• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 203 CM Punk vs Mickey Gall |OT| Like Mussolini and Kennedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Beard

Hindsight 20 20 punk should have gone up against a striker.

Punk vs Sage would have been the match to book.

But Punk isn't a striker (he's not anything really), he still would've been demolished but his face would look much worse.

Punk vs. a striker could've gotten really ugly.

Fox318

But Punk isn't a striker (he's not anything really), he still would've been demolished but his face would look much worse.

Punk vs. a striker could've gotten really ugly.
Fight would have lasted longer and outside of punk breaking an arm or his neck I don't see how you could have a more ugly loss in the ground.

Punk might have had an advantage on a boxer or fighter who like a holm wants to stay off the mat.

Instead he went up against somebod who we really don't know how good of a striker he really is.

Hindsight 20 20 punk should have gone up against a striker.

Punk vs Sage would have been the match to book.

Punk would have gotten steamrolled by any 170 lb'er on the roster, and for that matter, any 170 lber in Bellator, RFA or any other remotely credible fighting organization. There is no tomato can fight for Punk. He is the tomato can.

BTW I've been really hard on Gall but I don't think he's terrible. I think he's an interesting prospect.

I'm just not going to favor him over anyone in the UFC until I see him fight someone of actual athletic worth. I just don't want people to think I'm doing nothing but bash him, he just hasn't proven himself to me yet. :)

Edit looks like we are going to find out soon. Sage wants the fight

Dana White says Sage Northcutt's people reached out to him after Mickey Gall callout and said they want the fight.

https://twitter.com/MikeBohnMMA/status/774848078629122049

BTW I've been really hard on Gall but I don't think he's terrible. I think he's an interesting prospect.

I'm just not going to favor him over anyone in the UFC until I see him fight someone of actual athletic worth. I just don't want people to think I'm doing nothing but bash him, he just hasn't proven himself to me yet. :)
I think he has a career in the UFC.
Seems grounded, a hard worker, etc...
I wish he wouldn't call out people at his level but it's all the rage now.

Fight would have lasted longer and outside of punk breaking an arm or his neck I don't see how you could have a more ugly loss in the ground.

Punk might have had an advantage on a boxer or fighter who like a holm wants to stay off the mat.

Instead he went up against somebod who we really don't know how good of a striker he really is.

He should have started in a lesser organization against another 0-0 fighter. Or started his career 15 years earlier. Or just never tried to make the switch to combat sports at all given his age, inexperience, and the obvious wear and tear his previous career had on his body.

The Beard

I honestly don't think the fight would've lasted longer. Sure, it might've, but who the hell knows? I don't have any confidence in Punk's defense. I think he would've just ate big shots to the head and body and got KO'd/TKO'd anyway. I don't think he can hurt anyone with his hands either.

Either way he was fucked.

Fox318

Punk would have gotten steamrolled by any 170 lb'er on the roster, and for that matter, any 170 lber in Bellator, RFA or any other remotely credible fighting organization. There is no tomato can fight for Punk. He is the tomato can.

He should have started in a lesser organization against another 0-0 fighter. Or started his career 15 years earlier. Or just never tried to make the switch to combat sports at all given his age, inexperience, and the obvious wear and tear his previous career had on his body.

I honestly don't think the fight would've lasted longer. Sure, it might've, but who the hell knows? I don't have any confidence in Punk's defense. I think he would've just ate big shots to the head and body and got KO'd/TKO'd anyway. I don't think he can hurt anyone with his hands either.

Either way he was fucked.
I'm just trying to think of a fighter who it would have at least lasted a bit longer that the UFC has fight.

Maybe Mike Jackson was the guy?

Ninja is right in that Punk is the tomato can.

Levito

Banned
Brock was credible. He was a fighter. He was a former champ. He could hold his own. Punk has about as much business being in the octagon as Screech from Saved by the Bell does. Outside of pro wrestling, Brock and Punk have ZERO in common.

I just don't see how it's worth it for the UFC. You know Punk isn't cheap, and outside of the car crash appeal of his first fight, what kind of a draw is he going to be? Everybody knows he sucks now. The appeal is gone.

This.

It's also important to realize that sending Punk in there again is really dangerous for his health.

Punk should fight a literal can

Like a life size can

Maybe he could win probably not tho

Lmao I said he should fight a giant Pepsi can.

Really it's in Danas best interests to cut him now tho. It will be tough to find somebody he can have a good fight with and also he wasn't that hot a draw tonight I imagine and after this he'll be even less of a draw. Took too long to get to the fight and he wasn't skilled enough for it either.

If Punk wants to keep doing MMA he should go to Bellator. Viacom will give him a load of money and Bellator will actually find some homeless dude off the street to fight him and make it a main event. Punk could get an MMA win and a big paycheck

Fox318

If Punk wants to keep doing MMA he should go to Bellator. Viacom will give him a load of money and Bellator will actually find some homeless dude off the street to fight him and make it a main event. Punk could get an MMA win and a big paycheck
Dada can make the weight cut.

Just have a few Lipo sessions

karasu

eK2ZMWJ.gif

Z0cNGfk.gif

Holy shit I never thought I'd see anyone get hit with a flying side kick

Levito

Banned
Mickey Gall had the best walkout music of all time BTW.

After how Edmond Tarverdyan acted tonight, I'd like to see him fight Punk.

Watching the GIF, I think that kick is a big reason Browne never really got going. That kick legit hurt him pretty bad, he wasnt just knocked off balance, he was stumbling even after he regained his footing.

If it wasnt for Browne having a heck of a chin, Werdum would have landed the most spectacular ko in MMA history.

All this "never give up" attitude just comes off like bad advice because it's like a special case of where Giving up is the smartt thing to do

Like when wrestlers like sting fight way past their age. It comes off as very carny of punk and not inspirational

All this talk of could Rogan beat X in either a grappling or mma match really really makes me want to see like a ufc personality/fighter grappling tourney on fight pass. I wanna see like a maia vs bj penn or barnett vs werdum in like a ebi style submission only match

darscot

Pretty good night of fights I was entertained. CM Punk was an embarrassment he has no business in the octagon. He is clearly not a fighter and he can train all he wants you don't become a fighter at his age. It was an interesting experiment but I never need to see him again. The Werdun/Brown fight was the worst of the night. Werdum has to finish the fight. Brown was one handed an badly hurt the entire fight and he still couldn't put him away.

And yes Rogan would destroy CM Punk but Rogan is not a fighter. He is a student of the game, he has an incredible knowledge and understanding of the sport. He is not a fighter and also has no business in the octagon. He would be a great teacher and coach, show you all the correct techniques but settle down on him being tough and actually fighting. The guy is fucking baked basically all the time and spends his time in sensory deprivation munching mushrooms and spacing out in his own head. The guy could never stay clean long enough to get in the ring.

Cipherr

This guy must be a piece of work (as in an asshole) because every forum I visit is laughing at his loss; When to me it looks like someone who clearly doesn't have the training/ability just getting their ass kicked on live TV. And you can see that its eating him alive the way he lost in that pic.

Its the least funny, and probably most sad shit Ive seen in a while. NFI why they let him in the ring.

DeathyBoy

Banned
This guy must be a piece of work (as in an asshole) because every forum I visit is laughing at his loss; When to me it looks like someone who clearly doesn't have the training/ability just getting their ass kicked on live TV. And you can see that its eating him alive the way he lost in that pic.

Its the least funny, and probably most sad shit Ive seen in a while. NFI why they let him in the ring.

With Punk it's weird because UFC shouldn't have enabled him, but god damn are there salty mptherfucketsmotherfuckers online and here butt hurt he left WWE who think deep down he'll go running back post UFC.

Likely the same people who deep down want Bryan back despite the fact he should never wrestle, even in a practice ring, again,

Rogas

Banned
Punk's probably going to try again, get smashed again and go into hiding afterwards (Ultimate Warrior style). That beat down was embarrassing .

Hasney

negative all the credits in the world for Punk taking someone elses spot on the main card. he should have been placed in the prelims.

Plus all the credits in the world for Punk being a draw. Certainly the most I've ever been interested in MMA and I'll probably switch off again now.

He's meant to be a bit of an asshole but most of it is a combination of MMA fans hating him because he's a pro wrestler and shitty WWE fans hating him because how DARE he leave THEIR promotion. The former I can understand, though they should be directing their ire at the UFC, not Punk, whereas the latter are just sad. They're the same ones who bitch about The Rock and Batista because they went and got better jobs somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom