• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox Review: Netflix & Marvel’s Iron Fist is an ill-conceived, poorly written disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
Arrow S5 is the best

Guess you were just

Welcomed
To
The
New
7EaDJIu.gif

Wow, I did not expect high praise for season one and four of Arrow upon entering this thread.

whoa, lets leave season 1 out of this. the show had it's CW soap opera cheese but the action and villain was great. season 5 is the new best tho, with all that relationship drama iced out too.

I find this funny, i dont think anyone can call gaf out as a hive mind ever again gaf=suspect of the varying quality of marvels netflix series, dumps all over iron fist, praises the cwverse. Then gaf=dcceu is shit shut it all down too grim dark i hate it. Marvel da gawd, wheres thor the dark worlds oscar? This was all in jest so please no one take this too seruiously.

wandering

Banned
I am 11 episodes in and still don't get the hate.

Had I listened to the feedback it has received thus far I would have skipped the show entirely but after watching almost all the episodes I am pretty much just like "Huh? This isn't even bad."

That's not to say it couldn't use some work (in particular the fight choreography) but overall it could have been a lot worse (and there is a lot worse out there).

It feels like people are just riding the hate train with this one.

Or it's entirely possible that people have different taste than you.

Dynomutt

Sonny from Into the Badlands has surprised me with more a impressive display of martial arts in the first 5 minutes of of season 2 episode 1 than Danny does in all of episode 1 IMO.

The writing is laughably bad but I'm still working my way through it. It's really boring but episode 6 was actually really good. I wish the whole show was episode 6. Anyway worse marvel show but it's worse problem is being boring. I think season 1 of Agents of shield is still worse so far (on episode 7 for context.)

I haven't bothered watching IF yet. I'm not expecting much at this point anyway, especially given the writers/showrunner involved.

Out of Marvel's Netflix shows, I actually liked Daredevil Season 1, parts of 2, Jessica Jones, and the first half of Luke Cage. They're not perfect, but I do like their overall stories.

mreddie

"You can watch the first episode and the last episode and miss nothing." - Double Toasted review

Where's that Kramer Karate Chop Gif?

zeshakag

It's weird how an action series based on martial arts can make me feel absolutely nothing during what should be the show's bread and butter. I feel like this is endemic to modern cinema and television.

Might Morphin Power Rangers from 95-98 literally has better fight scenes than some of these scenes.

Sobriquet

Lot of hate on this show. I really like it so far. Low expectations? Maybe. I think it's better than Luke Cage, but I'm only halfway through.

hamchan

What a shame they had to fuck it up on their 4th go. This is what happens when you give the control to the guy who showrunned the worst seasons of Dexter.

Infinite

It's weird how an action series based on martial arts can make me feel absolutely nothing during what should be the show's bread and butter. I feel like this is endemic to modern cinema and television.

Might Morphin Power Rangers from 95-98 literally has better fight scenes than some of these scenes.
Daredevil had amazing fight choreography

I dislike Marvel films, I find them very uninteresting, visually and sonically bland, and poorly written - all of them. They are just various shades of it with the occasional highlight (GotG).

But I thought Jessica Jones was pretty good.

Corpekata

Banned
It's probably the worst superhero TV show in the past 5 years.

Like, I get not liking Luke Cage or Jessica Jones, but this is on an entirely different level of bad. LC or JJ at least had actors or themes to latch on to. In Iron Fist it's basically just David Wenham hamming it up, and even he's not half as interesting as Ali or Tenant were.

mreddie

What's the normal rate when Netflix announces a 2nd season?

Will this even get a 2nd season?

But Iron Fist
doesn't even shoe the damn dragon at all.

The fucking HIVE is special effects but no dragon? Fucking hell, I'm gonna laugh my ass off if Buck cheaps out on Inhumans...oh wait, they already are.

Zzoram

With the harsh reviews I was expecting worse.

Episode 1 and 2 were kinda slow and lacking in flashy fights but watchable. Also, the plot appears to have advanced, even if it's not yet clear where this show is going.

Colleen is the highlight so far. Her line delivery is so much better than Danny's, but maybe it's just the writing. Danny has a lot of bad lines and is generally acting pretty dumb. I generally don't like plots that rely on characters being really dumb.

Given the premise, I was hoping for Daredevil or better fight choreography but it sounds like I'll be disappointed. The bad guy seems promising so far though.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Iron Fist can't get Iron Fist right.

But Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. did Ghost Rider to perfection.

There's no excuse to screw up Iron Fist.

Sonny from Into the Badlands has surprised me with more a impressive display of martial arts in the first 5 minutes of of season 2 episode 1 than Danny does in all of episode 1 IMO.

This is the problem.

Iron Fist isn't a horrible show. It's not a great show either. It's just there. Light and airy. In and out of your head.

This was a show that needed to do one thing real good: the fights.

It doesn't. Arrow and Agents of SHIELD are up to par with this for the most part and surpass it at times. The best thing that could happen to Into The Badlands is the S2 opener happening the same weekend Iron Fist debuted.

ITB has bad dialog and poor characterization, but it is a cut above on the fights. That's all Iron Fist had to do. It didn't.

mreddie

The best thing that could happen to Into The Badlands is the S2 opener happening the same weekend Iron Fist debuted.

ITB has bad dialog and poor characterization, but it is a cut above on the fights. That's all Iron Fist had to do. It didn't.

I'm shocked Marvel didn't get someone from that show for fights.

Finally....something for DC WB Fanboys to celebrate about...

Suicide Squad won a Oscar for
Best Makeup

I have the same worry. This is also true of Luke Cage.
I'm guessing Daredevil S3 will have Nuke because Born Again so... who knows? Maybe JJ will have Nuke as the villain? Random cases? Original story? All 3 options are kinda worrying, tbh.

I dunno if Luke Cage has had a season 2 announcement yet, so maybe they can merge it with Iron Fist and do Heroes for Hire instead.

Zzoram

I think we've learned that 13 episodes is too long for a tight compelling story. All the Marvel Netflix shows felt like they had filler, and would've been better if they were a bit shorter. Maybe they should just do 2 or 3 complete arcs per season, kinda like S2 of Daredevil did, so that the pacing doesn't bog down.

Also, I don't want these shows to do the Heroes S2 thing, where after they spent all of S1 coming together, they just randomly all split up and don't Even have a way to reach each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom