• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ashes |OT| Australia v England 2013-2014 - All this fuss just for a lil' urn

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Made it look easy. Ah well, will be a few more missing next game I imagine so should mix it up a bit.

Goldfield Ashes next weekend :)

Lots of cricket, lots of drinking and lots of other illicts. Gonna be funnnnn.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Morgan essentially called Christian a cheat. I have no problem with Clarke firing up about it.

Having said that, I also have no problem with somebody thinking Christian is a cheat.

I don't think he was calling christian a cheater really, just more that sometimes things can deceive. Still, he had a right to call for one if he had any doubts.

Also there's something really anti-climatic about this match, but I guess it's to be expected after friday's match. Just a comprehensive thrashing really. England's batsmen were too restricted by the field and none of the bowlers looked threatening except for bopara and jordan.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Hah. Shane Warne called the result exactly after the end of the English innings, predicted exactly how easily Australia would do it.

Not exactly the boldest of predictions ;) . That was a severely under-par score.

This confirms that the tour is worse than 06/07. We at least won the ODIs there. It is really very dull to watch this sort of game. The previous game was fun - there was actual competition - but today's was set in stone from fairly early. When the game starts at 3.30AM there just isn't any incentive to watch.

Australia could almost field a very competitive a team for Odis at the moment, it's not that England are just playing badly but there is some serious competition for World Cup squads:

Current Full strength xi:
Warner, finch, marsh, Clarke, Bailey, Haddin, maxwell, faulkner, Johnson, McKay, coulter-Nile/Doherty (depending on the pitch)

Australia a:
Wade, hughes, klinger, white, smith, khawaja, voges, Christian, pattinson, cutting, starc

The only problem is the part time bowlers in the a team and also a lack of depth in the spin bowling department. White and smith would have to bowl!

Stretching "the ashes" but Bailey gone for South Africa with Marsh and Doolan in. Pattinson and Bird also get a flight over.

All makes sense to me. I expect they'll play Marsh unless Doolan is in top form in the warm-ups. I'm also guessing this will allow Watson to bat at 6 with Marsh at 3?

Burli

Pringo
Morgan essentially called Christian a cheat. I have no problem with Clarke firing up about it.

Not at all, if a batsman has real doubt that a ball carried it's completely within his right to wait for the umpire's decision. A fielder can easily catch a ball and think it's carried when it hasn't, not to mention that a couple of times Australian players (including Clarke) have claimed catches that hadn't carried whether knowingly or not. Speaking of Clarke his catch in the match was unbelievable, safest Australian hands in my book.

I was a little annoyed that the Australian supporters booed Buttler for standing up for Morgan, they often have no class as supporters. They were booing their eventual match winner in the last game for not taking a couple of singles - which means they're fickle too.

England are suffering big time in the bowling department, not showing a lot of depth, there's no match winners in our line-up apart from Broad on a good day and he had a stinker. There's been some positives - Morgan's batting fantastically, which makes me very happy as he's my favourite batsmen, Ballance has done well, Jordan is showing potential, Bresnan and Buttler have batted pretty well - but it's not enough by a long shot. We're a mentally injured side at this point and need a big win in order to even begin the re-building process. I'd be up for Morgan becoming one day captain just to inject something new.

It's a very bad feeling as a supporter to go from being incredibly proud of a rare quality England team to watching your team's 8th loss in a row.

Bailey dumped from the test squad for SA, I though he might at least go.

Australia Test squad for South Africa: Michael Clarke (capt), Brad Haddin (vc), Jackson Bird, Alex Doolan, James Faulkner, Ryan Harris, Mitchell Johnson, Shaun Marsh, Nathan Lyon, James Pattinson, Chris Rogers, Peter Siddle, Steve Smith, David Warner, Shane Watson.

Rezbit

Pretty stiff on Bailey to not even get a look in the squad. Expected though. If it was a series pretty much anywhere but South Africa I reckon he would still be in. The bowling inclusions make enough sense, although both Pattinson and Bird could be underdone, doubt they'll get a run bar injuries though. Doolan would get the nod at number 3 I guess? Watto move to 6? Can't really see what Marsh has done lately except in a couple of one-dayers. I've seen a few pundits complaining about a lack of Phil Hughes as he has piled on the runs in Shield. I think it's pretty clear the thinking there, Rogers probably only has a couple more seasons, and then you'll have Hughes slot straight in as opener.

Ashes

Banned
One of the things Alastair Cook needs to do is to forget that they've lost for the last three months. He keeps bringing it up and showing his mental fatigue to the world. All that does to the opposition, is make them feel sorry for you and nothing else.

If they, England, are doing the right things on the training ground, and they know they can perform, England should just go ahead and kill it on the pitch. Which they will do. They arn't going to lose forever for pete's sake.

We're three down, but really, in these one dayers, we've at least been competing. Should had had won the second match by miles.

Yepm not to mention Pat Cummins is back too and Beherendorf continues to impress me despite getting smashed the other night.

Just need a wrist spinner who is under 40.

Muirhead looks like the wrist spinner under 40 you asked for, picked for the t20s

Bailey dumped from the test squad for SA, I though he might at least go.

Australia Test squad for South Africa: Michael Clarke (capt), Brad Haddin (vc), Jackson Bird, Alex Doolan, James Faulkner, Ryan Harris, Mitchell Johnson, Shaun Marsh, Nathan Lyon, James Pattinson, Chris Rogers, Peter Siddle, Steve Smith, David Warner, Shane Watson.

I really thought that he would be in the squad instead of marsh but then Doolan be brought into the team for the first test at 6.

However, after reading inveraitys comments, marsh will likely start first test.

I expect him to bat at three and then Watson play at 6. If Watson gets injured, they will then happily bring in Faulkner, who at the moment is probably the better option that Watson.

Marsh is bloody lucky his dad is great mates with inveraity though. He's made two hundreds in two years since being dropped from the test team!

liger05

This will forever be remembered as 'Cook's tour' and its been nothing short of shambolic.

His not to blame for all this but the captain does take the heat although heads need to roll at management level.

Muirhead looks like the wrist spinner under 40 you asked for, picked for the t20s

Can't say I've really seen him bowl. Hopefully he can get some confidence against the minnows.

Glad to see Lynn getting a go. He has always been a bit of a potential gun. Hopefully he comes off where the likes of a Pomersbach didn't.

Marsh is bloody lucky his dad is great mates with inveraity though. He's made two hundreds in two years since being dropped from the test team!

It is a bit hard to understand. Bailey is a shit first class cricketer who did well in one dayers so they brought him into the test team. When he failed they brought back Marsh who is even worse wearing white. I can see how they want him to come good...but that doesn't mean he ever will. You would have to expect the SA bowlers will eat him up outside off stump.

tri_willy

marsh in the test squad is nothing short of a fucking farce! there's at least 5-10 players i would have playing for the aussies before that cunt

Moxx19

Banned
lmfao, Marsh in the test squad, hasn't that old fossil learned what happens when you pick test players based on ODI form? It was cringe worthy watching Border and Waugh BS their way through his selection on Inside Cricket.

marsh in the test squad is nothing short of a fucking farce! there's at least 5-10 players i would have playing for the aussies before that cunt

There was an article on cricinfo that showed there are 10 players in the shield who have scored more runs this year than Marsh has in the last two. Old favs like North(1), White and Voges and young guns like Lynn, Carters and Head. I can understand Doolan getting a chance on last years form, though he has been a bit crap this year.

kmag

Bowling has been absolute shite

Yep. A bit unlucky with a couple of leading edges not going towards the fielders and a few past the outside edge but they've been bowling like drains

Given the only bowler who's kept it halfway tight has been Maxwell they've missed a trick by not playing a full time spinner.

kmag

Pattinson really shouldn't be playing. He really should have been in position to catch that.

Marsh drops bell a difficult chance but the B-team really coming up short for Australia. Actually on replay not THAT hard he just mistimed his jump.

And he's just dropped another.

kmag

Looks like England is in a winning position. Pattinson has been playing very poorly.

Yep, England are well set for a score well beyond 300, and this Australian batting line up will be hard pressed to get anywhere near that.

The bowling and fielding have been terrible and they'd be relying on England being similarly generous.

Missed an edge there as well which probably would have gotten Morgan. They didn't even really appeal.

kmag

Bailey is a fuckwit.

Pattinson at the end getting hammered exactly as he has been the entire game. He's got bowlers in hand. Hasn't bowled out Maxwell, Christian only bowls 3 relatively cheap overs.

Antiwhippy

Yeah I have no idea why pattinson got a bowl for the second last. He's been bowling like shit all day.

James faulkner did alright at the end. Probably second best bowler after maxwell today. Which is surprising when you think about it.

edit: also, gotta say, full marks for the girls at the english dress up section.

hamchan

Bailey is a fuckwit.

Pattinson at the end getting hammered exactly as he has been the entire game. He's got bowlers in hand. Hasn't bowled out Maxwell, Christian only bowls 3 relatively cheap overs.

Yeah he sure bungled that up. Maxwell still with an over left when he's been bowling the best. :-/

kmag

Wade does realise this is a limited overs game doesn't he?

And he's gone. What a scratchy innings. 23 off 42. Not great given the RR is around 7.

kmag

The more England bowl and do well with the slower bowlers (Tredwell, Bresnan and Bopara) the more it looks that the Aussies missed a trick by not playing Doherty and not giving Christian more of a trundle.

kmag

Probably not, but stranger things have happened. We shouldn't run down the chase when the Fork won it.

It's going to take Finch and/or Faulkner going tonto. Unfortunately with Smith getting out, it'll stop Finch from teeing off until another batter can get in.

kmag

If we lose this I'm blaming every bowler except for faulkner and maxwell.

And wade.

They bowled dross, not helped by sloppy fielding and poor captaincy, but Finch aside they've not batted well either. The asking rate was relatively tough but they've struggled with the English slower bowlers who frankly should be put away.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, the batsmen haven't been great, but the australian bowlers also gave them too much pressure. 16 wides is just inexcusable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom