• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Showcase Rumored to Be Announced Next Week

Pedro Motta

Its the spot devs find themselves in too often

As gamers we demand to see stuff and devs say but the games not ready to be shown

Gamers don't give a shit and say show us anyway

Devs show off something that clearly wasn't ready and gamers are like "wow that really sucks"

Devs are like

Confused Jim Carrey GIF
You do remember the game was supposed to be released last November right? Anyway, devs catering to angry fans request is dumb.

Calverz

You realise there's a video where the gifs came from right? Anyone can go look and see how bad it is outside of the gifs for themselves. (they are the only gifs i could find , my bad)

Infact, this one is even worse, here ill link it with timestamp, watch few seconds:

The 2 NPCs have absloutly zero reaction to being hit, there's no damage decals at all, the gun has zero recoil/feedbackm and the ai just runs at you lol. Pretending this is good gunplay is embarrassing

Where did I praise starfield? I’m talking about the comparison gif above some fanboy posted. Geez

Ozriel

M$FT
Sucks that it’s Xbox exclusive to be honest since that has ruined all the deeper talks.
Yeah this is annoying - I wish it was multi platform so there was less of this console war Bullshit attached. Because it definitely has affected the convo.

All consoles have exclusives. So the problem isn’t with exclusivity but with childish console warring.
No excuse for any of that.

Nobody really thought last Nov was a viable date

most people thought it was a viable date until it got delayed.

Fredrik

All consoles have exclusives. So the problem isn’t with exclusivity but with childish console warring.
No excuse for any of that.
Sure but how do we change how childish people are? Most of us, if not all, have a preference, and it’ll no doubt affect the talks even when it’s not blatant platform warring. What do we do? Ignoring people left and right isn’t really solving anything imo, just means a
different discussion where platform warring isn’t a thing could lack a good poster.

spons

Gold Member
Starfield will either be the greatest console-exclusive Xbox game ever to grace this glorious platform, or it'll be dog shit. I absolutely believe there will not be any middle-ground here. It'll get 9's across the board or it'll be Game Pass fodder averaging in the low 60s.

Shubh_C63

They are gonna pull it off.

Its going to be a mess regardless of that.

Starfield will either be the greatest console-exclusive Xbox game ever to grace this glorious platform, or it'll be dog shit. I absolutely believe there will not be any middle-ground here. It'll get 9's across the board or it'll be Game Pass fodder averaging in the low 60s.
Even FO76 which was dogshit was kept alive by fans. Low 60s won't matter to this game, while high 90s will break some records.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If it gets decent support it will eventually be a great game I am just afraid its going to run a lot of people off with how buggy it will be at launch

Regardless I am putting in a lot of hours into this game

GymWolf

There is a Starship Tropper type of alien 3:10 minutes in here

I haven’t seen anything intelligent alien races yet though, and no space magic either. I hope you’re right though.

Antropomorph animal aliens do nothing for the story telling and they are just boring in general.

There is a reason why witcher quest are so good, because the lore is full choke of creatures, and ghosts and interesting stuff, you don't have the same baron quest if you don't have the touching part of following the ghost of his unborn child (or whatever it was), it would have been just the story of a drunkster having a shit marriage...

I thought tsushima being realistic was great INITIALLY but majority of sidequest were just boring AF, except the ones that had supernatural elements to them.

Imagine skyrim without dragons, magic academy, different races etc, just plain medieval setting.

I can see the hook of realistic scifi ala the expanse (i would not exactly call that one realistic neither tho) but i don't know man, it's bethesda chance to make their mass effect.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Nobody really thought last Nov was a viable date
What do you mean? No one knew anything about Starfield before that showing where they announced the release date. They clearly were ready to launch it by then, they just didn't because of fan backlash on how shit it looked and played.
You know we're talking about Bethesda right? First time I played Skyrim and fought a dragon he was moving in reverse, flying backwards and shit.

Fredrik

Antropomorph animal aliens do nothing for the story telling and they are just boring in general.

There is a reason why witcher quest are so good, because the lore is full choke of creatures, and ghosts and interesting stuff, you don't have the same baron quest if you don't have the touching part of following the ghost of his unborn child (or whatever it was), it would have been just the story of a drunkster having a shit marriage...

I thought tsushima being realistic was great INITIALLY but majority of sidequest were just boring AF, except the ones that had supernatural elements to them.

Imagine skyrim without dragons, magic academy, different races etc, just plain medieval setting.

I can see the hook of realistic scifi ala the expanse (i would not exactly call that one realistic neither tho) but i don't know man, it's bethesda chance to make their mass effect.
Yeah I agree, I’ve been hoping to see some hints of humanoid aliens in this game for a long time, not convinced it’s there though, or maybe they’re just keeping all that as a surprise idk

Well, that case, all games should be multiplatform. Halo, God of War, Spider-Man, Forza, etc.
Ideally yes, look I dunno what I'd do with my xbox if it didn't have Bethesda so on one hand - yeah. It needs to be exclusive to justify the existence.

On the other hand - I think consoles should be more like most other hardware. TV's, PC's etc - nothing is locked to one if they both can play it.

Kvally

Banned
Ideally yes, look I dunno what I'd do with my xbox if it didn't have Bethesda so on one hand - yeah. It needs to be exclusive to justify the existence.

I bought my PS5 for the Gran Turismo's, Uncharted, Spider-Mans, etc. I bought my Xbox for the Halo's, the Forza's, the Starfields, etc. I am not a PC gamer, so I don't care that Uncharted's and Halo's are on PC. I am 100% a console gamer.

On the other hand - I think consoles should be more like most other hardware. TV's, PC's etc - nothing is locked to one if they both can play it.

I could not agree more. I would love to see hardware sold based on its feature set, its quality, design. Give us an Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, Steam Deck, Apple Gaming Device, (insert more) that can play whatever. I am glad my Sony TV lets me watch everything from every manufacturer :) Otherwise, I would only be able to watch the Uncharted Movie and Last of Us TV show on it! No more On Patrol Live via REELZ!!! :(

EDMIX

One is an open world game. One is a linea

What does that have to do with why this game looks so dated? You telling me with open world games, its normal for them to look equal to worse to 16 year old games?

So I don't have anything against the game, I'm fucking buy in day 1, but I believe the idea that it looks dated is very valid. I don't know why telling us its open world suddenly means we should ignore this or something lol I don't even know why you felt saying that would explain this...

So Red Dead Redemption 2 looks worse then games from 16 years ago? I mean shit "oNe iZ da oPenz wOrLdz" lol

You realise there's a video where the gifs came from right? Anyone can go look and see how bad it is outside of the gifs for themselves. (they are the only gifs i could find , my bad)

Infact, this one is even worse, here ill link it with timestamp, watch few seconds:

The 2 NPCs have absloutly zero reaction to being hit, there's no damage decals at all, the gun has zero recoil/feedbackm and the ai just runs at you lol. Pretending this is good gunplay is embarrassing

Keep in mind, I'd fucking argue THIS is more concerning then merely how it looks. As a massive fan of their RPGs, I understand they'll look dated, but I still expect an immersive game. This is one of the few things that really worried me during that gameplay reveal as I can't even say the animations were stiff, they were non-existent while they were getting shot at some points.

So I hope this is just do to them rushing to make a trailer and the final game doesn't look that way.

I bought my PS5 for the Gran Turismo's, Uncharted, Spider-Mans, etc. I bought my Xbox for the Halo's, the Forza's, the Starfields, etc. I am not a PC gamer, so I don't care that Uncharted's and Halo's are on PC. I am 100% a console gamer.

I could not agree more. I would love to see hardware sold based on its feature set, its quality, design. Give us an Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo, Steam Deck, Apple Gaming Device, (insert more) that can play whatever. I am glad my Sony TV lets me watch everything from every manufacturer :) Otherwise, I would only be able to watch the Uncharted Movie and Last of Us TV show on it! No more On Patrol Live via REELZ!!! :(
Well I have a pc but it’s not as powerful as the new consoles - I bought it mainly for half life Alyx, which isn’t on either of them - I mainly use ps5 and Xbox. And I get why Sony has exclusives like LOU etc cus they focus so much on the singular hardware that it I guess benefits the games and how they run? And Xbox you gotta develop for the series s as well…

So maybe there’s be some small downside - but I say leave it to the developers. If they don’t have the inclination to reach a wider audience or they want to focus on one console - go for it. But if it’s just to boost sales of the hardware itself that it’s being kept exclusive - I don’t love that. I’m sure many developers who are locked to one platform would put their games on both if there was no financial incentive to keep it locked to one.

Kvally

Banned
Well I have a pc but it’s not as powerful as the new consoles - I bought it mainly for half life Alyx, which isn’t on either of them - I mainly use ps5 and Xbox. And I get why Sony has exclusives like LOU etc cus they focus so much on the singular hardware that it I guess benefits the games and how they run? And Xbox you gotta develop for the series s as well…
They have to develop for even lower spec PCs. PS and Xbox. I just can't get into PC gaming.

Exactly. I remember the days when games like FF 7, MGS and Tomb Raider 2,3 were reasons to by a PS console, even though they were on the PC and looked better.

What does that have to do with why this game looks so dated? You telling me with open world games, its normal for them to look equal to worse to 16 year old games?

So I don't have anything against the game, I'm fucking buy in day 1, but I believe the idea that it looks dated is very valid. I don't know why telling us its open world suddenly means we should ignore this or something lol I don't even know why you felt saying that would explain this...

So Red Dead Redemption 2 looks worse then games from 16 years ago? I mean shit "oNe iZ da oPenz wOrLdz" lol

Keep in mind, I'd fucking argue THIS is more concerning then merely how it looks. As a massive fan of their RPGs, I understand they'll look dated, but I still expect an immersive game. This is one of the few things that really worried me during that gameplay reveal as I can't even say the animations were stiff, they were non-existent while they were getting shot at some points.

So I hope this is just do to them rushing to make a trailer and the final game doesn't look that way.
Personally I have close to zero faith that the gunplay or AI is going to be very good. Imo their combat has always sucked - as long as it’s not as unplayable as morrowind in that regard I’ll be fine with it - rpgs tend to struggle with this element I’ve noticed

Chukhopops

Yeah I agree, I’ve been hoping to see some hints of humanoid aliens in this game for a long time, not convinced it’s there though, or maybe they’re just keeping all that as a surprise idk
I don’t think there will be humanoid aliens since the whole idea is to have a more grounded SF feel.

There will be some form of precursor race (based on their artifact stuff) but my guess is they will be long extinct.

I still cannot believe people equate the launch state of Bethesda games with CP77. Really shows how beyond poisoned the well is when it comes to this game.

Riky

$MSFT
Only retards and fanboys pay for a game when they have already paid a subscription fees and one week later they will get the game as part of the service they have paid. And only people who suck Phil cock ask to get the "opportunity" to have paid early access to a game that will come to Gamepass.

You obviously have trouble reading, the FH5 deal was buying the season pass and you got early access to the game for that purchase.
So you got more content than what is available with Gamepass, that may be complicated for you to understand but most people will manage fine.

TonyK

Yeah this is the position my buddy is in. He hates Xbox controllers as well - so it kinda sucks
There is an USB wireless receiver that makes dual sense compatible with series X. I have it and it works perfectly (but without haptics and adaptive triggers features, of course).

Kz3 has nice lighting and alot of post processing going on, i bet that upon closer inspection, the actual asset quality in starfield is much higher
Not to mention one being a corridor shooter and one being an open world space simulation where you go to a thousand planets. Why do people like that feel the need to say stupid things like this. You’re correct btw but they’re aren’t even the same kinda of game.

Kz3 has nice lighting and alot of post processing going on, i bet that upon closer inspection, the actual asset quality in starfield is much higher

There's a stark difference in quality.

For this comparison to even be passable, the viewer has to have never actually seen or played Killzone 3 outside of small gifs and has never seen Starfield in HD.

Completely laughable attempt, but hey...jealousy makes people do crazy things.
Crazy things like comparing a dead IP from a genre that Sony's 1st party is currently devoid of to a new IP from another genre that Sonys 1st party is currently devoid of.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Would quickly get tedious, rather get on with playing the game than go through some repetitive limited gameplay like that. It never hurt Destiny.
Nope. Not in a game about exploration. Not tedious in Elite, SC, or NMS. Still fun till this day, especially in VR.

Destiny is a GAAS map-a-thon.

Last edited:
Its not that content is locked to one device or hardware, it's that unique hardware gives unique experiences.

Gaming is like no other entertainment medium and cannot be compared to other forms because of that uniqueness. Exclusives should absolutely exist, if those exclusives were not former 3rd party games and are designed to offer something unique to that particular hardware.

We can look back through gaming history and see how games catered to certain design decision, peripherals or audiences and gave us, as gamers, some truly magic experiences.

I would rather pay to own more/all consoles and be rewarded with the ability to play all exclusives, than only have to buy 1 piece of hardware and have nothing unique to ever be designed again.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Its not that content is locked to one device or hardware, it's that unique hardware gives unique experiences.

Gaming is like no other entertainment medium and cannot be compared to other forms because of that uniqueness. Exclusives should absolutely exist, if those exclusives were not former 3rd party games and are designed to offer something unique to that particular hardware.

We can look back through gaming history and see how games catered to certain design decision, peripherals or audiences and gave us, as gamers, some truly magic experiences.

I would rather pay to own more/all consoles and be rewarded with the ability to play all exclusives, than only have to buy 1 piece of hardware and have nothing unique to ever be designed again.
I'm the opposite.

I'd rather have one good piece of hardware cover everything as much as possible.

It's like media players. I dont have a 4k UHD system because I just play 4k movies off my Xbox. But if I didn't have it and bought a Panasonic 4k player, it's great it can play 4k, BR, DVD and CD discs. Some can even play 3D BR I think. As well as play external files you got on a stick or laptop. It can play just about any media format.

And everyone thinks the same. And companies do too. Nobody (not even Sony who owns movie/tv studios) locks content behind certain media player brands. Everything works on every machine. No person would want certain branded players to have exclusive content, while another doesn't.

It would be a hassle if every format was totally separate needing a totally different machine.

Last edited:

reksveks

I don’t think there will be humanoid aliens since the whole idea is to have a more grounded SF feel.

There will be some form of precursor race (based on their artifact stuff) but my guess is they will be long extinct.
That's kinda what I want but think I am in the minority.

I'm the opposite.

I'd rather have one good piece of hardware cover everything as much as possible.

It's like media players. I dont have a 4k UHD system because I just play 4k movies off my Xbox. But if I didn't have it and bought a Panasonic 4k player, it's great it can play 4k, BR, DVD and CD discs. Some can even play 3D BR I think. As well as play external files you got on a stick or laptop. It can play just about any media format.

It would be a hassle if every format was totally separate needing a totally different machine.
I said in my post that gaming cannot be compared to other mediums. A Blu-ray player is a blu-ray player, all of the movies are exactly the same, regardless of hardware.

If we went down that route in gaming - which would be impossible because you're asking manufacturers to make consoles the same, while keeping PC hardware different..., we would lose out on exclusive games.

I personally heavily despise the wants, needs and entitlements of modern day gamers, this isn't aimed at you, more of a general view. Everyone wants 1 vr headset, 1 standardised hardware and free games on gamepass. That is a nightmare future for what should be an artform medium, not a money-making, corporate one.

You say hassle. One man's fun is another's hell and I get that. But I enjoy different experiences with different controllers and different hardware. I like playing RTS on M+KB. I like chilling infront of the tv with a controller and, depending how i feel, playing a unique xbox or unique PS game. Variety is the spice of life.

Top Bottom