• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR support rolling out this week for PS5

FrankWza

Only for the cx, c1, and presumably the c2. Despite the c9 being their first tv to have VRR for lg it never received this bit of software info.
You can access this info on 9s. Channels/ channel tuning and press 1 5 times and there’s additional under * more and *hdmi as well

Last edited:

FrankWza

Sorry, could you explain this a bit more for the dumb people here (me),. I cant figure out how to get the info on my c9
Sorry. Go to settings-all settings scroll down to channels then press right and highlight channel tuning and press 1 5 times. Then inside there there’s your info and 2 more options to scroll and select called hdmi and more. More is just WiFi diagnostics though.

On remote:
-Gear/settings button
-all settings
-channels
-cursor over channel tuning(highlighted)
-press #1button 5 times

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Guys do we have a topic for TV suggestions?

Coming from a Sony Xf9005 I'm thinking on pulling the trigger for a X90J, since it's with a really cool promotion until tomorrow - 800€.

Im deciding between X90J and LG C1, but the extra 200€ + burn in are really making me lean more towards Sony (Always had Sony tvs, there's also that).

Sorry. Go to settings-all settings scroll down to channels then press right and highlight channel tuning and press 1 5 times. Then inside there there’s your info and 2 more options to scroll and select called hdmi and more. More is just WiFi diagnostics though.

On remote:
-Gear/settings button
-all settings
-channels
-press #1button 5 times
Thanks, I'll try that :messenger_fistbump:

RafterXL

Tom can't help himself but to dig at Sony a little he is a joke for supposed "media"

Alex, while I don't like him, has a point and its pretty selfish of Sony to not have full Freesync support
Tom always has these kind of poking the needle type takes, and it's totally unnecessary.

But Alex is 100% right. And that's just the beginning of this discussion. When these tech sites start really breaking it down they're going to start complaining about all the same things some of us have been saying since the VRR drop. They didn't support these features because Sony TVs don't support these features. It's stupid.

Anyway, I've been messing around with it some more and 120hz games all seem to be working great. Insomniacs games are all perfect and should be the standard going forward. Ratchet and Clank was the only game I found a problem with, it has some weird issue where it turns VRR off if the frames drop, I dunno what that's about.

60hz games are a totally different story. While MUCH improved it's not as good as it should be. Elden Ring, for instance is massively better than it was, but it's still not as playable as the PS4 or XSX version. There are multiple areas and fights where it hovers around high 40's to low 50's and any time the counter goes below 48 (which is 100% the floor on PS5)you feel the studders. Btw, if you load a game and then go into the video page it literally tells you the VRR range. Elden Ring is 48-60, like every 60hz game. These issues don't happen on the XSX due to a lower VRR floor (40hz) and LFR (20hz) being available due to a system WIDE 120hz mode.

Returnal is another game that should benefit from VRR but reports are it's not working with it at all. I don't have this game anymore so I can't confirm.

Overall, it's a noticable improvement, and if all you play are Sony first party titles you'll only know the difference between having it and not. However, if you own multiple platforms it's not nearly as good of a solution as they offer. Hopefully Sony comes to their senses and adds the lacking features, but I doubt it because it would make their tvs look bad in comparison.

Coming from a Sony Xf9005 I'm thinking on pulling the trigger for a X90J, since it's with a really cool promotion until tomorrow - 800€.

Im deciding between X90J and LG C1, but the extra 200€ + burn in are really making me lean more towards Sony (Always had Sony tvs, there's also that).
The C1 is a significantly better tv. If all you play is Playstation, and price is that important, you might as well get the Sony tv since it won't take full advantage of the C1 specs anyway. If you have multiple systems get the C1, it's damn near a perfect gaming tv. Of course if burn in is a huge issue to you you've already decided.

Arioco

I would pick the LG, to be honest.

Last edited:

Complistic

how the heck is that some "back end" secret update and not official firmware?!
How does that even work. Does this mean it was in fact there, in the latest firmware update and they just unlocked it ?
DsFZADPX4AANZvz

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I am one of those people that only really enjoy my OLED at night when I can shut off other lights.

Other than that OLEDs do not get bright enough for me in all honesty but I don't know how well that X90J does in that regards either.

Can tell you I also own an X900H and again just in my opinion it pops better through the day as it just gets brighter in larger windows on screen

Tom always has these kind of poking the needle type takes, and it's totally unnecessary.

But Alex is 100% right. And that's just the beginning of this discussion. When these tech sites start really breaking it down they're going to start complaining about all the same things some of us have been saying since the VRR drop. They didn't support these features because Sony TVs don't support these features. It's stupid.

Anyway, I've been messing around with it some more and 120hz games all seem to be working great. Insomniacs games are all perfect and should be the standard going forward. Ratchet and Clank was the only game I found a problem with, it has some weird issue where it turns VRR off if the frames drop, I dunno what that's about.

60hz games are a totally different story. While MUCH improved it's not as good as it should be. Elden Ring, for instance is massively better than it was, but it's still not as playable as the PS4 or XSX version. There are multiple areas and fights where it hovers around high 40's to low 50's and any time the counter goes below 48 (which is 100% the floor on PS5)you feel the studders. Btw, if you load a game and then go into the video page it literally tells you the VRR range. Elden Ring is 48-60, like every 60hz game. These issues don't happen on the XSX due to a lower VRR floor (40hz) and LFR (20hz) being available due to a system WIDE 120hz mode.

Returnal is another game that should benefit from VRR but reports are it's not working with it at all. I don't have this game anymore so I can't confirm.

Overall, it's a noticable improvement, and if all you play are Sony first party titles you'll only know the difference between having it and not. However, if you own multiple platforms it's not nearly as good of a solution as they offer. Hopefully Sony comes to their senses and adds the lacking features, but I doubt it because it would make their tvs look bad in comparison.

The C1 is a significantly better tv. If all you play is Playstation, and price is that important, you might as well get the Sony tv since it won't take full advantage of the C1 specs anyway. If you have multiple systems get the C1, it's damn near a perfect gaming tv. Of course if burn in is a huge issue to you you've already decided.
You still get infrequent drops with heavy effects on series X

El gallo

On remote:
-Gear/settings button
-all settings
-channels
-press #1button 5 times
I own a C9 so thanks for the info. But i had to read this more than I would have liked to.

FrankWza

That menu doesn’t display vrr information.
It shows the frame rate. Is there more to it than that? Do the x and newer show realtime stats as you’re playing?
Edit: I see. Whether or not vrr is active? Yeah you’re right the only way to get that is probably with the service remote on c9. I’ll see if it’s possible.

Last edited:

Rea

I tried Miles Morales in fidelity mode 40fps 120hz with VRR, and I thought the game was smoother than 40fps (which I had already tested on Ratchet prior to the VRR update).

but we have influencers like him saying stuff like that:

Any truth to this?

I can confirm Spider-Man/Miles on Fidelity mode with 120hz and VRR has more than 40fps typically around 40-60 range but it fluctuates alot, sometimes i feel that it's lower than 40fps but quickly comes back to 40. Personally not my favorite because i can feel the stuttery images whenever the game is at 40fps. VRR won't solve the low framerates stutter. Personally I prefer lock 40fps. But RT performance mode is mind-blowing. Smooth as butter.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Dont pick anything over an OLED especially to save just $200 bucks. OLED burn in is not an issue. You can look at several tv sites who have done burn in tests for weeks if not months and its really not an issue. I use my OLED to browse the internet. Have been for a year and a half. Forget worrying about static HUD elements, i literally have the PC windows taskbar on at all times and google chrome browser on at all times and i havent seen any burn in.

OLED picture quality is just light years ahead of LEDs. Just go to a shop and look at them side by side. It's not even close. LG OLEDs are absolutely incredible for gaming. They have gsync support. They have all 4 HDMI slots VRR/HMDI2.1 compatible which is a huge deal because these Sony sets have only two and one of them is for your soundbar. I can have PC, PS5, e-Arc soundbar and another console attached to a HDMI 2.1 slot without having to worry about switching all the time.

OLEDs also have better input lag than regular TVs. HDTVTECH recently did a video on how non-OLED input lag marketing is deceptive. OLEDs are much more responsive beyond the advertised input lag due to the reasons mentioned in that video that I cant articulate atm.

The only thing kinda sorta bad about OLEDs is the brightness during HDR, but its not a big deal because you will only notice it in big bright explosions and the C1 has improved brightness over my CX by 200 nits. My CX still gets very bright in the dark room. We were watching Batman the other day and one of the scenes had these flashes on screen and we had to look away it was so bright.

The LG C series tvs are simply the best tvs out there. Trust me, i bought the Sony x900H and had instant buyers remorse. Went out and bought a LG CX and have had no issues. It just works. VRR, Gysnc, freesync, incredible picture quality, 4 hdmi ports, no bugs (sony x900 is buggy as fuck... wifi issues, audio issues, vrr issues. its a mess. Sony tvs are not what they used to be). Just go with the LG OLEDs. Think of it as a long term investment and do not cheap out.

SlimySnake

Ok, so fanboys like Colt I understand, but why are professionals like Alex (lol), Tom Warren, and Destin Legarie always critcizing what Sony is doing?
Because they are fanboys just like Colt Eastwood. Alex was in the infamous xbox discord server that was sending fake insiders to gaf to start fake rumors. One of those insiders tried to fool us with tflops numbers and a fake PS5 controller pic. A couple of era members who were part of that discord were caught and banned because they knew the PS5 10.2 tflops number hours before the offical Road to PS5 reveal. The only media who had been given an advance viewing of the Road to PS5 were Digital Foundry. No one else knew and when confronted about how they knew they refused to answer and took the ban to protect Alex.

One of the era members did an incredible takedown of Alex a few years ago over his attempts to downplay the PS5 SSD. He blew a gasket and got the mods to ban everyone who criticized him.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

I can confirm Spider-Man/Miles on Fidelity mode with 120hz and VRR has more than 40fps typically around 40-60 range but it fluctuates alot, sometimes i feel that it's lower than 40fps but quickly comes back to 40. Personally not my favorite because i can feel the stuttery images whenever the game is at 40fps. VRR won't solve the low framerates stutter. Personally I prefer lock 40fps. But RT performance mode is mind-blowing. Smooth as butter.

I was wondering, do the games run higher than 60fps in performance mode?

solidus12

Because they are fanboys just like Colt Eastwood. Alex was in the infamous xbox discord server that was sending fake insiders to gaf to start fake rumors. One of those insiders tried to fool us with tflops numbers and a fake PS5 controller pic. A couple of era members who were part of that discord were caught and banned because they knew the PS5 10.2 tflops number hours before the offical Road to PS5 reveal. The only media who had been given an advance viewing of the Road to PS5 were Digital Foundry. No one else knew and when confronted about how they knew they refused to answer and took the ban to protect Alex.

One of the era members did an incredible takedown of Alex a few years ago over his attempts to downplay the PS5 SSD. He blew a gasket and got the mods to ban everyone who criticized him.
Yeah Alex acts like a fanboy, I remember him calling Miles Morales Spider-Man whatever... :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Am I the only one around here that didn’t want unlocked frame rates? I don’t want my frame rate to float up to 120Hz sometimes and 50hz other times. I thought VRR was going to be there to catch when a game dropped from 60fps to 59, 58 etc. not to just put the ceiling at 120 and letting the game do whatever.

Rea

Am I the only one around here that didn’t want unlocked frame rates? I don’t want my frame rate to float up to 120Hz sometimes and 50hz other times. I thought VRR was going to be there to catch when a game dropped from 60fps to 59, 58 etc. not to just put the ceiling at 120 and letting the game do whatever.
Yes you can disable the 120hz mode in the PS5 system settings.
nXjotd2.jpg

SlimySnake

Shit, vrr doesn't work with 120hz??? I went to cold war and it stays at 60hz with vrr
of course it does. people are playing ratchet and spiderman at 100 fps. It could be a cold war thing.

I tried doom's 120 fps mode and it was working.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

of course it does. people are playing ratchet and spiderman at 100 fps. It could be a cold war thing.

I tried doom's 120 fps mode and it was working.
Hmm 🤔 I turned it on again with the game running, and it says 120hz now, maye a bug from switching games? Who knows, Spiderman 40 fps with 120hz mode did also work, could be cold war

Kerotan

I played miles Morales and this is a game changer. After you play the 60fps modes 30fps is a migraine inducing slideshow. But with 120hz mode and VRR enable it now feels like 60fps with insane graphics. This is huge and hopefully more Devs patch in this 40fps mode.

kyliethicc

They gotta make 120hz system wide
Nah. Would force 422 instead 444 for 60 Hz games. Pointless.

PS5 handles it perfectly. 60 Hz for the OS and most games, 120 output for games that use it.

Sony A80J

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I played miles Morales and this is a game changer. After you play the 60fps modes 30fps is a migraine inducing slideshow. But with 120hz mode and VRR enable it now feels like 60fps with insane graphics. This is huge and hopefully more Devs patch in this 40fps mode.
This was all I was ever trying to imply. Great to hear you're enjoying the update.

We are inching towards true next gen now, with true next gen features in our front rooms. Exciting stuff.

The next naughty dog games and insomniac etc are gonna be amazing with this tech.

Banned
Nah. Would force 422 instead 444 for 60 Hz games. Pointless.

in order to make VRR usable for more games you need to have an option to force 120hz as anything that drops below 48fps will be outside the VRR window of the console.

with 120hz output and Low Framerate Compensation a game can drop all the way down to 24fps and still be smoothed out by VRR

Elden Ring on PS5 will still have noticeable stutters for example, because the game does have drops below 48fps and those will stand out during gameplay.
if you could force 120hz you wouldn't notice them thanks to Low Framerate Compensation possible at that refresh rate

kyliethicc

in order to make VRR usable for more games you need to have an option to force 120hz as anything that drops below 48fps will be outside the VRR window of the console.

with 120hz output and Low Framerate Compensation a game can drop all the way down to 24fps and still be smoothed out by VRR

Elden Ring on PS5 will still have noticeable stutters for example, because the game does have drops below 48fps and those will stand out during gameplay.
if you could force 120hz you wouldn't notice them thanks to Low Framerate Compensation possible at that refresh rate
Option 1 - dev can just do what Insomniac did

Option 2 - FromSoft can fix their shit engine

Zathalus

Your mistake is thinking they are professionals.

I'm sorry, but if someone is a respected professional in the tech industry then they are not rocking a NU 8000 in 2022 as their main display.
What a bizarre post. Having a NU 8000 is not going to impact his analysis of games at all.

Additionally, is Nxgamer not a respected professional either as he does not have a 3090?

Banned
Option 1 - dev can just do what Insomniac did

Option 2 - FromSoft can fix their shit engine

Option 3 - Sony could give us an option to fix issues created by developers and therefore improve their vrr support :)

also 120hz will reduce input lag on many TVs, which means such an option can also be used by people who simply want better latency

Last edited:

Banned
Your mistake is thinking they are professionals.

I'm sorry, but if someone is a respected professional in the tech industry then they are not rocking a NU 8000 in 2022 as their main display.

Alex doesn't play on that TV, he plays on PC, most likely with a monitor that is better for videogames than any TV anyone on here owns...

additionally that Samsung is a better gaming TV than most new Sony TVs, so should we discredit everyone who owns a Sony TV?

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Alex doesn't play on that TV, he plays on PC, most likely with a monitor that is better for videogames than any TV anyone on here owns...

additionally that Samsung is a better gaming TV than most new Sony TVs, so should we discredit everyone who owns a Sony TV?

If you're buying it for gaming? Yes. I've already said as much before.

In an era where HDR is important I wouldn't be so sure regarding your statement on his monitor. There are plenty of TV's now with input lag and response times that are competitive with gaming monitors and they don't compromise on things like HDR and IQ features. I wouldn't even be willing to put money on his monitor being half decent.

What a bizarre post. Having a NU 8000 is not going to impact his analysis of games at all.

Additionally, is Nxgamer not a respected professional either as he does not have a 3090?

It's about credibility. He's talked about HDR in his analysis before. You would think he would have the hardware at hand necessary to cover certain topics thoroughly but he doesn't.

Regarding Nxgamer this discussion came up in his most recent thread where he covered the PC and I said he needs to upgrade in order to be able to do this kind of analysis work properly - there's no reason to still be using a 2700x and use it as a point of comparison in 2022.

Last edited:

Rea

24fps with VRR will still feel worse than the 30fps locked. VRR wont solve low framerates stuttery images when in motion. No game should drop to less than 48 fps when its targeting 60fps. I can feel the stutter images when drop to less than 50 fps.

Agree with VRR improving latency. So the gameplay will feel snappier.

Having tested out around a dozen or so PS5 games with VRR over the last two days, most of which were unsupported but had working VRR support (confirmed by going to the Settings > Screen & Video > Video Output Information screen while the game is running), I am happy with it for the most part but it is clear that Sony's implementation is currently flawed compared with Xbox Series consoles for the following reasons:

1. Unsupported (i.e. unpatched) games that drop below 48 fps exhibit stuttering as VRR is not supported below 48 Hz, which defeats the whole point of using it. This happens in Godfall (which is supposed to be supoorted!) due to having a wildly fluctuating framerate in its Resolution/Graphics mode and, although I don't own this game on PS5 (I bought it for Xbox Series X), I have seen YouTube videos of this issue in Elden Ring as well, a game from FromSoftware who are notorious for poor optimisation.

The problem here is that VRR is 18 months late on PS5 so older games may never receive official VRR support via a patch. I cannot imagine games like The Smurfs: Mission Vileaf, which runs with stuttering on PS5 even with VRR enabled, will ever get a patch because the developers have seemingly ignored the game since launch. This game runs fine on Xbox Series X by the way with VRR even though it has a framerate that goes up but rarely stays at 60 fps.

As long as games are optimised to stay above 48 fps then this isn't an issue - it works great in Ubisoft games such as Far Cry 6 for example, fixing the terrible screen tearing - but without patches then those 60 Hz games that drop below 48 fps are going to be jarring to play; smooth one second then suddenly stuttering as the framerate dips below the 48 fps lower limit. Not great.

Finally, according to John Linnerman of Digital Foundry, the Xbox Series consoles have a range of 40-120 Hz compared with 48-120 Hz on PS5. That might not sound much but it obviously offers a wider range of VRR for 60 fps and 120 fps games. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Spider-Man Remastered and Spider-Man: Miles Morales, which all have 40 fps / 120 Hz modes would be able to run uncapped at 40 fps at 60 fps with VRR if the range was 40-120 Hz on PS5.

2. The PS5 has no option to force all games to run at 120 Hz which means they have to be individually patched to support it. This means that LFC (Low Framerate Compensation) doesn't work as it should on PS5 at lower framerates and is why unpatched games locked to 60 fps will stutter below 48 fps as LFC cannot double the framerate (basically displaying one frame for two display refreshes) to bring the framerate within the 48-120 Hz VRR range, e.g. double 47 fps to 94 Hz to fall within the 48-120 Hz VRR spec.

3. For some weird reason, some first-party games are not supporting VRR even with the Unsupported option forced, e.g. Gran Turismo 7 and Horizon: Forbidden West. Sure, those games are already mostly locked at 60 fps but they *do* dip below this from time to time (GT7 in its 60 fps replay mode for example and on certain tracks during a grid start) so VRR would help makes those instances unnoticeable. iI is surprising that these were not coded with VRR in mind out of the box. Forcing VRR at a system level should engage VRR in all games, including PS4 backward compatible games in my opinion, but, for whatever reason, both those games are coded to deliberately disable it and require a patch to add VRR support.

I have been using VRR on my Xbox Series X since last December when I bought the console and, in my opinion, Microsoft's implementation works so much better. It is enabled in the console settings and it just works with every game I own, including older Xbox games (Xbox One, Xbox 360 and original Xbox), something that isn't the case with the PS5 which only currently supports PS5 games (and then not all of those either). Hopefully, Sony will improve VRR over time and it is great to finally see VRR on a Sony console. Sony always take their sweet time doing anything the competition has had for years but they normally get there in the end!

Last edited:

Banned
If you're buying it for gaming? Yes. I've already said as much before.

In an era where HDR is important I wouldn't be so sure regarding your statement on his monitor. There are plenty of TV's now with input lag and response times that are competitive with gaming monitors and they don't compromise on things like HDR and IQ features. I wouldn't even be willing to put money on his monitor being half decent.

TVs that advertise these low latency numbers are A: still worse than good PC monitors and B: only usually are close to PC monitors when playing at 120hz

and image quality shouldn't be an issue either on a PC monitor with accurate color reproduction and low pixel response time, the latter of which is also usually vastly superior than on any modern TV and PC monitors usually have better BFI features on top of that, making motion clarity reach way higher levels than possible on any TV and usually with less of a dimming effect as well

Dream-Knife

Banned
Welcome to 2015 my dudes.

VRR can improve things, but it gets hard around 30 fps. I know I had a lot of trouble with the Nocturne remake and screen tearing.

Banned
24fps with VRR will still feel worse than the 30fps locked. VRR wont solve low framerates stuttery images when in motion. No game should drop to less than 48 fps when its targeting 60fps. I can feel the stutter images when drop to less than 50 fps.

Agree with VRR improving latency. So the gameplay will feel snappier.

low Framerate + VRR is still superior than low Framerate - VRR
there's no arguing against that, so 120hz support as a systemwide feature would be great

Top Bottom