• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR support rolling out this week for PS5

Borowski_1

Cracking Up Lol GIF

don't know why you're laughing, that person is right

even then, you only take advantage of 8bit + FRC or 10bit if you use HDR

SDR content like most games, movies, videos, only work in the sRGB space, not DPI-C3 or Rec 2020

Arioco

Interesting video.

In summary us Sony fans have been sold a lie, VRR doesn't just work.

Even with an unlocked framerate and 120 hz mode one console just canna do it.

Bit of a shit show on the other one also apart from 120 mode. Looks like both need some sort of VRR update

The update for that game in particular has been corfirmed by Sony. We don't know anything about an update for Series X, but it would be a good opportunity for Capcom to fix any issues with VRR/Freesync on all platforms.

omegasc

Interesting video.

In summary us Sony fans have been sold a lie, VRR doesn't just work.

Even with an unlocked framerate and 120 hz mode one console just canna do it.

Bit of a shit show on the other one also apart from 120 mode. Looks like both need some sort of VRR update

it's known that VRR can't help much if the frame rate is too erratic, like in DMC5, where it goes peak to bottom too quickly. DF already mentioned this in their video on the game back then (around 7min10s in if the link does not work).

DJ12

The update for that game in particular has been corfirmed by Sony. We don't know anything about an update for Series X, but it would be a good opportunity for Capcom to fix any issues with VRR/Freesync on all platforms.
I don't think it's been updated, it's just got an unlocked framerate mode which triggers the vrr.

Arioco

I don't think it's been updated, it's just got an unlocked framerate mode which triggers the vrr.

?

I'm not sure what you mean. The game supports a 120 fps mode (that is, unlocked frame rate) since it launched, but it haven't been patched for VRR yet (it's on the list of games that will receive a future update, but we don't know when).

Last edited:

Gambit2483

If the game hasn't been officially patched I'm not really considering it to take advantage of VRR. It just doesn't seem to have the same VRR hardware level of "powering through" games like Series X does.

FrankWza

is it? It's looking the same to me as normal hdr10... For sure not as big of a jump from hdr10 to DV as it is from vsync to vrr
So far for gaming it is not. I don’t believe any games are made with dv so that contradicts what makes dv potentially better since it changes from frame to frame. Same with atmos where you will have a better experience when built with the tech in mind vs adding to an existing game or audio track. I do like dv on a dedicated uhd player I have for movies. Those same movies are really hit or miss on an atv box when using dv though. Could be caused by compression or not being native again.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It’s better. Probably just your tv is lacking.
my c1 is lacking?
I've watched few movies with it on... it looks exactly the same.
The only thin that it could work with in games is setting it correctly as DV relies on metadata from the source.
But properly set hgig looks as best as best DV

FrankWza

my c1 is lacking?
The only thin that it could work with in games is setting it correctly as DV relies on metadata from the source.
Yeah bs. That was a crap comment he made. Content matters.
Hbo max Dune dv vs uhd is night and day different

FrankWza

HBO max is your example? What games support DV on the PS5?
It’s my example vs a uhd and how poor it is.
There is no comparison on the game front. Which is why I’m not interested in “support” vs native. I don’t care if the dv indicator or atmos logo comes up on my components. I care that they are implementing them correctly.

Imtjnotu

That’s only because outputting 12bit is a waste on a PS5 for gaming. Hence why Series X gives you the option to actually choose a proper signal.
444 always looks better than 422 even in gaming. Why waste the TV pixels when you can have everyone of them in use.

444 on an oled is something special

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
All this new HDMI handshaking is a terrible user experience. Turned VRR off for now. Drives me mad seeing my LG C1 do all the handshakes one after the other and displaying the HDR icon like three times in a row. Terrible implementation.
Well the good thing about Sony TVs - you don't get any notifications - but also don't know if VRR is even engaged XD

Last edited:

Shwing

Yeah, it crossed my mind - since I'm upgrading my gaming TV I should step the size up a notch - so instead of going 55", I'm now targeting 65" - more precisely the 65XR90J.

I went to see how much price different there was between it and the LG C1 in 65" - suffice to say LG's price it's prohibitive for me.

Have you tried 65XR90J VRR on PS5?
Have now tried the current VRR implementation on the Sony XR65X90J - using both a PS5 and PC (with RTX 3070ti card).
Unless I'm missing something, when I have the PS5 VRR option set to 'Auto' & the apply to all games toggle switched to on - I see no apparent difference other than the screen seems to flicker regularly (not constant - but regular).
The same thing happens when trying it on the PC (on a different HDMI socket).
Basically when I have the VRR systems enabled on both machines & TV there is regular flickering and the overall experience is worse than VRR off.
Not a great start!?

MikeM

Have now tried the current VRR implementation on the Sony XR65X90J - using both a PS5 and PC (with RTX 3070ti card).
Unless I'm missing something, when I have the PS5 VRR option set to 'Auto' & the apply to all games toggle switched to on - I see no apparent difference other than the screen seems to flicker regularly (not constant - but regular).
Basically when I have the VRR systems enabled on both machines & TV there is regular flickering and the overall experience is worse than VRR off.
Not a great start!?
No flickering issue on my TV (Sony X900H). Is this a known issue with the x90j? Might need to do some google-fu.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Not a great start!?

I've read different takes regarding VRR on X90J. Some say flickering, others say they get vertical banding, but the general consensus seems to be that overall VRR makes the games looks worse, specially because local dimming gets turned off.

I'm gonna receive my TV later today and try it out on the next couple of days too.

Last edited:

Filben

Lucky you, on LG TVs you get one notification after another, it's true. A little annoying.
I get you, first you have this HDR icon, then the screen goes black, then something happens again, then comes the "instant game response" notification and so on. Especially on PC, when you tab out of games or change graphics settings that require the window to render newly and stuff like that. On console it's definitely more bearable.

my c1 is lacking?

On a C1, it's clear you won't really see big differences, DV is more useful with TV that are bad at HDR level from what I remembered...

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Linus recently made a video where he compared DV with HDR10 and he and ten of his people where able to spot the difference in favor of DV. Interesting video about XBOXX being used as a (non DV) BD player.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
my c1 is lacking?
OLEDs dont have good brightness compared to LEDs so maybe thats why we dont notice a big difference.

But yes, i agree, i dont get it. HDR looks better on my Sony and Samsung tvs anyway. Watch the finale of Toy Story 4 in the amusement park to see some of the best HDR ever.

Last edited:

MikeM

Might make the jump from my x900h to a LG C1. Questions for those who have it:

- I heard about ABL issues with gaming. Is this true or is it overblown?

- those who did a similar transition- how was the conpromise with brightness levels? I mainly game with it in the basement (i.e. very little light). Is it a noticeable downgrade?

Rea

Might make the jump from my x900h to a LG C1. Questions for those who have it:

- I heard about ABL issues with gaming. Is this true or is it overblown?

- those who did a similar transition- how was the conpromise with brightness levels? I mainly game with it in the basement (i.e. very little light). Is it a noticeable downgrade?
ABL is not just in gaming, it's also happens in movies too. If you consume the TV in dark room or not very bright room, should be fine. I changed from LCD to OLED last year and i can notice the ABL sometimes but the overall image quality is so much better and sometimes the HDR highlights are brighter on OLED.

Arioco

I get you, first you have this HDR icon, then the screen goes black, then something happens again, then comes the "instant game response" notification and so on. Especially on PC, when you tab out of games or change graphics settings that require the window to render newly and stuff like that. On console it's definitely more bearable.

Exactly! And VRR doesn't work without Instant Gane Response enabled. So when you boot the game you get a ton of notifications.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh fuck that. That does sound annoying. Guess I will wait on next year's OLEDs.

Used to a Sony set where it switches super fast and you don't get notifications, just hit the display button to pop up the menu to see the modes you are in (resolution, HDR, Dolby, etc).

Shwing

No flickering issue on my TV (Sony X900H). Is this a known issue with the x90j? Might need to do some google-fu.
Just to clarify, it doesn't happen constantly, but there is definitely regular texture flicker. I imagine a lot of people wouldn't notice it, unfortunately for me my image sensors are too sensitive - lol!
The fact that it also happens on 2 different HDMI ports using 2 completely different machines indicates that it's the TV firmware at fault. Note that I say firmware, as I've no doubt an update will put a tweak in place that will sort issue.
As previously mentioned though, outside of the current VRR firmware, the TV is stunning. The wife even commented the other day that the picture looked 3D to her, it was that good. (I know what she meant - bless ;) )

GymWolf

People saying that vrr doesn't help with erratic framerates and i'm here playing g-synched tiny tina on pc\lg c1 that goes erratically from 120 to 70 (and all the frames inbetween) all the fucking time while being super fluid to play...

Unless vrr on console is the shitty, ugly brother of gsync on pc, some of the things i read in here are just surprising to say the least...

SLB1904

Banned
But my LG CX can and still I see no difference at all. 🤷‍♂️
Weird. Last time I didn't have a hdr TV was years ago. But the game that makes tgat feature stand out was gt sport. The colours if the cars were pretty obvious mostly the red colour. Without hdr everything has a greyish look to it. With hdr the reds really pop

Last edited:

Arioco

Weird. Last time I didn't have a hdr TV was years ago. But the game that makes tgat feature stand out was gt sport. The colours if the cars were pretty obvious mostly the red colour. Without hdr everything has a greyish look to it. With hdr the reds really pop

I think I didn't make it clear: I definitely can tell the difference between HDR and SDR, it looks different. But I can't tell the difference between different forns of HDR, in this case I was talking about the difference between HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

SLB1904

Banned
I think I didn't make it clear: I definitely can tell the difference between HDR and SDR, it looks different. But I can't tell the difference between different forns of HDR, in this case I was talking about the difference between HDR10 and Dolby Vision.
Oh yeah same lol

Top Bottom