• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR support rolling out this week for PS5

Might make the jump from my x900h to a LG C1. Questions for those who have it:

- I heard about ABL issues with gaming. Is this true or is it overblown?

- those who did a similar transition- how was the conpromise with brightness levels? I mainly game with it in the basement (i.e. very little light). Is it a noticeable downgrade?

I have an xh90 (eu name) and bought an lg c1 because I was tired of all the issues of the sony unit. Now I have both in different rooms and I must say that the picture quality, at least for my tastes, is excellent for both tvs. The xh90 even tops in some cases the lg c1 for me.

Of course I'm happy because the lg c1 works flawlessly and I don't have to deal with halved resolution at 4k 120hz and poor picture quality with VRR enabled.

The ABL is there and it kicks in anytime there's a full screen bright scene, but it is not an issue for me, I barely notice it.

As for brightness, I think that the c1 is actually brighter than the xh90.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Still no video on VRR from DF or NXGamer. They're taking their time this time.

last time i remember they did a video about flight simulator where they said they couldnt calculate what the real framerate is or something with VRR

there was a point in that game (himalayan mountains, relatively light GPU load) where VRR readout showed 80-90 hz. they did not clarify whether the game was running at 40 45 fps or 80 90 fps. matched settings with matched configurations (3060ti+3700x) did indeed ran that mountain area at 80 90 fps but sadly i have no idea if thats the case for series x or not

i guess they're trying to find ways to reliably calculate variable framerates when LFC is involved

Last edited:

yamaci17

elanalista says he used a special asus monitor for his vrr video.
he also says vrr capture on current capture cardws are impossible

alox is sceptical xd

it should be possible to built a system in monitor/screen that logs framerate in a smart way;
if lfc is activated, divide it by lfc multiplier and log it

Last edited:

El gallo

But my LG CX can and still I see no difference at all. 🤷‍♂️
DV colors tend to have more pop. Watch any uhd movie disc you own in HDR, then go watch that movie in Apple app. If the movie supports DV on the Apple app you will 100 percent see the difference.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Just some semi related info to read

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertain...sedgntp&cvid=038c114239f54f1a818978adf30493b6

VESA, the computer display organization behind standards like the DisplayPort interface, has a new certification program that’s designed to help customers find better variable refresh rate monitors. Unlike its previous HDR certification program, which measured things like peak brightness, the new Adaptive-Sync Display Compliance Test Specification (or Adaptive-Sync Display CTS) is designed specifically for variable refresh rate displays, looking out for glitches like flicker and dropped frames.

Variable refresh rate (VRR) is a technology that allows a display to synchronize its refresh rate to the output of whatever device is plugged into it, reducing the appearance of visual artifacts, screen tearing, and frame pacing issues. When support for VRR first started appearing on graphics cards and monitors, it tended to be tied to specific manufacturers: G-Sync for Nvidia and FreeSync for AMD. But in 2014, VESA built native Adaptive-Sync support into DisplayPort 1.2a based on tech provided by AMD, and now it’s a standard that’s cross-compatible with graphics processors from all three major manufacturers: Intel, AMD, and Nvidia.

Nvidia and AMD already have certification tests for their own standards
Both Nvidia and AMD have long offered their own certification schemes for VRR displays using their proprietary standards, but it’s more of a wild west when it comes to the open Adaptive-Sync standard. When Nvidia started testing Adaptive-Sync monitors back in 2019 as part of its “G-Sync Compatible” initiative, only 5.56 percent of the models it tested actually passed. They either didn’t offer a broad enough range of refresh rates or had other image quality issues like flickering.

VESA’s new certification is designed to offer similar assurances about a monitor or laptop’s Adaptive-Sync support. But unlike Nvidia or AMD’s certifications, it’s an open source industry standard, and its testing criteria is public.

“There’s obviously proprietary standards from the GPU vendors, but they’ve never disclosed the full extent of their tests,” Roland Wooster, Intel engineer and chairman of the VESA task group that came up with its new test, tells me over a Zoom call. Look at Nvidia’s website, for example, and you’ll see that it says a monitor needs to go through over 300 tests to earn itself a G-Sync logo, but it’s less forthcoming about exactly what these tests are. And that’s generated some confusion over the years, particularly when it comes to criteria like “Lifelike HDR.”

“They’ve never disclosed the full extent of their tests”
With its certification, VESA is testing raw Adaptive-Sync performance, rather than GPU specific standards like FreeSync or G-Sync. For that reason, VESA expects its certification logos to often sit alongside manufacturer-specific equivalents. A G-Sync logo tells you how a monitor will perform with an Nvidia GPU, but a VESA Adaptive-Sync logo can tell you how a monitor will perform with any Adaptive-Sync capable source.

Importantly, VESA’s Adaptive-Sync tech is only available for its own DisplayPort standard, which is used across monitors and laptops (including whenever you transmit video via USB-C). Unfortunately, it’s not going to help you pick out one of the increasing numbers of TVs that offer VRR support via HDMI 2.1 where standards are even more of a wild west.

But, as well as being more public, Wooster suggests that VESA’s new certification standard holds displays to a higher standard than these vendor-specific certifications. “We’ve seen some monitors that have met those certifications that have flicker, that have jitter, and which don’t meet the gray-to-gray specs that we have here,” he says. In a follow-up email, he tells me he expects significantly less than half of the Adaptive-Sync monitors on the market to meet VESA’s standards, similar to what Nvidia found when it introduced its own certification for Adaptive-Sync displays.

Under VESA’s certification, there are two compliance logos that displays can earn. MediaSync is meant for monitors you might use to watch videos or use for content creation, while AdaptiveSync is aimed at gaming monitors. If their device passes these tests, manufacturers are allowed to plaster the relevant logos across the product’s box, website, or wherever it thinks potential customers might see it. A display that fails the tests can’t use the logo, but manufacturers don’t need to disclose a failure publicly.

The MediaSync logo, focused on video playback.
© Image: VESAThe MediaSync logo, focused on video playback.
The AdaptiveSync logo is meant for gaming monitors.
© Image: VESAThe AdaptiveSync logo is meant for gaming monitors.
The first of the two logos is called MediaSync. The focus here is making sure monitors are able to play back video content — with less than 1ms of jitter — at each of the ten major international frame rate standards (23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 47.952, 48, 50, 59.94, and 60fps — where 23.976 has often been typical for film content in America). It sounds like a simple ask, but 24fps content can have real problems when playing on 60Hz displays, because the frames don’t divide evenly into the refresh rate of the screen. Three-two pull down was a common way of dealing with the problem (where the first frame is displayed twice, the second thrice, the third twice, and so on), but it can create unpleasant juddering. A MediaSync logo means a monitor can use Adaptive-Sync to avoid any such issues.

The second is the AdaptiveSync logo, which is aimed at high refresh rate gaming monitors. So for starters, a monitor with an AdaptiveSync logo needs to be able to run at a maximum refresh rate of 144Hz or more at native resolution in factory default mode, and its adaptive refresh rate needs to be able to go down to 60Hz. That might not seem like a very low floor, but Wooster explains that if your framerate drops lower, to 58fps for example, then a monitor would be expected to use frame-doubling to bring it up to 116fps, and bring it back into its adaptive sync range.

If a monitor can reach 144Hz then you’ll see a “Display 144” box to the right of the certification logo, but Wooster tells me that this number will reflect whatever a monitor’s maximum refresh rate is — whether it’s 144, 240, or 360Hz — at native resolution.

A thorough and open approach
It’s not simply enough to be able to display this range of framerates. To be certified, a monitor needs to be able to do it well. That means not showing a level of flicker that’s visible to the naked eye, even when a monitor’s framerate is rapidly changing. It means not dropping frames — which can happen when a monitor provides an input with support for higher frame rates than a panel actually supports.

VESA is also taking a detailed approach to how it measures response time, or the time it takes for a monitor’s pixels to update. Across the industry it’s common to see this expressed as a “gray to gray” response time, or roughly the time it takes for a pixel to change from one shade of gray to another. If response times are too slow, monitor’s can exhibit “ghosting,” where the remains of a previous image are still visible on a screen as the pixels struggle to keep up. In order to get an AdaptiveSync logo, a monitor will have to have a response time of under 5ms.

5ms might seem high compared to the 1ms response times that a lot of manufacturers claim their monitors are capable of. But in real world tests, like those conducted by Rtings, response times are generally a lot higher than 1ms. Rtings generally classes any response time of under 6ms as a “good value.”

Manufacturers like to make these claims about 1ms response times because they’re not being as rigorous with their testing as independent reviewers like Rtings, or VESA’s test centers. Some manufacturers, Wooster says, might perform a number of gray-to-gray changes and then cherry-pick the best result. Others might benefit from the fact that a warmer panel can respond markedly quicker than a cold one. Overdrive might be used to achieve a faster response time on paper, but at the expense of ugly visual artifacts.

The first certified monitors will be added to VESA’s list today
VESA’s solution is to measure a variety of different gray-to-gray transitions (20 in total) and to take an average, rather than cherry-picking the best result. Tests are conducted with an ambient temperature of between 22.5 and 24.5 degrees Celsius (72.5 - 76 Fahrenheit, and monitors are given time to reach a stable temperature first), and limits are placed on how much overshoot and undershoot a monitor is able to show and still pass.

Wooster declined to say how many VESA members he expects to pay for their devices to eventually be MediaSync or AdaptiveSync certified (the fee is the same whether a display passes or fails), but the first certified monitors should appear on VESA’s website starting today. He points towards the number of devices that currently carry one of VESA’s HDR certifications as an example of the amount of monitors and laptops we might eventually see carrying the new Adaptive-Sync logos.

Considering VESA’s formidable list of members from across the display industry, these little orange and blue logos could quickly become an essential mark of quality when buying your next monitor or laptop.

Filben

People saying that vrr doesn't help with erratic framerates and i'm here playing g-synched tiny tina on pc\lg c1 that goes erratically from 120 to 70 (and all the frames inbetween) all the fucking time while being super fluid to play...

Unless vrr on console is the shitty, ugly brother of gsync on pc, some of the things i read in here are just surprising to say the least...
Depends on the game. Tiny Tina may work but fluctuating FPS in Control, for instance, are still stuttery. This might indicate a whole different problem that can't be mitigated by VRR in this case though. Anyhow, it might lead to people think VRR doesn't work.

Saucy Papi

What the hell is wrong with some people here? We finally get VRR on PS5 which will make games even better for people with a VRR tv, but somehow people get triggered whenever they see the word VRR. I don't care on what platform you play or what tv you have, this update is nice and i appreciate it. This will make my PS5 games even better now and look smoother.
Kind of a late response but I wouldn't worry too much about it. I thought you brought up some valid points for discussion and unfortunately, got nothing more than vitriolic statements in return as opposed to valid disagreements. I'm not sure if it's maybe just been a new wave of sign ups that are more aggressive than usual but I've noticed the same thing lately as well. Just put them on your ignore list and move on.

FrankWza

DV colors tend to have more pop. Watch any uhd movie disc you own in HDR, then go watch that movie in Apple app. If the movie supports DV on the Apple app you will 100 percent see the difference.
Seems that for games, hdr works better. Not sure if it’s because the data changes from frame to frame in dv or because most games that support it are not native. The one game that is native dv is halo infinite and that did not work out well as far as dv is concerned. As far as Apple TV, uhds look way better when comparing dv titles. There are exceptions that are closer in quality but for the most part I find the equivalent to be far in favor of uhd. Could be a data limitation on streaming but I’m not sure.

From what I've played so far on ps5, it is significantly less fluid than my g-sync experience. G-sync was a revelation for me, as it is incredibly smooth and unmissable. The effect on ps5 is almost unnoticeable for me. May be the games, may be the system, but not terribly impressed so far. Can anyone who has both (gsync & ps5) comment on your experience?

Poplin

still not showing up on my PS5 :( wonder why, its all up to date and my TV supports VRR, so im confused what else i have to do to get it to pop up

mitchman

Gold Member
still not showing up on my PS5 :( wonder why, its all up to date and my TV supports VRR, so im confused what else i have to do to get it to pop up
Did you restart the console? It's not a firmware update, it's just an over-the-air config change that happens on startup.

omegasc

try going to safe mode (turn off, then on again using the console button, holding it until the second beep) and re-apply the FW update (it should not change any settings). After that, it should come up. If not, then go to Update System Features and it should trigger the update.
I had to do it, as something was wrong after I went back to the Official Release from the last Beta. Even the Steelseries DAC on USB was acting weird and is normal again.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

If necessary, disconnect power from your PS5 for half a minute and then plug it back in and turn it on.

I'm sure that option will be there.

kyliethicc

Oh fuck that. That does sound annoying. Guess I will wait on next year's OLEDs.

Used to a Sony set where it switches super fast and you don't get notifications, just hit the display button to pop up the menu to see the modes you are in (resolution, HDR, Dolby, etc).
The Sony A80K OLED should be an excellent option this year.

Still no DF video on VRR? After all their complaints on the ps5 lacking this feature…
G A M E . C H A N G E R .

Last edited:

El gallo

Seems that for games, hdr works better. Not sure if it’s because the data changes from frame to frame in dv or because most games that support it are not native. The one game that is native dv is halo infinite and that did not work out well as far as dv is concerned. As far as Apple TV, uhds look way better when comparing dv titles. There are exceptions that are closer in quality but for the most part I find the equivalent to be far in favor of uhd. Could be a data limitation on streaming but I’m not sure.
I like you Frank, but your crazy with this one. Go watch HDTV YouTube video on this topic. A lot of Apple TV movies that have DV look better than their disc counter parts. Apple also has the highest bit rate compared to any other steaming platform. You can only tell the difference with sound quality

You are correct when it comes to gaming tho. HDR is done better than DV right now

Last edited:

FrankWza

I like you Frank, but your crazy with this one. Go watch HDTV YouTube video on this topic. A lot of Apple TV movies that have DV look better than their disc counter parts. Apple also has the highest bit rate compared to any other steaming platform. You can only tell the difference with sound quality

You are correct when it comes to gaming tho. HDR is done better than DV right now
I actually did misread what you wrote and thought you were referring to apps on an Apple TV box in general not the Apple TV app specifically. It’s possible but I don’t have any of those movies to compare on disc. I only use that app for their original content.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Have any PS5 owners with VRR displays tried Tales of Arise ? (there's a free demo available).

On Xbox at least, that is one game where in it's resolution mode, VRR on and off is immediately and extremely visible.

Wondering if PS5 folks are also seeing the incredible improvements in judder/response.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Still no DF video on VRR? After all their complaints on the ps5 lacking this feature…

Let's be honest, its pretty obvious that no one wants to do it because they are going to have to say its not quite as good as xbox and the fanboy warriors are going to attack the shit out of them for even saying it. It will be coming but I am sure they are all biding their time.

It's awesome that it's got VRR now and I look forward to it being Improved on, but it's pretty obvious that Sony needs to somehow get a system wide 120hz to get it on par with xbox and DF or Nxgamer probably doesn't want to have to be the one to say it as they know the crazies on both sides will rush to twitter to splurge their awfulness. Xbox fans will use it as some win and playstation fans will say they are taking sides or something. I dunno, but it will be more un needed pain.

Last edited:

omegasc

Have any PS5 owners with VRR displays tried Tales of Arise ? (there's a free demo available).

On Xbox at least, that is one game where in it's resolution mode, VRR on and off is immediately and extremely visible.

Wondering if PS5 folks are also seeing the incredible improvements in judder/response.
I did and I think I posted here. I did not play much, only one area and some fights, but Graphics mode is basically smooth now. I would choose it over Performance now. But I am done with it.
Indeed this game is a showcase of the benefits of VRR, while also serving as argument for "lazy ports VRR crutch" as well! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Let's be honest, its pretty obvious that no one wants to do it because they are going to have to say its not quite as good as xbox and the fanboy warriors are going to attack the shit out of them for even saying it. It will be coming but I am sure they are all biding their time.

It's awesome that it's got VRR now and I look forward to it being Improved on, but it's pretty obvious that Sony needs to somehow get a system wide 120hz to get it on par with xbox and DF or Nxgamer probably doesn't want to have to be the one to say it as they know the crazies on both sides will rush to twitter to splurge their awfulness. Xbox fans will use it as some win and playstation fans will say they are taking sides or something. I dunno, but it will be more un needed pain.
They need to embrace Freesync as well and maybe thats coming

adamsapple

I did and I think I posted here. I did not play much, only one area and some fights, but Graphics mode is basically smooth now. I would choose it over Performance now. But I am done with it.
Indeed this game is a showcase of the benefits of VRR, while also serving as argument for "lazy ports VRR crutch" as well! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

True, true. Just an empty area with nothing fails to come close to 60 in the resolution mode. And it's really weird that there isn't much of a difference in IQ in the frame rate mode, so pre-VRR it was almost pointless to use the Resolution mode.

Arioco

I don't have that game but I've tried Resident Evil VIII (RT enabled, of course, otherwise the game runs at flawless 60 fps) and yes, it's smoother. I wonder what the future patch they announced will do, because the game already runs pretty well with VRR enabled.

adamsapple

I don't have that game but I've tried Resident Evil VIII (RT enabled, of course, otherwise the game runs at flawless 60 fps) and yes, it's smoother. I wonder what the future patch they announced will do, because the game already runs pretty well with VRR enabled.

They announced next gen patches for 7 and 2/3 Remakes. Not for Village.

Village already has the RT reflections and based on the screens they've shown, RT reflections is the big thing they're bolting onto the older games.

Mr Moose

Village already has the RT reflections and based on the screens they've shown, RT reflections is the big thing they're bolting onto the older games.
VRR patch coming for Village.
In the coming weeks, the PS5 versions of these titles will receive game patches enabling VRR support:

• Astro’s Playroom
  • Call of Duty: Vanguard
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  • Deathloop
  • Destiny 2
  • Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition
  • DIRT 5
  • Godfall
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • Resident Evil Village
  • Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege
  • Tribes of Midgard

Arioco

Come on, dude, it's on the PlayStation Blog. Didn't you know there's a patch for RE Village coming?

adamsapple

Come on, dude, it's on the PlayStation Blog. Didn't you know there's a patch for RE Village coming?

oh, I was talking about the official Capcom next gen patch for the older games, didn't realize you were talking about the new crop of VRR patches.

On Village: If they're gonna unlock frame rate, probably gonna be on the non RT version cause the RT version barely locks at 60, so it won't have much benefit.

Last edited:

TrackZ

So I’ve been playing with VRR now on the PS5 and my 3090 ti PC. Sony X900H TV. PS5 seems to make it easy to set and see the results.

PC, I’m not so sure. I have the Gsync compatible display open in the Nvidia control panel. I have the output set to 4k/120 Hz as setting for Windows. The Gsync options on for using the display capabilities.

I thought I should now be turning vsync off. Limit FPS to 120. Should all work VRR, but I’m seeing tearing still in games like Hot Wheels. Should I still be running vsync on? What about the gsync setting for full screen only vs. full screen an windowed? I presume this a full screen only technology.

Looking for info/how to data seems hard to find. Curious for proper recommendation. I think an LG OLED 83” is in my future sooner than later…

Chaplain

I tried VRR on my Vizio M50Q6-J01. To much lag for me. I will not use VRR until I buy another TV.

Last edited:

Arioco

He did a video about VRR 5 days ago. What are you talking about??

Oh, yes, he commented the PS5 was getting VRR in a video where he talks about V-cache and Spectrum becoming 40 years old. 🙄 No games tested, no nothing...

I'm obviously talking about the video Michael himself mentions at 8:20, the one he'll be doing exclusively about VRR on PS5.

assurdum

Banned

I don't believe for a second DF miss the opportunity to claim how much better is VRR on Xbox console with a dedicate video and how tragic is the difference between 40/48hz. They already started with their preliminaries in the last video.

Last edited:

Killer8

Interesting video.

In summary us Sony fans have been sold a lie, VRR doesn't just work.

Even with an unlocked framerate and 120 hz mode one console just canna do it.

Bit of a shit show on the other one also apart from 120 mode. Looks like both need some sort of VRR update

I want to see how the game performs with the console output set to 60hz. The DF video said that RT performance mode stuck to 60fps most of the time with minor dips below that. If 60hz plus VRR to mop up any dips below that worked, that should be the best way to play. Or even RT quality mode, but I believe that drops below the 48fps minimum window that's been quoted for VRR on PS5.

They better fix the broken HDR implementation on PS5 while they are at it.

Last edited:

solidus12

If à 60fps game reaches 40fps, I will put the blame on the game’s lack of optimisation rather than its VRR implementation.

It should be concerning that 60fps would drop this low.

Last edited:

elanalista says he used a special asus monitor for his vrr video.
he also says vrr capture on current capture cardws are impossible

alox is sceptical xd

it should be possible to built a system in monitor/screen that logs framerate in a smart way;
if lfc is activated, divide it by lfc multiplier and log it

Couldn't you just tell if isn't LFC by the behavior?

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Which TV do you own? Based on that information look up how to setup vrr on your Ps5. It is different for some tvs.

Example my TV I had to go into my settings, change the input to vrr, unplug my hdmi and reset my ps5.

Tygeezy

VRR works great in Spiderman for performance rt. It looks like there is no low framerate compensation. Fidelity mode displays 119 fps on my c1 and it most definitely isn't that framerate. My guess is it's 40 fps and because of the lack of lfc vsync becomes engaged at 120 hz. Performance RT looks outstanding, runs and feels better than ever though being able to exceed 60 fps.

SLB1904

Banned

Most of ps5 games have solid framrate, so far I haven't experience nothing game changer tbh, other than insomniac games with obvious bump in framerate, but again I don't play everything

Most of ps5 games have solid framrate, so far I haven't experience nothing game changer tbh, other than insomniac games with obvious bump in framerate, but again I don't play everything

Same. Judder isn’t really an issue unless I’m playing something like Elden Ring. Before that game I never experienced it on my PS5. Now I agree that going above 60FPS should improve response times. However my monitor doesn’t go beyond 60Hz so I can’t play my games at a higher framerate to experience even better response times.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Isn't VRR still supposed to be great even if you aren't experiencing framerate dips?

I thought LFC was separate, and not the only thing making VRR great.

Tygeezy

I’m a bit lost here. Isn’t VRR doing it’s work when the framerate is unstable?
It's also nice because you can lock in framerates that aren't multiples of 120, 60 ect. So you could lock in say 77 or maybe even 93 fps? You also have less input lag not running into the vsync ceiling which will cause buffering of frames.

It's also nice because you can lock in framerates that aren't multiples of 120, 60 ect. So you could lock in say 77 or maybe even 93 fps? You also have less input lag not running into the vsync ceiling which will cause buffering of frames.

Talking about response times. A 60FPS title with VRR should feel the same as Vsynced title at 60FPS. Now if the framerate dips or goes above 60FPS then the title will feel different.

I’m just curious if a VRR title at 60FPS will have the same response time as a vsynced title at 60FPS. Assuming that both run at a locked 60FPS with no variation in FPS.

Tygeezy

Talking about response times. A 60FPS title with VRR should feel the same as Vsynced title at 60FPS. Now if the framerate dips or goes above 60FPS then the title will feel different.

I’m just curious if a VRR title at 60FPS will have the same response time as a vsynced title at 60FPS. Assuming that both run at a locked 60FPS with no variation in FPS.
It will have the same latency yes. You unfortunately run into the vsync ceiling at that point. It’s why on pc you cap your frame rate 2-3 fps below the refresh rate ceiling so you don’t run into vsync added latency.

58 fps at 60 hz vrr has lower latency than 60 fps at 60 hz.

Top Bottom