• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Early Access thread | See That Standard Edition Over There? You Can Upgrade It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilau

Gold Member

Gaf rn

1joc8h.jpg

His opinion isn’t really valued here much anymore.

clarky

Banned
If you bring up scanner while walking, it puts arrows on the ground for a bit to help you find your way towards a quest objective. They go away, but just go out of scanner mode and back into it if needed.
Aye, no map though unless you count 4 or 5 icons on a almost blank screen lol.

I like it like this though. You get somewhere new and the activities serve the purpose of showing you around and learning places.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Still very early on, but I am not feeling the shooting or the gameplay loop. Gunplay is decent, but nothing amazing. I truly miss the more unique Fallout 4 weapons you could craft and the VATS system that frankly shouldve been included here. This feels like CoD more than an RPG. Just a very straight forward shooter so far.

Quick Question, how do I use my jetpack? I have it equipped but no matter what button i press while jumping, nothing happens.

Is there anything i can do about increasing carrying capacity besides upgrading skills? Its been very annoying so far.

twilo99

Has anyone messed with and found the optimal aim sensitivity settings?

One suggestion I have if you are on controller is to avoid 3rd person while in combat.. it’s horrendous.

Not saying that’s what you are doing, but just in case.

I think the game has a problem with the aim assist on controller since it feels alright on mouse and key, although I had to lower the sensitivity quite a bit.

Last edited:

clarky

Banned
Still very early on, but I am not feeling the shooting or the gameplay loop. Gunplay is decent, but nothing amazing. I truly miss the more unique Fallout 4 weapons you could craft and the VATS system that frankly shouldve been included here. This feels like CoD more than an RPG. Just a very straight forward shooter so far.

Quick Question, how do I use my jetpack? I have it equipped but no matter what button i press while jumping, nothing happens.

Is there anything i can do about increasing carrying capacity besides upgrading skills? Its been very annoying so far.
Press jump again for a boost. You'll see a boost bar appear above your health bar. Not sure if you have to unlock the skill first?

Edit: Make sure you have your jet pack equipped sounds stupid but this game explains nothing.

Make sure you dump all your materials in the cargo hold of your ship, same goes for any spare suits or helmets you pick up things get heavy really fast.

You can also give your companions all of your shite to carry. Sarah the mule has become quite the woman.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Finding the enemy AI to be completely underwhelming. Most combat situations play out exactly the same.

There's also not enough variety in the combat itself. Plenty of weapon variety, but how they play is largely the same overall.

Maybe it's better with a stealth character.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I see all your guys photos in third person, and I’ve tried and tried, but I just can’t get it to feel right. Maybe it works better with a mouse.

Last edited:
The crafting stations are “cute” but useless. My inventory is always full but never includes the things I need for crafting stuff or upgrading weapons, suits, helmets. Ive made a couple of heath packs and a bandage that heals for 5 points. Didn’t even move the health bar I think I would need 120 of those bandages to get a decent heal.

DeaDPo0L84

Game has a lot of issues, some really annoying, but the positives outweigh them which is why I still have fun playing. It feels like it's a bit at odds with itself when it comes to whether it wants to be sim or casual. For instance I need to jump to another system and I don't have enough juice to make it, okay fine makes sense. But I can just go to the one right before it, then right back into the menu and get to where I was trying to go.

On the flipside though sometimes I can fast travel on foot from a bathroom on one planet to someone's office on another, it doesn't make sense. Hopefully a lot of the menu jumping will somehow get sorted. I get the sense that there was a different vision at one point and it got scrapped and they tried to just piece something functional together.

Spent all night just cataloging Jemison. 1 planet with life is just a giant undertaking. Makes me want to go back to a rock planet.

Fully maxed out Stealth kills on level 4. Its improved for sure. Large damage boost with suppressed weapons. I just dropped 4 guys clustered together in 3 seconds.

The wilderness in the daytime has some really interesting colors. Totally 70s sci fi vibes.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

I see all your guys photos in third person, and I’ve tried and tried, but I just can’t get it to feel right. Maybe it works better with a mouse.
I usually play 1st in Bethesda games cause the 3rd person feels like an afterthought, but this time around it feels really good. So I'll do any fighting in 3rd but town stuff I'll do 1st cause it's easier to tell what I'm interacting with. Also yes m+kb feel really good in 3rd person, jetpack and shotgun are my go to combo at the moment.

Sleepwalker

So my wife wanted to play and got the upgrade, whats up with quest markers being broken? Shes mean to find someone in cydonia yet after landing the game keeps pointing her back to the ship.

And wow these menus have been a lot of trouble for her lol

clarky

Banned
Man, this Imogene bird on Neon sure likes a bit or corporate espionage and keeping me busy. Been doing her dirty work all night lol.

Last edited:
Game has a lot of issues, some really annoying, but the positives outweigh them which is why I still have fun playing. It feels like it's a bit at odds with itself when it comes to whether it wants to be sim or casual. For instance I need to jump to another system and I don't have enough juice to make it, okay fine makes sense. But I can just go to the one right before it, then right back into the menu and get to where I was trying to go.

On the flipside though sometimes I can fast travel on foot from a bathroom on one planet to someone's office on another, it doesn't make sense. Hopefully a lot of the menu jumping will somehow get sorted. I get the sense that there was a different vision at one point and it got scrapped and they tried to just piece something functional together.
The fast travel has made the game a series of loading screens for sure.
But
I’m currently in Neon City and every single shop has new assets and graphics after each load. So it’s something new behind every door.

So my wife wanted to play and got the upgrade, whats up with quest markers being broken? Shes mean to find someone in cydonia yet after landing the game keeps pointing her back to the ship.

Same happened to me. Turns out I landed at a spot right next to Cydonia and didn’t actually select the Cydonia landing spot. You’ll know you selected the right spot because you’re immediately placed at the base you’re seeking when you land.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Menus could have benefitted from staying labeled whether you hover over them or not. When she's on the mission did you go to the Mission menu and make sure that quest is active, and maybe try clicking onto to another quest and then back to that one and making sure it's highlighted?

Sleepwalker

Same happened to me. Turns out I landed at a spot right next to Cydonia and didn’t actually select the Cydonia landing spot. You’ll know you selected the right spot because you’re immediately placed at the base you’re seeking when you land.

This was what was happening, she landed just right besides cydonia and wasted like 20 minutes walking around.

Menus could have benefitted from staying labeled whether you hover over them or not. When she's on the mission did you go to the Mission menu and make sure that quest is active, and maybe try clicking onto to another quest and then back to that one and making sure it's highlighted?

For sure.

This also happened, she couldnt find the guy at the bar at all because the mission objective got unselected and there wasn't a pointer.

Thanks guys, ive been playing AC6 on the sofa while she plays this and have had to help her try and make sense of the menus a few times haha. She's a casual gamer and is not used to menus this convoluted.

Hopefully a lot of the menu jumping will somehow get sorted. I get the sense that there was a different vision at one point and it got scrapped and they tried to just piece something functional together.
I believe the cuts become obvious the moment
you find the first temple.

You fight Warframes... I mean DragonStarborn. They even land hunting parties right next to you and you can decimate them but can't access the little Quake portal on their ship's hull. Gravitational anomalies are now generated on every goddamn planet with a temple, right next to mines and artificial meat factories.
Nobody in Constellation mentions any of this and you can't bring it up... It's so disconnected. Six temples later they're still talking about that one ship from ten hours ago. It's like in Oblivion where you close forty gates and everyone keeps talking about Kvatch.
The temples are even more retarded than the Oblivion gates btw. You sprint to Space Minas Morgul, do a stupid dance thing, realise Bethesda can hide loading screens behind cutscenes but don't do it for space travel, and kill the same boss over and over again. Once you get a decent weapon you might as well shift delete his file from the game.

Last edited:

clarky

Banned
Better or worst thens Outerworlds and Cyberpunk? Helllllllp Im stuck insides the game
Better than both by miles, be interesting to see how the new cyberpunk expansion shapes up, I was planning on playing that next but im not sure if ill be done with this anytime soon.

The Variety in the game is insane.

Here's Luxury ship yard I infiltrated earlier tonight:
mSvdg60.png

Spent all night just cataloging Jemison. 1 planet with life is just a giant undertaking. Makes me want to go back to a rock planet.

Fully maxed out Stealth kills on level 4. Its improved for sure. Large damage boost with suppressed weapons. I just dropped 4 guys clustered together in 3 seconds.

The wilderness in the daytime has some really interesting colors. Totally 70s sci fi vibes.

Keep giving us the goods, Miku. I can't play it so much, these days, but I wouldn't mind a summary spoiler by you.

twilo99

Nah, I don’t like it on mouse all that much either.. I think it’s just personal preference, and maybe it’s more situational. I do like how easy it is to switch views tho..

DeaDPo0L84

Worth posting for anyone focusing too much on the main quest

tcC53Q2.jpg
People are free to play a single player game how they see fit, with that said I don't know why people who have been waiting for this game for nearly 8 years would suddenly on the the eve of its release listen to a bunch of strangers telling them to rush through the story for some potentially cool NG+ reveal, bonkers.

Fredrik

People are free to play a single player game how they see fit, with that said I don't know why people who have been waiting for this game for nearly 8 years would suddenly on the the eve of its release listen to a bunch of strangers telling them to rush through the story for some potentially cool NG+ reveal, bonkers.
Yeah but it’s a good reminder to not rush, there was a comment floating about that the game is somehow starting after the main quest.

DeaDPo0L84

I got this variant of this pocket size shotgun called BOOM BOOM. It randomly will switch to explosive rounds which was appealing. Then I noticed I was ranking up the grenade challenges cause when I get a kill when the explosive procs it counts towards it. So now with grenades leveled which gives increased explosive damage, this thing is basically a 20 round grenade launcher. Gonna try and find a higher level one at some point.
Screenshot-2023-09-03-215142.png

DeaDPo0L84

Yeah but it’s a good reminder to not rush, there was a comment floating about that the game is somehow starting after the main quest.
Oh no I agree with you, was just prefacing that there isn't one "right" way to play a single player game. But to what you were speaking towards it's simply nonsense, why anyone again would listen to absolute strangers tell them how to play a game is insane, especially one like this that doesn't come around often. I have 20 hours in and I think I've done maybe 3-4 main story quest and I'm good with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom