• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part 1 on PC; another casualty added to the list of bad ports?

clarky

Gold Member
One thing I am impressed by is that Naughty Dog has released two patches in two days. This is the kind of behavior that I expect from developers (especially non-Indie developers) when they first release a game. They didn't just release the game and then go on vacation for a few weeks. The patches have rolled in far quicker than Guerilla Games' patches with Horizon Zero Dawn.
LOL.

How about you don t release a game that's fucked and runs like crap?

These devs should not be praised for releasing a sub standard product then try and apply duct tape afterwards.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
To all the 4k doesnt impact vram crowd. lol.

BTW, medium textures in this game are really bad and not the same as PS5 textures. Just turn down the resolution. Medium is fully of blurry and incomplete textures. Shouldve been labeled low. 9.6 GB vram usage for those awful textures at 1080p is a fucking joke.

Screenshot10.png

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well I keep getting the bug where everyone’s suddenly dripping wet for no reason lol.

For some reason I’m seeing the usual update notification, though. Was the update somehow applied automatically, or do I have to reinstall?
You lack VRAM, if you're gonna complain about a game not running well on your PCMR you should make sure it's at least 5 times more powerful than the glorious PS5, remember, there are no bad ports, it's just PC players not wanting to spend 2k more on their 4k builds, they should just buy a PS5... /s

I'd swear some here are arguing like that 😂

Now being serious... god damn, I this port is getting into Batman: Arkham Knight initial PC port in my mind, it's just not a bad port, it's one of the worst ports that could make it any top 10, wtf?

JMarcell

the port is so bad that it does'nt matter which graphic setting I choose, it gives me almost the same FPS on Low and Ultra! Playing on Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 3060 12GB at 1080p and the framerate drops from 60 to 40 at the most demanding scenarios.

Last edited:

Stuart360

To all the 4k doesnt impact vram crowd. lol.

BTW, medium textures in this game are really bad and not the same as PS5 textures. Just turn down the resolution. Medium is fully of blurry and incomplete textures. Shouldve been labeled low. 9.6 GB vram usage for those awful textures at 1080p is a fucking joke.

Screenshot10.png
To be honest that seems to be using the ingame vram graph, which doesnt give the true reading.
I'm playing at 1080p, High settings with a few options on Ultra, and Enviroment textures set to high with all the other texture options set to Ultra, and for me the game goes between 6.7-7.2gb vram usage, depending where i am in the world -

2ry9p1r.jpg
lb9Vy8D.jpg

fcdYQtD.jpg

IFireflyl

Gold Member
LOL.

How about you don t release a game that's fucked and runs like crap?

These devs should not be praised for releasing a sub standard product then try and apply duct tape afterwards.

My game runs nearly perfectly. I'm on my second playthrough. I have seen far worse releases with far more time before fixes were pushed out, and with far less communication from developers. Naughty Dog is doing a great job here in respect to other damaged releases that took longer to get development to work on the necessary fixes. I can praise what I want to praise. Sorry you're salty.

SlimySnake

depending where i am in the world -
Yeah, thats the key. The screenshot i posted is from the hardware unboxed video which goes through an foliage heavy area at the very start of Bill's Town. He found that it was the place where the VRAM was impacted the most.

His results show the actual vram usage as well as what the game recommends. As you can see, in that particular area the game exceeds the suggested vram usage.

My VRAM usage was 8.7 GB in the very first boston QZ area. You should be able to reload that section from chapter select. Also, 4k adds 2GB to the vram over 1080p. Your 1080 Ti is basically equivalent to the PS5 in rasterization performance, probably a bit better seeing as how it hits 2 GHz on your card. That would make it a 14 tflops card. So for it to be performing so much worse than a 10 tflops PS5 is kinda troubling no?

Screenshot10.png

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You lack VRAM, if you're gonna complain about a game not running well on your PCMR you should make sure it's at least 5 times more powerful than the glorious PS5, remember, there are no bad ports, it's just PC players not wanting to spend 2k more on their 4k builds, they should just buy a PS5... /s

Now being serious... god damn, I this port is getting into Batman: Arkham Knight initial PC port in my mind, it's just not a bad port, it's one of the worst ports that could make it any top 10, wtf?

It’s honestly not that bad of a port. It certainly has issues that are being addressed, but I do think there’s some overreacting.

SlimySnake

the port is so bad that it does'nt matter which graphic setting I choose, it gives me almost the same FPS on Low and Ultra! Playing on Ryzen 5 3600 + RTX 3060 12GB at 1080p and the framerate drops from 60 to 40 at the most demanding scenarios.
I think changing settings in game is broken. Try changing settings then quit out the game and come back in.

Even restarting checkpoints causes my framerates to go all over the place.

The game is also very taxing on my 8 core 16 thread 11700k and runs at roughly 4.8 ghz at all times with each thread running at 75% capacity. I think your 3600 is only 6 cores 12 threads and probably tops out at 4-4.2 ghz, right? Could also be that.

Definitely an exceptionally poor port. At least Hogwarts, Gotham KNights, and RE4 ran smooth after turning off RT. This game doesnt even have RT and just stutters simply when turning the camera around or changing settings.

SlimySnake

It’s honestly not that bad of a port. It certainly has issues that are being addressed, but I do think there’s some overreacting.
Nah, it is really really bad. I crash almost all the time when quitting out to the menu. Like ive done it 5 times now and its crashed 4 times.

Changing settings can get my fps to crash to 4 fps! 4!

Restarting checkpoints will make my 4k 60 fps dlss game and turn it into a 4k 35-40 fps game. Even if you go down to DLSS Performance, which is 1080p, you will get stutters and frame drops. But if you quit out of the game and come back in, it might be fine until something happens and everything goes to shit again.

Literally turning camera around can cause massive stutters. And Im using a controller.

Im no fan of outrage culture, but this is one game that deserves all the outrage.

Stuart360

Yeah, thats the key. The screenshot i posted is from the hardware unboxed video which goes through an foliage heavy area at the very start of Bill's Town. He found that it was the place where the VRAM was impacted the most.

His results show the actual vram usage as well as what the game recommends. As you can see, in that particular area the game exceeds the suggested vram usage.

My VRAM usage was 8.7 GB in the very first boston QZ area. You should be able to reload that section from chapter select. Also, 4k adds 2GB to the vram over 1080p. Your 1080 Ti is basically equivalent to the PS5 in rasterization performance, probably a bit better seeing as how it hits 2 GHz on your card. That would make it a 14 tflops card. So for it to be performing so much worse than a 10 tflops PS5 is kinda troubling no?

Screenshot10.png
Oh the game is heavy, no doubt about it. I mean look at how my 3700x is being blasted (although i have noticed cpu usage is higher in settlements with npc's), even Cyberpunk before patches didnt use as much cpu.
I'm not trying to defend this port in any way, i'm just saying that at least for me the ingame vram graph is a lot higher than actually what the game uses, as Rivatunr is showing.
And i have been through areas with a lot of trees and foliage, and yes vram does go up but 7.2gb is the highest i have seen it so far.

Also i doubt PS5 is using a mixture of Hugh and Ultra for all its settings, like i am. But yes the port isnt good, so PS5 may well be blowing away similar speced PC's with this port.
Alex DF vid on the PC/PS5 comparison will be interesting in tersm of settings PS5 is using.

Edit. Also i agree 100% with yuo on the textures, the textures on medium and especuially low are way too shit to be using as much vram as they are. Something is seriously wrong with this port in terms of vram imo.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nah, it is really really bad. I crash almost all the time when quitting out to the menu. Like ive done it 5 times now and its crashed 4 times.

Restarting checkpoints will make my 4k 60 fps dlss game and turn it into a 4k 35-40 fps game. Even if you go down to DLSS Performance, which is 1080p, you will get stutters and frame drops. But if you quit out of the game and come back in, it might be fine until something happens and everything goes to shit again.

Literally turning camera around can cause massive stutters. And Im using a controller.

Im no fan of outrage culture, but this is one game that deserves all the outrage.

That’s nuts. Is this regardless of settings?

SlimySnake

Oh the game is heavy, no doubt about it. I mean look at how my 3700x is being blasted (although i have noticed cpu usage is higher in settlements with npc's), even Cyberpunk before patches didnt use as much cpu.
I'm not trying to defend this port in any way, i'm just saying that at least for me the ingame vram graph is a lot higher than actually what the game uses, as Rivatunr is showing.
And i have been through areas with a lot of trees and foliage, and yes vram does go up but 7.2gb is the highest i have seen it so far.

Also i doubt PS5 is using a mixture of Hugh and Ultra for all its settings, like i am. But yes the port isnt good, so PS5 may well be blowing away similar speced PC's with this port.
Alex DF vid on the PC/PS5 comparison will be interesting in tersm of settings PS5 is using.

Edit. Also i agree 100% with yuo on the textures, the textures on medium and especuially low are way too shit to be using as much vram as they are. Something is seriously wrong with this port in terms of vram imo.
I posted high and ultra benchmarks here a couple of days ago, difference is roughly 15-20%. What we are seeing is a more than 100% difference between PS5 and PC high settings which makes no sense. Medium looks awful, there is no way PS5 is using medium textures. Its probably just doing high. I guess we will have to wait for Alex.

And yeah, cyberpunk was the only game that pushed my CPU this high, but that made sense since it was open world, running RT, and lots of NPCs. I was in a back alleyway in TLOU and the CPU was hitting 70% lmao. I woudnt be surprised if they are doing some dumb shit in this game like emulating it instead of natively running it on PC. Remember, this was a PS3 game that got a visual upgrade. The game code under it is mostly the same. They added some TLOU2 AI enhancements but other than that, it is the same exact game. kinda like the demon souls and sotc ports running the PS3 game code under the fancy graphics engine. It should not be pegging modern CPUs like this.

That’s nuts. Is this regardless of settings?
yeah, like the guy who I replied to suggested, it doesnt matter if you change settings from ultra to low. game will still drop frames randomly. I have tried changing resolutions to 1440p myself, have gone from native 4k to dlss quality all the way down to performance and i just cant get a consistent benchmarks. simply restarting the checkpoint causes issues.

Kataploom

Gold Member

Maybe the user is right, you can at least brute force this game, which isn't ideal at all, Batman Arkham Knight had serious graphicall and collision bugs, but yeah, my point stands, this port is not just "a bad port", it's one of those specially bad

JRW

Not sure why Naughty Dog chose Iron Galaxy to do the port after the whole Batman AK fiasco, Batman port was so bad Steam removed it from the store for awhile lol. At least they eventually got it running well after numerous patches.

Last edited:

Senua

Not sure why Naughty Dog chose Iron Galaxy to do the port after the whole Batman AK fiasco, Batman port was so bad Steam removed it from the store for awhile lol. At least they eventually got it running well after numerous patches.
They're probably quite cheap, but maaaan it's insane they'd use them for such a huge release

Kvally

Banned
According to ND, ND did the port.

SlimySnake

They're probably quite cheap, but maaaan it's insane they'd use them for such a huge release
Iron Galaxy did Uncharted. ND did this themselves.

Uncharted had issues but it was not as bad as this. Iron Galaxy wouldve probably done a better job porting this than ND.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Well, that is a good question. Maybe with PlayStation? Another person in a forum said that they did PC games before they became a PS studio. I can't confirm.
They did but that was back in the late 80s to early 90s. 99% if not 100% of the staff from that time is probably gone by now.

clarky

Gold Member
My game runs nearly perfectly. I'm on my second playthrough. I have seen far worse releases with far more time before fixes were pushed out, and with far less communication from developers. Naughty Dog is doing a great job here in respect to other damaged releases that took longer to get development to work on the necessary fixes. I can praise what I want to praise. Sorry you're salty.
Spec's?

Woggleman

I don't get why ND did such a poor job of this since their console releases are always released in tip top condition from day one. Is it that much harder to develop for PC than it is console?

SlimySnake

Iron galaxy worked on Last of Us as well it's all over google results.
they helped. Thats all. This is done by ND. They admitted it. They told Journalists they did it themselves. Iron Galaxy told Jeff Gettersman they only helped a little bit.

We have posted quotes several times in this thread. Lets stop blaming Iron Galaxy for ND's fuck ups.

JRW

they helped. Thats all. This is done by ND. They admitted it. They told Journalists they did it themselves. Iron Galaxy told Jeff Gettersman they only helped a little bit.

We have posted quotes several times in this thread. Lets stop blaming Iron Galaxy for ND's fuck ups.
Ah I was going by info via google results but ill take your word for it, hopefully they can get the game patched up sooner than later.

SlimySnake

I don't get why ND did such a poor job of this since their console releases are always released in tip top condition from day one. Is it that much harder to develop for PC than it is console?
They delayed TLOU2 3 times. Once internally (it was originally a 2019 game) then twice publicly in 2020. Making video games is hard.

The reason why ND and other Sony first party games used to ship with so much polish was because Sony cared about the quality of their products. Since first party games are essentially advertisements for your console. Games like God of War 2018 and Uncharted 4 were delayed by over 6 months to slow months like April and May in an era when third parties were rushing out broken games during the holiday season. ND and other first party devs just had more time than your average third party developer didnt. Everyone knows how buggy these games are. They all play them everyday. This is not a surprise to anyone internally. They just needed more time, but Sony wanted this out by the end of this fiscal year because they are different company now and they care more about profits and revenue. Jimbo had told his investors that they were going to make $300 million in revenue from first party sales this year, and after seeing every game other than Spiderman essentially flop, i bet he thought pushing a big IP like TLOU would get them closer to that number.

Thankfully they are still willing to delay their games on consoles so I guess they do care about their reputation on consoles at least. With ND now doing simulataneous PC and PS5 development, expect more shoddy ports and products from them. They are talented but now they can no longer rely on infinitely delaying the product until its ready. They have to play by the same rules as all other third party devs.

octiny

Banned
Good stuff. What model of 6800 XT did you use?

Nothing special as I can only fit true 2 slot cards. 99% of 6800 XT's are 2.5+ slot cards.

Dellided 13700K running bare die (no IHS) on a AXP-90 X36 w/ 92mm Noctua fan (from L9i) & 3mm foam fan duct to minimize turbulence & increase pure air flow to the die.

6800 XT (Dell OEM 2 slot version, only true 2 slot there is for the 6800 XT) has been repasted w/ liquid metal & repadded w/ 15 W/mK thermal pads.

SlimySnake

Ah I was going by info via google results but ill take your word for it, hopefully they can get the game patched up sooner than later.
No need to take my word for it.

Here is the interview where Dave Lang talks about helping out with the port just a couple of days ago, but i dont have the timestamp. EDIT: 2 minutes in. He says we did a little bit helping out ND get the PC version out today.

Last edited:

GustavoLT

3080ti 5800x 32gb here, 4K ultra DLSS quality, played until Ellie is detected as an infected, not a smooth gameplay, sometimes gets a mix of slowdown and stutter... seems to be an engine problem, nothing fixed (even turning down options) it´s playable most of the time over 60fps!

Thebonehead

Banned
Dellided 13700K running bare die (no IHS) on a AXP-90 X36 w/ 92mm Noctua fan (from L9i) & 3mm foam fan duct to minimize turbulence & increase pure air flow to the die.
That's really a really tiny heatsink, but considering the size of the build makes sense.

Impressed with the temps you are getting. What rpms is that Noctura spinning at?

octiny

Banned
That's really a really tiny heatsink, but considering the size of the build makes sense.

Impressed with the temps you are getting. What rpms is that Noctura spinning at?

Indeed, but is the best 37mm & under cooler (L9i is worse), my max height limit is 37mm. Gain another 1mm from Noctua fan switch (15mm to 14mm) which helps allows for foam fan duct which then further cools it by 3-4c under load. Running bare die is where the temp gains originate, 17c-19c drop from stock (only 11c w/ delid keeping IHS). Fan stays between 800-1500 rpm under light to medium loads, heavy loads (rendering etc) can reach 2400rpm (max rpm). It's a quiet fan, one of Noctua's best engineered fans imo.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

Irrelevant as I'm not getting into a debate with you over a subjective matter. The main, non-debatable thesis of my post was that I can provide praise whenever I want to. Naughty Dog, for all their faults with this port, have taken immediate action to correct their mistakes. I, personally, have had very few issues. By contrast, when Horizon Zero Dawn came out I couldn't play more than 10-30 minutes at a time before the game would crash, and that was something that a vast majority of people encountered. The first patch for the game came out after a week, and crashes were still prominent. In fact, crashes were still prominent in that game until patch 1.0.6, and that came out October 13th of 2020. For reference, the game was released on August 7th of 2020. That was over two months of crashes, and spanned through 6 patches. This is the timeline for Horizon Zero Dawn's patches:

August 7th - Game released
August 14th - Patch 1.0.1 released
August 19th - Patch 1.0.2 released
August 31st - Patch 1.0.3 released
September 7th - Patch 1.0.4 released
September 16th - Patch 1.0.5 released
October 13th - Patch 1.0.6 released

The quickest turnaround time for a patch in this timeframe is the days from August 14th and August 19th. By comparison, this is the timeline for The Last of Us Part 1 (thus far):

March 28th - Game released
March 29th - Patch 1.0.1.5 released
March 30th - Patch 1.0.1.6 released

That is already a much better track record for communication and support than I had with Guerrilla Games in regards to Horizon Zero Dawn. I feel that that is praise worthy. I never said Naughty Dog should be praised for releasing a game with issues. I said the part that they deserve credit for is responding so quickly to feedback. Other developers (not just Guerrilla Games) have really shit the bed in this area, and I am pleased to see that Naughty Dog got to work on patching the game immediately.

Buggy Loop

I mean yea, it will be all patched, who doubts Naughty Dogs can't crack the PC nut open. It'll be a learning experience for Sony studios in general and should be better and better in the future.

Best day 1 port so far is Returnal

Stooky

I posted high and ultra benchmarks here a couple of days ago, difference is roughly 15-20%. What we are seeing is a more than 100% difference between PS5 and PC high settings which makes no sense. Medium looks awful, there is no way PS5 is using medium textures. Its probably just doing high. I guess we will have to wait for Alex.

And yeah, cyberpunk was the only game that pushed my CPU this high, but that made sense since it was open world, running RT, and lots of NPCs. I was in a back alleyway in TLOU and the CPU was hitting 70% lmao. I woudnt be surprised if they are doing some dumb shit in this game like emulating it instead of natively running it on PC. Remember, this was a PS3 game that got a visual upgrade. The game code under it is mostly the same. They added some TLOU2 AI enhancements but other than that, it is the same exact game. kinda like the demon souls and sotc ports running the PS3 game code under the fancy graphics engine. It should not be pegging modern CPUs like this.
It’s not a ps3 game. It doesn’t share any code with ps3. If anything it was built from tlou2 code.

Guilty_AI

I mean yea, it will be all patched, who doubts Naughty Dogs can't crack the PC nut open. It'll be a learning experience for Sony studios in general and should be better and better in the future.

Best day 1 port so far is Returnal
Days Gone too from what i remember, both UE games.

Kinda ironic considering these both had troubled console releases.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Irrelevant as I'm not getting into a debate with you over a subjective matter. The main, non-debatable thesis of my post was that I can provide praise whenever I want to. Naughty Dog, for all their faults with this port, have taken immediate action to correct their mistakes. I, personally, have had very few issues. By contrast, when Horizon Zero Dawn came out I couldn't play more than 10-30 minutes at a time before the game would crash, and that was something that a vast majority of people encountered. The first patch for the game came out after a week, and crashes were still prominent. In fact, crashes were still prominent in that game until patch 1.0.6, and that came out October 13th of 2020. For reference, the game was released on August 7th of 2020. That was over two months of crashes, and spanned through 6 patches. This is the timeline for Horizon Zero Dawn's patches:

August 7th - Game released
August 14th - Patch 1.0.1 released
August 19th - Patch 1.0.2 released
August 31st - Patch 1.0.3 released
September 7th - Patch 1.0.4 released
September 16th - Patch 1.0.5 released
October 13th - Patch 1.0.6 released

The quickest turnaround time for a patch in this timeframe is the days from August 14th and August 19th. By comparison, this is the timeline for The Last of Us Part 1 (thus far):

March 28th - Game released
March 29th - Patch 1.0.1.5 released
March 30th - Patch 1.0.1.6 released

That is already a much better track record for communication and support than I had with Guerrilla Games in regards to Horizon Zero Dawn. I feel that that is praise worthy. I never said Naughty Dog should be praised for releasing a game with issues. I said the part that they deserve credit for is responding so quickly to feedback. Other developers (not just Guerrilla Games) have really shit the bed in this area, and I am pleased to see that Naughty Dog got to work on patching the game immediately.
This only serves to show that.... if they can fix many major problems in 2 fucking days... why not do it before release?!
They clearly did not needed months of optimizing. Only a few days to iron out some glaring issues apparently ?!

Top Bottom