• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox Review: Netflix & Marvel’s Iron Fist is an ill-conceived, poorly written disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cage has Black Mariah and Shades still about

JJ...Nuke? I dunno. They may have to steal a baddie.

They need to get Mariah into a solid lane. They had something towards the end of the season.

JJ will definitely be Nuke related, but I think they should adapt some of the cases from Alias instead of doing one big storyline.

I'm guessing Daredevil S3 will have Nuke because Born Again so... who knows? Maybe JJ will have Nuke as the villain? Random cases? Original story? All 3 options are kinda worrying, tbh.

I dunno if Luke Cage has had a season 2 announcement yet, so maybe they can merge it with Iron Fist and do Heroes for Hire instead.

Luke Cage already had its S2 announcement.

Paz

I have the same worry. This is also true of Luke Cage.

I agree , the villains/actors in JJ and LC were quite dominant in terms of setting the tone and overall show experience, I didn't dislike the back half of LC but if season 2 feels more like that and less like the first part then I'll be sad.

Zzoram

They should just do team ups after Defenders, and pair them up in different combos for a bunch of mini arc stories. It's going to be annoying seeing them split up and not call each other for help, especially if they are all operating within commuter distance.

Makonero

I'm basically watching The Misadventures of Danny Bland in the background while I do other stuff. It's like reality tv or a nature documentary, it's good background noise while playing Picross or building a bookshelf

Disappointing considering how much I loved the other Netflix marvel shows and how excited I am for Defenders but eh could be worse

Indelible

I'am at episode 4 and I think I might stop here, the show is just so boring with awful fights. It is a shame because Iron Fist seems like a cool character but the execution of this show is just terrible and the acting has been mediocre at best.

Xevren

Was so let down with Iron Fist. Was told to check out Into the Badlands and it's first action scene was already better than anything in Iron Fist. This show is tight at least.

Was so let down with Iron Fist. Was told to check out Into the Badlands and it's first action scene was already better than anything in Iron Fist. This show is tight at least.

Welcome to the family. Stay for the great fights and awesome sets, not the characters.

I have never seen a show not give such a shit about the main character,
im in awe.

As much of a dumbass Barry Allen is and literally catching every L possible, they still try.

It just failed on nearly every level,
The idea of The Hand is cool, Colleen was great and I liked Harold's actor.
thats absolutely it for me.

LotusHD

Banned
There's this (understandable) expectation for the Netflix shows to be vastly superior to the Arrowverse, but imo, the gap has been decreasing since the 2nd half of Daredevil Season 2 imo, and especially with the release of Iron Fist.

Now they're just all enjoyable in their own way, with Arrow and Legends in particular stepping up their game.

AoS is still king this season though.

There's this (understandable) expectation for the Netflix shows to be vastly superior to the Arrowverse, but imo, the gap has been decreasing since the 2nd half of Daredevil Season 2 imo, and especially with the release of Iron Fist.

Now they're just all enjoyable in their own way, with Arrow and Legends in particular stepping up their game.

AoS is still king this season though.

I think the thing making it worse is Iron Fist should have been a really easy to make even an average series.
It fails at basically its one most simple job(selling the Iron Fist &/or Danny).

Luke Cage and Jessica Jones were far harder sells and are decent at their worst(besides Diamondback at the end)

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Ironfist is a horrible piece of boring crap.
It's almost impossible to get through. It's genuinely on the worst superheroes shit. It's like someone who didn't care about the comics at all decided to seize the opportunity and make money out of thr marvel brand.

The fight scenes are legit from a 90's all white hollywood movie. American ninja had better scenes.

Jessica Jones is a fantastic show and pretty much up there with Daredevil.

Yeah. I've seen seven episodes so far.

It's bad. Like, really bad. Inexcusably bad. The dialogue is bad and the choreography is bad, but even if those were fixed, it would still be a bad show. It's just so fucking aimless and directionless. It takes like 6 episodes for anything to even happen, and then it happens and the show goes back to being about nothing. People wander around some sets for an hour, then the end credits roll. That's every episode. There's no plot. Nothing that happens on screen even matters. End of episode 7, Ward
kills his dad. Big fucking deal, he was a useless non-character that everyone else already thought was dead anyway.
It's just shitty drama.

I literally LOL'd when the one board executive guy comes into Joy's office and says "we had an emergency meeting, we're removing ALL OF YOU MAIN CHARACTERS from the board. You're out of the company forever!"

And I loved all of Jessica Jones, Daredevil S2, and all but the last episode of Luke Cage.

At least Colleen is fine as hell so I can at least watch something pleasant on the eyes.

Laieon

I loved Jessica Jones and finished it in a weekend, but I still haven't finished Luke Cage because I just found it boring. Might check this out eventually, but my hopes definitely aren't high.

jurgen

Iron Fist is a chore to watch and easily the worst Marvel Netflix show. It's as if someone had the idea to do a shittier version of the first season of Arrow.

Then again, I think all the Marvel Netflix shows are terrible because of pacing issues. I find myself watching six episodes of a Marvel show, quitting out of boredom and coming back after I forced myself to finish it a few weeks later.

I generally go into every superhero-related media expecting garbage, but this was - thankfully - bad enough that my fiance didn't want to finish it either.

If you have a hankering for superheroes that Iron Fist didn't plug, try watching Legion. It's been pretty excellent so far.

Welcome to the family. Stay for the great fights and awesome sets, not the characters.

Aw, I know the story was extremely rough around the edges and quite over-the-top silly but I still found it very entertaining in a puply anime sort of way. Sunny, the baron and the widow were all very fun characters IMO. But yeah, the best part of the show was definitely the fight scenes (best ones ever in a TV show). Can't wait to start season 2!

watershed

Banned
Honestly, i think Marvel screwed up with this whole "Defenders" thing. 4 different series that feel way too similar. Daredevil Season 1 was refreshing and most of season 2 was good but add Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and Iron Fist and everything starts to blur together.

I have yet to finish Iron Fist, I'm basically forcing myself to continue because I'm thoroughly uninterested in pretty much all of it. Danny is just annoying as hell, the writing is terrible, the fight scenes are fucking VR Troopers tier. I honestly can't think of a redeeming them about it that isn't basically "X actress is beautiful."

Creating a new thread to tell people what to like what you like and hate what you hate, like WHY?

You wanna express your opinion go all out, but I don't understand why you demand everyone think like you do as if you are some superior human or something.

There's a whole topic where we are discussing the good and bad of the show. And here you are starting a new thread trying to scream your opinion from the rooftops as if it's the only opinion anyone should have.

Man screw that crap.

I think the show is boring but you don't see me screaming.

Zekes!

Yeah, Iron Fist is pretty massively disappointing. The fights suck, the whole boardroom angle sucks, the character suck...like they had the chance to do something interesting and shit the bed. It feels like no one involved really embraced the character. The Asian elements all feel nondescript, and mishmashed too. I'm surprised my Chinese-Canadian girlfriend is as into it as she is. She's the one basically making us continue to watch it.

I hope that the Defenders series does better with Danny than this show, and I can only hope they fire Scott Buck and bring in someone else with more vision.

I still haven't watched the pilot and these reviews aren't exactly helping. I loved DD season 1, the Punisher arc in season 2 and Jessica Jones episodes 1-6 but Luke Cage bored me to tears. I hope Marvel and Netflix rectify the ship. Danny and Luke should never have been separated, they should have started with Heroes for Hire and replaced Iron Fist and LC with the Punisher or Blade...

Marvel Knights > Defenders
Well, probably. Who knows...
51130-9119-66972-1-marvel-knights.jpg

I think into the badlands season 1 spoiled me cause Iron first was pure trash.

People blame me for skipping some scenes but the plotline was super predictable. That one review about only watching the first and last episode is enough is accurate. I knew who the big baddie was in episode 2.

All they had to do was get the fighting right and they couldn't even do that. I'd rather watch Ong bak 3 then
watch Iron first again.

Come to think of it, Iron First may be the first MCU material that I actually dislike outright. Agent Carter was a little junk, couple of the movies were whatever, but nothing I sat and watched and thought "this is really shit."

What kind of lame ass fight is that? That is a bar brawl, not kungfu

The show does this thing all the time where in one scene Danny schools like 12 dudes like it ain't no thing, and then in the next fight scene he's struggling against 1 dude who isn't even trained in martial arts because the plot demands that Danny be distracted for a couple minutes while something bad happens.

Because the show really, really doesn't know how to create drama and tension.

I'm upto episode 5 so far,my word is it boring.I thought maybe critics were being overly harsh....But nope not this time,I'll try n see it through till the end

Sheroking

Only thing worse than tbe fighting was the acting. Not a single actor seemed to give a shit.

It's bad direction, mostly.

Every scene has no cohesion. The only actor who has any clue how to approach his scenes is David Wenham, and that's because he's playing such a cheesy hard-ass dad that every scene kind of plays itself out. It's so half-baked it's mind-boggling.

The fight sequences being horrible is weird enough. This is the same production house that did Daredevil, surely there are some fucking names in the rolodex who know how to stage and shoot a fight scene. It's one thing if Jessica Jones doesn't have good fight scenes, but Iron Fist? Really?

My only consolation here is that better people are doing The Defenders and I'm sure the Iron Fist team will get replaced if there's another season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom