• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2015 Thread: Keighley's Last Supper

Saiyan-Rox

Little late on this so gonna play catch up

Fuck Konami

Lmao at Jade (was she drunk?)

Metal Gear Solids? XD

Oh and did anyone partake in the Geoff drinking game? take a swig everytime he says "Ahhh" if so RiP

Bronx-Man

Banned
2f18D77.png
As a Shakespeare mark, I just wanted to say that you're a awesome dude.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Also was on many other platforms I believe.

yeah, think they went with every stream service they could find, but he asked about twitch, and that was the highest I saw that I can remember, and I know there's been rumors of bots kicking in once twitch streams get to a certain viewer threshold.

Saya

Someone mentioned the posts during the Iwata tribute were bad, so I went back to look and

hoo boy

I knew some of these people were malcontents, but seriously. Imagine being the kind of person that can't put your video game preferences aside long enough to keep from brain vomiting bile into GAF posts for four minutes.

I want to read this. On what page does it start?

Just woke up here in europe. Any full video with a decent bitrate? Only got 144p or where the comentary ruins it by talking over everything.

Edit nwm IGN replay is where i gave up on 144p.

And it died... Thx IGN

Alienous

How could Hamill not win best performance.

Yes, Her Story was carried by Seifert's performance, but heck, Arkham Knight was carried by Hamill's.

W10GK9b.png

Those retweets too.

I feel like I'm dreaming.

That Geoff Keighley, what a mug huh? Somebody should've told him to just set up a Patreon and have other people fund this award show instead of using the money from his own pocket. Let's all point and laugh at this clueless hack, huh huh huh.

AHA-Lambda

Is there not a lost of reveals and winners yet?

I've seen Jade Reynond throwing shade and the W3 dev's reaction was GODLY, plus the Kojima news. Any other momentous moments?

List of categories, nominees, and winners. Second source because Gamespot sucks.
Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

Game of the Year
  • WINNER: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Bloodborne
  • Fallout 4
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  • Super Mario Maker
Developer of the Year
  • WINNER: CD Projekt Red
  • From Software
  • Kojima Productions
  • Nintendo
  • Bethesda Game Studios
Best Independent Game
  • Axiom Verge
  • Her Story
  • Ori and the Blind Forest
  • WINNER: Rocket League
  • Undertale
Best Mobile/Handheld Game
  • Downwell
  • Fallout Shelter
  • WINNER: Lara Croft Go
  • Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
  • Pac-Man 256
Best Narrative
  • WINNER: Her Story
  • Life Is Strange
  • Tales From The Borderlands
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Until Dawn
Best Art Direction
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Bloodborne
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  • WINNER: Ori and the Blind Forest
Best Score/Soundtrack
  • Fallout 4
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • WINNER: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Best Performance
  • Ashly Burch as Chloe Price (Life is Strange)
  • Camilla Luddington as Lara Croft (Rise of the Tomb Raider)
  • Doug Cockle as Geralt (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt)
  • Mark Hamill as The Joker (Batman: Arkham Knight)
  • WINNER: Viva Seifert (Her Story)
Games for Change Award
  • Cibele (Nina Freeman)
  • Her Story (Sam Barlow)
  • WINNER: Life Is Strange (DONTNOD Entertainment / Square Enix)
  • Sunset (Tale of Tales)
  • Undertale (tobyfox)
Best Shooter
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
  • Destiny: The Taken King
  • WINNER: Splatoon [Not noted on Gamespot]
  • Star Wars Battlefront
Best Action/Adventure Game
  • Assassin's Creed Syndicate
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • WINNER: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
Best Role Playing Game
  • Bloodborne
  • Fallout 4
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • WINNER: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [Not noted on Gamespot]
  • Undertale
Best Fighting Game
  • Guilty Gear Xrd
  • WINNER: Mortal Kombat X
  • Rise of Incarnates
  • Rising Thunder
Best Family Game
  • Disney Infinity 3.0
  • Lego Dimensions
  • Skylanders: SuperChargers
  • Splatoon
  • WINNER: Super Mario Maker
Best Sports/Racing Game
  • FIFA 16
  • Forza Motorsport 6
  • NBA 2K16
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2016
  • WINNER: Rocket League
Best Multiplayer
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
  • Destiny: The Taken King
  • Rocket League
  • WINNER: Splatoon
Most Anticipated Game
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • WINNER: No Man's Sky
  • Quantum Break
  • The Last Guardian
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Esports / Social Quarantine Zone

Esports Player of the Year

• WINNER: Kenny "KennyS" Schrub
  • Lee "Faker" Sang-hyeok
  • Olof "olofmeister" Kajbjer
  • Peter "ppd" Dager
  • Syed Sumail "Suma1L" Hassan
Esports Team of the Year
  • Evil Geniuses
  • Fnatic
  • WINNER: Optic Gaming
  • SK Telecom T1
  • Team SoloMid
Esports Game of the Year
  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
  • WINNER: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  • Dota 2
  • Hearthstone
  • League of Legends
Trending Gamer
  • Total Biscuit
  • Christopher "MonteCristo" Mykles
  • WINNER: Greg Miller
  • Markiplier
  • PewDiePie
Best Fan Creation
  • GTA V – Targets (Hoodoo Operator)
  • Real GTA (Corridor Digital)
  • WINNER: Portal Stories: Mel (Prism Studios)
  • Super Mario Maker e-Reader Levels (Baddboy78 / theycallmeshaky)
  • Twitch Plays Dark Souls (Twitch Community)

Wingus

Thanks for the list of winners.

Really, really pleased for Her Story and Mario Maker, especially for the actress to be recognised with the Best Performance award.

Both absolutely sublime games! :D

Gotta love Jade Raymond throwing shade at Keifer Sutherland, then immediately got the tables turned by fucking up the award announcement.

Mariolee

The one night that could unite all game lovers and we're all meh about it.

I actually really enjoyed it. Disappointed stuff like Quantum Break, the Batman Telltale game, and some other stuff was mostly cinematics rather than gameplay but things like the Industry Icon awards, the Satoru Iwata tribute, the Psychonauts 2 reveal, Shaq Fu, the Konami callout, etc. I loved it and I've been feeling good vibes from it.

KooopaKid

Banned
What a let down. Worst than last year. The 10 world exclusives were lame and not news worthy. I will not follow this show next year, the "unveilings" are not worth it, clearly the industry has to business/interest in making big announcements in December.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What a let down. Worst than last year. The 10 world exclusives were lame and not news worthy. I will not follow this show next year, the "unveilings" are not worth it, clearly the industry has to business/interest in making big announcements in December.

If you're watching "The Game Awards" primarily for news worthy world exclusive "unveilings" then yes maybe you should bow out and let it exist for reasons beyond December marketing fluff.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Going through the recaps and article, I'm glad I didn't stay up for this. Might make for a nice afternoon/evening watch in another timezone, tough.

Underwhelming premieres too.

Skux

My suggestions as posted in the other thread:

I think the template is pretty good, it's just the execution that needs work.

- Musical acts should be gaming related, at the very least a band should show up and perform a song from a video game. Ideally we'd have the original game composers and/or artists performing music from a game that was released that year. Audiences are going to like music from MGSV over Chvrches and Deadmau5 every single time.

- Get a venue to match your audience size. A small full house always looks better than a half empty stadium.

- Shilling doesn't have to be so obvious. We are fine with sponsors, we're fine with Geoff saying "thanks to AMD and Bethesda etc" and playing ads between the awards and acts, but things like devoting a whole "green room" to AMD and Battlefront and having Justine ask all the guests "Hey have you played Battlefront?" was predictable and brought down the class level of the whole thing.

- Here's a great way to merge advertising and awards: Why not make certain awards sponsored by advertising partners? As long as they avoid obvious conflicts of interest it would be a way to make sponsorship more genuine, more relevant, and have more time to present awards.

- Make the ending memorable. Endings are so important and leave the final impression with viewers. Deadmau5 was a terrible, anticlimactic way to finish and left us confused after Geoff said there'd be one final surprise.

- Have a dress code. People dressed nicely will act nicely. I'm not saying black tie but shirts, jeans, and jandals are definitely not Game Awards material.

Any summary of the announcements and non-award stuff showcased?

Pleasantly surprised that Splatoon won best shooter AND best multiplayer, but Undertale won nothing? Fucking bullshit. It should've won both of those categories handily. Rocket League is great, but it don't hold a candle to Undertale.

How could Hamill not win best performance.

Yes, Her Story was carried by Seifert's performance, but heck, Arkham Knight was carried by Hamill's.

I don't mind spoilers but i'm out of the loop on Arkham Knight. I remember Mark Hamill saying he was done doing voice over for the joker in the batman games at one point? I could be wrong on that but I just remember it being reported before Arkham Knight was released. Was that just a ruse to keep people wondering if he would ever appear in Arkham Knight?

Hmm, Best Art Direction should have gone to Bloodborne, FROM created a greatly disturbing, truely lovecraftian world with Yharnam, the Nightmares and the dungeons.

I had to check twice for Splatoon winning best shooter, unexpected. Splatoon winning two awards is even more unexpected.
I love the game, and it's the best attempt at a new IP from Nintendo since Pikmin (imo), so i'm fine with the game being awarded.
Although in those categories, it's always a hard decision. I guess from all nominees, Splatoon certainly was the "freshest".

GotY Witcher 3 and Best Dev CD Project Red ... well.f*cking.deserved! My personal GotY, too!

Since i wasn't around for the show or the discussion here due to living in Europe and having a job so no staying awake, what's about that discussion about the Iwata tribute?

I don't mind spoilers but i'm out of the loop on Arkham Knight. I remember Mark Hamill saying he was done doing voice over for the joker in the batman games at one point? I could be wrong on that but I just remember it being reported before Arkham Knight was released. Was that just a ruse to keep people wondering if he would ever appear in Arkham Knight?
SPOILERS FOR ARKHAM KNIGHT, DON'T HIGHLIGHT if you have not played the game yet!

Joker reappears as a hallucination, caused by Batman being infected with Joker-Titan-Blood. Think of it as a twisted version of Zelda's Midna, who has a comment, a threat or a sick joke for nearly everything that Batman does or sees in the game.

While cool in the beginning, it was annoying even beyond OoT Navi-levels.

But since i guess that was intended, it was a great performance from Hamill!
SPOILERS END

Ansatz

Just woke up, nothing from Nintendo?

Edit: Just saw the Iwata tribute, very emotional.

Yeah the tribute was great.

I was also disappointed waking up to no news :( still there's TFH DLC and Xenoblade today so I'm all good. Oh and the new Splatoon map. Eventful day!

myco666

Hmm, Best Art Direction should have gone to Bloodborne, FROM created a greatly disturbing, truely lovecraftian world with Yharnam, the Nightmares and the dungeons.

I had to check twice for Splatoon winning best shooter, unexpected. Splatoon winning two awards is even more unexpected.
I love the game, and it's the best attempt at a new IP from Nintendo since Pikmin (imo), so i'm fine with the game being awarded.
Although in those categories, it's always a hard decision. I guess from all nominees, Splatoon certainly was the "freshest".

GotY Witcher 3 and Best Dev CD Project Red ... well.f*cking.deserved! My personal GotY, too!

Since i wasn't around for the show or the discussion here due to living in Europe and having a job so no staying awake, what's about that discussion about the Iwata tribute?

Agreed. There is just so much attention to detail and it is so beautiful and horrifying game. From really out did themselves with BB. However Ori is still a good choice atleast from what I've seen of it.

Lucent

I've never really listened to DeadMaus or whatever, but that performance...it was so bad.

I was watching the event on my xbox one with my friend and his brother through group chat and he was telling me that a lot of DeadMaus' music takes forever to build up and do anything that is crazy. So we were just kinda joking like "well, it did seem like it was going to be some game-inspired music for a minute there...remember when Bowser popped up at the beginning? And now there's Boos." And as it went on "Umm...so he's been laying ground work for a beat for like 5 minutes now. Is he gonna do something cool?" And it just sort of abruptly ended and we kinda just started laughing and were like wow...we were just in shock. I don't understand how he was getting so hyped in his music when it was pretty slow and it sounded like something you could create on Fruity Loops in a few minutes.

But anyway...I think I enjoyed the previous year's awards show more. And the only reveals I thought were really cool was the Tomb Raider DLC, Psychonauts 2 reveal, and Far Cry Primal. Never played a Far Cry game before, but this one looks like one I'll definitely want to try out.

And lastly, the whole Kojima not being able to attend because of a contract thing was dumb. I've never hated a gaming company so much before. I really hope that when he's finally released from Konami completely that he'll really break out and do what he wants to do. But of course never go crazy like Inafune. lol.

I've never really listened to DeadMaus or whatever, but that performance...it was so bad.

I was watching the event on my xbox one with my friend and his brother through group chat and he was telling me that a lot of DeadMaus' music takes forever to build up and do anything that is crazy. So we were just kinda joking like "well, it did seem like it was going to be some game-inspired music for a minute there...remember when Bowser popped up at the beginning? And now there's Boos." And as it went on "Umm...so he's been laying ground work for a beat for like 5 minutes now. Is he gonna do something cool?" And it just sort of abruptly ended and we kinda just started laughing and were like wow...we were just in shock. I don't understand how he was getting so hyped in his music when it was pretty slow and it sounded like something you could create on Fruity Loops in a few minutes.

But anyway...I think I enjoyed the previous year's awards show more. And the only reveals I thought were really cool was the Tomb Raider DLC, Psychonauts 2 reveal, and Far Cry Primal. Never played a Far Cry game before, but this one looks like one I'll definitely want to try out.

And lastly, the whole Kojima not being able to attend because of a contract thing was dumb. I've never hated a gaming company so much before. I really hope that when he's finally released from Konami completely that he'll really break out and do what he wants to do. But of course never go crazy like Inafune. lol.

I was thinking the same thing about the music. I thought it was gonna hit a high point, but that point just never came. I'm not sure why this guy gets hired for gaming events. I guess he must appeal to some people.

My suggestions as posted in the other thread:

I think the template is pretty good, it's just the execution that needs work.

- Musical acts should be gaming related, at the very least a band should show up and perform a song from a video game. Ideally we'd have the original game composers and/or artists performing music from a game that was released that year. Audiences are going to like music from MGSV over Chvrches and Deadmau5 every single time.

- Get a venue to match your audience size. A small full house always looks better than a half empty stadium.

- Shilling doesn't have to be so obvious. We are fine with sponsors, we're fine with Geoff saying "thanks to AMD and Bethesda etc" and playing ads between the awards and acts, but things like devoting a whole "green room" to AMD and Battlefront and having Justine ask all the guests "Hey have you played Battlefront?" was predictable and brought down the class level of the whole thing.

- Here's a great way to merge advertising and awards: Why not make certain awards sponsored by advertising partners? As long as they avoid obvious conflicts of interest it would be a way to make sponsorship more genuine, more relevant, and have more time to present awards.

- Make the ending memorable. Endings are so important and leave the final impression with viewers. Deadmau5 was a terrible, anticlimactic way to finish and left us confused after Geoff said there'd be one final surprise.

- Have a dress code. People dressed nicely will act nicely. I'm not saying black tie but shirts, jeans, and jandals are definitely not Game Awards material.

Agreed. But lets put it this way, if not for AMD and Battlefront, this award show isn't happening. Renting the hall, the video/graphics/techaudio crew/camera work probably cost over a million dollars in of itself. Geoff can't self finance a project like this, especially one that is free to watch and in of itself isn't designed to generate profit, so even if he could self finance that would be financial suicide since I doubt there is any significant rewards.

So the alternative would be to downsize. Get a smaller banquet hall, a good stage, keep the audience small but relavent: with developers and publishers, family close friends only, work with publishers to throw out some world premieres to keep it exciting, and have it be an hour tops with Kyle Bosmon hosting.. All of it would maybe cost less than a million to organize. Strike a streaming deal with twitch, get a few ads sold, hit up a few rich doctor relatives....profit?

Its like they are trying to match the production values of these 70 year awards show in one go. Its best to start small and simple and work your way up. If you go big, you need big money that only big sponsorship deals can provide, which kind of cheapens the prestige of an award event.

Top Bottom