• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Showcase Rumored to Be Announced Next Week

Neff

I dont know how big Bethesda is but is it a possibility that each planet is hand crafted?

There's over a thousand planets, so not a chance. There will be an absolute ton of hand-crafted stuff in there though, integrated with the procedural stuff.

Nydius

I wouldn’t be surprised if FF and Zelda dates were delayed if June is announced for Starfield.

Didn’t Yoshida recently say the only way FF16 would be delayed is if a meteor falls on Japan? Unless Bethesda has been spending these last few months working on a meteor delivery system like the bugs from Starship Troopers, FF16’s date isn’t moving.

And there’s no way in hell Nintendo is changing the release date of the largest release on the Switch this year, maybe even since BotW.

ed:
I was kidding cuz I assumed he was kidding too
Why would I be kidding? What sense would it make for Microsoft to try and fit their largest, most hyped, game of 2023 into a narrow June window that is surrounded by other mega releases?

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
Didn’t Yoshida recently say the only way FF16 would be delayed is if a meteor falls on Japan? Unless Bethesda has been spending these last few months working on a meteor delivery system like the bugs from Starship Troopers, FF16’s date isn’t moving.

And there’s no way in hell Nintendo is changing the release date of the largest release on the Switch this year, maybe even since BotW.

ed:

Why would I be kidding? What sense would it make for Microsoft to try and fit their largest, most hyped, game of 2023 into a narrow June window that is surrounded by other mega releases?
I thought Zelda was exclusive to Nintendo, FF16 exclusive to PS and Starfield exclusive to Xbox. Wouldn't that mean they wouldn't really impact each other? I mean other than the small amount of hardcore fans that own all the systems. And even then, we will still buy them all in June :)

I dont know how big Bethesda is but is it a possibility that each planet is hand crafted? Given the fact the game has been worked on for the last 6+ years?

I'm not talking multiple cities on each planet, i would think 1-2 big cities, 5-10 smaller towns and bits inbetween and a lot of open world, if that's replicated 100+ times, i think id be happy.
No it’s not possible

One of bethesdas older games was called daggerfall and used early procedural generation for quests and environment - so I think they’re probably going that direction

What’d be cool is in the future games that can utilize advanced AI to essentially make the game as you play and it’ll feel coherent like you make a choice and it’ll come up with a pretty solid direction the story would lead to automatically create assets on the fly and new environments characters to support it - I could see that happening some day.

Last edited:
I dont know how big Bethesda is but is it a possibility that each planet is hand crafted? Given the fact the game has been worked on for the last 6+ years?

I'm not talking multiple cities on each planet, i would think 1-2 big cities, 5-10 smaller towns and bits inbetween and a lot of open world, if that's replicated 100+ times, i think id be happy.

It will likely have one planet per system that will be hand crafted. Like Earth in Solar System.

At Max.

DarthPutin

I thought they flat out confirmed that there will be some hand crafted and many generated planets, but I might be misremembering.

I also believe they said that we'll be able to tell the difference, so one could just skip all "procced" planets and do hand-crafted ones. I'd also expect interesting shit on PC with these planets after modding.

I thought they flat out confirmed that there will be some hand crafted and many generated planets, but I might be misremembering.

I also believe they said that we'll be able to tell the difference, so one could just skip all "procced" planets and do hand-crafted ones. I'd also expect interesting shit on PC with these planets after modding.
I can't wait to visit all the unique modded planets that people come up with. I'm going play this game once, and then come back in 10 years. I'm sure it'll be mindblowing at that point.

Nautilus

Banned
Detective Looking GIF by Sherlock Holmes Games

Nydius

I thought Zelda was exclusive to Nintendo, FF16 exclusive to PS and Starfield exclusive to Xbox. Wouldn't that mean they wouldn't really impact each other?
Zelda is exclusive to Nintendo and Horizon Zero Dawn is exclusive to PlayStation and if you think HZD didn't get impacted by Zelda releasing in the same window, well, I dunno where you were in 2017 because it most assuredly did. That was just two games and you conveniently omit the multiplatform Diablo IV also coming out in June, which people have been waiting well over a decade for.

Trying to fit Starfield in a narrow window between FOUR mega releases in the span of a month would be marketing suicide, especially since there's RPG overlap with Zelda and Diablo.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Space is just boring, especially when compared to the world of skyrim or Fallout. Its gonna be a huge empty game imo

Skyrim and Fallout is also "in space", the Earth we're on right now, is in space.. What you're thinking of is the trope of open world sci-fi games heavily relying on procedurally generated landscapes to simulate barren rock planets. But there's nothing in the way of Bethesda putting "Skyrim's map" on a globe, fence it off and call it a planet in Starfield's universe. We will see.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
Skyrim and Fallout is also "in space", the Earth we're on right now, is in space.. What you're thinking of is the trope of open world sci-fi games heavily relying on procedurally generated landscapes to simulate barren rock planets. But there's nothing in the way of Bethesda putting "Skyrim's map" on a globe, fence it off and call it a planet in Starfield's universe. We will see.
I hope you realize that Todd already explained with quite a lot of details how planets work in Lex Friedman interview.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I hope you realize that Todd already explained with quite a lot of details how planets work in Lex Friedman interview.
Didn't see that segment until now.. So yeah it seems like they've thought it through and balanced hand crafted and procedural content. So there's absolutely a chance we could have some sort of Skyrim in space in some aspects.

wolffy71

Banned
Wow talk about semantics
So literally everything in existence is in space. Brilliant

Interesting, they said that for last week too.

Now it's Thursday, where is the showcase? Only two days left before another week passes.

skyfall

Wow talk about semantics
So literally everything in existence is in space. Brilliant

When you think you're being philosophical but you've actually you've just smoked too much weed.

What if like....if life.... WE are the aliens. Whoa!

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
Jez Corden is a moron

So basically Corden will pass along anything no matter how hilariously unverified it is

I have blocked Jizz Corden (but I can see his tweets here when people post them), DRead Dragon, DOLT Eastwood and a few other raging fanboys. No time for that shit in my life.

Kvally

Banned
He can throw anything at the wall and whatever sticks say I told you so but if it doesnt this is his song and dance

When he does in fact post something on Windows Central first its usually hand fed to him by MS anyhow
I was THIS close to starting a Google Sheets public database where I would put rumors in said database along with the person who made the claim, the date of claims, etc....then track whether it was true or false, and see if anyone was accurate and how accurate they were. Then I realized, I would be doing a database of useless people posting on Twitter, essentially making my life worse than theirs.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I was THIS close to starting a Google Sheets public database where I would put rumors in said database along with the person who made the claim, the date of claims, etc....then track whether it was true or false, and see if anyone was accurate and how accurate they were. Then I realized, I would be doing a database of useless people posting on Twitter, essentially making my life worse than theirs.
Most of the people who actually hear stuff don't openly post on Twitter unless the ok was given to them

Most people talk in private discords or just grouped while gaming with friends ;)

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
He can throw anything at the wall and whatever sticks say I told you so but if it doesnt this is his song and dance

When he does in fact post something on Windows Central first its usually hand fed to him by MS anyhow

Either that or he has a boss on Windows Central who actually requires information to be fully vetted before published. Journalism 101 type shit.

Either way, folks are starting to get tired of his act, I think.

2N0loEi.png

d00AgJ6.png

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
Either that or he has a boss on Windows Central who actually requires information to be fully vetted before published. Journalism 101 type shit.

Either way, folks are starting to tired of his act, I think.

2N0loEi.png

d00AgJ6.png
His act is just pathetic. I would like to add, calling out someone's weight to insult them, especially masked behind a keyboard (or at all for that matter) is just as bad. I wish everyone would be nice to each other.

I feel the need to stand up for Jez a bit here. He did make it clear in his podcast that he had no sources on this, and that the rumor originated from someone else. Him talking about and speculating about a rumor isn't the same as him dropping a sourced leak.

GHG

I feel the need to stand up for Jez a bit here. He did make it clear in his podcast that he had no sources on this, and that the rumor originated from someone else. Him talking about and speculating about a rumor isn't the same as him dropping a sourced leak.

Does not compute.

Either you have a source, even if said source is shit, or you are the person creating the rumour.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
He knew what he was doing and the clicks it would drive and then throws his hands up and say but it wasn't confirmed

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

the issue with jezz is that he sells himself as an Xbox analyst....but he doesn't analyse shit. he only informes what he is told. then he says he doesn't care ( about MS acquiring ABK) but clearly he does in a personal level.

Topher

Gold Member
His act is just pathetic. I would like to add, calling out someone's weight to insult them, especially masked behind a keyboard (or at all for that matter) is just as bad. I wish everyone would be nice to each other.

That was uncalled for. Of course, Jez dropped right down into the mud as well so....🤷‍♂️

He allowed the rumor to gain traction with his name attached to it. Did nothing to try throw fire on the story written referencing him and Andy Robinson at all. Like HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 said, throw it against the wall and see if it sticks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom