• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time for Xbox to clean house and plan the next-generation console

bitbydeath

I think instead of planning their next gen console they should plan a change of leadership, firing people like Phil, Matt Booty, Sarah Bond, Aaron Greenberg and Pete Hines, stopping the "day one on GP" idea for AAA games, to transition to a full multiplatform 3rd party role leaving behind their own hardware, and to go back to focus on selling games instead of in their game sub, which should be something secondary.
Pete Hines already left.

I just dont get how these games for previous ps4 owners are omg must have a ps5 with ps plus and ps having weaker bc being like omg I need a ps5.

It’s not that difficult, PS5 is the only place to play these big sellers below (regardless of whatever you personally think of them, they are way more popular than MS exclusives):

Spider-Man Miles Morales
Horizon Forbidden West
God of War Ragnarok
Gran Turismo 7
Spider-Man 2
Final Fantasy XVI

Plus they get to play third party games like:

CoD
Madden
MLB
FIFA
Elden Ring
Hogwarts
Etc

Only one platform can claim all of that. With Xbox the only differentiator is GamePass, which doesn’t feature any of those massive exclusives, and none of the biggest third party ones are on GamePass.

So unless you’re a hyper fan of Halo and a bunch of lower tier AA games (which are still good, but far less popular), there’s simply not a compelling value on Xbox for most consumers in comparison to a ps5

it is extremely subjective. Eg. I rate AoE much higher than any Sony exclusive. Play almost all sony games in ps4 generation (now we have got sequels, and remasters galore), and Xbox offering with Halo, Forza etc. was/is more suitable for me.

Of course everything is subjective but the numbers don’t lie in terms of what most consumers feel is more compelling

havoc00

It’s not that difficult, PS5 is the only place to play these big sellers below (regardless of whatever you personally think of them, they are way more popular than MS exclusives):

Spider-Man Miles Morales
Horizon Forbidden West
God of War Ragnarok
Gran Turismo 7
Spider-Man 2
Final Fantasy XVI

Plus they get to play third party games like:

CoD
Madden
MLB
FIFA
Elden Ring
Hogwarts
Etc

Only one platform can claim all of that. With Xbox the only differentiator is GamePass, which doesn’t feature any of those massive exclusives, and none of the biggest third party ones are on GamePass.

So unless you’re a hyper fan of Halo and a bunch of lower tier AA games (which are still good, but far less popular), there’s simply not a compelling value on Xbox for most consumers in comparison to a ps5
was just saying if you owned a ps4 you cant play 2 of those games listed?

StueyDuck

The fact is that even if we like it or not, they are making money, and that's all the big wigs care about. To them uncle Philly is bringing is the Ka-ching so doesn't matter if it's poop.

This 70bil consolidation tactic will be interesting though. I expect alot of layoffs in the next few years from ABK under MS. But maybe it'll bleed enough money that might force a leadership shakeup. Seems to me they like Phil's direction of simply owning all of gaming and pricing out the competition. When you the only kid in town selling games then you make all the money and that's what good guy Phil is trying to accomplish

Last edited:

havoc00

Cross Gen games are irrelevant. They want an upgraded way to play those cross gen titles
Maybe I’m in the minority but no way I’d want to play a upgraded version of a single player game I grinded though esp something as long and bloated as horizon death stranding or ghosts

If things havent changed in 10 years, if not for the worse, what makes you think they'll change now?
The path is set. They'll keep buying publishers, or at least try and keep selling fewer and fewer consoles.
They dont care, their fans dont care, so why do you?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
They have to be carefully not to burn fans they have still, so they have to wait 2 more years.

Then, I think they should take thier cash and buy next gen.

Release an xbox ultimate. 30 tf. Dual boots windows and xbox on seperate hard drives.
Sells for $299. Includes elite controller, Cod 2025 and forza for free. 12 months of gamepass free too.

Alternatively, releaae a switch like hybrid that plays series s profile games, oled screen, and comes with a wireless hdmi receiver. 12 free months of gamepass, 2 free games. $299.

Sure ms would lose 10 billion or so on either, but they would get market penetration......

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Maybe I’m in the minority but no way I’d want to play a upgraded version of a single player game I grinded though esp something as long and bloated as horizon death stranding or ghosts

Tell me you didn’t play Ghost of Tsushima without telling me you didn’t play ghost of Tsushima. It’s not bloated at all. Neither is Horizon.

What’s up with Xbox fans lying to themselves? Don’t you get it that you are simply not enough anyway? Look at the fucking numbers.

It’s like you lot already saying “wait for next gen” how tone deaf and deluded can a group of people be? They have to deliver right now, this gen, or next gen is over before it began.

Last edited:

T-0800

They have to be carefully not to burn fans they have still, so they have to wait 2 more years.

Then, I think they should take thier cash and buy next gen.

Release an xbox ultimate. 30 tf. Dual boots windows and xbox on seperate hard drives.
Sells for $299. Includes elite controller, Cod 2025 and forza for free. 12 months of gamepass free too.

Alternatively, releaae a switch like hybrid that plays series s profile games, oled screen, and comes with a wireless hdmi receiver. 12 free months of gamepass, 2 free games. $299.

Sure ms would lose 10 billion or so on either, but they would get market penetration......
Baby Eating GIF

Rockondevil

I'm no expert and I'm sure Microsoft would love to sell as many as they can but do they need to sell as many as Sony and Nintendo to be successful?
Toyota sold many more cars than Mitsubishi this year but both are successful.

I get it's a completely different market, and consoles only really have 3 companies compared to vehicles and it's probably comparing apples to oranges.

I dunno, ya know. Like I'm a good runner, but I'm never catching Usain Bolt.

meech

What a strange discussion here,lol.Low sales numbers in Europe, where Xbox was never big anyway, and the console is doomed.The only thing relevant here is if the division is profitable or not overall.And as far as i know, thats the case.

meech

There's no reason to own an Xbox anymore - all their games are on Steam. And they don't have any good exclusives anymore anyway so I don't even buy those.
I think that Phil has had his chance and now it's time for someone else to have a turn.
There is. I only have a mini pc with a integrated weak gpu thats good enough for browsing the net and Office.The Xbox is a cheap option to play games i would otherwise need a more expensive gaming pc for.

meech

I just dont get how these games for previous ps4 owners are omg must have a ps5 with ps plus and ps having weaker bc being like omg I need a ps5.

Astro's Playroom​

Demon's Souls​

Final Fantasy 7 Remake: Intergrade​

Returnal​

Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered​

Ghostwire: Tokyo​

The Last of Us Part 1​

Forspoken​

Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection​

Exactly, only Spiderman 2 and Returnal are appealing here for me, thats it.

Mr.Phoenix

Phil took over in 2014, he needs more time.
honestly, though, this is BS. He has had enough time. In 2006, sonys immediate course correct meant Ken stepped down and Kaz took over PlayStation, in the 7 years that was the PS3, he had completely righted the ship and laid the groundwork for what became the PS4, sonys 1st party cinematic experiences and e collaborative nature of sony with regards to their IPs today.

Phil has had 6 years leading up to the release of a new console, and another 3 years since said console released.

Sorcerer

honestly, though, this is BS. He has had enough time. In 2006, sonys immediate course correct meant Ken stepped down and Kaz took over PlayStation, in the 7 years that was the PS3, he had completely righted the ship and laid the groundwork for what became the PS4, sonys 1st party cinematic experiences and e collaborative nature of sony with regards to their IPs today.

Phil has had 6 years leading up to the release of a new console, and another 3 years since said console released.
I think Phil is clutching at straws, swinging in a wild direction hoping to gain some traction and hoping it works And it isn't. Microsoft being Microsoft can throw money at the problem, but I believe that an ultimatum has been been given and Phil only has so much time left before the plug is pulled.
40 studios you have no idea how to manage vs 10 studios you don't know how to manage isn't a game changer. Just an insane juggling act that of course will spiral out of control.
It is rather incredible how much Phil has aged in a short time. The stress of trying to stop the Microsoft Xbox Titanic from hitting the iceberg must be life draining.

Last edited:
From a realistic standpoint, Microsoft should become a third party publisher because they will make a ton of money instead of losing money. I think, shutting down gamepass is also a step to the right way.
Yeah, kill the 1 thing that is actually keeping the platform alive. Good move........... NOT!!

Kill the 1 thing that is sucking money without making any profits and kills the Studios that make games exclusively for MS because they sell it for almost free on GamePass.
That's not the point. Gamepass is a system seller. Not the current games. Kill that and the Xbox brand is done for. (And maybe for the better)

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned
That's not the point. Gamepass is a system seller. Not the current games. Kill that and the Xbox brand is done for. (And maybe for the better)
Then it is not the correct system seller, they should come up with better solutions. PlayStation Portal (which is an accessory, not even a console) sells better than Xbox consoles in some regions, plus, console systems are not making a lot of money, software makes a lot of money and MS is killing its software with GamePass.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
was just saying if you owned a ps4 you cant play 2 of those games listed?
When people bring this up, they completely ignore that the experience on PS5 is drastically better experience than PS4. You get a MUCH better game on PS5.
A game running at 4K/60 with better visuals is pretty much a different game than the one running at 1080p/30.
But please let’s pretend that a game running at 1080p/30 is the same game as it running at 4K/60 fps.

Last edited:

MH3M3D

The next generation console isn't going to solve a lack of quality games. They need to get their inhouse development in order first.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Find out why their 30+ studios (not counting ABK) have such a hard time consistently making quality AAA games.
Like, we KNOW their entire initiative with all these studios has BARELY even started, right? All this blah, blah, Microsoft should go 3rd party, blah, blah, is gonna hurt when all the developers are churning out games like intended; 4 AAA games per year. They accomplished the start of that initiative THIS year, all ready.

There are some MASSIVE heavy hitters on the way. CoD 2024 will be a day one Gamepass release. And there's a slew more on the horizon. No one's thinking about when the next Doom, ES6, FH, Gears, HBII, Fable, ( there's a bunch more i can't remember) that will be Xbox exclusives. I can guarantee NO ONE on GaF will be singing this tune in the very near future. We arent even going to mention ABK and CoD games hitting Gamepass next year.

Everyone is talking about how Microsoft should leave the business. Hell, they're just getting started. This thread is......over zealous, to put it lightly.

ungalo

Like, we KNOW their entire initiative with all these studios has BARELY even started, right? All this blah, blah, Microsoft should go 3rd party, blah, blah, is gonna hurt when all the developers are churning out games like intended; 4 AAA games per year. They accomplished the start of that initiative THIS year, all ready.

There are some MASSIVE heavy hitters on the way. CoD 2024 will be a day one Gamepass release. And there's a slew more on the horizon. No one's thinking about when the next Doom, ES6, FH, Gears, HBII, Fable, ( there's a bunch more i can't remember) that will be Xbox exclusives. I can guarantee NO ONE on GaF will be singing this tune in the very near future. We arent even going to mention ABK and CoD games hitting Gamepass next year.

Everyone is talking about how Microsoft should leave the business. Hell, they're just getting started. This thread is......over zealous, to put it lightly.
They should have started 3 years ago.

Gavon West

They should have started 3 years ago.
2018 was the start. I'd say it's going pretty well. I've got plenty to play. In fact, I have so many games I don't even sub to GP anymore. I resub when there's a game I really want to play but aren't sure if i want to make am investment. Still a great service.

That said, all this rhetoric sounds like the last big push to get Xbox out of the game before the tsunami hits.

And MS is........FUCKING LTTP to put it lightly. They done fucked up, bet on the wrong horse and now they are trying to reduce loss by buying up big studios.

It's an act of desperation my man.

Gavon West

I'm no expert and I'm sure Microsoft would love to sell as many as they can but do they need to sell as many as Sony and Nintendo to be successful?
Toyota sold many more cars than Mitsubishi this year but both are successful.

I get it's a completely different market, and consoles only really have 3 companies compared to vehicles and it's probably comparing apples to oranges.

I dunno, ya know. Like I'm a good runner, but I'm never catching Usain Bolt.
They don't need to sell as many consoles as Sony or Nintendo to be successful. GaF is literally in it's echo chamber right now.

What's crazy is how you have to ignore EVERYTHING else about the Xbox platform to even come to suggest such a thing as Xbox going 3rd party, or that they need consoles sales to be successful. It's fascinating to see some try, though...

Gavon West

And MS is........FUCKING LTTP to put it lightly. They done fucked up, bet on the wrong horse and now they are trying to reduce loss by buying up big studios.

It's an act of desperation my man.
Except, they haven't. Again, consoles aren't the end - all - be - all for Xbox. Even for a Sony centric forum like GaF, that's been a well known fact for years.

And, how is buying up big studios and whole ass publishers an "act of desperation?" To the time of $100 billion plus? Are you okay?

Topher

Gold Member
Like, we KNOW their entire initiative with all these studios has BARELY even started, right?

You may believe that, but I sure don't. Five years is plenty of time for these studios to have produced at least one game. I'd say Playground and Obsidian have done ok, but their new games are still lagging far behind. The Initiative, Compulsion and Ninja Theory should have produced something by now. Where the hell is The Coalition? How the hell was Redfall allowed to happen? Not going to dream up excuses for pisspoor production. Sorry.

And nothing I said has anything to do with MS going third party or leaving the industry.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The point people are missing is that the current situation is vastly different from past generations because MS no longer needs to make consoles. GamePass and the cloud offer a complete alternative and they have direct access to the PC and Mobile spaces via their recent acquisitions.

The console part of their business is looking increasingly marginalized. For fuck's sake when the boss of the division cops to the fact that they can't "out-console" their competition, what does that tell you?

It says to me that they'll retain interest in/commitment to gaming, just not necessarily via the traditional console model as its a sub-market that they find difficult to achieve the desired success with.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I mean it worked for 360 and Dreamcast.
Maybe not going toe to toe with Playstation is a good idea, 2 years minimum of free mindshare

Top Bottom