• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR support rolling out this week for PS5

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
From my game library and after extended test until know i found 3 PS5 games where VRR is not working.CP 2077, RETURNAL .WATCH DOGS LEGION.VRR is activated on system level but you can feel the fps drops there is juddering and also screen tearing in some places.LG C1 fps counter stays always at 59,34hz.
Cyberpunk shows as VRR enabled for me.

Gerdav

Any Samsung buddies got any tips for this.

I've forced VRR to apply to everything. I have HDMI 2.1 cables (The very same ones Vincent tested and verified 2 years ago) and no issues with 120hz mode.

Still cannot get it to activate VRR though.
Press select on the tv remote and bring up the info bar, the game mode menu doesn’t show it as turned on, it confused the hell out of me I tried unplugging cables, powering the tv off and on, changing inputs etc but it was working the whole time.
gslWdFo.jpg
oBik808.jpg

Last edited:

Arioco

none of the other chroma options help ?

Maybe it's your cable ?

my TV supports 4K60 and 1440p120, sadly PS5 doesn't support 1440p so these 40fps modes are pretty much useless for me

I'm using PS5's official HDMI cable, so that shouldn't be the cause, but who knows, as I said I haven't tested on any other TV just yet. Maybe on my CX it'll be fine. Is that possible that VRR only works on HDMI 2.1 compatible displays? 🤷‍♂️

Cyberpunk shows as VRR enabled for me.
it is enabled on system level but it is not beneficial at all in the game.GO to the market area where there are a lot of NPC'S and you can clearly feel the drops below 60fps and the fps counter staying always at 59,34 hz.VRR is enabled in this game but it is not working as intended.

jorgejjvr

Tempest tries to stimulate how sound in the real world reaches your ears from different directions and is distorted by the shape of your ears (this is how your brain can determine sound directionality in real life beyond just left/right). But everyone's ears are physically different, and your brain is "tuned" to your specific ears, so a single algorithm won't work for everyone. The presets you can choose between on the PS5 are "averages" that should work well enough for most people, but none of them will be a perfect match for most people's ears. And it might just be that for you none of them are close enough to give you convincing 3D audio. The only real solution for this is to scan your ears so that an algorithm can be created just for you (which Sony actually lets you do with their headphones that have similar 3D audio support).
It also took me awhile to figure it out with their XM4 earbuds

Riky

$MSFT
How exactly would it benefit remake?
Does it unlock fps? the game was already locked pretty tightly.

I was just checking what worked and what didn't, for the few games with totally locked framerate it won't have any benefit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hezekiah

Banned
I think Riky and others have a point here. Without VRR developers wouldn't consider uncapping framerates even though their game may have performance headroom in excess of the locked profiles (30, 40, 60fps). Does it directly improve performance, no. But it allows gamers to realize performance that otherwise would have been artificially blocked with locked modes.
As you've said it doesnt boost performance, and VRR isn't required for an unlocked frame rate.

He's done everything he can to try to wiggle around actually admitting that, because he'd rather continue his obfuscation.

Banned
I'm using PS5's official HDMI cable, so that shouldn't be the cause, but who knows, as I said I haven't tested on any other TV just yet. Maybe on my CX it'll be fine. Is that possible that VRR only works on HDMI 2.1 compatible displays? 🤷‍♂️

I have a 2.0 Samsung from 2019 and it works. but I had to change cables.

I wonder if the PS5 is somehow very picky about cables lol

Riky

$MSFT
As you've said it doesnt boost performance, and VRR isn't required for an unlocked frame rate.

He's done everything he can to try to wiggle around actually admitting that, because he'd rather continue his obfuscation.

You are the one dodging the point, I specifically said Dying Light 2 and it enables the developer to give modes which allow a boost in performance.
I can quote it again if you like?
Put it another way, you show me a way to play Dying Light 2 at over 60fps on Series X without VRR, I'll wait.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I personally use these for all devices.

Can't beat the price for the quality that's in this product.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
it is enabled on system level but it is not beneficial at all in the game.GO to the market area where there are a lot of NPC'S and you can clearly feel the drops below 60fps and the fps counter staying always at 59,34 hz.VRR is enabled in this game but it is not working as intended.
But screen tearing is unlimited vrr doesn’t completely eliminate the feeling of frame drops especially below 60fps

Riky

$MSFT

Cable bandwith?

Maybe you need a 2.1 compatible cable, aren't the older ones 18gbps?
Can't see why anyone would have a problem with the cable that comes with the PS5 though. Mine works fine.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Cable bandwith?

Maybe you need a 2.1 compatible cable, aren't the older ones 18gbps?
Can't see why anyone would have a problem with the cable that comes with the PS5 though. Mine works fine.
The PS5 does come with a 48Gbps 2.1 cable.

Maybe he just needs to unplug and re-plug or change the resolution back and forth on the system level. Handshaking sometimes has issues once in a blue moon.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

I checked it out. If you turn on unsupported games, it appears to work for Elden Ring as well.

To me it’s so minor and you lose other things on my particular set, like auto dimming (im on the 900h) that it’s pretty much not worth it. I imagine there are no trade offs on newer oleds and such. But considering my next set I hope to be in the 95-100” range, not sure oled is happening.

The difference in the insomniac games seemed so minuscule I wasn’t sure it was even happening.

Whole thing is not a big deal imo if a game just has a proper frame rate. Glad it’s behind us though. Or it should be at least.

Last edited:

Arioco

I'm testing it right now on my CX and VRR works flawlessly. So definitely not the PS5 or the cable.

Or... Maybe I'm doing something wrong with my Q7. It's from 2018, by the way, so a year older than yours.

jorgejjvr

Tempest tries to stimulate how sound in the real world reaches your ears from different directions and is distorted by the shape of your ears (this is how your brain can determine sound directionality in real life beyond just left/right). But everyone's ears are physically different, and your brain is "tuned" to your specific ears, so a single algorithm won't work for everyone. The presets you can choose between on the PS5 are "averages" that should work well enough for most people, but none of them will be a perfect match for most people's ears. And it might just be that for you none of them are close enough to give you convincing 3D audio. The only real solution for this is to scan your ears so that an algorithm can be created just for you (which Sony actually lets you do with their headphones that have similar 3D audio support).
Any EQ recommendations?

TrebleShot

Been trying this out with the Insomniac games.

I have been saying this is a stupid and minor thing to have and I didn’t see much from it on the XSX BUT on SM and R&C this is absolutely transformative and incredible.

If devs decide to unlock their frame rates and allow higher than 30 but not quite 60 I will be very very happy. I’ve been playing most games in fidelity mode since I have a larger screen and notice the lack of 4K.

This is a game changer and I’m VERY happy to be proven completely wrong in my initial thoughts.

In terms of implementation I’m guessing we’ll see small patches for many games unlocking frame rate which would be great , for instance HFW needs this desperately on the fidelity mode.

I got questionssssssssssss. Did anyone try bloodborne on the ps5? Is VRR doing anything for the frameskipping it has? Also, how about.. Shadow of war? Is it running any better? The input lag is terrible on my own tv.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I got questionssssssssssss. Did anyone try bloodborne on the ps5? Is VRR doing anything for the frameskipping it has? Also, how about.. Shadow of war? Is it running any better? The input lag is terrible on my own tv.
Bloodborne won't work since it's a locked framerate for 30. VRR would help with framepacing for those who want to iron that out.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I checked it out. If you turn on unsupported games, it appears to work for Elden Ring as well.

To me it’s so minor and you lose other things on my particular set, like auto dimming (im on the 900h) that it’s pretty much not worth it. I imagine there are no trade offs on newer oleds and such. But considering my next set I hope to be in the 95-100” range, not sure oled is happening.

The difference in the insomniac games seemed so minuscule I wasn’t sure it was even happening.

Whole thing is not a big deal imo if a game just has a proper frame rate. Glad it’s behind us though. Or it should be at least.

Elden Ring CONSTANTLY stutters though, so I can't imagine the difference not being noticable there? Don't have a VRR capable TV myself so can't try it.

LordOfChaos

Just making sure, was this a system update, or a "system feature update" for yall? I still don't know why the two are split out like that, but my feature updates have just been throwing a "something went wrong" lately

ChiefDada

Gold Member
SMS let you play GoW on PS4 Pro years ago with an unlocked frame rate mode. No VRR needed.

Sure but that is not the norm amongst console developers. Uncapped GoW also had screen tearing on PS4 Pro. Most developers opt for consistent performance over uncapped framerate. That's why Insomniac isn't offering an uncapped mode for Ratchet and Spiderman unless users have vrr capable display, I would assume.

DarkestHour

Banned
What’s weird about it? You need unlocked frame rates to take advantage of VRR. Most games on consoles have locked frame rates. You need to patch that out to unlock it.

Yep, this makes sense. What didn't make sense is saying "supported" like even without unlocking frame rates that it somehow wouldn't work even for framerate dips.

But screen tearing is unlimited vrr doesn’t completely eliminate the feeling of frame drops especially below 60fps
If the fps drops are in the 50-60 range you can't really feel them if you have a VRR screen.CP 2077 doesn't have huge fps drops like elden ring only some minor drops by 5 or 10fps in some trouble spots with a lot of NPC'S.Series X have the same drops as PS5(50-60 range) in this game but in there VRR is working as intended and is totally smooth.PS5 on the other thing you steel can feel the judder from the FPS drops as before with VRR disabled. Believe me i have both consoles and both versions and PS5 doesn't work as intended!

Lokaum D+

My LG 27MU58 FreeSync only support via DP port, can i use a HDMI > DP in order to make the VRR work at my monitor ?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
PS5 VRR is only supported for framerates between 48-120 fps and is not supported in BC games.

Dr Bass

Elden Ring CONSTANTLY stutters though, so I can't imagine the difference not being noticable there? Don't have a VRR capable TV myself so can't try it.
The reason I know it works on Elden Ring even though it's "unsupported" (vs. the insomniac games) is because it was clearly noticeable yeah. It was basically smoothed out.

I also just don't give a crap. Like I said, unfortunately, on my set I lose other things I think are more important (color/contrast/image performance). The stutter every once in awhile doesn't bother me and I don't even really notice it while playing after you're into the game for a bit. Man I grew up on Mega Man games where things would chug all the time when the action got heavy. A tiny bit of occasional stutter? Who cares, what matters is the game. And VRR doesn't materially change the game.

I thought Ratchet and Spider-Man were borderline unnoticeable. The 40fps mode with 120hz is a way bigger deal than VRR in that case.

Still seems to be the same thing I've been saying it was. A band aid for poorly done games (again referencing the technical side of Elden Ring, while technically excellent Insomniac games barely benefit). I can see it being a bigger deal if you want to play at 120hz mode and your game varies a lot in the 90-120 range or something. But if your game is targeting 30-60, get your tech in gear IMO.

It's going to be a total non topic after awhile since the consoles are now at parity and it will be seen as what it is. A nice to have. Not sure there is much more to say about it, beyond that.

Hezekiah

Banned
You are the one dodging the point, I specifically said Dying Light 2 and it enables the developer to give modes which allow a boost in performance.
I can quote it again if you like?
Put it another way, you show me a way to play Dying Light 2 at over 60fps on Series X without VRR, I'll wait.
I'm not dodging anything, what was done with Dying Light could have been done without VRR.

Meanwhile earlier you were talking shit about VRR boosting performance. Clinging to one game on one platform as some kind of proof of something 💩

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The reason I know it works on Elden Ring even though it's "unsupported" (vs. the insomniac games) is because it was clearly noticeable yeah. It was basically smoothed out.

I also just don't give a crap. Like I said, unfortunately, on my set I lose other things I think are more important (color/contrast/image performance). The stutter every once in awhile doesn't bother me and I don't even really notice it while playing after you're into the game for a bit. Man I grew up on Mega Man games where things would chug all the time when the action got heavy. A tiny bit of occasional stutter? Who cares, what matters is the game. And VRR doesn't materially change the game.

I thought Ratchet and Spider-Man were borderline unnoticeable. The 40fps mode with 120hz is a way bigger deal than VRR in that case.

Still seems to be the same thing I've been saying it was. A band aid for poorly done games (again referencing the technical side of Elden Ring, while technically excellent Insomniac games barely benefit). I can see it being a bigger deal if you want to play at 120hz mode and your game varies a lot in the 90-120 range or something. But if your game is targeting 30-60, get your tech in gear IMO.

It's going to be a total non topic after awhile since the consoles are now at parity and it will be seen as what it is. A nice to have. Not sure there is much more to say about it, beyond that.

What's funny is that those old games on a CRT didn't actually stutter usually, they instead refreshed less frequently (and literally slowed down) when things got heavy. A bit like VRR (except modern games don't actually run slower when the framerate goes down of course).

Dr Bass

What's funny is that those old games on a CRT didn't actually stutter usually, they instead refreshed less frequently (and literally slowed down) when things got heavy. A bit like VRR (except modern games don't actually run slower when the framerate goes down of course).
I hear ya. My point was just I can deal with jank. And I think modern jank is a lot less than retro jank. :messenger_beaming:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
you can go pretty far on PC if you want to :)
I mean yea - PC almost always has options to work around it even if you do encounter issues, that's kind of the point.
But there's older crops of sw that did weird things with refresh as well as fixed-time steps that will just not play nice (with or without VRR to be fair, but still). Some are fixable through mods/configs, some aren't (eg. last I checked NFS:Rivals still only runs 60hz or above by forcing fixed-frame-doubling mode, which means you better never, ever drop frames in that game, else bad things tend to happen, and no amount of VRR will help. Similar for NFS:The Run).

also no PS4 games work
Out of curiosity here - but are there actually any PS4 games still left, that don't get maxed out framerate on PS5? As in - what would even benefit from VRR at all?
I mean even the likes of Until Dawn and BroForce seem basically perfect now (not that the type of game really suffers if a drop happens).

Last edited:

Xdrive05

So happy to see this! It's a big deal, folks. Also, for the Sony X900H, I can confirm local dimming doesn't work with any VRR solution (including G-Sync for Nvidia cards), so that's not a PS5 specific thing. Easy trade off for me as VRR is amazing.

Now I just need a PS5.

Top Bottom