• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ashes 2015 |OT| Three Mitchells v Three Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Inconsistent bowling. Tepid pitch. Competent batting from Root. Not quite competent batting from Ballance.

I think this is a bit unfair on Ballance. He is naturally a less aggressive player than Root, but he picked his shots well considering circumstance and his own lack of form. Root was very lucky: played and missed, was dropped, borderline LBWs. He played and continues to play well with that luck, but Ballance was good too.

Mindwipe

I think this is a bit unfair on Ballance. He is naturally a less aggressive player than Root, but he picked his shots well considering circumstance and his own lack of form. Root was very lucky: played and missed, was dropped, borderline LBWs. He played and continues to play well with that luck, but Ballance was good too.

To be honest I'd regard "not out" as being competent after 43-3.

3Sixty

Root gone.

Was just about to say how unimpressed I've been with Starc's bowling lines and he gets one with a junk ball :lol

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
The thing with Starc is that he is capable of absolute brilliance but lacks any form of consistency. I feel like, except on fast and bouncy pitches, you have to choose between him or Johnson. As an Englishman, the fact that you can viably leave a bowler of either's calibre out is a source of great envy.

The thing with Starc is that he is capable of absolute brilliance but lacks any form of consistency. I feel like, except on fast and bouncy pitches, you have to choose between him or Johnson. As an Englishman, the fact that you can viably leave a bowler of either's calibre out is a source of great envy.

I think Australia's fast bowling ranks are thinner than they appear --
MJ - has steadily gone south since his Ashes heroics and will retire in 18-24 months
Starc - quintessential wild thing
Hazelwood - will be stud , but still green
Siddle -- is he eating meat again?
Cummins - can't get a first-class game
Pattinson- Mr Glass.
Bird -- selectors seem to have lost his phone number
Abbott -- Promising without being dominate at first class level
Counter Nile - seems more interested in the shorter form of the game.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
and compare that to the English ranks:

Mark Wood: Good but injury prone.
Chris Jordan: Not quite good enough but decent.

Jezbollah

England's day? Still no idea how they lost 7 wickets with the way we bowled.

I think if Buttler hadn't thrown his wicket away, and we could have got closer to 400 then maybe.

To be honest we really dont know until Australia get in and how England's bowlers fare to see who really is in charge here.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well yeah, you could say the same for every test. :p Just fun to speculate.

I don't see how england can bowl much worse than the way we did though. Just so all over the place. Except for hazlewood and lyon. I'm frankly surprised we've gotten that many wickets.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I get the feeling the pitch will get slower and, maybe, lower. If we get to 400-450 (I'm skeptical), then that is a strong position for us. Overhead conditions were amenable for modest swing but it wasn't a minefield. I think it will be hard to bat but harder to take wickets from hereon - the good thing is we scored very quickly.

3Sixty

Anderson will have it swinging on a sixpence, skittle the top order for a handful and it will be feet up for the rest of the test.

Antiwhippy

I can't tell how hard the wicket is to bat on honestly. They seem to have it easy mostly but there were so many edges going to the ground or to the boundary, so it's not like they're hitting the middle of the blade all the time.

England's day, despite Buttler throwing it away at the end. Australia bowled so much rubbish today it's impossible to say what a good total is on this wicket.

elfinke

I can't tell how hard the wicket is to bat on honestly. They seem to have it easy mostly but there were so many edges going to the ground or to the boundary, so it's not like they're hitting the middle of the blade all the time.

Agreed.

Good recovery by England, but 7/343 is not worth celebrating. If Australia run through the tail tonight then a repeat of last time, where Australia ended up 6/650-odd declared in reply, might be on the cards on this shit carpark of a pitch.

Then again, it could always go the complete opposite!

bomma_man

MJ - has steadily gone south since his Ashes heroics and will retire in 18-24 months
Pattinson- Mr Glass.

There's that WA bloke too... Paris?

Edit: England's tail doesn't look anywhere near as delicate with Ali there

In the even it seems like a pretty even day, but the Aussies with a definitely edging it. I can just see our tail getting skittled for 30-50 runs and the Aussies racking up a 500-odd total. Much happier than I was after the morning session though.

England's day? Still no idea how they lost 7 wickets with the way we bowled.

7 wickets say the bowlers won. Never expected more than 3 wickets on this pitch.
343 runs say the batsmen won. Can't remember too many times when England have scored at 3.8 per over in a test.

I think England will be happier to have those runs on the board than Australia will be to have taken 7 on day one.

I still expect it to be a draw but if Australia have a mini-collapse they're well on track to a loss here.

Pattinson- Mr Glass.

Couple of misconceptions there. Cummins has deliberately not been allowed to play red ball cricket for the last 18 months due to his injuries, mandated by CA. The fact that he was selected for this team as replacement for Harris is a little bit bewildering though. He is class and will rise to the top eventually. I still remember his spells in the first shield final he played in against a very strong Tasmanian lineup and there were about a dozen plays and misses. Not to mention the working over he gave Kallis in Sth Africa too. To be able to swing it both ways and at pace is the reason why he is so highly regarded.

Bird was injured for a long time too, back problems. Im not sure if he is bowling at the moment or has only just come back. I would like to see how he would go in England on seaming pitches.

There is also Hilfenhaus, Beherendorff (probably closer than most listed here of getting a run), Cutting, Bollinger, Richardson, Sandu, George and Sayers (surprised he didn't get a look in in England as a swing bowler) as bowlers who have been in squads for Australia A or ODI teams in the last couple of years. They would all be around test teams in most other nations.

EDIT: Beherendorff and Sayers were injured and that ruined their chances of getting picked http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/826199.html

England's day, despite Buttler throwing it away at the end. Australia bowled so much rubbish today it's impossible to say what a good total is on this wicket.

Slight edge to Aus, imo. I think 430-450 for the first dig is par on this pitch.

Yeah Australia bowled badly, especially in the second session.

A split day I would say.

It really depends on this first hour today. Three quick wickets and bowling England out for less than 400 after they win the toss would be well bowled. ON the other side, if England get to 450+, they will have made the most of batting first.

legend166

I only watched the first session but not surprised with the score when I woke up this morning. Even having them at 3/43 we didn't bowl particularly great, a lot of loose balls. I think it's pretty even at this point, though I'm still afraid of our ability to collapse better than anyone else.

Can't believe Haddin dropped that catch though. We really need Peter Nevill.

Tenebrous

Greatest sporting event on earth. Root is just playing ridiculous stuff right now.

Sky Sports on mute with TMS (Aggers <3) on in the background? Heaven.

Antiwhippy

I really hope we don't bowl as badly for the rest of the match. Not even going to blame the pitch (which was frankly crap). International bowlers should be able to do basics like sticking to a line and length.

Johnson has one good spell but seriously fell off afterwards. Just can't seem to adjust to the bounce off the pitch. Starc bowled 2 amazing balls and rubbish for the rest of them. The only reason he had any maidens is because he bowled them so wide the batsmen couldn't reach it.

Hoping it's just the first day rust.

mclem

Greatest sporting event on earth. Root is just playing ridiculous stuff right now.

Sky Sports on mute with TMS (Aggers <3) on in the background? Heaven.

While I agree, it's an utter PITA to sync them when you're watching on streaming rather than with live pause!

Edit: Hmmm. If I were to feed the laptop through the Xbox One, could I then effectively have live pause on the stream?

Porcile

Managed to catch a couple hours yesterday. I do love an Ashes summer.

My prophecy of Australia's fairly weak bowling line-up coming true, along with my prophecy of an always certain English batsmen implosion. I can't see where this one is going.

I really hope we don't bowl as badly for the rest of the match. Not even going to blame the pitch (which was frankly crap). International bowlers should be able to do basics like sticking to a line and length.

Johnson has one good spell but seriously fell off afterwards. Just can't seem to adjust to the bounce off the pitch. Starc bowled 2 amazing balls and rubbish for the rest of them. The only reason he had any maidens is because he bowled them so wide the batsmen couldn't reach it.

Hoping it's just the first day rust.

My thinking is that the wind was a factor given all the fast bowlers tried both ends hoping to find which one suited them better. Also, the wet run up wouldnt have helped.

That said, they did all bowl below their best.

He's probably going to end up scoring 50 from 30 balls now but Broad should not be batting any higher than 10. Doesn't look like he has a clue.

Hoping Ali can stick around for a while, he's so good to watch when he's in full flow.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Managed to catch a couple hours yesterday. I do love an Ashes summer.

My prophecy of Australia's fairly weak bowling line-up coming true, along with my prophecy of an always certain English batsmen implosion. I can't see where this one is going.

Australia's fairly weak bowling line up?!

They bowled poorly (particularly Starc) but they have one of the best pool of bowlers around the world. South Africa's first choice selection is better (though no spinner as good as Lyon) but otherwise Australia's attack is unparalleled.

Broad is a hilarious batsman nowadays. He's got over his yips but sometime since that Lords hundred (which I saw live) he's just stopped caring. It doesn't help that he's a moron.

Jezbollah

A vcassano1 avatar change.

I am not sure if I am ready for this......

EDIT: look at this. Broad walking! (worth a review though?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom