• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Review Thread!

Harlequin

The reviews that I read/watched (GT, Kotaku, Eurogamer, Edge, Rev3games and gamespot) all mentioned most if not all of the gameplay complaints I had. The thing is they all go on to basically say "the sum of its parts make it good" and I disagree with that. Because they're basically saying the gameplay blows but the story and other non gaming parts make up for it, and unless we're talking about adventure games (most recently the walking dead) who purposely set out to not have a ton of gameplay, story and "character development" doesn't make up for bad gameplay in a video game.

They really don't. They describe the gameplay as something that - in your opinion - blows. However, in their opinion it's obviously good enough to warrant such a high score. Every review says that the combat is good, for example. And the puzzles are good, as well. Some of them are just a little too easy and there's too few of them. That's a bad thing to you but that doesn't make the game generally bad.

Vire

I'm continually amazed how video games have not found a way to get rid of waste high cover and exploding barrels.

Someone PLEASE help.

Where's Giantbomb and Edge?

Brad said he was reviewing Tomb Raider for GB on the last Unprofessional Fridays.

I'm continually amazed how video games have not found a way to get rid of waste high cover and exploding barrels.

Someone PLEASE help.

They have, you see.....What if enemies can BREAK them!?

But only certain ones, and only 2/3rds into the game. We need it to remain fair, you know.

krYlon

Reviews are surprisingly positive, but they are praising the elements that I am not interested in (combat, gritty story, polish etc) and are luke-warm towards the elements I am (puzzles, platforming and exploration).

But I want a brand new modern tomb raider fix, I want puzzles and exploration and well... tombs, and I can't see any other games out there that will give me that fix :(

I'm really in two minds about buying this...

C.Monkey

Banned
Gametrailers review tone is very off from the score(8.5) that they gave. I was expecting like 7-8 from all what the reviewer said during the review.

Seems like scores less than 8 can't be published as a part of this embargo :/
there are 3/5 scores....

and all the GT review did was complain about how Lara killing people doesn't fit with the narrative lol.

RedStep

How do you think Crank fans would feel about Crank 3 being about a Vampire falling in love with a loner teenage girl? Do you think they would care about the quality of said film?

As pointed out, that's a silly comparison. A closer one would be "what if Crank 3 was a horror film featuring Chev Chelios?" If it was a good horror film, I'd dig it. Who cares what something is "supposed to be"? By this logic, Aliens as an action movie was a bad move. In reality, it's good that the franchise has different vectors (Prometheus included, despite its vagueness).

For reference, I've been a Tomb Raider fan since the original (and it's funny that things like breaking her neck or dying on spikes were considered "gruesome" at the time) as well as an old-school fan of Hitman, Deus Ex, Splinter Cell, and pretty much all of the other franchises that have had a "reimagining" this generation. If the new game is good, I'm happy. It doesn't need to fit into a box that I imagined.

The Tomb Raider games headed toward mediocre by #3 and kept going. I'm happy for a switchup if it's executed well.

Watching the gametrailers review and this game seems even more ridiculous then what I first though.

Look, look at how vulnerable Lara is in this game. She's really struggling.
*queue endless brutal and ridiculous executions performed by her*

Also does the game have any Tomb Raideresque story at all?

speaking completely personally, I can say that if a sequel to a film changes genres and is still a good film, that it might take me a little while to get over it, but generally I will.

Alien 3 and Chronicles of Riddick spring to mind initially.

obviously if something turns into a genre I don't like, that's annoying, but it doesn't have any baring on it's quality now, does it?

I never said it had any baring on the quality of the game, I was just pointing out the flaw in his analogy (also Alien 3 & CoR aren't very good, a better comparison would have been Alien to Aliens)

Believe it or not, RE fans rallied against that game before and after release because of the change.

Something about ruining survival horror.

As has been pointed out before, RE4 was A; rebooted by its creator & B; didn't look like a Frankensteins monster of popular game mechanics (& it was also polished within an inch of its life, not something that can be said about this particular game judging by some of the animations shown).

As pointed out, that's a silly comparison. A closer one would be "what if Crank 3 was a horror film featuring Chev Chelios?" If it was a good horror film, I'd dig it. Who cares what something is "supposed to be"? By this logic, Aliens as an action movie was a bad move. In reality, it's good that the franchise has different vectors (Prometheus included, despite its vagueness).

How is that a closer comparison (Horror films are hardly doing huge box office numbers, love stories between Vampires & teenage girls on the other hand....) , also Aliens is pretty different(no tone for the series had been set, if the first 6 Alien films had been Horror films & then the 7th was a straight up action film, people would have complained in the same way as they do about AvP).

Harlequin

Reviews are surprisingly positive, but they are praising the elements that I am not interested in (combat, gritty story, polish etc) and are luke-warm towards the elements I am (puzzles and exploration).

But I want a brand new modern tomb raider fix, I want puzzles and exploration and well... tombs, and I can't see any other games out there that will give me that fix :(

I'm really in two minds about buying this...

Play Mirror's Edge and Dishonored simultaneously and imagine it's third-person :p. Closest you're gonna get to a modern TR game gameplay-wise.

antitrop

The Tomb Raider games headed toward mediocre by #3 and kept going. I'm happy for a switchup if it's executed well.
This is what I've been saying the entire time, but I do certainly understand many of the fan complaints with this game.

And many Tomb Raider games went well past mediocre and straight into abysmal.

Harlequin

Watching the gametrailers review and this game seems even more ridiculous then what I first though.

It does. The whole game is about the kingdom of Yamatai and queen Himiko (sp?). Google it ;).

Wat.

Alien 3 is a terrible film.

I was going to bring that up, but this is a thread about Tomb Raider. I think he meant to say Aliens.

I'm not a fan of this world were everything is either terrible or awesome. I'm hardly the first person to reappraise Alien 3, and if you think it represents a 'terrible' film I suggest you broaden your vernacular, or you watch more films.

I never said it had any baring on the quality of the game, I was just pointing out the flaw in his analogy (also Alien 3 & CoR aren't very good, a better comparison would have been Alien to Aliens)

Aliens wouldn't have been a better comparison, because I don't remember any skepticism or negativity about the change ahead of time in that case.

and very good isn't what I said. I said good. Not better. not excellent. good.

Erasus

That's a pretty fair assessment. I don't think that games can't have violence, I just think that they should serve purpose. For instance, I'm really excited for The Last of Us, even though it's an exceedingly brutal game. The element of survival in a gritty world doesn't bother me in the slightest, and if approached correctly can be done really well. It's the need to show close ups of guys getting chainsawed in half in slow-motion kind of thing. Why?

This for me. I still might get this when cheap because I do like TPS gameplay, but close up gore/violence just makes me a bit uncomfortable. Like the Far Cry 3 stealth kills.

antitrop

I'm not a fan of this world were everything is either terrible or awesome. I'm hardly the first person to reappraise Alien 3, and if you think it represents a 'terrible' film I suggest you broaden your vernacular, or you watch more films.
It's terrible compared to Alien and Aliens, two of the best science fiction films ever produced. I suppose on its own it's really not that bad.

Mindman

VG24/7 summed up the differences nicely between Uncharted and this game with a crude drawing:

Uncharted-versus-Tomb-Raider-600x426.jpg

Can't wait. :)

It's terrible compared to Alien and Aliens, two of the best science fiction films ever produced. I suppose on its own it's really not that bad.

If we're talking theatrical cuts, I have no argument. I think it's also fair to say that it is overly criticized for what it ISN'T. Alien3 has always been criticized for not being Aliens 2. For not featuring action. For dropping all of Cameron's characters.

Imagine you watched it after Alien and didn't see Aliens. You'd likely think it was the inferior film, but you wouldn't be upset and angry about any of the changes it made compared to Aliens, and you'd probably enjoy it more than you did.

I'll decide for myself if Tomb Raider is suffering from the same thing when I play it, but I don't think it is suffering, since most of the reviewers are praising the reboot, rather than slamming it for missing the point of what made the earlier games good.

I'm not just talking about scores either, I'm talking about actual statements in the actual reviews.

antitrop

Reasonably excited. I think it's fair to assume that 360 version is superior to PS3?
No, not at all. Just wait for the DF.

If we're talking theatrical cuts, I have no argument. I think it's also fair to say that it is overly criticized for what it ISN'T. Alien3 has always been criticized for not being Aliens 2. For not featuring action. For dropping all of Cameron's characters.

Imagine you watched it after Alien and didn't see Aliens. You'd likely think it was the inferior film, but you wouldn't be upset and angry about any of the changes it made compared to Aliens, and you'd probably enjoy it more than you did.
Aliens 3 was the first Aliens movie I saw, then Alien, then Aliens.

I thought Aliens 3 was mediocre the first time I saw it in high school, then when I watched Alien and Aliens several months afterwards and they blew my mind. I would assume watching them in sequential order for the first time would only further highlight how inferior Aliens 3 is.

They do, yes. And they still give it a great score and praise the game. What does that mean? Hm...let's think about it for a moment, shall we? It means that - all in all - these reviewers came othe conclusion that it's a great game. I don't get what's not to understand about this.

Not to mention that it's ridiculous to criticise a game for copying from Uncharted when Uncharted was almost entirely a copy-paste product itself.
This game seems to be full of elements cribbed from other high scoring, popular games. Its got all the elements your modern blockbuster title needs - nice graphics, over the top violence and executions, xp grinds and unlockables, collectibles, cinematic cutscenes and QTE cinematic moments, and shoe-horned xp-grind multiplayer with unlocks to provide replayability. And if Jim Sterling has it right, the puzzle elements have been made optional so as not to get the player stuck on the off occasion they have to figure something out on their own, even with the aid of hunter vision.

What does it mean? My takeaway is that modern audiences and reviewers don't care about diversity of gameplay if they can get their executions on in a graphically pretty game, no matter what the game is named. Any criticisms are just met with gifs of somebody getting gunned down or stabbed, or Lara jumping away from an explosion, as if that's all there is to it. I guess so.

All hail Lara. Haters can suck the muzzle. Aw yeah!

It looks like a decent Uncharted clone with more exploration, which should be a good time on its own, but I'm bummed that the classic risky platforming the series is known for is considered irrelevant or too difficult for modern audiences.

Or maybe we stop trying to turn every thread where he posts in in a thread about him, it's equally tiresome.

Lately I'm seeing a lot of

• GAF is a hivemind
  • GAF can't agree on anything
  • Don't shit up the OT with your minority opinion if you know the game isn't for you
  • Let's argue for 15 pages about the semantics of a term neither of us took 20 seconds to look up in a dictionary
  • This thread is now about Derrick

Randdalf

That GT review is so odd, it's tinged with negativity throughout, especially focusing on the juxtaposition between Lara's actions in the story and her actions in the gameplay but they still give it a really good score.

I thought Aliens 3 was garbage the first time I saw it in high school, then when I watched Alien and Aliens several months afterwards and they blew my mind. I would assume watching them in sequential order would only further highlight how inferior Aliens 3 is.

make up your mind then. is it a: garbage, b: terrible or c: not that bad?

• GAF is a hivemind
  • Don't shit up the OT with your minority opinion if you know the game isn't for you
  • Let's argue for 15 pages about the semantics of a term neither of us took 20 seconds to look up in a dictionary

No offense to Derrick, but I laugh whenever I see him post. Simply because he has become the Debbie Downer of GAF. It's good to see someone point out all the negative, just like I tend to point out the positive. So I do indeed like his posts, I just rarely respond to them. I'm accepting of Derrick.

• GAF is a hivemind

Every thread is about Derrick if it runs long enough.

Eideka

Banned
The PC version will be revealed tomorrow, I think. Probably as part of the TressFX unveiling by AMD. Not sure if we'll get reviews of it tomorrow, too.

Ah so this tressfx crap is really related to TR ?

Can't wait to be disappointed, Physx when done right (Batman games) is a game changer, I'm not sure about this tressfx thing.

But the goodside is that it shouldn't be exclusive to AMD cards.

kunonabi

They really don't. They describe the gameplay as something that - in your opinion - blows. However, in their opinion it's obviously good enough to warrant such a high score. Every review says that the combat is good, for example. And the puzzles are good, as well. Some of them are just a little too easy and there's too few of them. That's a bad thing to you but that doesn't make the game generally bad.

sure it does if the remaing elements that are done well are elements we consider detrimental to a good game by their very nature.

even these aren't universally considered a success since the story and characters appear to have all sorts of issues along with certain elements of the stealth and combat.

reviews aren't gospel so none of us can say with certainty how it turned out until we play it.

Vire

That GT review is so odd, it's tinged with negativity throughout, especially focusing on the juxtaposition between Lara's actions in the story and her actions in the gameplay but they still give it a really good score.

games-journalismaf8t.gif

relax it's a joke

kurahador

If that's a bad thing, Far Cry 3 would've scored lower.

ari

Banned
This game looks to be a hit and a lot of you guys had this being a disaster. You guys are the Pachter of video game forums.

Never again will i listen to you guys for anything.

madmackem

hahaha whats a tomb raideresque story like all the stories in tomb raider games were utter shite.

So true. Just like AAA game design, reviews have become checklists for a quantitative assessment - see the recent Arthur Gies vs. Bennett Foddy discussion on how a popular mainstream reviewer doesn't get what's wrong with his methodology and approach to assessing the quality of a game.

Yeah, I was too late to the party on that thread to comment, but reviewers like Gies aren't doing us any favors.

Andrew.

Banned
This game looks to be a hit and a lot of you guys had this being a disaster. You guys are the Pachter of video game forums.

Never again will i listen to you guys for anything.

You've been here for six years and are just now realizing this? lol =P

Top Bottom