• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update on the Open Hand Charity Scam Is So Much Worse

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Joke's on whoever trusted that face I guess. Folks, just go donate to whatever and whoever you want directly, why do you need a middleman, why make anybody famous and able to boast about doing something so great and being such an awesome human with OTHER PEOPLE's MONEY? Sheesh🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
We can learn from this. Anyone who donates needs to be very careful. Charities have wide latitudes in how they spend their money once it’s given to them. You need to do your due diligence and ensure it’s on the up and up.

Dr.Morris79

How many assholes can you fit in one picture?

E7MntHM.jpg

That many.

diffusionx

Gold Member
would never have given a cent to that charity but i unsubbed from him after i watched the videos and looked at the tax docs.

Jinzo Prime

Anyone want to summarize the video?
TLDW:

Jirad and his family claimed in a letter and on video call that all the money raised for Open Hand is sitting in a bank account untouched and will be donated sometime in the future.

We now know that the amount claimed on thier tax filings are almost certainly lower than they actually raised. They are lying to the IRS and to the public.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
TLDW:

Jirad and his family claimed in a letter and on video call that all the money raised for Open Hand is sitting in a bank account untouched and will be donated sometime in the future.

We now know that the amount claimed on thier tax filings are almost certainly lower than they actually raised. They are lying to the IRS and to the public.
Thank you

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I mean, to be fair, creating a scam with video games and golf indicates at least a Pink Panther level of criminal wit, so at least it's not the absolute dumbest thing I've ever seen. Pretty shit, though.

bigdad2007

There is a ton of conjecture in the videos surrounding this. I think it will be funny if Karl Jobst gets sued over this when it turns out to just be sloppy accounting and not fraud.

My biggest question and what doesn’t vibe with Karl’s scenario he set up is why only report the contributions as cash on the balance sheet. It would have made way more sense to just report the contributions as being donated and no one would have raised questions.

Either way it’s fraud but this way was easily detected.

My guess is that Covid hit right when the charity got big and more or less everyone involved assumed someone else on the board of the foundation was handling the donations and it just sat there. And at this point they have lawyered up so until Jirads lawyers/accountants figure what to do we will hear nothing from their side.

In all likelihood though considering everyone around him and have met him say they thought he was a nice guy the story is probably way more boring than drama YouTube is making it out to be.

Last edited:

phaedrus

What I don't get is how these irregularities have gone on for so many years.

In my country any charity/NPO drawing that kind of money needs to get their yearly financial statement audited externally.

FunkMiller

There is a ton of conjecture in the videos surrounding this. I think it will be funny if Karl Jobst gets sued over this when it turns out to just be sloppy accounting and not fraud.

My biggest question and what doesn’t vibe with Karl’s scenario he set up is why only report the contributions as cash on the balance sheet. It would have made way more sense to just report the contributions as being donated and no one would have raised questions.

Either way it’s fraud but this way was easily detected.

My guess is that Covid hit right when the charity got big and more or less everyone involved assumed someone else on the board of the foundation was handling the donations and it just sat there. And at this point they have lawyered up so until Jirads lawyers/accountants figure what to do we will hear nothing from their side.

In all likelihood though considering everyone around him and have met him say they thought he was a nice guy the story is probably way more boring than drama YouTube is making it out to be.

Hi Jirard!

FunkMiller

If your IRS statements indicate one figure... and every other publicly available piece of information show a different figure...

...then you've got some 'splaining to do.

He's either been ripped off by somebody close to him, or he's doing the deed himself.

Tangerine

I think the completionist should be tied up, wearing a sign that reads 'I hate Alzheimer sufferers, you may have been cured if not for my greed' in a room full of particularly confused and violent Alzheimer patients.

Maybe in lucid moments they will be able to understand the sign.

Mr Hyde

Well if he is doing okay, it's certainly no thanks to the completionist!

But yeah, he's an icon, a legend and legends never truly die.

He truly is a legend. His legacy will live on forever. And shame on Completionist for using Alzheimer victims and support groups just so he can scam his audience. That´s a new low.

Top Bottom