• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The All-Star Break is over! The NEW MLB Thread - This half we get stickied for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desperado

Matrix said:
Desperado,how old are you? How long have you been a stros fan? You have to let the suffering end and just let go of this season.

Its also time to face reality for what it is...during our time on this planet we will never see the Astros win or make it to the World series.

el oh el. I'm 16 in September. Been a fan since 1992 or around then, hell I still have the 1992 Astros Buddies poster with Bagwell, Biggio, Luis Gonzalez, Steve Finley, Ken Caminiti, and Art Howe up in my room on the wall. I guess actually this is the first year I've actively followed the team throughout the season. The pre-season hype got me, I suppose. But I guess I haven't met my disappointment threshold. Yet. Until I do, I'll follow my 'Stros.

I mean, shit, I'm a Saints fan. I think that says it all. =)

---

BTW, somehow I think the Cards' pitching is beginning to show its true face...Morris giving up 8 in the 1st inning. Who knows, though, they'll probably win it 12-10. =P

Dez

Fifty said:
The Yanks lucked out with that trade. Despite Loiza not having the best season, he's still a #2 starter on almost every team. Jose showed some signs, but he wasn't consistant enough for the Yankees.

Loaiza's got an era close to 5, his strikeouts are down, walks are up.. essentially he's pitching like he always has (barring last year).. Plus he'll get fried when he sucks as a Yankee.. I'd rather have Contreras if salary wasn't a consideration.

rc213

Stupid Stupid! Mota's trade biting us in the ass the first game after the trade.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!
Someone find the jackass that pulled the trigger on the trade!

I thought the Dodgers had figured out by now that Dreifort is no good as a setup man, dude sucks in pressure situations.

The moment Dreifort's numbers came up on screen they had at the bottom 13 1/2 consecutive scoreless innings I knew we were going to lose it. It almost always happens when they do, as it happened to Mota when they mentioned he had 15 scoreless innings...

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
Man I can't believed what happened.. oh wait yes i can its dreifort. Fucken pissed that we lost. Awesome HR by ishii though.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Dez said:
Loaiza's got an era close to 5, his strikeouts are down, walks are up.. essentially he's pitching like he always has (barring last year).. Plus he'll get fried when he sucks as a Yankee.. I'd rather have Contreras if salary wasn't a consideration.

We have the frontline of Garcia/Beurhle/Contreras till 2006 at the least now.

Mrbob

Rivera is gonna teach Loaiza how to throw that cut fastball effectively again. I expect his ERA to drop significantly as he goes to the Yanks.

Joe

i wouldnt be suprised at all if contreras prosperes in chicago and loaiza realizes his potential again in new york.

contreras has absolutely filthy stuff.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
yeah, i see win/win for both clubs. godspeed to us both. but we need it more =/

exactly. jose is either filthy or rocked. one or the other from what i've seen.

J2 Cool

Wait a sec.. so all the moves Jim Hendry's made:

Dusty Baker signing
Aramis signing
Lofton/Simon additions to help last year playoff run especially w/ Patterson down
Hawkins signed
Greg Maddux signed for 5th starter spot
Nomar traded for

Thats a lot of amazing moves right there. Ive never been more impressed actually with a gm of a sports team. Steinbrenner has none of this guy's class.

Meier

The Dodgers were 45-0 in games they've led after seven innings before San Diego's comeback.

This trade is going to be the one that loses the West for us and possibly a shot at the wild card. Just an awful, awful decision to get rid of Mota. Mind-boggling really.

AirBrian

trd_gars_ft.jpg

Nice avatar. :)

Mrbob

J2 Cool said:
Wait a sec.. so all the moves Jim Hendry's made:

Dusty Baker signing
Aramis signing
Lofton/Simon additions to help last year playoff run especially w/ Patterson down
Hawkins signed
Greg Maddux signed for 5th starter spot
Nomar traded for

Thats a lot of amazing moves right there. Ive never been more impressed actually with a gm of a sports team. Steinbrenner has none of this guy's class.

Steinbrenner made a smart choice in signing Joe Torre. But now it seems like 'The Boss' wants to get rid of him lol.

Some more aweosme moves by Jim Hendry:

Signing Glendon Rusch. Who has practically been the Cubs MVP this year.
Signing Michael Barret. This guy has been amazing.
Trading Choi for Derrick Lee. Choi is already gone from Florida. A great move for the Cubs.

Hendry always talks about how they don't have to act like the Yankees to get deals done. It's all about being smart. Not just throwing a ton of money at players.

Couple hours till gametime! Nomar + 300!

maddux_m.jpg

I hope Maddux gets this done today. I don't want it to drag out like Clemens bid for 300!

Joe

steinbrenner signed torre to a 3 year contract extension and a lifetime yankee contract on top of that.

Kettch

I don't like this lineup at all.

-Patterson is having a good game, but he simply isn't a leadoff hitter. Doesn't walk much at all, and his power is wasted there. The speed is nice, but with the power hitters coming after him one base is all we need. Ideally he should be batting 7th, where he's going at a .320 clip, can drive in runs, and steal a few bases to give Barrett RBI opportunities.

-I know Dusty doesn't want to play Walker against lefties, but he's gona have to change that state of mind with Grudz batting .169 off of them. Walker needs to be given the full time job, with Grudz only playing occasionally to give him rest.

-The Sosa-Alou switch is meaningless, as they're still hitting back to back with their .173-.224 averages against lefties respectively. One of them needs to hit 3rd (I'd suggest Sosa), the other 5th, with Ramirez batting cleanup where he's hitting over .400 this year.

Desperado

21 @ ARI - W 5-2
22 @ ARI - W 10-3
23 vs MIL - L 7-6
24 vs MIL - W 6-3
25 vs MIL - W 9-1
26 vs ARI - L 4-1
27 vs ARI - W 10-3
28 vs ARI - W 6-1
29 vs ARI - L 6-3
30 @ CIN - L 3-2
31 @ CIN - W 8-0
01 @ CIN - W 7-5

whooo Stros win! Playing .666 ball for the last 12 games...If we could keep it up then that would put us in a great place to win the WC. COME FROM BEHIND WIN FOR THE ASTROS OMGWTF...even though Oswalt didn't have his A-game he gave us 7 innings. Our bullpen has been coming together recently, I hope they can keep it up.

Mrbob

Cubsfan23 said:
Fuck you Farnsworth, get rid of his ass.

Oh boy. We got a break there on that 3-2 fastball that got called for a strikeout. Now bases loaded and one out! Remlinger DO NOT BLOW IT. :(

Mashing

Philly sucks... we had a chance to gain a game on the cubs and they choke to one of the worst closers in the league...

Scoobert

Woohoo, Marlins don't get sweeped by the Expos...again! Rain saved them, game is postponed lol. Glad the game will start over.

Desperado

Mashing said:
Philly sucks... we had a chance to gain a game on the cubs and they choke to one of the worst closers in the league...

Well, all it means is that the Astros are now tied for 4th. The less teams in front of them, the better.

Now, if the Dodgers could just beat SD already...

Meier

Whoa.. Gagne has pitched 3 innings tonight. Pretty shocking for a closer although it's definitely since he didnt pitch yesterday and they have Monday off.

Meier

Haha awesome. PH's for Gagne and hits a jack! I wonder who will close tonight with Mota and Martin gone? :| Maybe Brad Penny? Heh

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
I'm shitting my pants right now :(

thsi win could do alot for our team chemistry

Meier

Fucking hell.. my worst nightmares with it being Dreifort.. and now they've already got a runner on. DAMN YOU MALONE FOR SIGNING ALL THOSE HUGE CONTRACTS!

Mrbob

NLB2 said:
Why do you say that?

He luvs Chicago. He isn't going anywhere. Hendry didn't bring him over for the short term. We aren't going to have to pay Alou next year as he'll be gone. We may not be able to resign Clement. NOMAH money right there.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Mrbob said:
He luvs Chicago. He isn't going anywhere. Hendry didn't bring him over for the short term. We aren't going to have to pay Alou next year as he'll be gone. We may not be able to resign Clement. NOMAH money right there.

what do you expect him to say? "I hate this town and my team. Fuck you, Boston." ? Of course he'll say he likes it.

Mrbob

Good. Now the Cubbies are only a game back in the Wild Card!

Big NL West schedule coming up for the Cubs! First three Colorodo, then three at San Fran. Then three at home against San Diego and then three at home against LA! Follow that up with the rest of the month against Milwaukee and Houston and this is the month the Cubs stake their claim to the NL Wildcard!

what do you expect him to say? "I hate this town and my team. Fuck you, Boston." ? Of course he'll say he likes it.

He looked genuinely happy for the first time in almost five months. He'll stay in Chicago with the Cubs count on it.

Eminem said:

Yeah, he did seem pretty happy about the response he was getting at the end of the game. it seemed genuine.

Meier

I wouldn't be surprised if Nomar were be a Dodger next year. He's said he wants to play in his home town in the past year and I doubt that desire has changed. They'd probably move either him or Izturis to second.. I wouldn't be surprised if it were Nomar though since Izturis is clearly the superior fielder. If they did get him though, Alex Cora would definitely be the odd man out between Izturis and him though either way.

Meier said:
Oh snap Dreifort closed the door! Good job dude.

Yeah, my heart was pounding when he let the lead man on and I pretty much had my hands in my face when that last hit went deep, but thankfully it ended at that.

Still, a damn good game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom