• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Early Access thread | See That Standard Edition Over There? You Can Upgrade It.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 24 hours with this it’s been absolutely enjoyable. It almost feels like a Cowboy Bebop simulator, especially with the Freestar Ranger questlines.
Oh I thought it was a mortgage loan and then you paid it back 5k credits per week?/month?
Assuming we’re talking about the perk house: the options are to pay in a lump sum at any time, or foreclose the property (the Galbank guy’s dialogue of the mortgage contract is actually pretty funny).

Last edited:

GymWolf

How the fuck do i expell contraband stuff from my ship?

I can't move because if i enter a system they scan me but i don't see an option to throw off the ship the contraband stuff i have.

Last edited:

TrueGrime

Anyone just caught in explorer mode?

I am still on fucking Jemison just going to different areas on the planet and finding all sorts of structures, habs, and civilian outposts. I sound like a broken record saying it, but no other game has given me the feeling of wanting to just explore what I can find. Exploration was pointless in NMS and endless barren vistas with having to go through space+atmos flight every time to you want to land just makes this experience a shit ton better in SF.

SJRB

Gold Member
Decked out my ship a bit more

4BIshUh.jpg

Added a larger front loader, fancy new cockpit, infirmary and workshop so I always have those workbenches; stronger guns and even some windows!

Another 40k credits gone lol, and there's still so much I want to change/build; I should probably just stop until I get the class C certification and starship builder skills for fancier parts.

How do you do this?

I'm so confused about the ship building, where do you get new parts and modules?

Desless1

Other thing is instead of going to the star map to jump for a mission; center the mission marker in the HUD, hit LB for scanner mode then target with A (like you would a ship), then hold X, for travel. No menu involved.
Haha played for a long time until I figured this one out!

What a game from Bethesda. It's awesome. But yeah, this will get many hours from my side.

DonJorginho

Banned
Can't really put my thoughts completely out there without spoiling it, but journalists MASSIVELY overhyped NG+ for this game, it's not some revolutionary thing, not so far anyway, might go back to my save file before *the ending* to get my cool character back, I'm literally poor with no credits or any of my old equipment lmaooo

Still a fun time though, I would say it's definitely an 8.5/10

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Question: I was on the moon and some pirates landed near me to attack me so I sprinted over and tossed a grenade in just as the ramp was lowering and killed then all. I tried to enter the ship and take it, but it wouldn’t allow me into the hatch. Is their something I’m missing, or can I only take ships in space combat?

DonJorginho

Banned
Mild gameplay spoilers within the article, but I totally agree with Paul here and would avoid NG+ and instead max out your current play through, it's really not worth the reset.

Last edited:

DR3AM

I'm going to play the campaign first, are there clear indicators on the map on where I need to go and do?

clarky

Banned
I'm going to play the campaign first, are there clear indicators on the map on where I need to go and do?
There's a map?

Seriously, there are quest markers telling you the way. There is star map but nothing else that's useful as far as I'm aware.

Last edited:

Barakov

And this is why you invest in crafting perks.

195 physical + corrosive damage + suppressor + x 2.5 damage from stealth (maxed out as well).

Yeah, I'm a walking terminator (playing on very hard).

gQDUkSh.jpg
I got the lawgiver last night and it felt pretty powerful. Glad to see it's even more of a beast when upgraded.

10 hours in and I no longer fear HeatLeeches but them jumping out at you when you're creeping through a base still gives me a few brown stains in my undies.

This game, this fucking game man! The one and only game except Microsoft FligtSim 2020 that will most likely never be deleted from my HD.

Yep. I stumbled upon a safe house but there was nothing safe about it with a huge hole in the wall at one end of the corridor that led into what looked like a cave and a couple of dead corpses strewn about. NOPE'd the fuck outta there after hearing some stomping and roaring sounds coming from the cave entrance.

1*8xraf6eyaXh-myNXOXkqLA.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm about ten hours in. I decided to check out some of the notes in my inventory to see what some of those missions are about. A couple ended up being pretty lame but the last one I did...WOW. I cleared out a pretty big base and got a legendary rifle that randomly switches to explosive rounds, a legendary suit/helmet/and boost pack. +40 carry weight, 10% chance to disarm enemies that get too close, -15% phys and human damage. I was also given a ship worth 120k. This is so OP. I'm only level 12.

Some of the random landmarks have been a waste of time, but I will definitely be checking all of my notes from now on.

salva

I think one way to 'improve' the seemliness of space flight <--> planet is fancy load screens like in the star wars outlaws trailer & adding in a supercruise ala elite dangerous. Would be awesome if Bethesda could add this, but I'm hopeful mods in the near future can... It wouldn't change everything else, so not being able to seemlessly land anywhere... but I think this would remove the reliance on the menu and avoid the cuts to a black screen or load screen to feel like you're still in your ship.

For eg:

In space: You can super cruise within the system and fly around planets. Make it like 1-2 minutes to get to each planet.

Planet orbit to surface: You choose a landing zone. Camera goes into a fixed FPV as you descend... If the planet has an atmosphere, you can't see out the cockpit it's just a burning atmosphere which replaces the current load screen. A planet without an atmosphere could just be a wind/air effect rushing over the cockpit that masks the loading. It then plays the current landing animation. Then do the reverse for this when going back into space.

When going system to system, they should just do what they currently do, but instead of fading to black after you make a jump... The grav drive effect should last a few seconds longer to hide the load. Seems weird they didn't do that from the get go!

The more side questing I do, the more amazed I am. I did a quest today that felt like Dead Space with a mix of Resident Evil but in FPS view. The exploration within buildings themselves is great. Yeah, it may not seem like a true open world, but how do you really do an open world for a space game? It's not a very easy task, I think Bethesda handled it as good as they could with the tech limitations that we have today. The carefully handmade side quests are just mindblowing. And coming across random events that introduce new characters is great.

Also, the voice acting is incredible and consistent. Not a single character sounds dumb or derpy or someone who doesn't fit their personality and looks.

This is starting to become my GOTY with every hour spent.

Last edited:

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Only played a few hours... the game definitely needs better guidance.... a lot of times I need to do a google search to figure out a few things.

Wpx

Neo Member
Can you edit the pc gamepass version just as much as you can the steam version? I’ve seen conflicting comments on this

AGRacing

Over 10 hours in 2 days. I haven't been interested in a game like this in a LONG time.

I was main questing and found a note on a body that led me off track and boy was it amazing.

- I don't mind at all how the travel works. Once you discover there are multiple ways to skin the same cat in travel that's better.
- Planets do have a barren openess to them but many locations within planets are varied, expansive and dense. So far I haven't needed to traverse large empty space... but in a few instances I have intentionally and have enjoyed it (overhearing a rumor about a treasure , etc)
- Great main quest hook and intrigue. I haven't played a bethesda mainline quest that I've been this interested in. It's fun.
- Dialogue writing is excellent.
- Love the lockpicking.
- Love the combat.
- Surprised that my impression of voice acting is that it is super varied. You don't have the same few guys reading for different NPCs.

One negative is that the music hasn't really grabbed me. It's got a great ambience to it when you're walking around.... but I haven't heads a "skyrim exploration music" theme that I'll hum to myself in 10 years.

Love this game. Absolutely love it. The guy who gave this a 7 is a joyless hipster dufus.

Over 10 hours in 2 days. I haven't been interested in a game like this in a LONG time.

I was main questing and found a note on a body that led me off track and boy was it amazing.

- I don't mind at all how the travel works. Once you discover there are multiple ways to skin the same cat in travel that's better.
- Planets do have a barren openess to them but many locations within planets are varied, expansive and dense. So far I haven't needed to traverse large empty space... but in a few instances I have intentionally and have enjoyed it (overhearing a rumor about a treasure , etc)
- Great main quest hook and intrigue. I haven't played a bethesda mainline quest that I've been this interested in. It's fun.
- Dialogue writing is excellent.
- Love the lockpicking.
- Love the combat.
- Surprised that my impression of voice acting is that it is super varied. You don't have the same few guys reading for different NPCs.

One negative is that the music hasn't really grabbed me. It's got a great ambience to it when you're walking around.... but I haven't heads a "skyrim exploration music" theme that I'll hum to myself in 10 years.

Love this game. Absolutely love it. The guy who gave this a 7 is a joyless hipster dufus.
Agree with every single thing but the music comment. Its S tier. I recommend nice headphones. More soundscapes this time.

Ulysses 31

Hope they'll patch in self shadow in first person mode or some mod will, it's weird like you're some kind of ghost not casting any shadows on anything while your model in 3rd person does. Also more walking footsteps affected by the surface you walk on would make it more immersive too.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
10 hours in and I no longer fear HeatLeeches but them jumping out at you when you're creeping through a base still gives me a few brown stains in my undies.

Yep. I stumbled upon a safe house but there was nothing safe about it with a huge hole in the wall at one end of the corridor that led into what looked like a cave and a couple of dead corpses strewn about. NOPE'd the fuck outta there after hearing some stomping and roaring sounds coming from the cave entrance.

1*8xraf6eyaXh-myNXOXkqLA.jpeg
This is me as well.. dafuq out of here with that kinda shit. I nope out of that quickly!

TheUsual

Gold Member
14 hours playing since this went early access.

Still feel overwhelmed with the sheer scope of everything in the game but it's slowly all coming together.

Received my 1st space magic power. That was something unexpected (I mean they hint at Power in the key bindings and stuff...but this I did not expect)

Part of me wants to take my time, but at the same time want to get to NG+.

All I know is I want to keep playing it when I'm not so Bethesda did good there.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
There's a map?

Seriously, there are quest markers telling you the way. There is star map but nothing else that's useful as far as I'm aware.
If you bring up scanner while walking, it puts arrows on the ground for a bit to help you find your way towards a quest objective. They go away, but just go out of scanner mode and back into it if needed.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Curious about mention of NG+ .

Without spoilers can someone explain how it’ll work ? I’ve been on main story grind primarily. If I finish it, will my progress in other quests etc still be maintained or will it full repeat from scratch ?

What’s the reason to do NG+ instead of just completing a ton of content on main play through ?

I think after the next story mission I’ll focus on other major faction ones instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom