• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR support rolling out this week for PS5

This guy gets it, the certain crowd is needlessly hounding poor Rick.

Freesync is VRR.

VRR is just an abbreviation for variable refresh rate, of which Freesync is one form.

HDMI based VRR is also the same but as done by the HDMI consortium.

Most TVs only support the official standard as specified by the HDMI consortium...

And consoles are meant to be connected to TVs, not PC monitors...

That's why 1440p is useless on consoles

George Rr Martin Fire GIF by BANDAI NAMCO

Wonder if it’s a good time to upgrade my monitor. Always was thinking about going with a dual screen setup.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Most TVs only support the official standard as specified by the HDMI consortium...

And consoles are meant to be connected to TVs, not PC monitors...

That's why 1440p is useless on consoles

This was probably true in the PS2 generation, but 360 onwards have been extremely good on PC monitors. Those consoles also have native support for 1440p. Hell, 360 even have native support for arbitrary PC resolutions like 1024 x 768 back in the day.

It's just a Sony thing, they held back on VRR for PS5 until they got it working on their TVs, they do things that works best on their own TV technology first and foremost.

Hence you're probably never going to see a non-TV standard resolution on their consoles.

(PS: I'm speaking as a console owner who has both my PS4 Pro and Series X connected to a 4K VRR PC monitor).

Last edited:

GHG

Wonder if it’s a good time to upgrade my monitor. Always was thinking about going with a dual screen setup.

Unless you need dual screens for productivity purposes you'll probably be better off getting a 42-50" TV from LG/Sony/Samsung.

Last edited:
I wonder if it means more unlocked framerate games from Sony. Insomniac has already confirmed it.

Otherwise its pointless for most games on the system. I dont remember seeing any framedrops in Ratchet, Demon Souls, Spiderman, Returnal and Horizon. Probably because they use DRS. Maybe they can disable DRS and unlock the framerate now.

Give me an unlocked Horizon mode at 1440p. None of this bullshit 1800p cb stuff. Just do a traditional 1440p mode and let the framerate be whatever it needs to be.
They shouldn't bother. The vast majority of PS5 players are playing on television sets (like they should).

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

I have been dual monitoring for about half of my life and honestly I can go back to 1 monitor.But i have some attention trouble so it is always good to have multiple things to focus on.When I was younger I used to watch multiple series at the same times or watch a movie while playing games.It is even better for games that needs a guide(or cheat codes for older games).And now that I live with my girlfriend having 2 screens is a blessing.

This was probably true in the PS2 generation, but 360 onwards have been extremely good on PC monitors. Those consoles also have native support for 1440p. Hell, 360 even have native support for arbitrary PC resolutions like 1024 x 768 back in the day.

It's just a Sony thing, they held back on VRR for PS5 until they got it working on their TVs, they do things that works best on their own TV technology first and foremost.

Hence you're probably never going to see a non-TV standard resolution on their consoles.

(PS: I'm speaking as a console owner who has both my PS4 Pro and Series X connected to a 4K VRR PC monitor).

Even on Xbox (every model) if you output at 1440p, you are stuck in SDR mode...

2160p is a requirement for HDR

Last edited:

adamsapple

Even on Xbox (every model) if you output at 1440p, you are stuck in SDR mode...

2160p is a requirement for HDR

You can set your system resolution to 1440p, check the "Enable 4K" box and you should be able to use HDR without any issues.

The games will get super sampled to your displays 1440p resolution from whatever their native resolution is and you get HDR.

I have been dual monitoring for about half of my life and honestly I can go back to 1 monitor.But i have some attention trouble so it is always good to have multiple things to focus on.When I was younger I used to watch multiple series at the same times or watch a movie while playing games.It is even better for games that needs a guide(or cheat codes for older games).And now that I live with my girlfriend having 2 screens is a blessing.

Basically my idea is to keep my old monitor for my PC and then use the new one with my PS5 and PC. But I want to make sure the monitor is 4K and supports VRR at a minimum so if I need it I’ll have access to the feature. I personally didn’t ever feel I needed it to enjoy my games but it can help improve my experience with some of them.

What has he worked with on Starfield? I've never seen that. If he bought Xbox that would be unfortunate, but I'd hang in there. You have to have some values. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Oh, he's very tight with Bethesda and Todd, and he's very much into gaming. Now, it just so happens that he, due to his Tesla and SpaceX stuff, has all kinds of access to various people who can give very detailed and significant information to the dev studio on the various mechanisms and inner workings of pieces of real equipment and where the tech would be years from now IF certain challenges were solved, of which a videogame has no such limitation. And so Bethesda has no doubt been picking his people's brain, of which I'm sure he has gladly made them available to help since he's also looking forward to the game. He was also part of a sit down discussion where Todd Howard talked about the game. If you notice inside the stuff that has been show so far, especially inside the ships, they seem to have nailed the basic functionality of various things and have implemented them pretty well by the looks of what footage we have seen thus far.

I'm certain before long or come release we will hear about some level of his involvement on the game depending on how much Microsoft or Bethesda wish to highlight that aspect.

You can set your system resolution to 1440p, check the "Enable 4K" box and you should be able to use HDR without any issues.

The games will get super sampled to your displays 1440p resolution from whatever their native resolution is and you get HDR.

No, it was already explained many times.

1440p HDR is not possible on Xbox

If you check enable 4K you are enabling 2160p output again when the game starts

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Basically my idea is to keep my old monitor for my PC and then use the new one with my PS5 and PC. But I want to make sure the monitor is 4K and supports VRR at a minimum so if I need it I’ll have access to the feature. I personally didn’t ever feel I needed it to enjoy my games but it can help improve my experience with some of them.
Yep, I'm in a similar setup.I use an old 1080p TV for side internet pages or videos and my 4k Tv for ps5/Pc (quick tip: I set a custom resolution on nvidia control panel (basically supersampling) to output a 4K signal on my 1080p TV, it helps avoiding weird resizing of windows and mouse being "locked" since the left screen is a quarter of my tv's resolution).
I almost always game on my TV except if the lady need to watch a show on TV but hey 1 evening once a week ain't that big of a deal.

Last edited:
This guy gets it, the certain crowd is needlessly hounding poor Rick.

Freesync is VRR.

VRR is just an abbreviation for variable refresh rate, of which Freesync is one form.

HDMI based VRR is also the same but as done by the HDMI consortium.
To be fair, they did this to themselves...

adamsapple

No, it was already explained many times.

1440p HDR is not possible on Xbox

If you check enable 4K you are enabling 2160p output again when the game starts

Right but that's not gonna make a difference as games will super sample, games render at their resolution regardless of what you set your system to.

If you're looking for all games to render natively at 1440p if you set system to 1440p, that's a whole different topic and it doesn't happen on the current consoles.

Right but that's not gonna make a difference as games will super sample, games render at their resolution regardless of what you set your system to.

If you're looking for all games to render natively at 1440p if you set system to 1440p, that's a whole different topic and it doesn't happen on the current consoles.

The 1440p monitor has to accept a 2160p input signal and downscale it. Not many do...

Not even the latest Ultrawide QD-OLED by Dell

Last edited:
Most popular game out right now on all platforms including consoles is ELDEN RING!
....and it runs like dog shyt without VRR enabled on all platforms.

For playstation players that play elden ring, this update will be a god send provided it supports VRR.
Actually, Elden Ring PS4 version runs perfectly on PS5. And it's still the best option with much less pop-in compared to PS5 and XSS/X. Not to mention the long load times on Xbox.

DaGwaphics

Oh, he's very tight with Bethesda and Todd, and he's very much into gaming. Now, it just so happens that he, due to his Tesla and SpaceX stuff, has all kinds of access to various people who can give very detailed and significant information to the dev studio on the various mechanisms and inner workings of pieces of real equipment and where the tech would be years from now IF certain challenges were solved, of which a videogame has no such limitation. And so Bethesda has no doubt been picking his people's brain, of which I'm sure he has gladly made them available to help since he's also looking forward to the game. He was also part of a sit down discussion where Todd Howard talked about the game. If you notice inside the stuff that has been show so far, especially inside the ships, they seem to have nailed the basic functionality of various things and have implemented them pretty well by the looks of what footage we have seen thus far.

I'm certain before long or come release we will hear about some level of his involvement on the game depending on how much Microsoft or Bethesda wish to highlight that aspect.

Off topic for the thread. But I love the attention to detail, if that is the case. I try not to consider politics and the like for insignificant things like entertainment, etc. Whatever involvement he has there doesn't bother me, plus it's not like I know what his views are on specific things in any detail. The Twitter thing can have major implications in a lot of things, so that's a bit different for me. Free speech on Twitter I've got no problem with, but he has hinted at supporting intentional misinformation campaigns that can be very negative for society and even public health.

Odd that this update is going to be “rolled out” this week. Firmware updates are usually global and released worldwide at the same time as far as I’m aware. Does this rollout means that Sony is releasing the update in certain territories/countries first?

DaGwaphics

This. Plus, most 1440p screens have no problem super-sampling from a 4k signal, so the resolution still has some merit if a lot of the content isn't really hitting 4k but is higher than 1440. Obviously best if the console handles the scaling, but it can be done without it.

Actually, you're still full of shit and none of this is true. I guarantee you haven't played the XSX version because you clearly have no clue what you are talking about.

Off topic for the thread. But I love the attention to detail, if that is the case. I try not to consider politics and the like for insignificant things like entertainment, etc. Whatever involvement he has there doesn't bother me, plus it's not like I know what his views are on specific things in any detail. The Twitter thing can have major implications in a lot of things, so that's a bit different for me. Free speech on Twitter I've got no problem with, but he has hinted at supporting intentional misinformation campaigns that can be very negative for society and even public health.

Yea, I take no issue with that. It's entertainment. And agreed on his support of those misinformation campaigns. Super dangerous, but alas I've put it out of mind. For people that wanted to be able to reach me, I just told them they can hit me up on discord and other people have my personal number. Shame, too, cause I genuinely always liked twitter, but gotta put it aside.

FUBARx89

Wonder why they won't be supporting freesync or if they'll update it to include it.

Eitherway Samsung will probably cock something up like they did for 4k 120hz support for the ps5 lol.

Top Bottom