• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Showcase Rumored to Be Announced Next Week

Topher

Gold Member
tbh, you don't know all that.

For all we know, those elements you believe are not in the game, are part of its surprise when you experience it yourself. Think about it like this, when we meet some Alien race for the first time in real life, it will be a pretty shocking, world changing event.

If that happens in the game for real, why ruin the surprise by telling you ahead of time? So I for one love how Terminator 2 was marketed, I love how MGS2 was marketed and I love how The Last Of Us 2 was marketed. Gaming and many mediums have this issue of generally never shutting the fuck up and by the time you play the game majority of it isn't a shock or surprise and its hard to convey those ideas.

So I get how you feel about this Mad, maybe it doesn't have Aliens or maybe it does they've done a wonderful job at merely not saying that to allow you to genuinely believe that so you are able to have a real, wonderful surprise that mimics how that might feel in real life for the big reveal.

Food for thought.

I get what you are saying, but they can show something that makes us excited without ruining everything that is in the game. Especially for a new IP. I want to know that the onground gameplay is more than just running around with an assault rifle.

Naw he's good.

It's other Heisenberg that's loopy

To be fair, this is GAF. We are all a little loopy.

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Madflavor

tbh, you don't know all that.

For all we know, those elements you believe are not in the game, are part of its surprise when you experience it yourself. Think about it like this, when we meet some Alien race for the first time in real life, it will be a pretty shocking, world changing event.

If that happens in the game for real, why ruin the surprise by telling you ahead of time? So I for one love how Terminator 2 was marketed, I love how MGS2 was marketed and I love how The Last Of Us 2 was marketed. Gaming and many mediums have this issue of generally never shutting the fuck up and by the time you play the game majority of it isn't a shock or surprise and its hard to convey those ideas.

So I get how you feel about this Mad, maybe it doesn't have Aliens or maybe it does they've done a wonderful job at merely not saying that to allow you to genuinely believe that so you are able to have a real, wonderful surprise that mimics how that might feel in real life for the big reveal.

Food for thought.

I'm not hoping for failure. Would love to be surprised. I'll be giving the game a fair shake either way. It's just my initial impressions haven't been good.

I'm really hoping (and I know this might sound shitty), that they announce this to be Series X and PC. With the Series S version only available for streaming.

Last edited:

Fredrik

No matter what happens, Starfield will be unfairly praised by Xbox fans, unfairly criticised by PlayStation fans and fixed by PC owners.
Lol this is so spot on 😆
And we’re already seeing it before release in the FUD and hype talks. Everybody is so transparent. Why are we like this? Most of us have all platforms anyway. It’s the first new Bethesda RPG in over 20 years, this should be something to celebrate for any core gamer even just slightly interested in role-playing. Sucks that it’s Xbox exclusive to be honest since that has ruined all the deeper talks.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
"according to credible rumors" - Jez Corden.

Is he credible? I think we need to have a rule stipulating that "rumors" have to who it came from in the actual thread title.

Disappointing if that turns out to be the case. Doesn't hold up to "Skyrim in space", imo.

Skyrim gameplay is mostly exploration, finding people. Then deciding whether to aid/oppose them.

I think that's what they mean when they call is Skyrim in space.

Eg there is a sword in Skyrim that gets more powerful if you kill your friends with it. Changes whole dynamics of the game. You complete a couple of quests for someone. Then kill them with it to become powerful

Am thinking it should have options like these, presented in a grounded way. That can change how you play and progress.

I was excited to hear about an Open World Sci-Fi Rpg made by Bethesda, but they made it look as dull as possible. When I think of Starfield I think of White, Gray and Brown. I've been a broken record about this, but all they had to do was mix Skyrim and Mass Effect and they would've had gold. When you look at Fallout and The Elder Scrolls, part of what makes those games fun are it's setting and lore. The setting they seemed to have set up for Starfield so far seems as dull as dishwater. No Galactic Civilization, no diverse set of cool Alien races, just a bunch of running around in an astronaut suit with generic looking guns, shooting at robots and space dinosaurs. Granted we've only seen a piece of the game, but if that last trailer was suppose to be their big reveal and our first impression of it, it looks fucking lame.
I will say my main concern is this “hard scifi” angle they’re talking about - I like the characters they’ve shown though - like the Salvador Dali guy and that group - but I definitely would’ve liked actual alien races and like powers - Star Trek type shit

Lol this is so spot on 😆
And we’re already seeing it before release in the FUD and hype talks. Everybody is so transparent. Why are we like this? Most of us have all platforms anyway. It’s the first new Bethesda RPG in over 20 years, this should be something to celebrate for any core gamer even just slightly interested in role-playing. Sucks that it’s Xbox exclusive to be honest since that has ruined all the deeper talks.
Yeah this is annoying - I wish it was multi platform so there was less of this console war Bullshit attached. Because it definitely has affected the convo.

Topher

Gold Member
I got a feeling its going to be 30 FPS locked

Why? What we saw in the game so far wasn't graphically mindblowing by any stretch.

"according to credible rumors" - Jez Corden.

Is he credible? I think we need to have a rule stipulating that "rumors" have to who it came from in the actual thread title.

In most cases, I roll my eyes at anything Jez Corden says. In this case, this rumor is being corroborated by Andy Robinson. Of course, they could both have the same source. We should know in a few days.

Last edited:
Why? What we saw in the game so far wasn't graphically mindblowing by any stretch.

In most cases, I roll my eyes at anything Jez Corden says. In this case, this rumor is being corroborated by Andy Robinson. Of course, they could both have the same source. We should know in a few days.
It’s definitely going to be thirty - Todd Howard said in that interview that he basically doesn’t think there’s anything wrong with it be 30

mrmustard

Banned
I wish it was multi platform
I wish every game was multi. This console warring shit is so annyoing and tiring. From people who will never play the game we will get something like this:

- Planets are boring
- Not enough biomes
- Gunplay sucks
- No 60 fps
- Last gen graphics

On the other hand we will have some folks over-celebrating the game and ignoring any flaw. Some of them will neither ever play it.

If it was multi we only had the usual XSX vs. PS5 comparison threads where people worship demigod Cerny or praise the 2TF.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
From people who will never play the game
Yep. I'm certain most of the shitposts on here are based on what someone thinks might be happening in a game. If you play and enjoy games, at some point on here you'll see someone saying that a game you really enjoyed and had no technical problems was a dumpster fire that didn't work and was terribly designed. And in their next post they'll celebrate something mediocre that launched exclusively for their platform of choice.

The warring around here is even more baffling when someone mentions that they're a full grown adult in their 30s and is still invested in which console / game / sequel of a game sells most or got more players on steam or which game got the highest (but still low 70s) metacritic score.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I wish every game was multi. This console warring shit is so annyoing and tiring. From people who will never play the game we will get something like this:

- Planets are boring
- Not enough biomes
- Gunplay sucks
- No 60 fps
- Last gen graphics

On the other hand we will have some folks over-celebrating the game and ignoring any flaw. Some of them will neither ever play it.

If it was multi we only had the usual XSX vs. PS5 comparison threads where people worship demi god Cerny or praise the 2TF.

Yeah, but those people are being overly shitty about the game or overly praising it will be easy to spot. It is the same for every first party game. There known Xbox fans in the GoW OT constantly shitting on the game. So yeah, I agree it is annoying, but it is what it is.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
One of these games is 16 years old. One is an upcoming exclsuive

34232.gif

kanlsvewpx891.gif
The top game had some of the worst gun play in FPS history, you just played yourself like a damned fiddle 🎻 😆

What's crazy about the bottom gif when you actually look is how the guy is shot in his leg then his left arm and then his chest and suddenly right arm and he responds to each round hitting him. Pretty damned good animation when you actually look without fanboy warring goggles.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
The top game had some of the worst gun play in FPS history, you just played yourself like a damned fiddle 🎻 😆

What's crazy about the bottom gif when you actually look is how the guy is shot in his leg then his right arm and then his chest and suddenly left arm and he responds to each round hitting him. Pretty damned good animation when you actually look without fanboy warring goggles.
I'm convinced that people who like to make comparisons like this have never played games and probably just watch gameplay on YouTube.

MOTM

Banned
lol be that as it may...I didn't realize just how dated Starfield really looked until this comparison.

Its still a day 1 for me, but it looking dated is a legit claim.
If you needed a 100X zoom of a cherry picked GIF from a Sony troll to realise it looks "dated” then don’t worry, it actually looks great.

L*][*N*K

Banned
I am also obligated to post this too.

I still don't understand the hate Todd Howard gets, I mean come on he exaggerated a little bit here and there but he also made Skyrim why all this hate?, one time a friend of mine told me he was a bank robber and I am pretty sure that video is his ringtone

Last edited:

reksveks

I am okay without the magic/aliens/galactic civilization personally. I rather something have a bit more in the general tone of The Expanse.

I think it's pretty likely Starfield will end in first contact, then maybe expect DLC to be about the new alien life-form.

Stop playing video games. Go to therapy. Meet people. Explore the universe.
I am playing games, meeting people, going to trips, reading books, watching movies and all the fun things. But also if i pay my car insurance i don't give 60$ more to my insurer because he called me in time to renew my contract, i don't give give the gym trainer 60$ because he gave me an advice how to use better a machine and i don't give 60 to buy game that is in Gamepass or PS+ to thank the dev because i have ALREADY thank them with paying my subscription(as someone wrote that he thanks the dev by buying second time the game).

I am none of the above and I buy the premium release of games that are coming to Gamepass when I know I will want all the DLC and show the Devs my love and support which I will do for Starfield and the next Forza just to name a couple.
I do not understand the reason of that action when you have already thanked the devs by paying your subscription but everyone has the right to use their money as they wish.

Lol this is so spot on 😆

Just ignore it. It always happens with exclusives from both sides. We can't even play games without people competing and arguing with eachother. What is wrong with humans?

Bring me fallout in Space and i am good. Fallout was not the most beautiful game made when it got released but i enjoyed playing that game. Gameplay is priority and graphic secondary.

Sucks that it’s Xbox exclusive to be honest since that has ruined all the deeper talks.
Remember when exclusives were welcomed with open arms? It was a chance to push hardware boundaries and bring something unique to each console. A small 'thank you' for owning each console, a 'multiplier' if you will.

Now exclusives are bad, very bad because the spoiled children don't want anyone to have what they don't have, but they do want what nobody else can have, as long as they are the only ones to have it and not anyone else. Or some crazy logic.

Topher

Gold Member
Remember when exclusives were welcomed with open arms? It was a chance to push hardware boundaries and bring something unique to each console. A small 'thank you' for owning each console, a 'multiplier' if you will.

Now exclusives are bad, very bad because the spoiled children don't want anyone to have what they don't have, but they do want what nobody else can have, as long as they are the only ones to have it and not anyone else. Or some crazy logic.

When people talk about exclusives being "bad" they are generally referring to timed exclusives. I don't think anyone thinks God of War or Halo being exclusive (or console exclusive) is a bad thing. Platform owners understandably want to create games specially for their system. That's good because lots of times those games are really special.

But I've seen warriors on all side hold their exclusives and brag about what they have that others don't so that "spoiled children" rhetoric really works both ways.

But I've seen warriors on all side hold their exclusives and brag about what they have that others don't so that "spoiled children" rhetoric really works both ways.
I don't play the both sides game for consoles or platforms or systems. With the exception of a very small percentage of the gaming population, i hate all gamers equally and given the chance I would ban, exile or lock out 95% of modern day gamers from ever gaming again. Or at the very least create a platform they can't access.

Fanboys, trolls, shills, CoD kiddies screaming down the mic, blasting rap, overly-hyped sugar-crazed little shits, soy boys, weed-is-my-life gamers, 'journalists', corporate ball-washers etc etc etc. Ban em all.

Topher

Gold Member
I don't play the both sides game for consoles or platforms or systems. With the exception of a very small percentage of the gaming population, i hate all gamers equally and given the chance I would ban, exile or lock out 95% of modern day gamers from ever gaming again. Or at the very least create a platform they can't access.

Fanboys, trolls, shills, CoD kiddies screaming down the mic, blasting rap, overly-hyped sugar-crazed little shits, soy boys, weed-is-my-life gamers, 'journalists', corporate ball-washers etc etc etc. Ban em all.
Awkward Episode 2 GIF by The Office

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I do not understand the reason of that action when you have already thanked the devs by paying your subscription but everyone has the right to use their money as they wish.
Yeah it may be dumb I just like to think me buying the premium release of the game gives the devs a little more coin in their pocket to make things even better for this game and future titles.

Plus like how the last Forza was we got a few day head start and I recall seeing the leaderboards before official release and there were around 2 million people already playing who had bought the premium package

Give me a 3 day head start in Starfield and I would likely pay $200 for the premium release

skyfall

One is an open world game. One is a linear game. One image above is zoomed in, in game. The other is full screen emulation. Stop embarrassing yourself.

You realise there's a video where the gifs came from right? Anyone can go look and see how bad it is outside of the gifs for themselves. (they are the only gifs i could find , my bad)

Infact, this one is even worse, here ill link it with timestamp, watch few seconds:

The 2 NPCs have absloutly zero reaction to being hit, there's no damage decals at all, the gun has zero recoil/feedbackm and the ai just runs at you lol. Pretending this is good gunplay is embarrassing

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

You realise there's a video where the gifs came from right? Anyone can go look and see how bad it is outside of the gifs for themselves. (they are the only gifs i could find , my bad)

Infact, this one is even worse, here ill link it with timestamp, watch few seconds:

The 2 NPCs have absloutly zero reaction to being hit, there's no damage decals at all, the gun has zero recoil/feedbackm and the ai just runs at you lol. Pretending this is good gunplay is embarrassing

Holy jesus fucking christ, that gameplay and AI.
puke GIF

Fredrik

Yeah this is annoying - I wish it was multi platform so there was less of this console war Bullshit attached. Because it definitely has affected the convo.
Yeah it’s the same every time something new is shown of the game or even just when people are excited about it. FUD FUD FUD.

And the sad part is that if Sony had snapped up exclusivity like rumours said they planned to it would be vice-verse. FUD FUD FUD from Xbox fans, mega hype from PS fans. Zero doubt.

I bet most of the people here have all consoles too which makes it even weirder.
I posted a photo in some other thread about what exclusivity actually means for me personally. It’s this: Using a different controller.
Xh0GCNW.jpg

I have friends who are more mainstream/casual though who are brutally affected by exclusivity. For their sake I wish there was no exclusives. But personally I don’t really care. MS exclusives suits me better though since that means no waiting for a PC version. But I’m not crying when Sony have exclusivity. It is what it is.

Just ignore it. It always happens with exclusives from both sides. We can't even play games without people competing and arguing with eachother. What is wrong with humans?
It’s everywhere, difficult to ignore.

Your second paragraph is spot on but I still think what you describe first happens. Ratchet & Clank managed to dodge most negativity I think, and it’s no doubt highlighting the strengths of the system.
Now that I think about it most 1st party games from 1st party studios not ”stolen” aren’t slammed. People have already accepted that Insomniac’s games are PS exclusives and that Playground’s games are Xbox exclusives.
Wait, Is there no aliens in this game.. confirmed? Just human on human combat?
There is an alien creature shown in the unveil video, looks like something from Starship Troopers, and the concept art show some alien creatures too. But I haven’t seen intelligent humanoid aliens.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
Well, that case, all games should be multiplatform. Halo, God of War, Spider-Man, Forza, etc.

Top Bottom