• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox Review: Netflix & Marvel’s Iron Fist is an ill-conceived, poorly written disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froli

As someone who found both Luke Cage and Jessica Jones to be basically awful, I'm not even going to bother, which is such a shame.

Same here, not even gonna bother.

Jessica Jones series would have been okay if it was around 8 episodes, the lack of consistent fight choreography, 0 budget for the special effects (its non existent, remember the awkward jumping scenes? just LULS). After episode 6, it went downhill specially the cat and mouse chase between the protagonist and the main villain.

In the end its a MEH tv series.

BigDug13

It's bad direction, mostly.

Every scene has no cohesion. The only actor who has any clue how to approach his scenes is David Wenham, and that's because he's playing such a cheesy hard-ass dad that every scene kind of plays itself out. It's so half-baked it's mind-boggling.

The fight sequences being horrible is weird enough. This is the same production house that did Daredevil, surely there are some fucking names in the rolodex who know how to stage and shoot a fight scene. It's one thing if Jessica Jones doesn't have good fight scenes, but Iron Fist? Really?

My only consolation here is that better people are doing The Defenders and I'm sure the Iron Fist team will get replaced if there's another season.

I thought it was kinda funny that Faramir now gets to play the asshole dad who berates his son.

RangerX

Banned
I'm on the fourth episode and I'm considering dropping it. The script could have been written by a broom. Its definitely the worst of the marvel shows so far. Although LC part 2 gives it a run for its money.

dan2026

Apparently they don't even give him his cool funky costume.

The fuck is up with that?

Its Iron Fist, it's supposed to be fun.

Monocle

Yay, the snap judgment I formulated based on the godawful trailer and stupid casting was kind of accurate! Will avoid.

Apparently they don't even give him his cool funky costume.

The fuck is up with that?

Its Iron Fist, it's supposed to be fun.

Best scene in the entire series was a clip from 1948 of an actual powered Iron Fist fighting Chinese soldiers in a forest,
wearing the yellow mask

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm shocked Marvel didn't get someone from that show for fights.

Suicide Squad won a Oscar for
Best Makeup

Oscar winning Suicide Squad is iconic what does MCU bring to the Comic book family? Nominations and losses that's what I tell you.

ColdPizza

Banned
These shows are kind of my guilty pleasure. Then again, I grew up watching B-movies (and worse) on "Up All Night" Every weekend.

Grazzt

Totally agree with the title. And most of time his glowing fist is used to break doors, glasses, light switches etc. What a fucking joke.

Totally agree with the title. And most of time his glowing fist is used to break doors, glasses, light switches etc. What a fucking joke.

Remember the time he was fighting a hallway full of guys and he used his glowing fist to... block one attack that he could have easily dodged?

Good stuff.

ramparter

Banned
I have no idea why people watch these shitty Netflix Marvel shows. I stopped after Daredevil season 1 and Jessica Jones (uggh).
I enjoyed those a lot and I am enjoying Iron fist right now. Should I feel bad because you or Vox guy doesn't approve?

Honestly, i think Marvel screwed up with this whole "Defenders" thing. 4 different series that feel way too similar. Daredevil Season 1 was refreshing and most of season 2 was good but add Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and Iron Fist and everything starts to blur together.

How the hell does Luke Cage feel like Iron Fist?

Magwik

Banned
Aside from Iron Fist being absolutely trash tier, I'm convinced people don't like Jessica Jones simply because they were expecting Daredevil action. The show itself never sets this expectation for the same kind of show, and while the middle episodes slog, the rest is great. Just gotta get past the fact that it isn't an action show.

It's kind of amazing that somehow Iron Fist, with the ability to be produced look around at all of Marvel's TV output, and all of DC's TV output, still manages to be the worst of them all. It's astounding.

I honestly think group think is at work. I haven't talked to anyone who's watched who doesn't like it.

Many of the criticism seems like lazy generic garbage too. "blah blah blah is the only character/actor who cared" "why does this thing happen it makes no sense (it does make sense just pay attention)" "the choreography is terrible"

Lol in comparison to what? Daredevil and Into the Badlands?

Magwik

Banned
I honestly think group think is at work. I haven't talked to anyone who's watched who doesn't like it.

Many of the criticism seems like lazy generic garbage too. "blah blah blah is the only character/actor who cared" "why does this thing happen it makes no sense (it does make sense just pay attention)" "the choreography is terrible"

The choreography looks bad compared to fucking Power Rangers man

LionPride

Banned

Yes of course, it's group think, not that people actually think it's bad. You are so so right!

Yes of course, it's group think, not that people actually think it's bad. You are so so right!

It's not perfect but people generally latch onto reviews and form their opinion based off of that. I would love to debate those who didn't like it as I found there are multiple objective facts that make the show enjoyable.

LionPride

Banned
It's not perfect but people generally latch onto reviews and form their opinion based off of that. I would love to debate those who didn't like it as I found there are multiple objective facts that make the show enjoyable.
The show isn't acted well, fight coreography is trash, characters mean nothing, Danny may be the dumbest son of a bitch this side of Barry Allen, and did I mention the acting?

I did not expect it to be great, but I was not prepared for the cosmic stupidity and incompetence oozing from every frame of this piece of shit mystical turd. Where to start? The main character is portrayed by a guy who looks more like a dumb giant teddy bear than he does a legendary martial artist; the actor could not produce a convincing kick to save his life! The cinematography is bad, the acting -especially from our dear Iron Fist and his annoying lady friend- is 80's low budget movies level; the script is a mess and the dialogues equal parts annoying and repetitive...
Who wrote this garbage? And who, for God's sake, cast that actor to play Iron Fist? What did I just watch?

The tone of that review sort of justifies the changes they made in Dr. Strange. Had they left Swinton's character intact it would've been a karger shitstotm 10 fold.

I only liked Daredevil's first season, I didn't finish Jessica Jones , couldnt make it past episode 3 of Luke Cage and I'm not even gonna watch this.

Marco Polo went to shit on season 2 too.

I'm suddenly worried for Stranger Things

Double D

I've watched about 9 episodes. I certainly don't think it's as bad as 'the internet' is making it out to be.

-I came into this not knowing anything about Iron Fist. I also came into this (from seeing promos and whatnot) thinking that the guy cast as Danny was horrible and extremely punchable. I actually like the guy. Maybe he's not a good 'Iron Fist', but I wouldn't know that since I'm not familiar with the source material.

-The lack of fights is a bother, but not a deal-breaker as I thought it would be. Some scenes are definitely much worse than others.

-Ward is super punchable. Maybe it's because I see him as Fred Armisen playing a comedically serious role.

-Colleen is dope.

- I think my wife is probably tired of me talking about my Chi needing to be recharged when she asks me to do something for her.

Lifeline

I would say the same thing about the other Netflix Marvel shows.

Daredevil S1 was decent, but I had to stop watching both Jessica Jones and Luke Cage cause of how boring they were. Watched about half of Daredevil S2 before that became boring too.

They need to change things up.

I rank Jessica Jones higher than the average suggests.

It was more about a victim phychologicailly wrestiling her agressor's torment than classical heroes versus villains.

my biggest problem with DD were named Karen and Foggy. Foggy is the worst character of all 4 (5) series.

LionPride

Banned
I would say the same thing about the other Netflix Marvel shows.

Daredevil S1 was decent, but I had to stop watching both Jessica Jones and Luke Cage cause of how boring they were. Watched about half of Daredevil S2 before that became boring too.

They need to change things up.
Jessica Jones and Luke Cage are their most well reviewed shows, don't think they're changing anything up

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm a bit out of sync with most people on this one it seems, I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as everyone makes out (just finished episode 7 I think). It's certainly not as good as the other 3 shows, but it's OK. They coulda truncated the first 3-4 episodes into 2 IMO. I would rank them as:

Daredevil S1
Jessica Jones
Daredevil S2
Luke Cage (1st half of S1)
Iron Fist
Luke Cage (2nd half of S1 - seriously that second villain was terrible)

I don't really understand how anyone could dislike Jessica Jones or consider it bad. It was an incredibly smart show about whether it's okay for a hero to kill, whether a horrible piece of shit can be redeemed or should be, and exploring the horrors and trauma of rape, mental and physical, through a superhero lens. Every character and their actions made sense, unlike Iron Fist.

The little things about characters, like how Kilgrave actually deep down loathes Jessica, while fooling himself into believing he loves her so he can fixate on her, are what make the show.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Aside from Iron Fist being absolutely trash tier, I'm convinced people don't like Jessica Jones simply because they were expecting Daredevil action. The show itself never sets this expectation for the same kind of show, and while the middle episodes slog, the rest is great. Just gotta get past the fact that it isn't an action show.

It's kind of amazing that somehow Iron Fist, with the ability to be produced look around at all of Marvel's TV output, and all of DC's TV output, still manages to be the worst of them all. It's astounding.
Jessica Jones was my least favorite of the marvel shows and it was mainly because they dragged it out for so long with the inane idea that they needed to keep the bad guy alive to prove that the girl didn't kill her parents. And then after 7 or 8 episodes of capturing him, failing to capture him, releasing him, losing him.... They don't do that, because the idea was a non-starter from the get go. It was frustrating vieeing, and JJ's completely inconsistent powers just made things worse, as you could never judge if she was in danger or not. The only highlight was the main bad guy himself who was a refreshing change from the power hungry or world destroying bad guys we normally get.
I haven't finished iron fist yet but at least so far it feels like each episode is a progression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom