• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 1 on PC; another casualty added to the list of bad ports?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
To be honest that seems to be using the ingame vram graph, which doesnt give the true reading.
I'm playing at 1080p, High settings with a few options on Ultra, and Enviroment textures set to high with all the other texture options set to Ultra, and for me the game goes between 6.7-7.2gb vram usage, depending where i am in the world -

2ry9p1r.jpg
lb9Vy8D.jpg

fcdYQtD.jpg
Why does it look so sterile and bland?
Try enabling film grain maybe. I found on ps5, the game looks really waxy without it. Maybe pc uses better aa though

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I mean yea, it will be all patched, who doubts Naughty Dogs can't crack the PC nut open. It'll be a learning experience for Sony studios in general and should be better and better in the future.

Best day 1 port so far is Returnal
The best was Days Gone by a wide margin. It was perfect out of the gate. Returnal had minor issues such as stutters with RT enabled and slight shader compilation stutters. Launch status of Playstation ports so far:

Top quality: Days Gone

Good quality: Returnal, God of War, Spider-Man, Miles Morales, Death Stranding

Decent quality: Uncharted 4, Sackboy

Poor Quality: Horizon: Zero Dawn, The Last of Us Part I

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The best was Days Gone by a wide margin. It was perfect out of the gate. Returnal had minor issues such as stutters with RT enabled and slight shader compilation stutters. Launch status of Playstation ports so far:

Top quality: Days Gone

Good quality: Returnal, God of War, Spider-Man, Miles Morales, Death Stranding

Decent quality: Uncharted 4, Sackboy

Poor Quality: Horizon: Zero Dawn, The Last of Us Part I
I would put returnal and Death stranding in top quality too.
Days gone had years of patches on ps4/5. They knew this game issues inside and out by that time lol

Stuart360

I know.. I know...
but this game looks really smoooothed out. just give it a go.
And don't underestimate naugdty dog motion blur. best in class on animations and fast moving objects
I have motion blur off but i did try it with motion blur set to 50% and ultra motion blur quality, and it did look nice. I dont hate motion blur like a lot of PC users, but i usually turn it off if i can get 60fps ina game.

Film grain i dont like but i'll give it a try after your suggestion.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Those devs waste more time and resource on making memes than the port inself. Is impressive the amount of gifs that replicate the original meme.
There was a thread about this lmao.

The funny thing is that they must have released like 50 of those meme gifs, but when it came time to fix their dynamic resolution scaling, they straight up refused to do it and took it out altogether. This after confirming it in pre-release media.

But nope, instead of fixing DRS, they straight up took out the 40 fps mode and all mention of DRS from the settings and 6 months later still havent fixed it. ND is just a joke now. Glad to see they are being memed. Justice For Amy.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have motion blur off but i did try it with motion blur set to 50% and ultra motion blur quality, and it did look nice. I dont hate motion blur like a lot of PC users, but i usually turn it off if i can get 60fps ina game.

Film grain i dont like but i'll give it a try after your suggestion.
nice to see that you are willing to at least try.
Most pc users turn motion blur off right away since the day gta 3 came out lol. These days are long gone!
With 60fps, I would be happy to just disable camera motion blur and leave objects/animations motion blur on but most games dont give that option.
Good implementation of motion blur AUTOMATICALLY should be less visible and increase shutter speed, the more fps you have. Doom 2016 does just that. At high fps, motion blur just goes away naturally

Stooky

There was a thread about this lmao.

The funny thing is that they must have released like 50 of those meme gifs, but when it came time to fix their dynamic resolution scaling, they straight up refused to do it and took it out altogether. This after confirming it in pre-release media.

But nope, instead of fixing DRS, they straight up took out the 40 fps mode and all mention of DRS from the settings and 6 months later still havent fixed it. ND is just a joke now. Glad to see they are being memed. Justice For Amy.
It’s really funny because making an animated meme has nothing to do porting a game code. You are blaming an animator for bad code lol

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned
Why does it look so sterile and bland?
Try enabling film grain maybe. I found on ps5, the game looks really waxy without it. Maybe pc uses better aa though
Film grain adds some weird distracting blotches when i tried it.

Thought it was smudges / dirt spots on my monitor

Fake

It’s really funny because making an animated meme has nothing to do porting a game code. You are blaming an animator for bad code lol

Devs already said on the twitter that they make gifs for promoving the game.

You must missed the GoW era. I remember devs being pretty open about that. I talk with GoW director on resetera when GoW start to get loads of high rate reviews. They (resetera staff) even edit the resetera logo with Kratos Leviatan.

Anw, nothing is for free.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah the animators had time to make all those Gifs instead of animating dodge, prone, melee and other takedown animations they had added for Ellie and Abby in part 2 but didn’t bother reanimating for Joel.

Its about studio culture. You have some devs who are having fun while other devs are cutting features that were literally marketed beforehand. Doesnt matter which devs were in charge. The studio gets the blame for fuckups and its not a good look to have that many gifs made by a studio. 1 or 2 is fine but the internet was flooded with these cringeworthy gifs.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah the animators had time to make all those Gifs instead of animating dodge, prone, melee and other takedown animations they had added for Ellie and Abby in part 2 but didn’t bother reanimating for Joel.

Its about studio culture. You have some devs who are having fun while other devs are cutting features that were literally marketed beforehand. Doesnt matter which devs were in charge. The studio gets the blame for fuckups and its not a good look to have that many gifs made by a studio. 1 or 2 is fine but the internet was flooded with these cringeworthy gifs.
yeah this is disappointing how little they did for tlou remake.... it's honestly just graphics. I wished for more. The game feels and looks like a downgrade after tlou2. It still is fantastic of course but it could've been so much more as a remake

Stooky

It’s about studio culture. You have some devs who are having fun while other devs are cutting features that were literally marketed beforehand. Doesnt matter which devs were in charge. The studio gets the blame for fuckups and it’s not a good look to have that many gifs made by a studio. 1 or 2 is fine but the internet was flooded with these cringeworthy gifs.
Again not animators responsibility, that’s game director and design decisions. Has nothing to do with studio culture. I swear y’all just be making shit up lol

Stooky

You must missed the GoW era. I remember devs being pretty open about that. I talk with GoW director on resetera when GoW start to get loads of high rate reviews. They (resetera staff) even edit the resetera logo with Kratos Leviatan.

Gifs are usually made when the game has gone gold meaning artist aren’t doing work on the game anymore (pencils down) I didn’t miss that GOW era. Had been in the 1st party industry a full 3 years before the first GOW dropped. I currently work with a lot people that worked on GOW series.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've been watching The happy hob. He is a souls speedrunner and a complete tech noob. He got sponsored by amd with 7900xtx to play tlou.
And as always, the first thing in chat is people screaming to turn off motion blur and depth of field.... Fucking hell this is triggering me so much.
They don't even try it, the game is made with these options in mind (especially dof for cutscenes) and it's not like they could tell motion blur is even on from the shitty stream quality.
I am of an opinion that motion blur is an amazing effect when done well and it is still needed even at 60fps. We need like 240+fps to naturally replace it.
The vocal pcmr idiots disable it AND I BET THEY DONT EVEN KNOW WHY. "oh it's some blur and blur is bad". No clue what they are doing. Why they are doing it and what it does... Maybe they remember it looking bad 15 years ago but probably not. It's just cool and "more tech savvy" to disable these effects.
I don't know why it's triggering me so much. I disable some of these stuff myself too (rare but game per game basis) but these people are so loud about it and so obnoxious. The whole chat was full of "TURN OF MOTION BLUR" sheep

edit: seriously. The motion on screen does not create natural motion blur like real life motion. You need to support it if you don't have hundreds of frames and pictures (frames) do just that with shutter seed. Each 16ms frame should contain 16ms of movement data in it to covey the motion.
And these people dont differentite camera motion blur, object, per pixel... it's all the same for them

edit2: that aside, he is playing on ultra 1080p and the game stutters like crazy+ loading mid game lol. Ruins the intro. The game freezes for seconds lol
1:48 onwards and the people are so clueless they tell him to turn vsync off.... on a 60fps stream.... christ. The game is in borderless windows anyway

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I've been watching The happy hob. He is a souls speedrunner and a complete tech noob. He got sponsored by amd with 7900xtx to play tlou.
And as always, the first thing in chat is people screaming to turn off motion blur and depth of field.... Fucking hell this is triggering me so much.
They don't even try it, the game is made with these options in mind (especially dof for cutscenes) and it's not like they could tell motion blur is even on from the shitty stream quality.
I am of an opinion that motion blur is an amazing effect when done well and it is still needed even at 60fps. We need like 240+fps to naturally replace it.
The vocal pcmr idiots disable it AND I BET THEY DONT EVEN KNOW WHY. "oh it's some blur and blur is bad". No clue what they are doing. Why they are doing it and what it does... Maybe they remember it looking bad 15 years ago but probably not. It's just cool and "more tech savvy" to disable these effects.
I don't know why it's triggering me so much. I disable some of these stuff myself too (rare but game per game basis) but these people are so loud about it and so obnoxious. The whole chat was full of "TURN OF MOTION BLUR" sheep

edit: seriously. The motion on screen does not create natural motion blur like real life motion. You need to support it if you don't have hundreds of frames and pictures (frames) do just that with shutter seed. Each 16ms frame should contain 16ms of movement data in it to covey the motion.
And these people dont differentite camera motion blur, object, per pixel... it's all the same for them

edit2: that aside, he is playing on ultra 1080p and the game stutters like crazy+ loading mid game lol. Ruins the intro. The game freezes for seconds lol
1:48 onwards and the people are so clueless they tell him to turn vsync off.... on a 60fps stream.... christ. The game is in borderless windows anyway

k

zN59paa.jpg

ShaikhCroft

My Steam version can't run the game with my RX 480 8GB DDR3, 20GB RAM and i7 7700! Thought the minimum requirement was RX 470 but never can go past 8% rendering shadow!

Another mess from Iron Galaxy. Maybe someday they gonna fix this. :(

Guilty_AI

such brave
so pcmr
very sheep
Nah, probably less pcmr than you. Motion blur looks good and cinematic, i'll give you that much.

Too bad it makes me nauseous. It hurts just trying to follow stuff with my eyes, like my retinas are dislocating.

Motion-Blur.gif

Its less noticeable at higher fps, but at that point it also feels kind useless.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

I prefer motion blur at 60fps over no motion blur or motion blur at 30fps. Ultimately I can live with or without it. Just leaving a comment to let you know I respect the passion on display here lol.

Woggleman

I always turn motion blur off if there is an option especially if there is 60 FPS. It just doesn't look right to me. Film grain also gets turned off but I don't mind it if it is not overdone.

Guilty_AI

I always turn motion blur off if there is an option especially if there is 60 FPS. It just doesn't look right to me. Film grain also gets turned off but I don't mind it if it is not overdone.
Also head bobbing and low fov on FPS. For people like me who get headaches easily, those effects comes straight from hell lol.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Nah man that's actually the best case scenario! Perfect balance of fluidity and realism
Its more a scenario "i don't care either way". It can be good to mask some blemishes like micro-stutters or tearing, and i've seen some games where it even works as an extra layer of AA.
In some cases i leave it on, usually on the weakest setting possible like when i can only play something at 30-40 fps. But if the game performs and plays well enough i tend to just turn it off.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
It makes 0 sense why they released the game in this state. It's not like ND needs the money right away. So either they did the math and determined that they could get away with the day 1 sales before the reviews came out, or their QA process is completely shit. Naughty Dog does not have a shit QA team, so they threw this out there knowing it was shit to take advantage of the momentum from the TV series.

Greedy, and disappointing.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The benefit of PC gaming is that gamers can choose how to enjoy their games. Your constant belittling because someone prefers different settings shows just how juvenile you are.
That’s not why. You can and could turn these off on console too.
I don’t think people disable some of this of their free will. They might think so but they are controlled by general public and misinformed very often.
Having preferences is perfect. Missing out straight out before it is popular to dismiss these settings is other thing.
There are people who daily shit on this stuff and they have not enabled the option for last decade. They are only following a trend.
It’s beating a dead horse anyway. I am not going to change anyone’s mind.
If you think I am juvenile because I recommend some of best naughty dog visual effects? You can think that. I am just more informed than others in that case.
It’s not counter strike. You are not popping headshots 360 no scope. It’s a story driven game.

Pedro Motta

Oh man after playing for a couple of hours I'm so impressed by this game running at 4K 60fps, one of the best looking game on PC right now.

aWqt0kV.jpg

usrpgWI.jpg

rdBq0q1.jpg

hzwmXIV.jpg

yDUhcWO.jpg

5CHjrid.jpg

Even the HDR on windows works and looks gorgeous.
The stills are a bit different from that I see with HDR.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
nice to see that you are willing to at least try.
Most pc users turn motion blur off right away since the day gta 3 came out lol. These days are long gone!
With 60fps, I would be happy to just disable camera motion blur and leave objects/animations motion blur on but most games dont give that option.
Good implementation of motion blur AUTOMATICALLY should be less visible and increase shutter speed, the more fps you have. Doom 2016 does just that. At high fps, motion blur just goes away naturally
While playing A Plague Tale Requiem I discovered how much better the game looked without Motion Blur while rotating the camera, but I couldn't see any other option to disable it on the camera and leave it on objects which would be my sweet spot... Is it called any different or devs just put both together as "Motion blur" save for some that split them on separate options?

Aenima

Is not "DEVS". Its 1 or more animators from the team that does the reaction gifs in they spare time, usually when the game is in its polishing stage and animators already finished they job. You dont have a coder making gifs.

NaughtyDog talked about this when they did the Joel/Banderas gif.

Last edited:

Fake

Is not "DEVS". Its 1 or more animators from the team that does the reaction gifs in they spare time, usually when the game is in its polishing stage and animators already finished they job. You dont have a coder making gifs.

NaughtyDog talked about this when they did the Joel/Banderas gif.

They are all part of ND my dude... and making those memes are not free btw.

PC gamers looks for motion clarity. It's why pixel response times is THE key performance metric for gaming monitors. We want to see minimum blur in motion preferably with minimal ghosting. I think motion blur (at least the way it's implemented in most games) goes against this key tenet. I think most people won't mind high quality object motion blur, but what we mostly see is just camera motion blur. If Devs start adding toggles seperate toggles for camera and object motion blur, you would find more people would use object at least. Camera blur gets turned off a vast majority of the time.

Hoddi

I'm getting pretty decent performance at 1440p high settings on my 2080 Ti. It's clearly very memory intensive but I don't think the port itself is too bad.

I still had to disable my secondary monitor to free up memory though. 11GB is cutting it very close which I don't find too surprising given its roots. It's basically an AC Unity scenario for this console gen.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

So what's going on? Maybe I missed it but I just looked up the specs and they are pretty damn low. An RX470 for gods sake, I wouldn't have guessed that.

I'm almost curious enough but I've played this three times and I'm not buying again.
eFY1bWy.jpg

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
This only serves to show that.... if they can fix many major problems in 2 fucking days... why not do it before release?!
They clearly did not needed months of optimizing. Only a few days to iron out some glaring issues apparently ?!
This.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
If you think I am juvenile because I recommend some of best naughty dog visual effects?

If you are under the impression that I think you are juvenile for recommending settings, well, that speaks more to your intelligence than anything.

The name calling, such as calling someone a sheep, when they disagree with you is why I said you are juvenile. That should have been abundantly clear based on the post I quoted. In my opinion, you have some piss-poor tastes when it comes to settings for PC games. You're entitled to your opinion, but stop pretending that you're enlightened and that everyone else are plebs.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If you are under the impression that I think you are juvenile for recommending settings, well, that speaks more to your intelligence than anything.

The name calling, such as calling someone a sheep, when they disagree with you is why I said you are juvenile. That should have been abundantly clear based on the post I quoted. In my opinion, you have some piss-poor tastes when it comes to settings for PC games. You're entitled to your opinion, but stop pretending that you're enlightened and that everyone else are plebs.
People follow popular internet trends without a 2nd thought but I am an idiot with bad tastes for thinking with myself.
I had almost 30 years to work on my “pc taste” whatever it means man. I can’t believe the shit I am reading here sometimes.

Thebonehead

Banned
Imagine a world in which you work with iron galaxy on a bad port and it's not them that are the culprit.

Beginning to think ND saw the state of things and brought them in as a patsy last minute.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Imagine a world in which you work with iron galaxy on a bad port and it's not them that are the culprit.

Beginning to think ND saw the state of things and brought them in as a patsy last minute.

Almost makes sense.

The original system requirement picture they released didn't have "Iron Galaxy" on it, but the revised system requirement picture they released had Iron Galaxy stamped on it.

Which almost lines up w/ Iron Galaxy saying they only helped Naughty Dog at the last minute to launch it. Sony had to of known about it but didn't want to delay it again to take advantage of popularity from the show. So it's purely on Sony & ND.

But I digress. What's done is done & ND is seemingly pretty fast so far w/ patches. I'm sure all the diagnostic data from 1000's of different configs is helping w/ that as this is essentially their first PC game developed/ported in-house since the 80's.

Braag

It’s honestly not that bad of a port. It certainly has issues that are being addressed, but I do think there’s some overreacting.
Arkham Knight was particularly bad cause it lacked some simple graphical features like rain dripping from Batman's suit and vehicle and some other small graphical stuff which the consoles had but were missing on PC. Also it was impossible to brute force that game to run 100% smoothly with the hardware of the time. It had to be taken off shelves and WB pretty much re-did the port.
TLoU isn't from my knowledge missing anything from the PS5 version. It runs terribly but can still be brute forced with high end GPUs with a lot of vram.
Still, that doesn't mean that the port is competent in any way and Naughty Dog needs to get to patching asap.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member

This is the craziest port I’ve seen in a while. What were they thinking?

Damn, that's such a lack of VRAM, RAM and $3k of manyflops not spent there... It's definitelly not the port, PC players complaining blah blah, they should get a PS5... /s

Top Bottom