• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thespian God Jared Leto Met with Psychopaths/Murderers for Joker;Stopped Source Mat.s

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathyBoy

Banned
This stories from Jared Leto feels like a parody of Heath Ledgers method acting.

Were there lots of Heath threads prior to TDK? I feel like Gaf lost out if there weren't countless 'LOL FUCK HEATH LEDGER FOR PUTTING EFFORT IN' threads that got increasingly childish.

David Ayer encourages this behavior and the stories around Fury are...illuminating.

It is what it is. Actors have their process. Can't all read lines off a baby, Brando-style.

CloudWolf

Jared Leto sounds like such a tryhard. Which is a shame, because I like him as an actor. He's great in Fight Club, American Psycho and Mr. Nobody.

He should read the words on the page and I don't know.....act.

Anthony Hopkins on method acting
“It’s a pain in the a**. Who the hell wants to be with some miserable grump because he wants to get his performance right, so you have to call him this or call him that? It’s so boring. I’ve been with actors like that and they’re a pain in the a**, they really are. They’re unpleasant to work with and I don’t think they’re always that good either. I’ve worked with some awkward customers, fortunately not too many. I go out of my way never to work with them again.”

Yeah there are more serious actors who just play the part like a champ, without doing all the you-have-to-be-the-character-to-play-the-character shit. I would get tired of it real fast. "hey thanx Leto.. veeeery funny. You put peanutbutter on my camera. Again..."

Whatever gets the job done i guess. But not sure why some seem to think you have to go that far. You're an actor.

I'm sure Jared will be a good Joker.

But still, visually, he looks horrible, like a 50 year old man's idea of what a teenager would find cool.

I'm sure Jared will be a good Joker.

But still, visually, he looks horrible, like a 50 year old man's idea of what a teenager would find cool.

nah. visually he looks like a 21st century rapper, have you seen young thug? it's obvious they're going for a more rockstar vibe for this one.

who coincidentally is rumored to have a song on the soundtrack.

I for one can't be mad at method actors just on the principle that they may be trying too hard. Who am I to tell them they don't need that to do their job, if they believe they do. At least they are no half assing it. Just don't fucking annoy the crew and rest of the cast.

I for one can't be mad at method actors just on the principle that they may be trying too hard. Who am I to tell them they don't need that to do their job, if they believe they do. At least they are no half assing it. Just don't fucking annoy the crew and rest of the cast.

Problem is thats what a lot of them end up doing.

Esiquio

Jared Leto sounds like such a tryhard. Which is a shame, because I like him as an actor. He's great in Fight Club, American Psycho and Mr. Nobody.

What's up with this new hatred horseshit for - OH NO! - trying hard at your profession?! Get out of here with that nonsense. Let's all deride everyone who gives a damn and puts effort into their job, got it!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
This stories from Jared Leto feels like a parody of Heath Ledgers method acting.

Yah. The main different is that Heath Ledgers did it privately. This guy here? He did it to the people around him, as if he's seeking their attention and begging for people to interview and talk about it.

Maximus.

Wow lots of people here are upset that he is putting effort into developing his character. Ridiculous. Who cares what he decides to do, as long as his performance pays off in the end. No need to berate him or his methods because you don't understand. I'm not an actor, but I can still be impressed with his dedication to his job.

If you think the Joker is just a violent anarchist then you are very very wrong.

The hard on some people have for the character based off one movie is absolutely ridiculous.

Leto is going through his process. Let the man work. Too many people writing it off already based off 2 trailers.

Tunahead

Hold on, the joker tells red skull to get the fuck out, but he's cool with that lady?

I'm pretty sure Joker essentially going "USA! USA! Semper fi, commie! Oorah!" in Red Skull's face with no hint of detectable irony was the work of the same kind of creative genius that brought us Doctor Doom shedding a single tear at 9/11, which lamentably wasn't any kind of satire either.

Like, I'm not saying the Joker definitely thinks the Holocaust is hilarious, but if he doesn't, it probably isn't on moral grounds.

SomTervo

Trying way too hard to Ledger huh?

How about focusing on reading the damn comics?

He's supposed to be the fucking Joker, not your average psycho, Joker would consider their work to be beneath him.

Did you read the quote?

A. He's clearly not trying to Ledger at all. He says, verbatim, he had to throw the previous canon of Joker acting out the window.

B. There are many Jokers, even in the comics. Countless writers have tried their hand at him. Sometimes he's more violent and psychotic, sometimes less so (though he's always a serial murderer).

I'm not convinced of how Leto's Joker looks... But I literally have not seen Leto in a bad role before. He puts everything into his acting. I have tenuous faith that he'll nail this.

MKP64

CKVDwC7.png
I don't like YouTube comedy channels

kapowza

This is such tryhard bollocks. Showing how crazy he is via the medium of twitter and carefully coordinated PR for what is basically an underpants and lego advert.

His shitty band can fuck off as well.

SomTervo

This is such tryhard bollocks. Showing how crazy he is via the medium of twitter and carefully coordinated PR for what is basically an underpants and lego advert.

His shitty band can fuck off as well.

His band are shit. Supershit.

But his acting is fucking god-tier, man. Seriously.

ಠ_ಠ

What the heck makes you say that? Guy became one of the world's top boxers just to get into the part of being a professional boxer. His achievements are legendary. Sure, he's a tryhard, but not in the pejorative.

I was taking the piss out the people who say shit like that. DDL is amazing.

brawly

You know what? He was so goddamn good in Dallas Buyers Club he can do whatever the fuck he wants to do in my book.

ಠ_ಠ

What the heck makes you say that? Guy became one of the world's top boxers just to get into the part of being a professional boxer. His achievements are legendary. Sure, he's a tryhard, but not in the pejorative.

lol nah he didn't become one of the world's top boxers. that's nuts. but he did train very hard to the point where he was very skilled at boxing.

on the subject of method acting, particularly DDL's, i can see why crew members would be annoyed by it. but i'm just watching the movies so it doesn't affect me. and in his case it lead to some INCREDIBLE performances. i think he goes too far for preparation, but it's clearly what he needs to turn out those performances and so whatever, do what you gotta do.

it seems leto needs to do that too, it's not a conscious effort on his part just to look cool or some shit (because really it's corny as fuck). i'm assuming, going by his prior stuff, that he just needs to do this shit to put out performances that he's comfortable with. and it worked very well for him going by dallas buyers club.

the real method fails are the doofuses who go the extra length but still come up with mediocre performances.

maybe other actors should be more tryhard. not just going method but take some damn acting lessons or go do theater or some shit.

Arnie7

Banned
Whats with all the hate? He's giving it 100% percent. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe some fans of other studios are not used to such dedicated method actors in their films.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom