• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR support rolling out this week for PS5

I love reading this so more people can now see what a game changer this feature has been all along. Downplaying it was always ridiculous and tied to console wars.

Yep, as was exaggerating its impact and what it does.

Yep both downplaying and exaggerating was done in regards for VRR. Now that both systems have it we can focus on other things besides bragging about how one system doesn’t have it or that it’s useless.

Damn Elden Ring feels nice now. Playing Metro Exodus but don't know if it support VRR. I have a Sony X900h is there any way to known if the VRR is running? Does tv have an option to see that?
If you set the hdmi 3 or 4 port to VRR enhanced mode and the PS5 to Vrr auto it will be enabled

You lose local diming though so you may come to the conclusion its not worth it as i have

Last edited:

GustavoLT

Also the VRR range is not locked at 48hz. Here's what the setting says in Spiderman:

IMG-20220427-042703.jpg

Where do you get your information?

Tested SpiderMan Remaster and the fidelity mode is locked at 40fps.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
How is that possible when 30 fps is out of VRR range?

It's going to be too funny when DF conduct their tests and it turns out half of the "it's smooth now" posts turn out to be down to placebo.

What John said about Elden Ring on the XSX does that apply to the PS5 version as well? He mentioned something about how it’s smoother but it still isn’t ideal due to how frequent the drops are.

Check the video I posted on the previous page. The framerates look to be decent. Well, at least they are in that area that was tested.

Last edited:

RafterXL

Also the VRR range is not locked at 48hz. Here's what the setting says in Spiderman:

IMG-20220427-042703.jpg

Where do you get your information?

It works in Elden Ring, just not as good as it should. And it's 100% no lower than 48hz VRR on PS5, even the video you linked says it in the description...lol. Literally go anywhere that people are talking about the VRR implementation and they are saying the same thing.

So yeah, it's smoother, and better than nothing, but it's not as well implemented as every other hardware that uses VRR and it's all because of Sony's stupid ass tvs.

Bottom line:

1) No system wide 120hz setting, which means only games with a 120hz mode benefit from lower latency.
2) 48hz minimum instead of 40hz everywhere else.
3) No LFC, which means ZERO benefit for any game that drops below 48fps. This makes VRR much more limited than other solutions.
4) No Gysnc or Freesync support, which is why we have to have a compatible tvs and monitors list, unlike PC or Xbox where they just work.

I'm glad they finally released *something* and for games like Nioh 2 120hz mode or Ghostwire Toyko it's significantly better, but it's a half assed solution that's going to be hit and miss with a lot of games compared to just working everywhere else.

It should have and could have been so much better, but they're more worried about not making their tvs look bad than supporting the full range of displays available to their Playstation customers.

RafterXL

My dude writes a bait warrior bullshit, and get triggered by my harmless comment.
No I'm not joining your outrage crusade. Deal with it

Lol that post history. Fuck out here hypocrite
Dude, you literally posted that shit as bait warrior nonsense. It has nothing to do with this topic. It wasn't addressing any comment in this thread. It was a preemptive "oh no they're gonna say something else bad about Playstation" nonsense comment that had no reason to exist.

And that's your entire history on this forum. In fact, there is a group of 5-10 of you that do nothing but post shit like this constantly to skirt the console wars modding and it's annoying.

You're boy Entho was one of them and he's gone, you'd think that might make you think twice about stirring up shit just to stir it but here you are again.

Nothing I posted was warrior bait, it was commentary as PS5 owner...lol. Sorry that I don't go full brand warrior like some of you because I purchase their hardware and play their games.

FrankWza

All of it. Nothing he claims is reality.

It's 100% the case now. The PS4 version on the PS5 and the Xbox Series version have interchangeable load times. They're virtually identical and the PS4 has NEVER been three times faster as people like Captain Shill claim. Hell, the PS5 version still takes 6-7 seconds to load, which would mean the PS4 version would have to be even faster to do that and it's not.

So, because of the idiotic way that Sony has implemented 120hz and VRR on their system, Elden Ring is still not as smooth as it should be on a PS5. They care more about their television specs than they do their Playstation customers. The VRR range is locked at 48hz instead of 40hz, they didn't implement 120hz from a system level, which means no latency improvements, and they never added LFC, which means that this entire thing is significantly gimped compared to PC or Xbox.

So, basically, they made us wait well over a year for a half assed implementation. Awesome.

Why are you so insecure that you have to proactively come up with shit to be antagonistic about?

You guys and your constant bait and warrior bullshit are what's literally creating terrible discussions on this forum.
It works in Elden Ring, just not as good as it should. And it's 100% no lower than 48hz VRR on PS5, even the video you linked says it in the description...lol. Literally go anywhere that people are talking about the VRR implementation and they are saying the same thing.

So yeah, it's smoother, and better than nothing, but it's not as well implemented as every other hardware that uses VRR and it's all because of Sony's stupid ass tvs.

Bottom line:

1) No system wide 120hz setting, which means only games with a 120hz mode benefit from lower latency.
3) No LFC, which means ZERO benefit for any game that drops below 48fps. This makes VRR much more limited than other solutions.
4) No Gysnc or Freesync support, which is why we have to have a compatible tvs and monitors list, unlike PC or Xbox where they just work.

I'm glad they finally released *something* and for games like Nioh 2 120hz mode or Ghostwire Toyko it's significantly better, but it's a half assed solution that's going to be hit and miss with a lot of games compared to just working everywhere else.

It should have and could have been so much better, but they're more worried about not making their tvs look bad than supporting the full range of displays available to their Playstation customers.
Dude, you literally posted that shit as bait warrior nonsense. It has nothing to do with this topic. It wasn't addressing any comment in this thread. It was a preemptive "oh no they're gonna say something else bad about Playstation" nonsense comment that had no reason to exist.

And that's your entire history on this forum. In fact, there is a group of 5-10 of you that do nothing but post shit like this constantly to skirt the console wars modding and it's annoying.

You're boy Entho was one of them and he's gone, you'd think that might make you think twice about stirring up shit just to stir it but here you are again.

Nothing I posted was warrior bait, it was commentary as PS5 owner...lol. Sorry that I don't go full brand warrior like some of you because I purchase their hardware and play their games.
Listen Up Reaction GIF by Laff

GHG

Gold Member

Bottom line:

So if it is indeed a minimum of 48hz then why are there people reporting that games running below that are smoother?

So much for it being a game changing feature for the console when all it took was a dose of placebo to make people happy.

RafterXL

So if it is indeed a minimum of 48hz then why are there people reporting that games running below that are smoother?

So much for it being a game changing feature for the console when all it took was a dose of placebo to make people happy.
What people and what games?

Tygeezy

Bottom line:

Gsync is for nvidia hardware and neither console has nvidia hardware. Freesync support would be nice though for those 2018 samsung tv owners that only have freesync and were never updated to support the generic hdmi forum vrr solution. LFC works on the games that allow 120 hz output. It's unfortunate that it isn't system wide, but good developers like insomniac will ensure 120 hz support in their games.

Tygeezy

Someone would needs a tv like lg oled cx and up that both supports a range as low as 40 and has a diagnostic menu that shows the current framerate. If it fluctuates from vrr to fixed when it dips below 48 then we will know for sure. It's probably hard to test this though.

FrankWza

Read through the thread.

There are a few examples on the last couple of pages with some VRR fetish members congratulating them.

Brilliant stuff. Love to see it.
The best is the “experts” coming in with their blessings on the implementation.

You say cool
They say nope it’s GREAT
You say great.
They say no it’s incredible
You say incredible
They say You’re Gonna Pee out of Your Butts!

GHG

Gold Member
Someone would needs a tv like lg oled cx and up that both supports a range as low as 40 and has a diagnostic menu that shows the current framerate. If it fluctuates from vrr to fixed when it dips below 48 then we will know for sure. It's probably hard to test this though.

Yeh were going to need DF, NX Gamer and Vincent from HDTV Test to figure it all out but regardless, the results will be interesting in light of everything said so far.

So what do we expect any game affected by this? Elden ring look better now?

It doesn't make games look better.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Man, Spiderman went from 200 watts to 228 watts in Performance mode which goes up to 100 fps now. Fidelity mode at native 4k and what feels like 60 fps is also 224 watts. It was clear that the variable tflops stuff had a lot of headroom built in because this is all the GPU consuming power by running at max clocks.

Sadly, the annoying PS5 humming or coil whine is the loudest in these unlocked modes. they are very noticeable while playing whereas before you could tune it out by turning up the volume a bit.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Man, Spiderman went from 200 watts to 228 watts in Performance mode which goes up to 100 watts now. Fidelity mode at native 4k and what feels like 60 fps is also 224 watts. It was clear that the variable tflops stuff had a lot of headroom built in because this is all the GPU consuming power by running at max clocks.

Sadly, the annoying PS5 humming or coil whine is the loudest in these unlocked modes. they are very noticeable while playing whereas before you could tune it out by turning up the volume a bit.
Come on ps5 slim

It seems my Samsung q70r vrr only works through HDMI port 1 on my TV. If this is true I can only have 1 console connected at a time.
Can anyone else with a samsung q70r confirm this sad disheartened news?
Im gonna leave my Series X on HDMI port 1 and just never use the PS5 vrr.
This cant be correct. I must have something set wrong.

GHG

Gold Member
It seems my Samsung q70r vrr only works through HDMI port 1 on my TV. If this is true I can only have 1 console connected at a time.
Can anyone else with a samsung q70r confirm this sad disheartened news?
Im gonna leave my Series X on HDMI port 1 and just never use the PS5 vrr.
This cant be correct. I must have something set wrong.

No that's correct for the Q70r. Port 1 only for some reason unfortunately. I'm getting rid of mine for a c1 in the next couple of weeks anyway. I was going to keep it around for other purposes but I'd rather just buy more OLEDs.

No that's correct for the Q70r. Port 1 only for some reason unfortunately. I'm getting rid of mine for a c1 in the next couple of weeks anyway. I was going to keep it around for other purposes but I'd rather just buy more OLEDs.
Thanks for confirming. I may move this q70r into another room and look into getting a new tv.

TheShocker

I mean this as neutrally as possible as I own both consoles, but is there supposed to be anything better than the VRR that’s already been available for the Series X. Playing on an LG CX.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I must say Elden Ring PS5 version now feels much better with VRR (only in performance mode obviously, VRR range being 48-120), at least where I am in Lyendell. I played all the game on PS4 version on PS5, which was locked 60 so great too, but you gain slightly better visuals that way.

This particular PS5 game certainly is one of those which needed VRR with its unstable framerate.

Absolutely. I played the PS4 version on PS5 in BC. Hit some backlog and GT7 and MLB. Now when I replay I can play the PS5 version and get a graphics bump and smoothness.
So glad you are seeing the benefit. This is all I was trying to really champion about when discussing VRR. that it will allow competent devs like insomniac to add further options to unlock framerate and create an even better experience for those with supported displays.

Then in an situation like elden ring it will allow us the players have a better experience when the devs fuck up.

Woke up excited as I have a day off and can't wait to play some spider man and more. Funking nice surprise Sony. Hyped.

VRR is the shit and ps5 just got even better!

Kagey K

Banned
Right I forgot, VRR on PS5 is shit because
I know, now that everyone can experience it, it's one more step towards making DF comparisons obsolete.

Thank fick we dont have to argue over 1 or 2 frames in a 30 hour game anymore.

General consensus seems to be it made things better, because that's what it does.

Nice to see people no longer downplaying it

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Seems like the PS5 doesn't support LFC for frame rates that dip below 48fps.

There is no working VRR for elden ring in quaility mode on PS5.
That’s weirdly said.
It’s up to you monitor. But you need to be able to double the hz in lfc.
Elden ring rings in a 60hz container. So you can do 35fps as 70hz

ShakenG

I’m kinda annoyed that we have way too many options now.

30fps fidelity (4K)
60fps lower resolution
40fps 120Hz
VRR fidelity uncapped
VRR 120 uncapped

So my fear is devs will just rely on VRR too much and make sucky performing games because…. Buy a new TV and then deal with a variable frame rate where the input lag is no longer consistent.
Yes, while im most certainly in the minority.. i prefer Games like GT7, having 1 option and the game being prioritised around that. Maybe 2 tops would be ideal, Simple 30fps and 60fps option.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The stutters I used to get in Returnal when going from one phase to the next in Tower of Sisyphus seems to have improved significantly. I don't think it's placebo but would be nice if someone could corroborate.

Horizon really needs a 40fps vrr mode like spider man

Based on the IQ gap between the existing fidelity and performance modes, I wonder if there's enough performance to maintain 40+ fps while retaining fidelity mode iq.

Kagey K

Banned
Yes, while im most certainly in the minority.. i prefer Games like GT7, having 1 option and the game being prioritised around that. Maybe 2 tops would be ideal, Simple 30fps and 60fps option.
Should be visuals, performance or uncapped.

If your system detects a vrr tv uncapped should always be the default.

Why choose if your system can detect the tv and always perform best under your circumstances?

Seems like you want to limit yourself for fun.

Last edited:

30fps fidelity (4K)
60fps lower resolution
40fps 120Hz
VRR fidelity uncapped
VRR 120 uncapped

So my fear is devs will just rely on VRR too much and make sucky performing games because…. Buy a new TV and then deal with a variable frame rate where the input lag is no longer consistent.
Some combo of 30, 40/120, 60, and 120 should be the standards . Everything else is compensating for bad engines or poor development choices.

I don’t want to get into a 30/60 fps debate, but no reason why mid/late gen games shouldn’t be targeting locked 30 and 40/120hz when pushing the hardware. I’ll be shocked if Spider-Man 2 or Gears 6 ship with more than these two options, and maybe a 1080p/60 mode

Can anyone please confirm, once and for all, if the LG B9 supports VRR at 4K and 120 Hz with a range of 40-120 Hz?

I keep reading conflicting information on this and even RTINGS.com state in their review that the B9 only supports VRR at 4K in the 40-60 Hz range. Yet my Xbox Series X and now my PS5 (which received the VRR update yesterday) both state that VRR is active to 120 Hz (in the case of the PS5 only from 48 Hz though rather than 40 Hz but that's likely Sony just being Sony!). My TV has the latest firmware update (05.20.15 from February 2022) and obviously VRR is enabled in the console settings.

I have both consoles set to 120 Hz and the few games I've tried that run with a 120 fps mode feel smooth to play without any stuttering or tearing so on that basis it does seem like VRR is working up to 120 Hz. If so then why do RTINGS.com and Which state that at 4K VRR only goes to 60 Hz?

clintar

Can anyone please confirm, once and for all, if the LG B9 supports VRR at 4K and 120 Hz with a range of 40-120 Hz?

I keep reading conflicting information on this and even RTINGS.com state in their review that the B9 only supports VRR at 4K in the 40-60 Hz range. Yet my Xbox Series X and now my PS5 (which received the VRR update yesterday) both state that VRR is active to 120 Hz (in the case of the PS5 only from 48 Hz though rather than 40 Hz but that's likely Sony just being Sony!). My TV has the latest firmware update (05.20.15 from February 2022) and obviously VRR is enabled in the console settings.

I have both consoles set to 120 Hz and the few games I've tried that run with a 120 fps mode feel smooth to play without any stuttering or tearing so on that basis it does seem like VRR is working up to 120 Hz. If so then why do RTINGS.com and Which state that at 4K VRR only goes to 60 Hz?
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/vrr-compatible-monitor-tv-list-for-ps5-from-reddit.1635644 says it works

Sony's decision to base the VRR range from 48-120 Hz rather than 40-120 Hz surely makes the unlocked 40 fps / 120 Hz modes potentially flawed if a game drops below 48 fps at which point VRR would not be working and the game would exhibit stuttering (and even screen tearing, eeek!) in the 41-47 fps range?

I really don't understand why Sony have set the lower limit at 48 instead of 40 Hz? It is a limitation of their TVs or something?

I tested a number of Ubisoft games last night on my PS5, always a good publisher to use for screen tearing since almost *all* of their games have this issue to a lesser or greater degree!!! Anyway, Far Cry 6, Watch Dogs: Legion (60 fps mode) and Assassin's Creed: Valhalla all appear to run smoothly now without screen tearing but I did spot what I thought was once instance of screen tearing in Far Cry 6 but it may have just been a camera stutter.

rofif

Banned

30fps fidelity (4K)
60fps lower resolution
40fps 120Hz
VRR fidelity uncapped
VRR 120 uncapped

OH 100% THIS !!!
It's a console. I want to GO. PLAY. I've got pc for settings.
Now I have to watch digital foundry for the analysis of framerate and graphics because naming on these bad graphical modes is too obtuse.
and on top of that with vrr - some games run in 60hz container, other in 120hz. Those running in 60hz container probably vrr only works 40 or 48hz up to 60. 120hz container, it's 20 or 40 or 48hz up to 120. And then there is changing gamma and stuff when running with vrr on oleds.

Don't get me wrong - vrr is universally good. At least it makes drops less noticeable and stutter free. Elden ring 57fps is now amazing. But quality mode sucks ass still. It should be 30fps locked probably or ideally RUNNING in 120hz container

Top Bottom