Luke Skywalker. Just plop Luke in the story and it’ll be an easy sell to the fans. Maybe Johnson wanted to try something different but if he wasn’t allowed to then why green light such a disjointed film?

It is as I always say, for such a universe of possible stories to be had it’s amazing how creatively bankrupt the franchise is.

Dazrael

TLJ is set 35 years after ROTJ. Mando is set 5 years after. Some people don't grasp the passage of time.
That’s the difficulty with writing for such an iconic character, you have to treat their legacy with respect but in turn that stifles them. It’s the problem that Michael Arndt faced when trying to introduce Luke into TFA, he claimed that Luke’s character was so overwhelming that he exorcised him from the film to allow the new characters to breathe. If that was the case then either make the new trilogy with just the established characters or take them out completely.

Disney wanted something new but also hedged their bets on people wanting to see the legacy characters. Trying to write them as characters who continue to struggle after their victory didn’t sit right with people, and this stifles creativity.

ManaByte

Michael Arndt faced when trying to introduce Luke into TFA

Arndt's script was a "Prequel apology tour" that would've pissed off people more than TLJ. It was about the characters who became Rey, Finn, and Poe hiring a group of mercenaries to find Luke while trashing the Prequels and Clone Wars for two hours.

Dazrael

Arndt's script was a "Prequel apology tour" that would've pissed off people more than TLJ. It was about the characters who became Rey, Finn, and Poe hiring a group of mercenaries to find Luke while trashing the Prequels and Clone Wars for two hours.
Sounds about right for Star Wars.

ManaByte

They might be abandoning the timeline idea for Batuu in Galaxy's Edge and instead have the land be a mixture of different eras so Mando, The Child, and Ahsoka can walk around the land:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
13 hours into KOTOR so far. Having a good time, dated combat aside.

- Taris made for a fantastic introductory area despite all the backtracking. Its easy to see how this would become the template of sorts for Mass Effect 1's Citadel. I even kind of liked the sewer level, which thankfully wasn't too long.
- There is an extreme amount of dialogue in this. I feel some of it could've been cut down, because characters have a tendency to repeat themselves. But its still admirable how much they not only wrote but voice acted for each conversation.
- Chose Jedi Guardian as my class. Hitting things with a lightsaber seems to be the most efficient way to deal with foes, although grenades still pack a punch at this point in the game. Blasters seem hilariously weak, and new blasters cost thousands of credits. I'm probably missing something.
- Pazaak is no Triple Triad but its quite the fun deviation. And seemingly the best way to make a lot of money/lose a lot of money.
- The crew are fun to have around, lots of banter and distinct personalities. Again, its easy to see how this dev team would go on to have the likes of Garrus, Tali, e.t.c.

ManaByte

The High Republic launches this week.

Mid-grade (Young young adult) book and the first comic is out tomorrow and Wednesday. First novel is next Friday.

sol_bad

Mid-grade (Young young adult) book and the first comic is out tomorrow and Wednesday. First novel is next Friday.

I like the designs I'm seeing in that trailer.
Does anyone know if the IDW books are canon? I'd assume they are?
And Charles Soule is writing a novel?

sol_bad

Finally we're getting the Star Wars Universe that the fans have been demanding:

SoyWars.jpg

So what are you complaining about in this picture?

*EDIT*
OH
You follow ComicArtistPro Secrets, yet another whiny Youtuber who lives off drama about SJWs.

Last edited:

sol_bad

But... you’re in here promoting it on a website that seems to be mostly men in their 20s and 30s. Kind of odd.

If you would do a single iota of research you would know that The High Republic spans everything from books aimed at kids to YA novels to comics to books aimed at older audiences. You picked a piece of art work aimed at a young audience. And your complaining about that piece of art work because?

ManaByte

If you would do a single iota of research you would know that The High Republic spans everything from books aimed at kids to YA novels to comics to books aimed at older audiences. You picked a piece of art work aimed at a young audience. And your complaining about that piece of art work because?

Yup.

And I thought Soule's book comes out next week. It's out tomorrow.

51YLglBrj4L.jpg

Jethalal

Banned
Been reading the Vader 2017 comics. Pretty fun, didn't like the way Vader got his Kyber crystal from a nobody.

ManaByte

High Republic is good so far. Does a better job of making 200 years before the Prequels seem old than BioWare did with 5000 years before. Bacta isn’t even widely available in the Galaxy yet.

oagboghi2

So what are you complaining about in this picture?

*EDIT*
OH
You follow ComicArtistPro Secrets, yet another whiny Youtuber who lives off drama about SJWs.
SJW whining about a youtuber who bashed SJW.

The war never ends

That has never been the argument against TLJ

Calcium

Banned

"For control of the Force itself."

What the fuck are they doing? Disney have lost their god damn minds. The High Republic stuff looks legitimately terrible. It's like they hired a bunch of people off Tumblr or Deviantart that don't care or know anything about Star Wars.

This should have been another Shadows of the Empire, but this is just fucking pathetic.

ManaByte

"For control of the Force itself."

What the fuck are they doing? Disney have lost their god damn minds. The High Republic stuff looks legitimately terrible. It's like they hired a bunch of people off Tumblr or Deviantart that don't care or know anything about Star Wars.

This should have been another Shadows of the Empire, but this is just fucking pathetic.

It's a better Old Republic so far than BioWare's. It seems a lot closer to Dawn of the Jedi from Dark Horse than the BioWare games that almost looked more advanced than moves set 5000 years later.

The HR sabers look closer to the Dawn of the Jedi than SWTOR:
Squadrons.jpg

Last edited:

Calcium

Banned
It's a better Old Republic so far than BioWare's. It seems a lot closer to Dawn of the Jedi from Dark Horse than the BioWare games that almost looked more advanced than moves set 5000 years later.

The HR sabers look closer to the Dawn of the Jedi than SWTOR:

I'm sorry, but no. The Old Republic, at least at first glances, is way better than this shit because it looks like Star Wars. The shit they've released for High Republic so far doesn't. At all. Take the lightsabers out of their hands and it isn't recognizable as Star Wars.
SoyWars.jpg

That shit doesn't look like Star Wars. It looks like generic Sci-Fi garbage without the recognition factor of a lightsaber.

ManaByte

I'm sorry, but no. The Old Republic, at least at first glances, is way better than this shit because it looks like Star Wars. The shit they've released for High Republic so far doesn't. At all. Take the lightsabers out of their hands and it isn't recognizable as Star Wars.
SoyWars.jpg

That shit doesn't look like Star Wars. It looks like generic Sci-Fi garbage without the recognition factor of a lightsaber.

Nice job continually posting an image from a kid's book.

Top Bottom