• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The All-Star Break is over! The NEW MLB Thread - This half we get stickied for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

FUCK. Dodgers traded Abercrombie and Murphy plus some other kid I havent heard of for Finley... and now we have 4 outfielders again which really makes no sense at all. What the fuck was DePodesta thinking trading so many players while we were in first place and the hottest team in the bigs arguably? We tried to go young with the deals from the Marlins and then add two old ass dudes from the Dbacks. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Joe

the dodgers traded david roberts to the red sox.

you should be happy, you're team is going for it right now. they're trying to win right now. and if you have to sacrafice some future then you go for it.

Meier

Uhh the Dodgers WERE winning it right now without making these awful trades. The Dodgers have the best record in baseball in 1-run games and that fact is largely due to the Mota/Gagné combination. Why fuck with that? Our offense has been popping lately too and we traded the third or fourth best hitting catcher in the bigs? It's lunacy and makes 0 sense at all.

Fifty

The Yanks lucked out with that trade. Despite Loiza not having the best season, he's still a #2 starter on almost every team. Jose showed some signs, but he wasn't consistant enough for the Yankees.

J2 Cool

Jim Hendry, I could perform sexual favors on you right now. You're my hero! He plays the GM role like I'd do in my franchise of MLB 2004 with fair trading turned off. The talent on this team is mind numbing.

Lineup: (no clue about order you want em)

Todd Walker/Mark Grudzielanek
Nomar Garciaparra
Corey Patterson
Sammy Sosa
Aramis Ramirez
Moises Alou
Derek Lee
Michael Barret
pitcher

Rotation:

Mark Prior
Kerry Wood
Matt Clement
Carlos Zambrano
Greg Maddux

The only problem for us I'd say is the bullpen. No definite closer. We rely on Farnsworth and Hawkins who havent been completely reliable. Borowski is an unknown. I dunno. That is something you can deal with though. As a team this roster looks downright scary. Anyway, set a date for tomorrow's game. Maddux going for 300 and Nomar likely in the lineup!

Joe

Meier said:
Uhh the Dodgers WERE winning it right now without making these awful trades.
they were/are over-achieving. this puts them over the top. they should be favorites to win the west now.

Fifty said:
The Yanks lucked out with that trade. Despite Loiza not having the best season, he's still a #2 starter on almost every team. Jose showed some signs, but he wasn't consistant enough for the Yankees.
im not even sure if that trade went through. jose had a no-trade clause, who knows if he waived it.

wait, just checked espn.com, seems official. i was always optimistic on jose, but the guy is just so damn inconsistent. we'll see, right now it seems like it may just be a wash.

Fifty

Joe said:
im not even sure if that trade went through. jose had a no-trade clause, who knows if he waived it.

Whoa, I didn't think he had that much power. That's a nice deal.....Play for the Yankees, underperform, and demand to stay there.

Joe

and the red sox got RAPED. i thought theo was supposed to be a good gm?

anyone else absoultely despise buster olney?

Meier

Aside from what Lo Duca has done for the Dodgers beside and behind the plate, he's simply a loved and lovable member of the Dodgers family. Until Friday, he was a lifetime Dodger, drafted in the 25th round in '93 and eight years in the minors before breaking in full-time in 2001.

This wasn't a transaction. This was a life-altering experience for Lo Duca.

"It's always in the back of your mind that this might happen, but I always dreamed of being a Dodger my whole life," Lo Duca said.

You should have been Paulie.. you should have been. And no, the Dodgers werent overachieving -- they were UNDERachieving for a month stretch when we slumped. For the vast majority of the year, the Dodgers have been in 1st place and were about 13 games up back in May. I fully support us gettign rid of Encarnacion since he's been terrible this year.. but giving up Mota and Lo Duca is a move that will haunt the Dodgers for years to come IMO. David Ross has some pop but he is not an every day catcher.. and Mayne is even worse.

I'm so pissed right now.

Joe

mota probably would have wanted a steep pay increase next season, who knows if the dodgers would have even signed him same thing thing with lo duca.

Kettch

no clue about order you want em

It'll probably be:

1. Walker/Grudz
2. Garciaparra
3. Sosa
4. Alou
5. Ramirez
6. Lee
7. Patterson
8. Barrett
9. Pitcher

Personally, I would switch Alou and Ramirez though. Ramirez is batting over .400 at cleanup, and it splits Sosa and Alou who are both horrible against lefties.

Meier

I also dont like trading Roberts. His ability to get on and then steal second has ignited many, many rallies and resulted in a lot of runs.

rc213

Meier said:
I also dont like trading Roberts. His ability to get on and then steal second has ignited many, many rallies and resulted in a lot of runs.

Even worse, they traded him for Minor Leaguer. GAAAAAAAAAARRRRR! That sucks! Fuckers just thinned out our bench guys.

Joe

it never ends for mets fans. they're dead set on a rebuilding mode and then go and trade one of the top pitching prospects in baseball for VICTOR ZAMBRANO.

i think the benson trade was good, especially since they're gonna sign him.

Desperado

21 @ ARI - W 5-2
22 @ ARI - W 10-3
23 vs MIL - L 7-6
24 vs MIL - W 6-3
25 vs MIL - W 9-1
26 vs ARI - L 4-1
27 vs ARI - W 10-3
28 vs ARI - W 6-1
29 vs ARI - L 6-3
30 @ CIN - L 3-2
31 @ CIN - W 8-0

---trade deadline---
01 @ CIN 12:15 PM - Oswalt

wheee, back to .500 we go...please pull out a win tommorow O!

Meier

Beltran hit his 11th jack for the Stros. Man the Dodgers were going to get him but DePodesta wouldn't give up Mota. Then he goes and trades him a few weeks later. Stupid fucker :|

Miguel

Cubsfan23 said:
Miguel am crying.

NOOOOOO!!!

noose.gif

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Fifty said:

lol, not even close. Loaiza this year is a scrub. Period. I'm not high on Contreras, but I'd say it is an even trade. Jose is inconsistant, Esteban is a consistant 4-6 runs in 6 innings. Pick your poison. What we really needed was another bat.

Mrbob said:
I think Eminem is gonna be pissed when he saw who the White Sox traded away.

Nah. Loaiza is a 4/5 starter this year. His ERA is 4.86, and he barely strikes anyone out. Conteras has a higher ERA, but he has his nights where he's unhittable. Esteban hasn't had any of those this year. Like I said, it's inconsistancy Vs. mediocrity. Not that Jose is that much better. Again, I'd say it's an even trade. Shoulda got another bat though.

Still, if we can somehow muster enough offense to make the play-offs, I love our 1-2-3 of Buehrle, Garcia and Contereras. though jose will almost assuredly choke =p

As far as the Cubs...jesus they made out like bandits.

Joe

putting on pinstripes can do magical things for players. ;)

even if loaiza continues to pitch as he's been the pitching this season so far then its an upgrade. if scott proctor goes to the white sox with contreras you're gonna like him a lot.

oh and be prepared to be VERY frustrated with contreras. just a warning.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
they should deport his family and bring them back to america every time he has a start. Then he'll be awesome.

Mrbob

The best GM of the past couple years:

act-hendry.jpg

56419_1969417.JPG

56419_Ramirez2582440.JPG

Now the latest addition in the Jim Hendry era!!!

trd_gars_ft.jpg

How sweet it is.

Mrbob

Lol, i don't hate Dusty.

Getting Dusty was a good move. Whether or not you like him he was the hottest manager on the block at the time. He still is considered one of the top managers. I'm just talking about the moves Hendry has made. They don't always work out like they should but he has outclassed all the other GMs in the past two years. As a Cubs fan, it is sometimes weird to realize you have a GM that is taking all the steps to make your team a WS contender.

Desperado

21 @ ARI - W 5-2
22 @ ARI - W 10-3
23 vs MIL - L 7-6
24 vs MIL - W 6-3
25 vs MIL - W 9-1
26 vs ARI - L 4-1
27 vs ARI - W 10-3
28 vs ARI - W 6-1
29 vs ARI - L 6-3
30 @ CIN - L 3-2
31 @ CIN - W 8-0

---

01 @ CIN 12:15 PM

3 vs ATL 7:05 PM
4 vs ATL 7:05 PM
5 vs ATL 7:05 PM

6 vs MON 7:05 PM
7 vs MON 6:05 PM
8 vs MON 1:05 PM

10 @ NYM 6:10 PM
11 @ NYM 6:10 PM
12 @ NYM 11:10 AM

13 @ MON 6:05 PM
14 @ MON 6:05 PM
15 @ MON 12:05 PM

---

First half of August is against the nLEAST. Atlanta always gives us trouble, but we need to win the series...we SHOULD be able to get 5 wins against montreal. Of course, we only won 4 of 6 against an even worse Dbacks team...=/ The Mets series should be fun, we get to see Doggie again. He'll probably kill us. >_< still, a series win is NEEDED. In these 12 games I hope for 8 or 9 wins. Nothing so far has shown me they can do that. I WANT to be surprised. The pitching staff is going to cause us grief...we have Clemens, Oswalt...Then Munro? Redding is an even bigger question than Munro. And Oliver...let's just hope he can do as well as he did today. 69 pitches on 5 innings, 0 ER. His career stats say otherwise. I still want to see if bringing up Backe [who has been converted into a starter] or Hernandez could do any good.

---

17 @ PHI 6:05 PM
18 @ PHI 6:05 PM
19 @ PHI 12:05 PM

20 vs CHC 7:05 PM
21 vs CHC 6:05 PM
22 vs CHC 1:05 PM

23 vs PHI 7:05 PM
24 vs PHI 7:05 PM
25 vs PHI 1:05 PM

26 @ CHC 1:20 PM
27 @ CHC 2:20 PM
28 @ CHC 12:20 PM
29 @ CHC 1:20 PM

30 @ CIN 6:10 PM
31 @ CIN 6:10 PM
1 @ CIN 11:35 AM
---

2nd half of August is the true test for this club. A whole bunch of games with Wildcard contenders...last time we had a stretch of games like this [vs. SD and LA] we blew it. That 4 game series at Wrigley is gonna be hell. This is the earliest Wade Miller will return; if he does that'll give us a little boost, hopefully. He wasn't all that consistent before the injury, though. If we lose these series, it's even MORE over for this club. Of course if they don't win 8-9 in the first half of August then it really doesn't matter. Sure they could miraculously put together some sweeps on Philly/Chitown...err, no they couldn't. 16 games, they need 11-12. I doubt they get that many, but it's their only chance.

Desperado

HAHA Lo Duca hits his 1st HR as a Marlin.

EDIT: Despite that, it looks like the Marlins might lose another one. Termel Sledge hit a GRAND SLAM off of Manzanillo. 8-5 EXPOS.

Joe

yeah, hes a career .300+ hitter at yankee stadium, hopefully he can get it going with them. if he can be the john olerud of a couple years ago, that would be huge.

cashman said that the loaiza trade was literally finalized at 3:59pm.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
GOD DAMNIT MOTHER FUCKER. TWO GAMES IN A ROW WE WALK THE WINNING RUN IN. MOTHER FUCKER.

jesus. fucking white sox.

Fifty

What is it with Chicago teams and walking the winning run in? :p

Both the Cubs and the Sox like to pull that act more than we'd ever like to see.

Desperado

Cubsfan23 said:
It's going to be fun knocking the Astros out of the Wild Card race :)

Oh, but won't it? As much as I hate watching this team play...I'm somehow holding out hope that they can pull it together. =(

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Desperado,how old are you? How long have you been a stros fan? You have to let the suffering end and just let go of this season.

Its also time to face reality for what it is...during our time on this planet we will never see the Astros win or make it to the World series.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Fifty said:
You're 5.5 games back of the wildcard!with 58 to play. If he wants to be a diehard fan, let him. :D

Ive been die-hard since I was like 3 or 4 years old *my dad started me early* Over twenty something years of failure has finally gotten to me..I cant shed a tear over them this year,deep down in my left nut I expected this to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom