• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ashes 2015 |OT| Three Mitchells v Three Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starc really is a different prospect to right handers. Struggles to find a consistent line to lefties, really needs to work on it.

I don't think this lot understand how or when to bat aggressively. Some of these shots... not even 20 overs bowled yet

yeah. One of the reason why I am an advocate of promoting Root to 3 and getting rid of Lyth.

Maybe give someone like Hales a shot opening. He doesnt have a bad first class record.

yeah. One of the reason why I am an advocate of promoting Root to 3 and getting rid of Lyth.

Maybe give someone like Hales a shot opening. He doesnt have a bad first class record.

Aye. A bit like Warner, he has a weaker ODI record although Warner achieved so much more at a comparative age.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
There's talk of it reaching the high 30s next week...

Root is just far too good. Very lucky to begin with, but damn good. I'd be inclined to go Ballance-Cook-Bell-Root-Taylor. With a long term eye for Root at 3.

There's talk of it reaching the high 30s next week...

Root is just far too good. Very lucky to begin with, but damn good. I'd be inclined to go Ballance-Cook-Bell-Root-Taylor. With a long term eye for Root at 3.

This is what I dont understand.

Every Englishman can see that Root is the long term no. 3. and you are currently struggling at the top of the order, so why wait any longer to put him at no. 3? What are you waiting for?

He is the best bat in England and currently in form, he should be batting 3.

The Second Spitter said:
Week & half ago, London had a Adelaide summer.

haha, an Adelaide spring maybe.

I read in one of the tour matches a reporter asked Mitch Marsh what he thought of batting in the heat given it was the hottest June day on record. He laughed and said he almost called for a sweater!

Lunch break has come at a good time for Australia. Need to reset and get back out on the field and keep it tight for a few overs.

A wicket after lunch for not much will put a lot of pressure back on England.

Root has looked great, I hope that dropped catch doesnt hurt us much more.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Already costs us 32.

Honestly if haddin does not have a good 2 tests than I'd say drop him for Neville.

:lol at suggesting moving Bell up to 3. Fantastic reward for failure.

Push him back down to 5.

They went through this during the last series as well:

"At number three, Bell has scored 1,437 runs in 37 innings at an average of 39.91. In the number five position, Bell has 2,281 runs at 49.58 from 54 knocks. Bell's most successful position is number six where he averages 59.92, with 1,618 runs in 37 innings."

:lol at suggesting moving Bell up to 3. Fantastic reward for failure.

Push him back down to 5.

They went through this during the last series as well:

"At number three, Bell has scored 1,437 runs in 37 innings at an average of 39.91. In the number five position, Bell has 2,281 runs at 49.58 from 54 knocks. Bell's most successful position is number six where he averages 59.92, with 1,618 runs in 37 innings."

Not to mention he is woefully out of form at the moment too.

mclem

Too much sport at the moment, but I'm coping quite nicely thanks to Five Live covering Wimbledon while getting regular updates from Cardiff. And it gives a nice extra tweak due to hearing Pat Cash react to the cricket goings-on, which is a different voice on the subject!

Too much sport at the moment, but I'm coping quite nicely thanks to Five Live covering Wimbledon while getting regular updates from Cardiff. And it gives a nice extra tweak due to hearing Pat Cash react to the cricket goings-on, which is a different voice on the subject!

Im trying to keep an eye on Le Tour too!

I might hit the sack after this MJ spell. We need a wicket badly.

elfinke

Joe Root is burning through some good fortune here. Bloody hell.

Ballance hasn't got a clue. Looks out of his league, and yet there he is on 38.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Joe Root is burning through some good fortune here. Bloody hell.

Ballance hasn't got a clue. Looks out of his league, and yet there he is on 38.

Ballance is a good player. He's not in great form, but he's a natural accumulator. Look at his stats, he just gets runs with no fanfare.

elfinke

Ballance is a good player. He's not in great form, but he's a natural accumulator. Look at his stats, he just gets runs with no fanfare.

Yes absolutely.

Root has been edgier than your average youtuber.

I've played grade games like this, where as the fielding team you feel you are dominating. Yet you look at the scoreboard and you're not. Equal parts frustrating and immensely enjoyable.

Kuros

Absolute pudding of a pitch which everyone would have expected after what happened last series.

Hazlewood has looked the most threatening of the Aussie bowlers with his line and length. Nothing in it for Johnson and Starc looks like he is struggling with his approach to the crease. He has so much going on in his action with the long leap that i'm amazed he gets it down as accurately as he does.

I have tickets for day 4 and judging by the pitch i'll be seeing a lot of batting.

elfinke

Root enjoying this pedestrian Watto pace. Though there is enough swing there to keep him a little honest.

I have Root down as the leading run scorer for England this series.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Really not the pitch for Johnson(Not Watson). If he can't get the bounce and pace going he's not got too much going for him. This is an attritional pitch and the Aussies have quickly recognised it, hence Lyon and Watson bowling dry.

elfinke

As safe a bet as there is.

Yeah I didn't feel like it was risky bet! I had intended to put him in a box bet (with Smithy the mirror Aussie run scorer, an Australian series win, Froome as yellow jersey holder and Djokovic to win the strawberries) but didn't get around to it/talked myself out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom