• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ashes |OT| Australia v England 2013-2014 - All this fuss just for a lil' urn

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmag

WOW terrible dropped catch. What a sitter.

Then gives up a six next ball. Absolutely terrible. Australia haven't been great today. Started poorly, the part time spinners got them back on top and they've let it slip.

The worst part was he called for it.

And another 6 off a full toss. Absolutely mindless bowling.

And another one.

kmag

I thought Faulkner was meant to be a good death bowler? Barring a collapse England will get 300 easily.

Clarke has been a bit silly today. Given the success of himself and Maxwell he could have easily had another 3 or 4 overs of spin today giving him far more options to rotate through the dreck that's currently bowling.

kmag

Cracking knock from Morgan.

Perhaps Australia would be better served with a couple of actual bowlers in their line-up other than just Johnson. Faulkner and Coulter-Nile aren't the best two bowlers they've got they're both in for their combination of bowling and batting rather than just their bowling pick one. McKay looks shot.

Lovely shot for the 100.

Edit: Big lols at Tubby not sure if it was a 6 or not. It's a clearly a 6, Marsh jumped from outside of the field of play.

hamchan

Perhaps Australia would be better served with a couple of actual bowlers in their line-up other than just Johnson. Faulkner and Coulter-Nile aren't the best two bowlers they've got they're both in for their combination of bowling and batting rather than just their bowling pick one. McKay looks shot.

Probably, though it's a good time to test all these guys and whether they deserve to be in the ODI squad.

Would sure have liked Siddle to be in the squad.

Ha, at least our captain can still catch balls.

Teams around seem desperate to find the next big all-rounder. By my reckoning, someone has to make the side based solely on either their batting or bowling. If they happen to be good at the other side of the game, it's a great bonus, but having people that can bat a bit and bowl it bit is a compromise I don't think we need to make.

Lol, had to look it up!

http://www.lords.org/mcc/laws-of-cricket/law-changes-2013-explained/law-19-changes-boundaries/

Law 19.3 (c) and 19.4 (i) - Marsh was clearly considered grounded beyond the boundary.

(a) A boundary shall be scored and signalled by the bowler’s end umpire whenever, while the ball is in play, in his opinion,
(iii) the ball, having crossed the boundary in the air, is first touched by a fielder who has not satisfied the conditions in 4(i) below.

19.4. Ball beyond the boundary

After it has crossed the boundary in the air, a ball may be caught, subject to the provisions of Law 32, or fielded provided that

(i) the first contact with the ball is by a fielder, not touching or grounded beyond the boundary, who has some part of his person grounded within the boundary or whose final contact with the ground before touching the ball was entirely within the boundary.
Yup cut and dry. Should have been a 6 since he didn't leap from within the boundary.

The reasoning is even more explicit
In particular, the wording of section 5(c) has been clarified to emphasise that, when fielding or catching a ball after it has crossed the boundary in the air, the first fielder to touch the ball must not only have some part of his person in contact with the ground within the boundary, but must have no part grounded on or beyond the boundary (or he must have jumped up from such a position).

A second fielder making contact with the ball after a team-mate has already touched it may, however, jump up from a position beyond the boundary on the basis that it is likely to be in reaction to the deflection from his colleague.

Based on comments before the series this is very much McKay's last "ok we gave you one more shot" series. He'll be gone soon. Faulkner is fair enough given his batting if there were decent fast bowlers around him and Coulter-Nile deservers the shot (but isn't doing much with it).

I'd also like to see Lyon get a go. I think the original worry was it would mess up his test bowling, but he is basically bowling one-day stuff in tests now with great success. Might as well give him the gig.

kmag

Teams around seem desperate to find the next big all-rounder. By my reckoning, someone has to make the side based solely on either their batting or bowling. If they happen to be good at the other side of the game, it's a great bonus, but having people that can bat a bit and bowl it bit is a compromise I don't think we need to make.

It's especially strange for Australia since Johnson can actually hit a ball as well. Fine if you want to pick one seam all rounder or even two if Watson is there (as in ODI's at least Watson's batting justifies his inclusion) but you should pick the best two seam bowlers on their bowling.

kmag

So England get 300 after all.

btw I don't agree with that. It's the correct call but you can't change a score after the innings ends. The 3rd umpire made his call at the time, it happened to be wrong. What next giving batters out retrospectively?

Based on comments before the series this is very much McKay's last "ok we gave you one more shot" series. He'll be gone soon. Faulkner is fair enough given his batting if there were decent fast bowlers around him and Coulter-Nile deservers the shot (but isn't doing much with it).

I'd also like to see Lyon get a go. I think the original worry was it would mess up his test bowling, but he is basically bowling one-day stuff in tests now with great success. Might as well give him the gig.

I thought Lyon bowled very well in the last sixers game.

I'd be far more comfortable with them playing say 3 genuine bowlers, 1 all-rounder and make up the rest from Maxwell/Clarke or whoever. Whether that is 3 seamers or 2 and 1 spinner, let the conditions determine.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Things actually going England's way, shocking.

I think most of the current line up is temporary till Cummins, Pattinson, Bird are fit.

Nice to see the United Nations of England have found another player from the Home County of eh Barbados.

Hey Fawad Ahmed will come good soon.

"Despite changing, chopping teams, England has been consistent in having a minimum of 4 players who are not born in England. Today it's Morgan, Ballance, Stokes and Jordan"

"Neel, you missed Rankin, who was born in Northern Ireland (part of the UK, but not England)."

jambo

So frustrating that we get 30 minutes of glorious HD cricket on GEM and then it returns to shitty, fuzzy Channel 9 =/

kmag

Australia in real trouble. How on earth "the best player of spin in the world" lets Root get him out I have no idea.

hamchan

JAMES FAULKNER YOU BEAST!!!! HOLY CRAP!

Wow what a match. What an exhibition from James Faulkner!
England just can't beat Australia!

I never lost faith like some of you :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom